• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

i loved The Signal. i cant get enough madness in horror.

Sinister

i saw Sinister the other day. i really enjoyed it. i assumed it would be something like that Keaton movie EVP for some stupid reason. Sinister is great. Some absolutely horrifying imagery. These scenes could be the lost Poughkeepsie Tapes. i dont want to say anything more so as to not spoil the scares.

The only thing negative i have to say about the movie was the ending and thats honestly because i didnt want it to end. If you dont like this movie, we like completely different types of horror. Maybe Final Destination might be more up your alley?

ryan.jpg

An-Det

Noroi

6185586217_cb095a7bce.jpg

This guy ruined an otherwise pretty decent movie...

That crazy dude was definitely the weak part of the movie for me, but I didn't mind too much since it fit well enough in the story (with the main guy interviewing people, a nutjob seemed appropriate).

That crazy dude was definitely the weak part of the movie for me, but I didn't mind too much since it fit well enough in the story (with the main guy interviewing people, a nutjob seemed appropriate).
I would have liked it if they made him more unstable. That part where he
suddenly lunges at the actress on stage and everyone rightfully freaks out
was his finest, shining moment.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

Crazy guy i didnt like until the late into the movie. When the credits rolled i loved him.

any notable new dvd/br horror releases?

i also really enjoyed this. not quite as much as grave encounters but still very well made.

If you liked Tunnel, check out Absentia. It was funded via kickstarter and I thought it was pretty damn creepy and well made, moreso than Tunnel actually

Edit - gotta check out Signal and Sinister. Both sound like they'd be up my alley

Baffey

Neo Member
I watched Texas Chainsaw 3D last night, all I have to say is that movie is a tragedy. Absolutely horrible. I couldn't stand the corny one liners. Do yourself a favour and save that $16.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i loved The Signal. i cant get enough madness in horror.

Sinister

i saw Sinister the other day. i really enjoyed it. i assumed it would be something like that Keaton movie EVP for some stupid reason. Sinister is great. Some absolutely horrifying imagery. These scenes could be the lost Poughkeepsie Tapes. i dont want to say anything more so as to not spoil the scares.

The only thing negative i have to say about the movie was the ending and thats honestly because i didnt want it to end. If you dont like this movie, we like completely different types of horror. Maybe Final Destination might be more up your alley?

Grave Encounters
ive heard a lot about the movie but havent been interested in it. ive heard awful things and for some reason it struck me (from what little i actually knew/heard/saw) like mix between The Barton Mansion video, a really bad "ghost hunters" TV crew out of the element like that one movie which name i cant remember right now, and an extremely low budget found footage horror movie. i couldnt have been more wrong.

i was basically completely in the dark about what would happen but i was thoroughly entertained. i would definitely recommend this movie.

Grave Encounters 2
Not as strong as the first movie but i appreciated how they addressed the movie. The lowest part of GE2 is a scene or two that retread the first movie a little too closely, but things quickly pick back up. i strongly recommend but i could understand why someone wouldnt enjoy this.

just saw sinister based on your rec.

really excellent horror flick, super fucking creepy. i agree the end was a touch weaker than the rest of the movie, but all in all a totally worthwhile movie. solid B+

i'm gonna watch something dumb and colorful to clense my pallet before bed. woof.

also i'm a big fan of GE and i always tell people not to watch GE2. i really disliked it as a movie, and i thought it even went so far as to make the first movie a little worse with how it dealt with the mysteries.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
just saw sinister based on your rec.

really excellent horror flick, super fucking creepy. i agree the end was a touch weaker than the rest of the movie, but all in all a totally worthwhile movie. solid B+

i'm gonna watch something dumb and colorful to clense my pallet before bed. woof.

also i'm a big fan of GE and i always tell people not to watch GE2. i really disliked it as a movie, and i thought it even went so far as to make the first movie a little worse with how it dealt with the mysteries.

The music. The music is incredible! All of the tape music is so unsettling.

I agree. Everything about GE2 sucked...its one of those horror flicks were I wanted everyone to die. That Alex kid...god damn i hate him so much

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Looks like The Signal is up next for me...

The music. The music is incredible! All of the tape music is so unsettling.

unsettling is a perfect word for it. still gives me the willies the morning after.

I agree. Everything about GE2 sucked...its one of those horror flicks were I wanted everyone to die. That Alex kid...god damn i hate him so much

yeah everyone in that movie sucked, and it made the cool guy from GE1 look like a cartoon character. woof.

Saw Mama tonight. I enjoyed it. Not especially scary or anything, but a good and dark fairy tale, which is the sort of thing you hope for whenever Del Toro puts his name to something. The ghost thing was cool and the acting was good (like, everything was played pretty believable, almost like you might expect from a drama about adopting kids raised by wolves or something). The only thing I didn't much like falls under spoiler territory:

The Uncle near the end decides to check himself out of the hospital and drive off to investigate the creepy woods without telling anyone because... I'm not sure actually. This goes nowhere. He wanders around the woods for a bit and randomly meets up with Jessica Chastain later. The whole thing served no purpose at all. He could have just left the hospital to go home and have found Chastain unconscious at home and driven out to the woods with her.

aside from that, I enjoyed it. personally I liked it more than Sinister, which I'll go into more detail on, if Mama > Sinister proves to be seen as a crazy opinion.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Fans of Session 9, Grave Encounters and The Descent should definitely check out The Tunnel. It's a movie made for free torrent distribution so it should, by all rights, be absolutely terrible. I was surprised that it was quite well done and had some decent scares. Definitely worth a look.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1735485/

Not that special, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Worth a watch indeed.

Watched Wolf Creek last night. Didn't expect much, but I was really surprised. Unsettling film with some disturbing moments. The impressive vistas of Australia are a nice extra. I liked that the movie took a lot of time to introduce the characters, and their interaction seemed really natural, nothing too forced. Great movie, recommended.
The 'you call that a knife' moment was really lame though, predictable and just plain unneccesary

Not decided on what I'll watch tonight. I'm considering Dog Soldiers.

Hey guys, totally ordered V/H/S, should arrive in a week or so. At this point I don't know what to expect, between people who really liked it and people who fucking hated it, so I guess I'll see what happens!

The trailer for the sequel looks cracking, though.

I watched Texas Chainsaw 3D last night, all I have to say is that movie is a tragedy. Absolutely horrible. I couldn't stand the corny one liners. Do yourself a favour and save that $16.
I watched it last night....holy fuck its really really bad but my friends and i had a blast watching it. Its so fucking silly with the bad one liners and the girl tripping on everything. I was almost on the floor laughing when she tryed to jump over the little fence and fails.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
aside from that, I enjoyed it. personally I liked it more than Sinister, which I'll go into more detail on, if Mama > Sinister proves to be seen as a crazy opinion.

I agree with this. I like Sinister a lot, but I felt the biggest thing for me would be that Mama had an actual relationship with the kids, whereas it felt like the demon in Sinister hired a bunch of scumbag kids to act like douchebags, throughout the movie, until the plot twist is figured out.

I watched it last night....holy fuck its really really bad but my friends and i had a blast watching it. Its so fucking silly with the bad one liners and the girl tripping on everything. I was almost on the floor laughing when she tryed to jump over the little fence and fails.

I've never seen unintentional satire so on point and with such amazing comic timing.

And again, the completely broken timeline. Such a silly film.

kai3345

Banned
SO I've got a few Horror flicks in my Netflix queue that I've yet to watch, and I want to fire one up tonight, which would you guys recommend?

The Wolfman
Hellraiser
Human Centipede
The House of the Devil
Piranha
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer
I Spit on Your Grave
Class of Nuke 'em High
and then I also snagged a DVD copy of the Jackie Earl Haley Nightmare on Elm Street remake

Melchiah

SO I've got a few Horror flicks in my Netflix queue that I've yet to watch, and I want to fire one up tonight, which would you guys recommend?

The Wolfman
Hellraiser
Human Centipede
The House of the Devil
Piranha
I Spit on Your Grave
Class of Nuke 'em High
and then I also snagged a DVD copy of the Jackie Earl Haley Nightmare on Elm Street remake

Hellraiser & Henry. The 2010 version of The Wolfman is awful, and Human Centipede's sequel is better. The rest are in my opinion quite mediocre flicks, although I haven't seen Class of Nuke 'em High and the Elm Street remake.

The Wolfman
Hellraiser
Human Centipede
The House of the Devil
Piranha
I Spit on Your Grave
Class of Nuke 'em High

Hellraiser = Amazing.
Human Centipede = Pretty good, more fun to talk about and listen to people talk about than the actual movie though
The House of the Devil = Popular here, but I have no idea why. I hate it.
Piranha = Which one? Remake is better than the original but both are worth watching.
I Spit on Your Grave = Which one? Both are interesting in their own way. Worth watching.
Class of Nuke 'em High = I don't know if I'd call this a horror movie, but it's dumb fun.
Nightmare on Elm Street remake = Set it on fire.

I'd say go with Hellraiser or Piranha if that's the remake. Haven't seen the rest.

kai3345

Banned
Hellraiser & Henry. The 2010 version of The Wolfman is awful, and Human Centipede's sequel is better. The rest are in my opinion quite mediocre flicks, although I haven't seen Class of Nuke 'em High and the Elm Street remake.

It's the original Wolfman btw

edit: also its Original Spit On Your Grave & I think Piranha is the remake

Kuroyume

Banned
Best thing about Noroi was the low production feel and Japan as a setting. Had a very creepy feel to it early on. The ending was so stupid though.... Children are not scary. When will people ever learn?

Finished watching V/H/S just now, and I thought it was pretty lousy.

I don't mind the format of having little short concepts for a film, but most of the executions were just kind of lame. About half of the ideas were alright, but I just thought they were lackluster in too many ways, generally. The last one was probably my favorite of the bunch.

Hey guys, totally ordered V/H/S, should arrive in a week or so. At this point I don't know what to expect, between people who really liked it and people who fucking hated it, so I guess I'll see what happens!

The trailer for the sequel looks cracking, though.
Gaddamit GreenScar... Typo has the right idea. Get baked or drunk prior and you might tolerate it I suppose. :l

Saw Mama tonight. I enjoyed it. Not especially scary or anything, but a good and dark fairy tale, which is the sort of thing you hope for whenever Del Toro puts his name to something. The ghost thing was cool and the acting was good (like, everything was played pretty believable, almost like you might expect from a drama about adopting kids raised by wolves or something). The only thing I didn't much like falls under spoiler territory:

The Uncle near the end decides to check himself out of the hospital and drive off to investigate the creepy woods without telling anyone because... I'm not sure actually. This goes nowhere. He wanders around the woods for a bit and randomly meets up with Jessica Chastain later. The whole thing served no purpose at all. He could have just left the hospital to go home and have found Chastain unconscious at home and driven out to the woods with her.

I was going to see it, but I had a hell of a busy weekend. I thought Sinister was decent besides the ending leaving me feeling empty. So I'll take your word for it, hopefully this next weekend I am nowhere near as busy

Melchiah

It's the original Wolfman btw

edit: also its Original Spit On Your Grave & I think Piranha is the remake

Ah, that I recommend to see. I've never been a fan of the other two though, eventhough they, or at least the former, have some sort of a cult status.

It's neither good or bad. There's enough there to be worth seeing, but none of it is really good enough to make me want to watch them again. It gets kind of long in the tooth, but stick it out.

Seconding this, though it would be worth watching HC1 for a deeper appreciation of HC2, I think.

ANoES remake is trash and does nothing interesting with a great property while tarnishing the fine original - it is no F13 remake, for sure. The rest of the series is absolutely worth checking out, though I don't think any are on Netflix.

Edit: oh, also, the original I Spit On Your Grave is worth seeing and the remake of Piranha was fun even though I'm no fan of Aja.

Taste. You have it.

FloatOn

Lake Mungo.

Pleasantly surprised by this. It's a really slow burn, shot in documentary style. Just when you think something predictable is going to happen it shifts gears. Very intriguing throughout and it'll make you think about it for a good while after you finish it. Not really scary just unsettling.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Wolf Creek gets a really bad rap amongst the general public for reasons I can't quite figure out, but I think it's a terrific little film. It is basically a beautifully shot and well-acted serial killer movie from the point of view of the victims rather than the perpetrator or investigator. I wonder if that shifted POV is what tends to bother people, as I thought it was rather sympathetic and, while unflinchingly cruel, not particularly exploitative in its depiction of violence against said victims.

Well put, I agree. I really liked the shifting POV style as well. The mixed to negative reception is weird yeah, don't get it. Apparently a sequel is in the works, looking forward to that.

Into

Sinister

I really loved the film, tough the ending...lacked the punch that i thought it was going to have. It has good atmosphere and i love how normal the characters feel, no annoying characters you hope are going to die.

This team really did a great job with Insidious, which is also a good horror movie. I cannot wait to see what they do next

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Just finished Lake Mungo. Wow. Great movie. It reminded me very much so of The Last Broadcast especially in terms of pace. The difference between the two is that Lake Mungo
xxxxxxxxxx follows through to the end.
Definite recommend.

Just watched Storage 24 and personally, I really enjoyed it. I can definitely see how a viewer that doesn't empathize with Noel Clarke in the first part of the film would hate it though. Since I like Noel (I mean, himself, not just his work, I don't actually like everything he's done, but I did like Kidulthood, his Doctor Who work and now this) I felt sorry for him early on, but I can see how he might completely lose people, and when the horror starts ramping up, if you hated him early on, you aren't going to have anyone to root for other than perhaps the blonde with the big lips (as opposed to the blonde with the chipmunk cheeks).

The creature work was okay, nothing special, but aside from it's feet and mouth, quite well done. It moves really nicely between the storage containers near the ceiling.

Oh, if you don't know, it's about a monster in a 24 hour storage facility that people get trapped in. There's some pretty subtle humour, that worked for me, even though it's far from being a horror comedy. So, yeah, consider it. If you're interested in a solid by the numbers monster movie against the backdrop of people getting over a break up, it's worth your time. I'd seen mixed reviews, and I do understand them, but as I said earlier, personally I really liked it.

Watched this last night. Such an awesome movie.

Doug Bradley is fantastic as Pinhead.

TIlANuK.png

Inferno is the one with the serial killer and cop right? Very Jacobs Ladder as I remember. That and Hellseeker (with Ashley Laurence coming back) were both surprisingly good DTV sequels. The others, not so much, but yeah, I remember liking those two more than 3 and 4.

strafer

Inferno is the one with the serial killer and cop right? Very Jacobs Ladder as I remember. That and Hellseeker (with Ashley Laurence coming back) were both surprisingly good DTV sequels. The others, not so much, but yeah, I remember liking those two more than 3 and 4.

Yep.

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D

I thought this looked like a fun action horror piece, and it was. First of all I'd recommend the 3D version, unless you're allergic to 3D. Much better use of the format than Texas Chainsaw. As I understand some of it was post converted and some of it was native, but however each shot was achieved, the end result was consistently solid. Not the best 3D horror film I've seen but worth the extra dollars to see it that way in my opinion.

So, the film then. It's sort of mislabeling this to call it a dark fairy tale piece, because the original is substantially dark in the first place. Calling something a Dark fairy tale is in my opinion pretty redundant, because proper fairy tales are wonderfully violent. It's got its fair share of blood and itty bitty fleshy pieces, enough to comfortably earn its R, but it's not pushing any envelopes. Mostly practical gore... no real frights or shocks or twists or turns, but a pretty straight forwards witch killing piece that generally hits its marks.

The bit in the trailer that suggested they weren't dealing with witches this time... not sure where the heck that came from, because it wasn't in the final film, and they don't really deal with anything other than witches.

Reviewers on films like this need to eat shit. If you didn't want to go see a film called Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters, then no one who wants to go see a film called Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters gives two fucks about your opinion.

I'm sure we all know that good horror movies regularly get shit on by reviewers, and this is another case. At least audiences give it a B, I'd probably go a shade higher. It's not great, but it's an R rated horror film that just deservedly won the box office this weekend.

It delivers on what it promises to.

People criticizing it for not being a good spoof are stupid. It never promises to be a spoof. It's a violent sequel to a violent fairy tale. It tries to set up a sequel, and given the witch hunting team assembled by the end of this one, I do hope it does enough numbers that they can get the principles back for another go around.

Recommended, if not highly recommended.

finally got to see it and I definitely agree with the spoiled part. I think Sinister had more shocking moments, but as a whole I enjoyed Mama more, maybe just cause I didn't the ending.

Not that special, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Worth a watch indeed.

Watched Wolf Creek last night. Didn't expect much, but I was really surprised. Unsettling film with some disturbing moments. The impressive vistas of Australia are a nice extra. I liked that the movie took a lot of time to introduce the characters, and their interaction seemed really natural, nothing too forced. Great movie, recommended.
The 'you call that a knife' moment was really lame though, predictable and just plain unneccesary

Not decided on what I'll watch tonight. I'm considering Dog Soldiers.

I cringed hard watching wolf creek. That
spinal assault sequence
was sickening. I also liked how it ended.

yeah, its a good one. I think I have the bluray - but I don't have the balls to rewatch. It was kinda grueling.

Just watched The Pact (2012) on Netflix streaming. Not a bad little horror movie. It uses atmosphere and mood for a lot of it's scares. The majority of the movie takes place in one house. A couple scenes gave me some real chills too. There is limited music, and much of the movie has a silent creepiness to it. Kind of felt like David Lynch at times. Overall I would say this is one of the better horror movies I have seen lately.

Also saw The Devil's Rock (2011). I dunno, it started out alright but by the end I just felt bored. Felt pretty meh to me. And the blood effects were really bad for some reason. It all looked really orange.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
The Loved Ones was pretty good, some pretty sick stuff. But it's nothing compared to...

A Serbian Film.
Probably the most disturbing film I've seen besides Martyrs. I knew it was going to be rough, but nothing really prepares you for stuff like this.
Newborn porn :/
And let's not forget
eye socket fucking and son sodomy
. Sick.

feels+_08cbef2b4f7372bb51637d89ee558f63.jpg

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I like horror movies, but I love written horror! Anyone have any more unusual recommendations? I have read most of the big name items and a lot of unique stuff. Looking for unusual things that you might not come across in a typical browse.

Top Bottom