• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Shots 4: How is online play? Worth buying?

john tv

Can anyone give me the lowdown on HSG4? I had the JP version but it's offline-only, so I'm considering the US one. Anyone got any impressions?

Axsider

Banned
john tv said:
Can anyone give me the lowdown on HSG4? I had the JP version but it's offline-only, so I'm considering the US one. Anyone got any impressions?
It is awesome! Is this enough?

Teddman

I liked it online, but haven't played for awhile. Back in the first couple weeks it was out, there were over a hundred or so people playing at peak times. Has that changed?

The tournament mode is pretty fun, the only new wrinkle is that you have to be able to play relatively fast, with a 90 or 60 second limit on each hole. I never did play a player match, where you wait & watch for everyone to take turns, kind of like really playing somebody on the same PS2. That mode is limited to 4 people.

No voice headset support kind of detracted from the online experience a bit.

john tv

What about keyboard chat? Does HSG4 support that?

Hot Shots Online was pretty fun, but it required the hard drive and was a little expensive ($5/month), so I stopped playing after about two months or so. It had keyboard chat (of course, it was set up like an MMORPG), but no voice chat.

Teddman

Yes, it supports keyboard chat. Has lobbies too before the games.

I had one friend across the country that I wanted to play online with, and we were going to just call each other on cell phones using free weekend minutes to make up for the lack of voice chat. But he never got his damn PS2 online.

Then I repeatedly tried to play GA and OA posters in tournaments, but nobody ever showed up.

Those were the two reasons I pretty much stopped playing online. That and I got Xbox Live, Burnout 3, and Star Wars Battlefront in the last month. Especially Battlefront. The funny thing is that Hot Shots Fore was the game that initially got me motivated to setup a home wireless gaming connection.

Top Bottom