• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Shots Tennis: Get A Grip! |OT| of New balls! Please!

Torgo

lawblob said:
Was somebody paid to write that? Yikes.

Not at all, I have about 8 hours into it now, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. The story mode reminds me of the story mode in World Court Tennis on the TurboGrafx.

I posted the review initially from work, and I obviously missed a couple of formatting items, which have been fixed.

Barrett2

Torgo said:
Not at all, I have about 8 hours into it now, and I'm enjoying the hell out of it. The story mode reminds me of the story mode in World Court Tennis on the TurboGrafx.

I posted the review initially from work, and I obviously missed a couple of formatting items, which have been fixed.

Ok, in that case, you got no complaints from me. I was under the impression it was a formal review from a paid reviewer, in which case I thought it needed editing, etc.

So how is the difficulty curve in the story mode? Does the difficulty 'progression' feel natural as you advance, or do your opponents get better mostly through annoying gimmicks?

Stupid question time: can I play this game on my PS3 if I download it over the PSN? I think Mini support was added, but I don't recall if I can play these PSP downloads on the PS3.

Massa

Torgo said:

For what it's worth I thought it was a good review.

BigNastyCurve said:
Stupid question time: can I play this game on my PS3 if I download it over the PSN? I think Mini support was added, but I don't recall if I can play these PSP downloads on the PS3.

Nope, PSP-only as are all PSP games. Only (most) minis and PS1 games are PSP/PS3 compatible.

Takao

Banned
I'm on the level with the
samurai and ninjas
. Difficulty has increased a bit, but everything is still do-able.

Trying my hand at the other characters now is a bit annoying, as I maxed out Loyalty with Hugo.

depward said:
Hot Shots Golf: Out Of Bounds for PS3. .... I wonder how active online is these days...

I'm online playing this daily pretty much (right now in fact :p). There are usually 50-150 people playing from noon til about 2 AM US Eastern time. Always enough people to play with.

Most of the regulars are g0 and g1 rank so finding 10 people for a ranked tourney is easy. g2 and g3 have a hard time filling out their ranked tournies. I usually just play unranked game rooms with friends, though.

Lkr

I was at Best Buy for 2 hours while the guy searched the warehouse. It said they had 4 copies in stock but he couldn't find any. I just tried a site-to-store on another best buy, hopefully they have it and I can run out to get it tonight. A few Best Buy things made me laugh though, for example they offer Wii customization(wtf!?!)

Takao

Banned
Lkr said:
I was at Best Buy for 2 hours while the guy searched the warehouse. It said they had 4 copies in stock but he couldn't find any. I just tried a site-to-store on another best buy, hopefully they have it and I can run out to get it tonight. A few Best Buy things made me laugh though, for example they offer Wii customization(wtf!?!)

Best Buy is awesome for things like that. I remember last year seeing a copy of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen for PSP with a Geek Squad sticker saying to ask staff on how to install the game. The thing is, the game doesn't have an install mode, and you'd have to not have logic to not know how to put a UMD in the drive and start the game up. :lol

Lkr

Takao said:
Best Buy is awesome for things like that. I remember last year seeing a copy of Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen for PSP with a Geek Squad sticker saying to ask staff on how to install the game. The thing is, the game doesn't have an install mode, and you'd have to not have logic to not know how to put a UMD in the drive and start the game up. :lol
One of my favorites is how they have the setup showing the "difference" between 480p, 720p, and 1080p, but all the TVs are in 480i mode! They all are the exact same, at least at this one. They also have a calibration demo, where one TV is calibrated and the other isn't. They don't point out which one is which, and I can just imagine some dumbass thinking the shitty looking one looks "good"

Got my confirmation e-mail that my order is ready at sitetostore

Lkr

newsguy said:
This game isn't anywhere in my city! I'm playing Peacewalker right now anyway, but I love and need some Hot Shots.
Are you stuck on CFW? If not, get it on PSN.

newsguy

Lkr said:
Are you stuck on CFW? If not, get it on PSN.

Not sure what CFW means, but I only have a 1 gig stick so I can't DL it. It's like the shipment never came down here, no store got it.

EDIT: I think you mean custom firmware. No, I don't have any mods.

Lkr

newsguy said:
Not sure what CFW means, but I only have a 1 gig stick so I can't DL it. It's like the shipment never came down here, no store got it.

EDIT: I think you mean custom firmware. No, I don't have any mods.
buy a memory stick and then get it on PSN. much better than waiting to see if retailers ever get it

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
mauaus said:
im loving this game!! But im finding the equipment stuff confusing...
Equipment just gives you small stat boosts, and different combinations of equipment will change up which stats get the boost.

The boost won't seem too noticeable at first, but I believe leveling up loyalty high enough will increase the effectiveness of the equipment boosts for that particular player.

If you don't really care about the boosts, then just use equipment as costume changes and combine whatever looks good to you.

mauaus

XiaNaphryz said:
Equipment just gives you small stat boosts, and different combinations of equipment will change up which stats get the boost.

The boost won't seem too noticeable at first, but I believe leveling up loyalty high enough will increase the effectiveness of the equipment boosts for that particular player.

If you don't really care about the boosts, then just use equipment as costume changes and combine whatever looks good to you.
trial and error basically?

Lkr

game is a lot of fun so far, I've played two matches. The UMD won't let me install data, I think its because I'm on 5.50 and not 6.20 though. I will try and store the entire game on my memory stick instead I guess(something I had planned on doing) to reduce load times and make it more convenient

Definitely a HUGE improvement over the PS2 one. The PS2 version feels like a overgrown tech-demo. The game wasn't bad but there was so many things missing. And it was very shallow with no depth or unlockables at all.

I'm glad Clap Hanz decided to give this another chance with Get a Grip. This game is pretty good and I think it could be another good series in the Hot Shots franchise.

And for $19.99 too. It's like Clap Hanz is telling us that they're sorry for the horrible mess the PS2 version was!

All is forgiven!

Heh, story mode is essentially Prince of Tennis, especially when you get the first uniform and pop it on Hugo and give him the Adidas hat. Loving this game so far! I'm at the studio rocking Epic Victories on my opponents. :D

Lkr

I wish you could charge your shot like on most other Tennis games. I'm used to being able to hold down a button instead of hitting X at the precise moment

vocab

donkey show said:
Heh, story mode is essentially Prince of Tennis

Don't say that. PoT is low tier when it comes to sports anime/manga. I'm gonna download the demo. I've been dying for a good tennis game like Mario Tennis GBC.

Lkr

I don't know if I'm a fan of story mode yet, unless you get to play at Wimbledon at the end. Otherwise, I'd rather just be able to select my challenges like in golf

vocab said:
Don't say that. PoT is low tier when it comes to sports anime/manga. I'm gonna download the demo. I've been dying for a good tennis game like Mario Tennis GBC.
LOL, no doubt, but I never said it wasn't enjoyable. Aside from the female players, the boss characters easily shadow someone from PoT. Mario Tennis GBA and PoT: Crystal Drive are easily my most fave tennis games and this one is definitely getting up there.

Barrett2

I like the little open world touches, finding stuff in lockers, etc. Just had my first doubles match, it was hectic!

Lkr

lawblob said:
I like the little open world touches, finding stuff in lockers, etc. Just had my first doubles match, it was hectic!
hardest match yet, only because doubles sucks :p

Takao

Banned
Lkr said:
How far are you?!:lol

Maybe just about two thirds of the way done. From the way the story seems to falling into place
it seems the Helghast may be hosting a giant tennis tournament!?!
Oh Claphanz.

Lkr

Takao said:
Maybe just about two thirds of the way done. From the way the story seems to falling into place
it seems the Helghast may be hosting a giant tennis tournament!?!
Oh Claphanz.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

The dialogue is pretty shitty as is the story concept.
I have never met anyone who obsesses so much over TENNIS! These kids problems and lives revolve around TENNIS. Nothing else. Want to date this girl? BEAT ME IN A TENNIS MATCH!!!!

Takao

Banned
If you take the story on face value, it's some terribly contrived extreme kiddy friendly fare. But I feel it's meant to be a farce on children's anime series, like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! or Beyblade, where some evil organization uses something so harmless to try to take over the world. Where every main character exhibits the power of courage and friendship, and makes sure you know it's important. Not to mention how every character in those series solves their arguments by playing those games. That works really well with the Hot Shots designs. Now, if it isn't a farce, I never want to see a full blown RPG from Claphanz because I can only imagine the story. :lol

Lkr

Takao said:
If you take the story on face value, it's some terribly contrived extreme kiddy friendly fare. But I feel it's meant to be a farce on children's anime series, like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! or Beyblade, where some evil organization uses something so harmless to try to take over the world. Where every main character exhibits the power of courage and friendship, and makes sure you know it's important. Not to mention how every character in those series solves their arguments by playing those games. That works really well with the Hot Shots designs. Now, if it isn't a farce, I never want to see a full blown RPG from Claphanz because I can only imagine the story. :lol
If you don't win this golf tournament, he'll rule the world!!!
Has it got any harder yet?

depward

Happy to report that brutal difficulty settings for the CPU are fairly hard; my brother and I played some doubles against some brutal opponents and it was a great time.

Steroyd

Claphanz make this type of SP standard for all your games plz.

Fun so far, dominated every game so far, bar the first doubles game plus I kept dropping points when my impact rank went down, so I can only imagine it'll be harder to use characters + Difficulty ramping up later in the game.

Played this game till my PSP could play no mores. :D

Torgo

lawblob said:
Ok, in that case, you got no complaints from me. I was under the impression it was a formal review from a paid reviewer, in which case I thought it needed editing, etc.

So how is the difficulty curve in the story mode? Does the difficulty 'progression' feel natural as you advance, or do your opponents get better mostly through annoying gimmicks?

So far the difficulty curve is quite smooth. I am getting to the point where I have to use certain characters in my stable for certain opponents. I'll probably play a bunch of it this weekend when I'm away for the 4th as well.

jiien

vocab said:
How comparable is this to Mario Tennis for GBC?

This is what I want to know as well. I freaking LOVED that game, and have been waiting patiently for something like it.

XiaNaphryz

joelseph said:
Doubles piss me off!
Would be a lot more fun if they let you switch between characters in single player. It's not like the shoulder buttons do anything.

Does anyone know if playing with the visual aids disabled gets you any bonus points?

Takao

Banned
Doubles are piss easy, I don't know what's wrong with you guys. Mind you, I always play as a character I have little loyalty with paired with a character who I have a lot of loyalty with as the CPU.

DiscoJer

On the 4th world in the Story mode, the mansion, there is a maid named "Mina" who says when you talk to her the first time "I don't talk much...it all started 152 years ago when...oh wait, I guess I do talk a lot".

At first I thought it was a Dracula reference (there was a Mina in that). And indeed, later in the the story she can sense where the dog is (which would be one of the vampire's powers, I think).

But Dracula came out 113 years ago. So I guess I was wrong. Unless this is set 40 years or so in the future?

Or it's something else entirely. Or they were just making something up.

Lkr

ok so does a bunny mean you hit it too early and the turtle means you hit it too late? and how the hell do i hit it on time? :(

XiaNaphryz

Takao said:
Doubles are piss easy, I don't know what's wrong with you guys. Mind you, I always play as a character I have little loyalty with paired with a character who I have a lot of loyalty with as the CPU.
That's probably the main reason we're having issues. I usually choose low loyalty guys as my teammate because I want to get their loyalty up a bit while I have the main char I'm using getting most of the loyalty raise - which isn't really that much if you aren't getting an epic victory anyway. :lol

Lkr said:
ok so does a bunny mean you hit it too early and the turtle means you hit it too late? and how the hell do i hit it on time? :(
Sometimes you want to hit it early or late since it affects trajectory (early means you'll pull the ball and late means you'll push it). Hitting it on time will let you return it more centered. You can further modify the effect by pushing left or right.

Hitting it on time just means you're hitting the ball right when the ball crosses the ideal impact position, though since there's a bit of an animation for your racket to get there you need to press the button slightly early. Note that not all the swing animations are the same as some are faster than others depending on if you're already in position, making a shot while on the move, etc.

Lkr

All I'm wondering though is WHEN is the perfect time to hit it? It isn't obvious like in a golf game lol

What character are you all using? I'm still using Hugo

My copy arrived this morning and I've put a couple of hours into it. So far I'm really enjoying it. Takes a bit of getting used to as it plays differently to Everybody's Golf (obviously) and the only other tennis game I'm used to, the Virtua Tennis series, but I'm getting there.

On to the second location and just had my first doubles match. I really like the story mode and being able to wander about and challenge people to matches. Hopefully the next Everybody's Golf PSP includes this.

XiaNaphryz

Lkr said:
All I'm wondering though is WHEN is the perfect time to hit it?
I told you, when the ball is about to cross the ideal hitting position which is directly to the left or right of your player. Just remember to take into account the time it takes the racket to animate to the proper spot and hit the ball.

Code:
Assuming right handed player, facing right, standing still, and about to hit a forehand on a ball going slightly left to right...
 _
([U]#[/U])_o     <--- ...press button here, hit will be early and pulled to the left
 |(_)o     <--- ...press button here, hit will be on-time and go relatively straight
  \|_ o     <--- ...press button here, hit will be late and pushed to the right
   |
   [U]^[/U]
  / \

Top Bottom