• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hot Shots Tennis: Get A Grip! |OT| of New balls! Please!

Barrett2

Torgo said:
So far the difficulty curve is quite smooth. I am getting to the point where I have to use certain characters in my stable for certain opponents. I'll probably play a bunch of it this weekend when I'm away for the 4th as well.

That's good to hear.

I'm just about finished with the third location (TV studio) and the CPU is definitely stepping up their game.

Troy's voice is cracking me up.

Lkr

lawblob said:
That's good to hear.

I'm just about finished with the third location (TV studio) and the CPU is definitely stepping up their game.

Troy's voice is cracking me up.
Its still pretty easy to me. I haven't lose a game that was non-Doubles yet

Lkr said:
All I'm wondering though is WHEN is the perfect time to hit it? It isn't obvious like in a golf game lol

What character are you all using? I'm still using Hugo
Using Colin. He's pretty well balanced out the gate. Although Toshi is becoming a big fave since I favor net play.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
donkey show said:
Using Colin. He's pretty well balanced out the gate. Although Toshi is becoming a big fave since I favor net play.
Still sticking with Emily. I had maxed out the demo chars, so I have her loyalty up to level 6 now and have the double accessory option for her for double boost possibilities. Still in the 2nd story area.

I prefer to max out a player before moving on to another one.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just got home to find my copy from Amazon had arrived.
I ripped it, copied it over to my memory stick, and am happy to report that the clean ISO seems to work just fine on CFW 5.50 Prometheus v4.

Barrett2

Lkr said:
Its still pretty easy to me. I haven't lose a game that was non-Doubles yet

Same, im' at the 4th location now
European Estate
and it still isn't very hard, although, I did play the Hell outta the demo, so I guess that might be contributing.

Still, for a sports game that I find to be very easy, there is still a lot of fun to be had with the costumes, trying to get an Epic Victory, etc.

joelseph

lawblob said:
Still, for a sports game that I find to be very easy, there is still a lot of fun to be had with the costumes, trying to get an Epic Victory, etc.

Feeling everything start to fall apart but being able to hold it together and pull out the win is pretty satisfying in doubles. Hope the singles gets to that level soon.

Fucking hell
Lani
... at least you're on my team now. :lol

And I started feeling the challenge against Tier V opponents. Getting Epic Victories on them now requires work to be done. =P

Steroyd

donkey show said:
And I started feeling the challenge against Tier V opponents. Getting Epic Victories on them now requires work to be done. =P

Yeah it's very rare for me to get 100p dominations, tried an Exhibition match on the hardest difficulty and holy moley if the Story mode gets that hard.

Chairhome

Mejilan said:
Just got home to find my copy from Amazon had arrived.
I ripped it, copied it over to my memory stick, and am happy to report that the clean ISO seems to work just fine on CFW 5.50 Prometheus v4.
Thanks! I may be sold on this now....

XiaNaphryz

donkey show said:
Fucking hell
Lani
... at least you're on my team now. :lol

Yeah, people shouldn't worry too much about the difficulty ramping up. Remember, there's like over 10 people to unlock, so there's at least that many stages to go through.

I'm in the fifth area right now and I have to stay focused to try and pull off epic victories.

Steroyd

Bloody hell.

First 1st to 6 games match in the story and it's against a left handed baseline player who can spin the ball and easily tire you out, might as well re-name that character Rafael Nadal. :lol

Found some deep tennis in that match, after I ran out of stamina without realising I had to play quick rallies to build my stamina up, it got really intense. :D

XiaNaphryz

Steroyd said:
Bloody hell.

First 1st to 6 games match in the story and it's against a left handed baseline player who can spin the ball and easily tire you out, might as well re-name that character Rafael Nadal. :lol
Was that the island girl?

I'm on a ten hour drive through Michigan and this game has kept my sanity. Love love love it and this really the first Hot Shots game I've gotten into- I really need to get into the Golf series.

Barrett2

Square Triangle said:
I'm on a ten hour drive through Michigan and this game has kept my sanity. Love love love it and this really the first Hot Shots game I've gotten into- I really need to get into the Golf series.

Same here. This is the first Hot Shots game I've played, it definitely makes me want to check out the golf games. Are there 2 on the PSP?

dream

lawblob said:
Same here. This is the first Hot Shots game I've played, it definitely makes me want to check out the golf games. Are there 2 on the PSP?

Yeah, Open Tee and Open Tee 2.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I put about an hour into it last night.
I'm ready to challenge Troy in the first area, so I'm clearly not far.
I've primarily been working at grinding out some loyalty levels for the two starters and first getting epic victories for all competitors... but then when that proved trivial, 100'ing them.

There are only two things wrong with the game so far.
The stupid characters/dialog only get in the way.
The music is terrible.

In all other respects, the game's pretty incredible so far.
It's stupidly easy to start, but I imagine that'll quickly rectify itself, and honestly am not too disappointed by it, since I haven't played a Tennis video game since the GCN/GBA Camelot days.
Throw in a better script with better characters/world, and a Motoi Sakuraba soundtrack, and the game would basically hit the perfection of Camelot's portable Mario Tennis RPGs.
Lacking those, the game is still pretty incredible, and certainly scratches an itch that's been neglected for almost a decade.

Highly recommended... especially for $20.
Fair warning: Had Adidas not so heavily and annoyingly endorsed the game, it probably would have cost us $30! :)

Steroyd

Any tips on a successful flat serve, I understand it's supposed to be erratic but the cpu is starting to hammer me to hell with it more frequently. :/

XiaNaphryz

lawblob said:
Keep in mind the golf games don't really have a single player story mode, it's just a bunch of stages to play through and unlock stuff.

DiscoJer

I love the music myself, it's like something out of an old school RPG. Especially the track for the first court. Makes me wish they would make an RPG (a real one) to go with the music.

The music for the Japanese castle level sounds like Mission Impossible to me though.

Barrett2

XiaNaphryz said:
Keep in mind the golf games don't really have a single player story mode, it's just a bunch of stages to play through and unlock stuff.

After the first five areas, I think I'm ready for the story elements to just stop, honestly. :lol

Takao

Banned
Just search the courtyard and mansion and you'll eventually find the ugly dog.

Helghast in this game disapointed me.

Takao

Banned
Unlocked all the characters apparently. Apparently the Helghast soldier replaces some J-Pop singer in the Japanese release.

DiscoJer

XiaNaphryz said:
Nope, this is the first Hot Shots game to have such a mode.

On the other hand, Pangya Fantasy Golf has a story mode. You don't walk around or anything like that, but there's a little storyline for each playable character.

XiaNaphryz

So what are these guts camera things you unlock as loyalty goes up? Is it just alternate camera angles? I'm not seeing anything different swapping the in-game camera, unless these are only for replays.

dvdjamm

Alex Anderson said:
I'm online playing this daily pretty much (right now in fact :p). There are usually 50-150 people playing from noon til about 2 AM US Eastern time. Always enough people to play with.

Most of the regulars are g0 and g1 rank so finding 10 people for a ranked tourney is easy. g2 and g3 have a hard time filling out their ranked tournies. I usually just play unranked game rooms with friends, though.

Yeah,I play this all the time,even though i'm G2 (which means i'm not very good,hehe) I'm really hoping HSG 6 comes out this year and that there's a lot of added features including mini golf...

XiaNaphryz

dvdjamm said:
Yeah,I play this all the time,even though i'm G2 (which means i'm not very good,hehe) I'm really hoping HSG 6 comes out this year and that there's a lot of added features including mini golf...
I'm assuming they're developing the next one to have Move support.

mauaus

lawblob said:
Does Adhoc party have input delay? Seems like this game would be very sensitive to that.
I played one game and it seemed fine

EDIT:

Just played against
Zeta
, it was tough, i couldnt break her serve beat her on tie breaker 7-5 :lol

eznark

Banned
Emotions said:
does Open Tee and Open Tee 2 have rpg'ish modes like the Tennis ones?

No, and after playing three stages of the story mode...man I miss the menu driven, no fluff quick and easy progression in Open Tee 2. The tennis part of this game is awesome, but I do not give a shit about Bridgit or Kobe or spreading the love of tennis around the world. It just makes actually playing the tennis a hassle.

mauaus said:
I played one game and it seemed fine

EDIT:

Just played against
Zeta
, it was tough, i couldnt break her serve beat her on tie breaker 7-5 :lol
Have fun with
Nushaman, the extra character in Laguna Island.
=p

newsguy

Mine finally got here. I can tell it's still Hot Shots at it's core. It's so easy right now, but I know the point will come where I hit a wall. I hate RPG's but I enjoy this format. It's like Mario Golf on the Gameboy, probably my favorite golf game.

Takao

Banned
I got excited when I unlocked that Goku costume, I got disapointed when I put it on my character. Not the Goku I was expecting :(

Massa

Now that I've beaten the game I took a look at the unlockables on Gamespot and IGN and... are they based on the Japanese version or something? The names are totally strange to me.

XiaNaphryz

Massa said:
Now that I've beaten the game I took a look at the unlockables on Gamespot and IGN and... are they based on the Japanese version or something? The names are totally strange to me.
Yep.

Emi = Emily
Wendy = Bridget
Rosetta = Amorette
Tiger = Troy
Brad = Colin
Norma = Zeta
Helghast replaced Yukkan
The names for Suzuki and Gloria are unchanged.

Some of what's described also seems inaccurate. For example, unlocking Suzuki is rather straight-forward - he tells you what you need to do in the corporate level. No need to finish the level first and come back after.

Massa

XiaNaphryz said:
Yep.

Emi = Emily
Wendy = Bridget
Rosetta = Amorette
Tiger = Troy
Brad = Colin
Norma = Zeta
Helghast replaced Yukkan
The names for Suzuki and Gloria are unchanged.

Some of what's described also seems inaccurate. For example, unlocking Suzuki is rather straight-forward - he tells you what you need to do in the corporate level. No need to finish the level first and come back after.

Thanks! Turns out Suzuki was the only one left to beat.

depward

Finally played through the entire SP side of things and this has been a surprise hit for me in 2010. Really enjoyed it! They nailed the gameplay.

My brother and I have a fairly easy time beating brutal difficulty doubles but they ALWAYS seem to just steal one game out of our set of six games. We keep on trying to blank them but we can't :lol

Top Bottom