• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

for every huge string of black spoiler bar i see

i just think

"these straight edge nerds need some LCD and a good time boner." really, if you clockwork orange with a scarface vibe for a top notch nes game doesn't send your dick into fire-y squirts then you might as well quit.

just quit it all.

'cause this game is ... it just is

Word.

ArynCrinn

Banned

i just think

"these straight edge nerds need some LCD and a good time boner." really, if you clockwork orange with a scarface vibe for a top notch nes game doesn't send your dick into fire-y squirts then you might as well quit.

just quit it all.

LCD?

Maybe some Peyote or on the come down of some Ayahuasca would be crazy with this game. :p

I would say if many are playing it wrong the game is presenting how to play it properly, incorrectly...

I'll elaborate more once I play more of it, but as is the game has been very poor at conveying how to properly play it, and at first impression seems like it wants to be played more like a 2D incarnation of Manhunt rather than a fast-paced action game.

This isn't even getting into the problems with the game's tendency to rely on trial and error rather than genuine difficulty, which I would say influenced people to think they were "playing it wrong" when they were trying to action it out, and thus reverted to a more methodical pace once that seemed to be a more effective course of action.

Perhaps...

The tips outright say you're rewarded for playing recklessly. You're graded at the end of a level. A poor grade clearly tells you are playing terribly. I would think that this enough to tell you to change your approach. The guy in the IGN commentary video picked up on this, saying its all about speed and combos. Completing a chapter without hesitation is an amazing mind trip.

i just think

just quit it all.

I'd say the game probably looks way cooler on a CRT but whatever.

vitacola

About the ending:
Could the puzzle be the password of the computer in the last "mission" with biker guy?

EDIT:
Oh, just saw the first post of page 4.
Gotta catch'em all!

ArynCrinn

Banned
If anybody is still looking for the MP3 version of the soundtrack let me know, I've got a link. Don't know if that's against the rules though, but I wouldn't see the issue if you already own the game.

Every minute of my existence is a torment if it doesn't consist of killing Russian criminals in every way possible, thanks to Hotline Miami. Seriously, this game is addictive as fuck. First time in my entire life I want to slice, to smash, to shoot, to crack, to squeeze, and I don't want to stop doing it. Game of the life.

I'm really sad that 16+ levels swept so incendiary fast; and my thirst for killing isn't quenched yet. Puzzle solved, true ending achieved, masks opened. What to do, what to do.

SJRB

Gold Member
Just started watching the Giantbomb quicklook for this, it reminds me of the movie Drive for some reason. The neon, the music, the brutality.

Awesome so far, even though it seems 100% trial and error.

Finished it. Game of the year.

I went back to earlier levels and trying to be stealthy in any way truly was the wrong way to play this. Clearing the level with a single combo feels so awesome.

Nemic77

From the Hotline Miami Steam forums:

we're working on some more stuff for you all! got a storydriven DLC in the plans, some nice updates for the HLM (it's a secret so you just have to wait and see) and map editor is being looked into to see if possible!

we want to give you more and thanks for all the love and nice words about Hotline miami! we couldn't be more grateful ;)

Sounds good to me!

pa22word

Perhaps...

The tips outright say you're rewarded for playing recklessly. You're graded at the end of a level. A poor grade clearly tells you are playing terribly. I would think that this enough to tell you to change your approach. The guy in the IGN commentary video picked up on this, saying its all about speed and combos. Completing a chapter without hesitation is an amazing mind trip.

They shouldn't have to rely on randomly shown tips on the loading screens to present how to play the game. Also, the scoring system is another thing the game doesn't explain very well to the player. Expecting people to pick up how to play the game based on that is very poor design -- especially when the results are largely based on what mask you are wearing at the time, something new players won't have access to on the outset.

Look: I'm not saying the game isn't good, or that I want my hand held through the game, but the way the game is presented to the player in terms of teaching its mechanics leaves a lot to be desired. That's all I'm saying :)

Also, it's very annoying in the first stage with the dogs (which are black) to see a pure black floor when the game's base resolution is so low. Due to the hectic nature of the game it's very easy to simply not even see him approaching because of this. Another thing that really bugs me is the way injured bodies clump together in a pile of dead ones, making it impossible to know whether or not a baddie is dead...until he rises up and OHKOs you, that is.

charsace

I would say if many are playing it wrong the game is presenting how to play it properly, incorrectly...

I'll elaborate more once I play more of it, but as is the game has been very poor at conveying how to properly play it, and at first impression seems like it wants to be played more like a 2D incarnation of Manhunt rather than a fast-paced action game.

This isn't even getting into the problems with the game's tendency to rely on trial and error rather than genuine difficulty, which I would say influenced people to think they were "playing it wrong" when they were trying to action it out, and thus reverted to a more methodical pace once that seemed to be a more effective course of action.

I figured out how to play in the second chapter. I was going so damn slow that I kept on dying. Once I figured out things though I became a killing machine. I beat the first dog level without dying. Just bum rush the room on the left with the 2 guys to get a weapon and kill the 2 of them and the dog when he runs through the door.

This game is the opposite of Dark Souls. Play fast not slow. Its more gratifying to figure things out on your own than the game throwing you into a tutorial that walks you through how it should be played. Every level I've played I've easily beat the high score and can't wait until I unlock the long combos mask.

pa22word

I beat the first dog level without dying.

Your difficulty with the game, particularly once you "figured it out", is irrelevant to what I am talking about.

Its more gratifying to figure things out on your own than the game throwing you into a tutorial that walks you through how it should be played.

*sigh*

Properly presenting mechanics doesn't have to be a slow, plodding tutorial that "walks you through the game". FFS man I even referenced Ninja Gaiden as a proper way to do a game like this in terms of mechanics presentation. Ninja Gaiden teaches you exactly how to play the game and lays down exactly what is expected of you in the very first stage, perfectly. There are a few ways you could have correctly done something similar here, but throwing the players into a situation they are fully capable of misconstruing the proper play method is not one of them.

GorillaJu

Really enjoying this game. Finished 6 or 7 missions so far and having a good time. It's almost like a puzzle game. I've got a few A+ ratings by just rampaging through with a knife as quickly as possible.

charsace

Your difficulty with the game, particularly once you "figured it out", is irrelevant to what I am talking about.

*sigh*

Properly presenting mechanics doesn't have to be a slow, plodding tutorial that "walks you through the game". FFS man I even referenced Ninja Gaiden as a proper way to do a game like this in terms of mechanics presentation. Ninja Gaiden teaches you exactly how to play the game and lays down exactly what is expected of you in the very first stage, perfectly. There are a few ways you could have correctly done something similar here, but throwing the players into a situation they are fully capable of misconstruing the proper play method is not one of them.
I didn't say anything about a slow tutorial. I said they shouldn't throw you into a tutorial at all. The controls for the game are simple. All a tutorial would do in this is tell you at what pace you should play the game. Which wouldn't be good for this game at all. You can play this game slow if you want. They have different masks to match different styles of play.

pa22word

I didn't say anything about a slow tutorial. I said they shouldn't throw you into a tutorial at all. The controls for the game are simple. All a tutorial would do in this is tell you at what pace you should play the game. Which wouldn't be good for this game at all. You can play this game slow if you want. They have different masks to match different styles of play.

Once again you are entirely missing the point.

There doesn't have to be a tutorial. The game I referenced as an example for how to do this correctly, Ninja Gaiden, doesn't have a tutorial--it teaches you the correct usage of the mechanics through playing it. The mechanics are so simple they could have properly presented how to play the game without one, but they didn't. Which is quite unfortunate as the game is quite solid, minus some questionable level design here and there.

SJRB

Gold Member
Screw it, just purchased it and downloading right now. If only for the OST, so awesome.

Fake edit: wow, 170mb for the entire game.

SJRB

Gold Member
Good lord this is awesome. It is so satisfying to take down someone before he takes you down, wow. And the spacebar finishing moves are crazy, holy shit.

What is the deal with the lack of options and save menus though? Does the game save automatically meaning I can quit at any time?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Good lord this is awesome. It is so satisfying to take down someone before he takes you down, wow. And the spacebar finishing moves are crazy, holy shit.

What is the deal with the lack of options and save menus though? Does the game save automatically meaning I can quit at any time?
No in-mission saves, if you quit you'll just go to chapter select and start at the last you played next time (or the one after that due to a bug enabling the chapter after the one you were in, try to avoid temptation).

I needs a Mac version!!!

I'm pretty sure I've seen mac developer while watching credits in the end. You should google whether the the regular version works with Mac or not.

I'm definitely buying this, but not until the controller issues are sorted.

You gonna have difficult times playing the game with controller. Especially trying to beat levels with the highest score possible.

ScOULaris

Is there a list somewhere of which puzzle letters are in each level? I have everything except for the "O" and the "T." I know this because it's obvious what the puzzle is trying to spell at this point.

Does anyone know where the O and the T are? I don't want to go through every single level again to find them. Or better yet, is there any indication somewhere of which levels you've already found the puzzle piece in?

sixghost

Is there a list somewhere of which puzzle letters are in each level? I have everything except for the "O" and the "T." I know this because it's obvious what the puzzle is trying to spell at this point.

Does anyone know where the O and the T are? I don't want to go through every single level again to find them. Or better yet, is there any indication somewhere of which levels you've already found the puzzle piece in?

Go into the chapters menu, and you can check which levels you've found the puzzle piece. It's right next to the spot that lets you know if you've found the mask. It's a little dot, it'll be filled in if you found it.

When you'll have every letter gathered they're going to blink if placed in the right spot.

chiablo

The only thing that would make this game better is if it weren't pixel art. Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of 8-bit graphics. Although Hotline Miami is super stylized, pixels are just lazy.

Love the game though, super satisfying to run into a crowded room with nothing but a knife and cover the room with blood.

SJRB

Gold Member
No in-mission saves, if you quit you'll just go to chapter select and start at the last you played next time (or the one after that due to a bug enabling the chapter after the one you were in, try to avoid temptation).

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm always kind of weary when it comes to trusting auto-saves and whatnot.

The only thing that would make this game better is if it weren't pixel art. Honestly, I'm getting a little tired of 8-bit graphics. Although Hotline Miami is super stylized, pixels are just lazy.

Love the game though, super satisfying to run into a crowded room with nothing but a knife and cover the room with blood.

Well these guys are (or were) pretty poor, so stylized graphics was probably is the only way to go with this one.

Picked it up today, rather enjoying it. Played about 9 levels in a single sitting. Quite like the narrative and trippy presentation. Hope the secrets in the game are good.

Lain

Reached Part Three. The knife seems to work beautifully on the dogs and it's hella fun bum rushing a room, slashing all the people inside (or trying to, so many times I kicked the bucket, sometimes even just by trying to get the knife from the first enemy lol).
The "boss battle" was interesting and mean.

I've been using the Owl mask every time, to try and find secrets. There is something about the chicken mask that makes me think about Chicken George from a manga that people in the manga thread love.

charsace

They are indie devs. They don't have the bankroll to put out high res 2d or to use high poly 3d models. So I'm guessing its was either what we got(which looks great) or low poly 3d.

ScOULaris

Alright, I finally found a YouTube video of someone actually skilled playing Hotline Miami!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5VFk9h3Y9Q

Check it out. The creator even went so far as to dub in the sound effects manually so that the music would continue smoothly from one clip to the next. This is how everyone should be playing Hotline Miami: combo'ing kills together as fast as possible and only using guns when absolutely necessary (e.g. the big, black guys).

Top Bottom