• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

This game really does need a SDK or something. I'd love some more levels or different variations on the gameplay. Imagine stuff like flashbangs or Rainbow 6 styled pre-round teammate commands. :V
When I saw the ninja sword I instantly thought of a Kill Bill total conversion.

epmode

Yeah, I wasn't specific enough, but that's what I meant. More specifically, this game's retry structure is the same as that of Super Meat Boy. A ton of bite-sized levels, infinitely and instantly retried so the player never gets "too frustrated" or whatever. Correct me if I'm wrong and there are some genuinely large stages later on (though even in that case, the earlier the better).

Later stages are a little longer but I have a feeling that you won't like this game.

I happen to like stuff like Super Meat Boy and Trackmania with the short stages and instant restarts so It's a good time for me. There is room in my heart for the more unforgiving stuff too!

SJRB

Gold Member
Jesus I can't get past the first chapter of act 2, must have tried 35 times by now.

Edit - hell yeah I finished the chapter. Total massacre though, that ninja sword is awesome.

TZwoF.jpg

Dennis

Banned
This game is great. Liking the M&KB controls more than I thought I would, but I'll be interested in trying the 360 pad controls when the patch is out.

Also, probably soundtrack of the year.

What is this about a 360 pad patch? When is it due out?

Odrion

Banned
Game was actually much longer than I expected. I thought it was going to be a short 1.5-2 hour affair.

Game became a little weaker once you started playing levels that emphasized guns.

edit: I don't see how using a controller won't make you insanely frustrated when your thumbstick was just a littttttle off and you missed that one guy and he gibs you.

Salsa

took me 4.4 hours to beat

and yeah playing with a gamepad sounds like a nightmare. You need to be super fast in some of the later levels

Tain

Later stages are a little longer but I have a feeling that you won't like this game.

I happen to like stuff like Super Meat Boy and Trackmania with the short stages and instant restarts so It's a good time for me. There is room in my heart for the more unforgiving stuff too!

Yeah, Trackmania's also something I've sort of fallen out of love with, lol. It's not an instant dealbreaker or anything, though. Just part of the gap between what I want this game to be and what it is. I'll probably still end up giving this a shot.

After playing it mostly with keyboard and mouse, switching to a controller felt off at first but as I progressed it grew on me. Only issue I had was sometimes I click down on the right thumb stick and target someone while not meaning to. Other than that it felt pretty good.

Salsa

how the fuck is it that Dennis screenshots still look better than mine even in this game?

are you downsampling? lmao

omaroni

Finished the game , the last few stages were brutal and my hand was hurt afterward.
the music is out of this world , unbelievably good by them self but with the game the fit perfectly , you can get all the tracks from the game folder in ogg format.

Alright, I finally found a YouTube video of someone actually skilled playing Hotline Miami!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5VFk9h3Y9Q

Check it out. The creator even went so far as to dub in the sound effects manually so that the music would continue smoothly from one clip to the next. This is how everyone should be playing Hotline Miami: combo'ing kills together as fast as possible and only using guns when absolutely necessary (e.g. the big, black guys).

Meh, not impressive at all. Almost no combos, scary of fighting several dudes at one, slow pacing.

Arozay

Beat it and did the password thingy, still missing 2 masks or something.

Really enjoyed it while it lasted, looking forward to some sort of post game extension. Only a little bit of jankyness when it came to gameplay, such as going inside of enemy hitboxes.

Also would have been nice if there was a different sound when someone is downed and not killed, sometimes couldn't tell from just the visual alone and then have then get up and fist you.

Smash88

Banned
The game was easy.

Took me 2.5 hours, start to finish.

Definitely a fun game. The soundtrack holy shit amazing! I can't stop listening to it as we speak.

Great game, but felt somewhat short and easy.

Just a heads up about something you mentioned in the ending
There was no girlfriend before the one that got killed, remember he was in his coma when she was mentioned, by redhead friend.

That doesn't necessarily
mean she doesn't exist.
By that logic,
nothing that happened before he woke up actually happened.

Everything after Crackdown is not real. It's directly said so. Trauma onwards are just fever dreams. It can be argued that the unreal nature starts earlier, for there are some talking corpses around before that, not entirely sure if that is after or before the protagonist "kills" the biker.

ChaosXVI

The music...it's penetrating every fucking orifice!!! This is the best soundtrack this year hands down. Game over man, game over.

The game's full title should have been "Hotline Miami: We liked Drive. A lot."

Raptomex

Idk if that patch added the ability to customize controls (if it didn't I'm just an idiot). Either way this is exciting news for me.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
This game needs Steam Workshop support. How cool would a (well made, with appropriate changes etc) No More Heroes demake be? And other such level/story packs. But I wonder if it's even possible since I hear it was made with Game Maker. I don't think you could easily make a level editor within that. Maybe he'll eventually release an editable version of the game but that won't be easy enough for most to play around with (plus, probably require a Game Maker purchase) and I don't see it happening soon...

The game was easy.

Took me 2.5 hours, start to finish.

Definitely a fun game. The soundtrack holy shit amazing! I can't stop listening to it as we speak.

Great game, but felt somewhat short and easy.
I feel this is like saying Scribblenauts is easy. You get from the game, what creativity you put into it. If you want to use a machine gun, fire a few shots and have the entire mob run into your funnel then you can breeze through the game easily. But if you are using the levels in inventive ways you can create a much more hard boiled chain of events that feels amazing.

SJRB

Gold Member
there's a special thanks to Nicolas Winding Refn in the end credits

I lol'd

Really? That's awesome. This game is addicting as hell, "one more chapter, then I'll go to bed. One more"...

Edit - o god I think it's broken. I get errors everytime I boot up the game. And when it does start up, there is no audio. NO AUDIO. What the fuck is going on?

for object objDevolver:

Error defining an external function.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
We're, in all our amateurish glory, trying to push video content harder, so I tried my hand at a video review. You can watch it here.

It's pretty rough, that I know. Recorded it at ~4am with a sore throat, and I've never cut anything together in my life, so I was learning as I was going. Audio needs better mixing, I need to speak clearer and tighten up the review as a whole, but for a first effort I'm pretty happy with it.

Welcoming feedback!

Dennis

Banned
We're, in all our amateurish glory, trying to push video content harder, so I tried my hand at a video review. You can watch it here.

It's pretty rough, that I know. Recorded it at ~4am with a sore throat, and I've never cut anything together in my life, so I was learning as I was going. Audio needs better mixing, I need to speak clearer and tighten up the review as a whole, but for a first effort I'm pretty happy with it.

Welcoming feedback!

You suck

Oh you meant about the review? Well, I'd have to watch it I guess.

Also, about some other characters:

Is it just me, or were the two janitors at the end meant to represent the developers, Denneton? Cause they basically say since it's a game, the plot doesn't really matter, you just kill everything, and that it's really fun to do so and just enjoy the killing that you've gotten so good at.
I agree, I think they just try and make it some sort of construct. Though wasn't one of the
janitors
female? Either way I think it makes sense.
Stealth level was a really, really bad idea.
It was short enough, I don't see what the big deal is. If anything the boss battles were the one faux pas. If they wanted the character to end up in hospital is it really appropriate that he shoots/slashes his way out through innocent people?

I'm not really big into the whole
coma or not
thing. I think they just had some new ideas and probably just wanted to fit them in, felt that a Pulp Fiction style narrative would work.
You also don't need to kill a single person in that mission besides the guy in the black suit. When you went there as jacket-guy, everyone was dead.
Someone might have been sent after to finish the job. The answer phone references "other" cleaners who had failed. The whole thing is a bit messy, there could be
more than one biker?
I also think it's improbable that the girl was his girlfriend, at first you have to almost walk out to save her, and it seemed like they hadn't met. As a whole, I lean more towards the possibility that he kept the girl around just to fill a void in himself; throughout the game you only interact with her twice, and the main character never really shows much interest towards her. I don't think he ever really saw her as anything other than something to comfort himself. I wonder what the significance of the photograph at the "end" was; if my guess about the girl is true, he's probably just throwing the picture away as he doesn't have a purpose for her anymore. If it's a picture of his old girlfriend, I guess he's just putting things in the past.
I think they were trying to elude to something there.
she slept on the couch most of the time but the beds were moved together at one stage.
I also think that the mask guys were the main character's subconscious trying to make sense of what he had done in some sort of sick, twisted way while he was in a coma. The main character likely used the masks to remove himself from his actions, so it's fitting that this process would be portrayed as him conversing with people wearing masks. It also explains the rooster's questions and predictions and why he'd be the "leader" of the trio. The rooster was the first mask he ever got. I also think the reason his friend works everywhere is because the main character's memories got jumbled up while he was in a coma, so events and conversations sort of blurred together as a result. This also explains the random dead/dying guys in certain locales.
Agreed. The way each acted was just too schizophrenic. And it fits with the way that we use different masks to represent ourselves.
I wonder why his friend was assassinated. Was he somehow involved with the janitors or the Russians? Was he catching on? He obviously followed the case on the news and whatnot. Was he too close to the main character? Did he actually exist? Does it even matter?
I think they do matter. I see two possible interpretations,
literally the mafia took over those businesses or that he was undergoing some sort of paranoid psychosis and didn't trust his friends anymore.

Denzar

Welcoming feedback!

Did not come across as a first time vid review to me. English not being my mother tongue, even though I control it quite well, I had no trouble understanding you whatsoever. Better articulation might do some good, but as it is, except for sounding decidedly australian, that was great.

I agree with your review 100% and you supported your negative arguments with video "proof". A thing most video reviews don't even bother doing.

I'd add what website you write/work for at the beginning of the review as well as an introduction to who you are.

Hope that helped.

Back to the game. I had to replay the end of chapter 11 like a million times last night. That is some difficult stuff. Love it.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Just beat the game, what a ride. I didn't even know there was a lock on button, lol.

When it wants to work. It's hand though.

Once locked it's great, but don't try to lock on during a fight, it's a pain to lock on when doing nothing.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
What does 'rip and steal' mean with the monkey mask? Just curious. I still like the lethal doors mask the best.

I don't want this game to end.

bigace33

Welcoming feedback!

You are a natural at this kiddo. The review sounded just as good as any I've ever heard.

I think they were trying to elude to something there.
she slept on the couch most of the time but the beds were moved together at one stage.
I was really touched by the fact that girl really took care of his house. It was dirty, covered in pizza boxes, and had nothing that could remind sane person of the word comfort. Then she came in, and started to change things one by one. Beds were nice little touch that almost squeezed a tear. I was really hoping for the guy to have adequate life in the end, happy ending. And I believe that all these changed with his house were appearing while he was in coma, aren't they? Looks like it's the guy who dreamed about simple but happy life, they weren't real.

What does 'rip and steal' mean with the monkey mask? Just curious. I still like the lethal doors mask the best.

Silent execution with Space bar doesn't require to pick up weapon of the executed.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Thanks, Player.

You guys had me all worried about that stealth level...it took me about 3 minutes. Shit's easy, yo.

Raptomex

Welcoming feedback!
Dude that was pretty good. Better than anything I could have done.

SJRB

Gold Member

Cobra mask is cool too, makes every throw lethal. I am now using the unicorn mask but I'm not too sure how solid its effects are. Also - story is taking a turn for the surreal at the moment, everything is so messed up. Love the flow of the game too, some massive shootouts which are totally badass. Especially how he holds the SMG sideways, so cool.

By the way, how do you take someone hostage?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Done. This game owns. Aside from some annoying rough edges like the collision detection and the occasional poorly designed section, it was a great experience. The combat is brutal and intense and it just might be the coolest game I've ever played. So fucking stylish and twisted.

Hopefully we get new levels and/or a map editor soon, because I want more. I guess I'll mess around with the puzzle stuff for now.

Top Bottom