• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

SJRB

Gold Member
This game is hard as balls, holy hell.

I don't understand how people are talking about stealthing through this game, how the hell is that even possible?

Edit: quoting because this videos deserves every view it can get. So awesome:

Alright, I finally found a YouTube video of someone actually skilled playing Hotline Miami!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5VFk9h3Y9Q

Check it out. The creator even went so far as to dub in the sound effects manually so that the music would continue smoothly from one clip to the next. This is how everyone should be playing Hotline Miami: combo'ing kills together as fast as possible and only using guns when absolutely necessary (e.g. the big, black guys).

Paddling Ghost

Neo Member
This game is hard as balls, holy hell.

I don't understand how people are talking about stealthing through this game, how the hell is that even possible?

Probably talking about quickly popping round a corner and then waiting for them to come to you if they don't instashot you.

This game is really fun, the soundtrack is awesome and I'm just really enjoying it. The AI is pretty great but I wish enemies reacted to bodies and were more careful about approaching where you are.

Alright, I finally found a YouTube video of someone actually skilled playing Hotline Miami!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5VFk9h3Y9Q

Check it out. The creator even went so far as to dub in the sound effects manually so that the music would continue smoothly from one clip to the next. This is how everyone should be playing Hotline Miami: combo'ing kills together as fast as possible and only using guns when absolutely necessary (e.g. the big, black guys).

6:30 sequence was very slick.

Nearly punched my laptop on the last guy with the cats but managed to finish it just now. My hand hurts from furious clicking and I the story is just mad.

Tain

hmm

I like the music, and I like the idea of a super violent and visually nonsensical action game in this setting, but with the super short stages and instant respawning and everything this looks like it's very much like a saved state action game. Which I don't like. All the talk of "play it right by going for score" doesn't help at all, either, but that might be easy to forget about.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's not instant respawning it's instant restarting of the level/floor/area. How else would you do it? If you don't mind paying that sum for just 3-4 hours of fun then you don't have to go for high scores and unlocks in replays I guess, but why wouldn't you if it's fun? The game has something of a story but it's not exactly the primary reason to play through it.

Guys who haven't played through the game shouldn't watch much of ScOULaris' video either, too much content shown.

SJRB

Gold Member
I just figured out clicking the middle mouse button locks on to targets. This makes things significantly easier. Or "less difficult".

Tain

It's not instant respawning it's instant restarting of the level/floor/area. How else would you do it?
Yeah, I wasn't specific enough, but that's what I meant. More specifically, this game's retry structure is the same as that of Super Meat Boy. A ton of bite-sized levels, infinitely and instantly retried so the player never gets "too frustrated" or whatever. Correct me if I'm wrong and there are some genuinely large stages later on (though even in that case, the earlier the better).

If you don't mind paying that sum for just 3-4 hours of fun then you don't have to go for high scores and unlocks I guess, but why wouldn't you if it's fun? The game has something of a story but it's not exactly the primary reason to play through it.
The price doesn't matter either way to me, and a 3-4 hour length is fine. From something like this I'm looking for a game that is interesting and challenging to progress through more than one where I'd need to try to squeeze further challenge out of via some scoring system.

Paddling Ghost

Neo Member
Would have to pay £7 to watch a 1:30 long movie at the cinema anyway, and this is more fun and probably has more replayability. And it comes with an awesome soundtrack.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
for every huge string of black spoiler bar i see

i just think

"these straight edge nerds need some LCD and a good time boner." really, if you clockwork orange with a scarface vibe for a top notch nes game doesn't send your dick into fire-y squirts then you might as well quit.

just quit it all.

'cause this game is ... it just is

This is the definitive use of language.

Nemic77

Guys, the music, guys, seriously, the music in this.

Hotline Miami Soundtrack: Crystals

Yep. Aside from the Moon techno tracks I'm really enjoying the 80s dark synth tracks, especially this one: Turf Intro

Also, has anyone completed the puzzle, found all the letters? I'm missing the letter W. Just went through all the levels with the Rasmus mask, but I must have missed that one. Anyone know which chapter has that letter?

ezekial45

Banned
I'm hearing a lot about this game, but every time I look at it is just seems like one of those free flash games from Armor Games or Newgrounds.

vitacola

lol, just replayed "The Final Chapter" to collect the puzzle piece:
The boss killed me with his suicidal headshot :D

Also, has anyone completed the puzzle, found all the letters? I'm missing the letter W. Just went through all the levels with the Rasmus mask, but I must have missed that one. Anyone know which chapter has that letter?
Just look for a black spot next to the mask in the chapter menu ;)

EDIT:
Does anyone know what the
French/fish
mask does?

ScOULaris

I'm hearing a lot about this game, but every time I look at it is just seems like one of those free flash games from Armor Games or Newgrounds.
It's definitely more substantial than most of what you would see on Newgrounds and the like, and it's certainly worth the $10. Take the plunge.

vidcons

Banned

it's killer 7 for people who identify with the species: Bear

as in, you are wrong and should plop $10 in the steam man's hands.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Got all the letters and finished the game again having solved the puzzle.

Yep.

So I've pretty much played through the whole game twice now. Still love it.

Ok I gotta ask, what is this
stealth level
people are talking about? I seriously can't remember playing a
stealth level
in this game.

After reading about everyone's annoyance with that stealth level I was expecting to be pulling my hair out from it but it ended up being pretty easy for me. The only part I had trouble with in the game was the final boss and that's only because I wasn't sure what to do. It took a bunch of tries before I figured it out.

The real challenge is going to be flying through the levels and trying to get the highest score possible. Once I've found all the secrets I'm going to attempt that.

Huggy

I don't think people understand you can't
rush past guards when they're turning pages on their newspaper.
Got me in the beginning.

I think your take on the prostitute/girlfriend is too cynical. You say the two characters had almost zero interaction, but that's just the style of the game, in my opinion. There's not exactly tons of dialogue. There was a nice, subtle detail that I noticed. After you save the girl, small things change in the apartment each time the game resets to the apartment. At first she is sleeping on the couch, then she is in the bathroom, then she is sleeping in a bed on the other side of the room from the MC, then finally the beds are moved together. I thought it was a subtle way of suggesting the two become closer as the game progressed.

Something I haven't quite figured out was the significance of the girl disappearing after the fight with Blue Helmet. I really think theory of "blue helmet guy puts you in a coma" has the most behind it. It allows both endings to happen, and also explains all the weird shit that starts happening after that mission. I think that's also when the girl disappears from the apartment. Maybe it symbolizes that the MC is no longer with the girl, since he's in the hospital.

Another small detail I loved was on certain levels, you would find corpses which looked similar to the MC, also wearing animal masks, implying that the two playable characters arent the only ones this is happening to.

Yeah, after a replay I'm definitely buying more into
the theory that the girl is the MC's girlfriend. I was wrong about having to almost walk out and I also misinterpreted the dialogue about the main character "losing" his girlfriend; I did notice the little details the first time around but I mostly thought "oh that's nice" and left it at that.
I'm not entirely sure if I buy the biker guy puts you in a coma thing, mostly because of how graphic things were for biker guy's side (MC's head was practically gone) and also MC sees biker guy's face when he kills him. How would MC know what biker guy's face looked like if biker guy put him in a coma? The only details I've found that contribute to that idea is the weird stuff happening after that and the fact that for some reason MC's head has bandages in the hospital. I'm pretty sure he only got shot in the chest?

It's almost as if the dude who made "Bart the General" decided to make the game. I get a major "Bart the General" vibe by looking at the characters.

Just as I was starting to feel really comfortable with this game, blazing through the levels, and pulling off some really cool kill chains, I began Chapter
. Shooting is not something I'm very comfortable with in this game because it's so hard to aim and shoot before you get blasted. I guess I better figure it out quick.

The game also likes to crash a lot on this chapter. I'll wait for a patch before trying it again, but I have enjoyed my time with it so far. I recommend it to anyone on the fence, and remember, play fast!

sixghost

I don't think people understand you can't
rush past guards when they're turning pages on their newspaper.
Got me in the beginning.

Yeah I didn't pick up on that at all the first time through. It's much easier once you realize that.

Haunted

Who the fuck thought messing with your controls in an instant fail stealth level was a good idea? Massive design failure, just psyduck.jpg. Don't even know how to approach it.

Game is fantastic otherwise.

Who the fuck thought messing with your controls in an instant fail stealth level was a good idea? Massive design failure, just psyduck.jpg. Don't even know how to approach it.

Game is fantastic otherwise.

It's not like you have to be super precise in your stealthing. You can prevent the headache by standing around for a few seconds until your screen clears.

ScOULaris

So I was just watching the "Wear Something Fancy" trailer that was released a few weeks before launch (IIRC), and the sprite for the main character in the video is a fat man wearing a wife beater and a pig mask.

I wonder if that sprite was made just to coincide with the overweight actor that they chose for the live-action portion of the trailer... Food for thought.

SJRB

Gold Member
So I was just watching the "Wear Something Fancy" trailer that was released a few weeks before launch (IIRC), and the sprite for the main character in the video is a fat man wearing a wife beater and a pig mask.

I wonder if that sprite was made just to coincide with the overweight actor that they chose for the live-action portion of the trailer... Food for thought.

Weird trailer. Is that head-bash even in the final game?

Also - the character sprite in the final game is so much better. I just imagine it being Ryan Gossling in an eighties version of Drive.

Nemic77

Nice catch. Didn't notice it first time I watched it...

Seeing that sprite just makes me wonder of the possibilities this game could have with story driven DLCs or even a deep editor.

Dachande

This game is great. Liking the M&KB controls more than I thought I would, but I'll be interested in trying the 360 pad controls when the patch is out.

Also, probably soundtrack of the year.

Did anyone else have an issue on Chapter 6 crashing constantly after about 2 minutes of gameplay? I really want to play this game more, but it won't let me.

Odrion

Banned
This game really does need a SDK or something. I'd love some more levels or different variations on the gameplay. Imagine stuff like flashbangs or Rainbow 6 styled pre-round teammate commands. :V

Dennis

Banned
lmao during the tutorial instead of shooting a guy I accidentally threw my shotgun at him knocking him down. OK, I thought, that'll work........then he picks up the shotgun and blasts me.

Top Bottom