• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards S5 |OT| What’s said in the family, stays in the family - Netflix 5/30

Enclose

still on episode 4, why is everyone hating doug? not that he doesn't deserve to be hated, but he's just as fucking evil as all the rest of the Underwood camp.

cant understand this too. Would understand if its Seth what he did in episode 2 but the rest idk...

Serge85

for what reason? Tom is a dick. Claire is a pillar of the show.

I think the character (claire) went downhill since the "shame on you petrov" thing on worldwide TV, after that the sabotage "war" with frank....meh, I don't like her anymore.

EDIT: Also hate tom.

Vic_Viper

Please tell me the entire season isnt focused on the election. I really hope they get past it sooner rather than later and im pretty far in already.

Needs more Frank this season. Too much focus on the others.

That was my biggest issue with last season and his coma lol.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Episode 6

Wait, how did
the NSA guy get kidnapped? He was doing some shit at the NSA, then the lady Doug is always butting heads got a mysterious call about leaking some info and now NSA guy is kidnapped. I missed something there.

Vic_Viper

Episode 6

Wait, how did
the NSA guy get kidnapped? He was doing some shit at the NSA, then the lady Doug is always butting heads got a mysterious call about leaking some info and now NSA guy is kidnapped. I missed something there.

Still on episode 6 atm,
but originally he was just running away because of all the messed up stuff he did for Frank and he was scared what might happen. He was threatening to leak stuff about what he did if Frank didnt stop looking for him with the FBI and CIA. Not exactly sure how he got kidnapped though lol.

Edit:
Holy Shit, the Russians picked him up while he was in hiding lol. This show is so good!

GreyWind

Just finished Season 5

Holy shit, when Claire said "My turn" at the end... I think it was a good ending, setting things up for Season 6.

As much as I'd love to hate her, I just can't, she's now the main pillar of everything. I'm also not gonna miss Tom Y, rip.

cant understand this too. Would understand if its Seth what he did in episode 2 but the rest idk...
Seth's motives are questionable with how...
he's willing to sell out Doug?
What does he even know? I don't think there was any indication that he knows about any of the murders
I hate Tom

I hate claire.
giphy.gif

for what reason? Tom is a dick. Claire is a pillar of the show.
can't speak for Serge but as long as she's supporting her husband, fuck her. just like in real life with all of Trump's family supporting him.

Sunster

Seth's motives are questionable with how...
he's willing to sell out Doug?
What does he even know? I don't think there was any indication that he knows about any of the murders

giphy.gif

can't speak for Serge but as long as she's supporting her husband, fuck her. just like in real life with all of Trump's family supporting him.

na I'm team dictator when I watch cards. anyone in their way needs to be handled.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
m'guys

not really feeling it this season. Got to 7 eps and it is just not doing it for me. I think it might be that I am already politically burned out and with all this machiavellian drama it is just not capturing my attention.

you're evil!
He's right. Frank is right too. Americans are idiots who need the Underwoods to wipe their noses for them, tell them when it's time to use the bathroom, etc.

Am I the only one who thinks that Tom holds this show back? Doug only really sucks by extension because of the shit things he's done/does exposing us to this dumb storyline with the reporters looking for leads and <snoooorreee>

Started the first episode of season 5 only to realize I missed all of season 4 while I was "away". I guess it's a positive though. I get to binge 2 seasons.

Sunster

Same, it's just not fun if you root against the Underwoods, as messed up as they are lol

They're bound to go down eventually so I'm just enjoying the ride

yep same with Walter White. I have no qualms about hoping the Underwood dynasty lasts 20 years in this universe. They are not real like the characters in Narcos. in that show I felt very real anger when Pablo did terrible things and continued to evade punishment.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Through episode 8, but I have concerns about where this is going. Obviously, I haven't finished this season yet, but...

The show is compelling, the drama is tense, but the act of the Underwoods winning winning winning is growing tired on me. It's the same story every season. I figured the show called "House of Cards" would be about both the rise and fall of the Underwoods, and maybe they are getting to that point, but every time they bring up a plot line that can bring them down, they quickly stomp it out by the end of the season.

My concern is that if they keep squashing these good plot lines to bring them down, by the time they decide to conclude the series, they'll have to manufacture something forced to trigger their downfall. If they even have a downfall. I'll be greatly disappointed if they eventually end the series and the Underwoods are still at the top of the mountain.

As compelling as this season is so far, it's getting completely ridiculously overboard too. Still enjoying it, despite it possibly coming off that I'm not, but gotta call it how I see it in the moment.

He's right. Frank is right too. Americans are idiots who need the Underwoods to wipe their noses for them, tell them when it's time to use the bathroom, etc.

Am I the only one who thinks that Tom holds this show back? Doug only really sucks by extension because of the shit things he's done/does exposing us to this dumb storyline with the reporters looking for leads and <snoooorreee>

This is me too lol

Same, it's just not fun if you root against the Underwoods, as messed up as they are lol

They're bound to go down eventually so I'm just enjoying the ride

you're all evil.

KingK

Didn't realize this was out.

Season 1>4>>2>>3 imo. Claire is my favorite character in the show by far as of season 4.

I'm about to binge the first few episodes tonight.

Just finished it about an hour ago.

I think it's one of the worst seasons, easily. Way too much inconsistent filler that switches between long and uninteresting status quos to land almost exactly where it started. The second half is much better, but jesus that first half felt like it lasted an eternity.

Thankfully, it's made much better by the fact that it's (overall season spoilers)
a lot more women centric (especially as the season goes on) and that the dynamics of Franks creating more of him along the way is great.
Also I can't deny that there were some genuinely gripping and tense scenes, especially on (mid season spoilers)
the first election night
. It also felt really authentic too how (mid season spoilers)
Frank won the presidency by stealing it, mirroring his "democracy is overrated" speech earlier in the series.

The season that 5 reminds me the most of is 3, and that's not great. Pretty disappointing coming out of the excellent 4, but at least I was entertained for a good amount.

4 > 1 > 2 > 5 > 3

Paz

The moment to moment intensity is pretty good thanks to the consistent acting and directing but overall it felt like the slowest and least meaningful season yet :/

Especially the first half.

Einchy

Yeah, I'm all in for the Underwoods, too. I love when Francis does something downright evil and is able to maneuver himself out of any consequences. All of that in incredibly entertaining but I also wanna see someone take him down, it'd be pretty crazy if someone is finally able to expose his shit so well that he can't talk himself out of the situation.

Arkeband

Banned
I groaned a groan of despair in episode 3 when Doug almost
drank alcohol again. The last thing we need is another Doug season where he abuses electronics in a drunken stupor.

Einchy

Episode 7 start.

I'm pretty sure whatever they wanted to do with season 5 was completely scrapped because the end of season 4 makes it seem like Claire is going full Francis and they would completely and ruthlessly work together but Claire seems to still be the person she was and they're butting heads constantly.

Really liking the season so far, it's maybe one of the best ones, but that part really doesn't make much sense in the context of season 4's ending.

I groaned a groan of despair in episode 3 when Doug almost
drank alcohol again. The last thing we need is another Doug season where he abuses electronics in a drunken stupor.

Wow, i completely forgot that was a thing until I read this comment just now. I only rewatched the last two episodes of season 4 last night, clearly I need to rewatch more lol.

Einchy

Episode 9.

Francis will make sweet lovin' to ya but first he wants you to think he's gonna kill ya. He's a romantic.

Great season so far, they're really at the top of their game with this one.

Malo

Banned
WTF at episode 12.

First Francis pushing Durant down the stairs and Claire killing Yates. I think I'm done with the Underwoods. Also, the line that Green said about the FBI not getting involved in an election hit way too close to home.

Top Bottom