• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards S5 |OT| What’s said in the family, stays in the family - Netflix 5/30

Trago

Alright, finished the season. Holy shit, it's probably my new favorite season after season 1!

The eerie similarities between the events of the show and reality just kept hitting me.

And the last three episodes were just suspenseful and fantastic! Hammer is probably my favorite character too. I still got a lot to process, but damn, I can't wait for the next season!

Sai-kun

Banned
whoooo episode 9
frank found a cute boy toy again! it was cute to see him next to yates for a minute haha

During the Campaign story arc, how come nobody ever brings up that Claire is Frank's wife. This would be a huge scandal if someone decided to run a ticket consisting of himself and his wife

The Cathy Durant death scene is so bad. She falls down like five steps and dies?! Even if that were plausible, why would you take the chance to do it in the White House and with a method that is much more likely to cause a sprained ankle? What if she were to just sustain a concussion? Does Frank try to kill her by pushing her down the second flight of stairs? Also the fact that it's glossed over is such lazy writing. It would be HUGE if the Secretary of State died in the White House.

Claire Underwood poisons a man, fucks him while he's dying, leaves more evidence than OJ Simpson with his bloody glove and then leaves his dead body in the house of a man she only met this year and expects him to clean it up. And that's not even mentioning the two secret service agents that witness her enter and leave the house.

Like I know that the Trump White House puts pressure on HoC writers to come up with some out there plotlines but we're entering CSI levels of lazy writing here.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
During the Campaign story arc, how come nobody ever brings up that Claire is Frank's wife. This would be a huge scandal if someone decided to run a ticket consisting of himself and his wife

The Cathy Durant death scene is so bad. She falls down like five steps and dies?! Even if that were plausible, why would you take the chance to do it in the White House and with a method that is much more likely to cause a sprained ankle? What if she were to just sustain a concussion? Does Frank try to kill her by pushing her down the second flight of stairs? Also the fact that it's glossed over is such lazy writing. It would be HUGE if the Secretary of State died in the White House.

Claire Underwood poisons a man, fucks him while he's dying, leaves more evidence than OJ Simpson with his bloody glove and then leaves his dead body in the house of a man she only met this year and expects him to clean it up. And that's not even mentioning the two secret service agents that witness her enter and leave the house.

Like I know that the Trump White House puts pressure on HoC writers to come up with some out there plotlines but we're entering CSI levels of lazy writing here.

I don't think she died, she was just injured and recovering in the hospital. But yeah, it was really bad nonetheless.

neshcom

Banned
Full season:
Man, I feel super underwhelmed. I can't believe the first two-thirds of the season were prolonging the election further and further to the point of collapse. And then Conway's downfall is just portrayed as a CNN panel discussion.

The whole "Aiden is in Russia now for some reason" was really poorly setup. Same for the almost-retcon of saying the first Al Ahmadi was in Underwood's custody.

The final line with Claire was so corny--hell, the entire season is littered with corn. I cannot believe the daddy line made it in. Take the one nation Underwood line: it's a fine promotional tag line, but that scene was supposed to be serious and reassuring for Claire.

And I'm really not looking forward to Claire and Frank butting heads again. Frank's """"""plan""""" is not intriguing because we are completely outside of the ability to perceive the sort of power Frank wants. It's probably a good guess to think it'll be something like Jane's ability to liaise with foreign entities, but her character is only shown off as this half-baked Red Woman who knows how to say names with the proper accent.

I'll probably watch next season out of morbid curiosity, but I'm so so disappointed with how convoluted the conflicts have gotten and how much is actively not told to a semi-present, semi-omniscient, semi-exclusive diegetic viewer.

Vic_Viper

It hasn't been renewed for 6 yet, or 7 for that matter. I can't find any articles saying it's been renewed past season 5. I mean I'm sure it will get at least another season, but yeah.

Yeah dont know where the seasons 6 and 7 confirmation come from but its definitely not being reported about anywhere I could find. I really hope it does but im worried that its either costing Netflix too much or they just arent making the money they were when this show first started.

I think Season 6 is highly probable but not so sure about season 7. Guess it all falls down to how much this season makes.

True Fire

This season was horrible. Not getting into any spoilers, but I'm just appalled at how nonsensical and meandering this show has become. And the acting is legitimately bad at times. Episode 12 had me rolling my eyes more than Season 5 of Game of Thrones.

The One and Done™;238759374 said:
He was most certainly playing both sides. Remember what he said, he backs candidates not parties.

Sucks about Conway though. He was royally screwed out of the election.
by the end i don't think he would be able to do it. during the campaign perhaps but i think the meddling of the underwoods was starting to drive him crazy

wapplew

This season was horrible. Not getting into any spoilers, but I'm just appalled at how nonsensical and meandering this show has become. And the acting is legitimately bad at times. Episode 12 had me rolling my eyes more than Season 5 of Game of Thrones.

Feel the same.
The whole season feel messy and unconvincing. It's like they try to one up reality with shocking scene that make no sense.

Sai-kun

Banned
Finished. That was goooooooooooooooooooooodddd

finale spoilers
"If she doesn't pardon me...i'll kill her
chillllls

WHY THE FUCK DO THEY GO BACK TO FRANK VS CLAIRE AGAIN WHY WHY WHY

12XMGIWtrHBl5e.webp

Just finished.

...Meh.

Maybe like a lot of people, Trump ruined this show for me since real life is now 10x more interesting/horrifying, but yeah I was just bored for most of it.

And really, ending with yet another
Frank vs Claire setup
? Haven't we done this already? Show really should had ended two seasons ago if they're just got do the same plots again and again.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Ep 4 into ep 5 spoilers

I don't really get what happened with the votes. So there was a terrorist attack at a place in TN and so they closed the voting early which makes their electoral contribution null? Same with Ohio?

neshcom

Banned
Ep 4 into ep 5 spoilers

I don't really get what happened with the votes. So there was a terrorist attack at a place in TN and so they closed the voting early which makes their electoral contribution null? Same with Ohio?

I think this gets addressed in the next episode or so? It's small, but it's that
the states don't certify their votes, so they hand out no electoral votes.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I think this gets addressed in the next episode or so? It's small, but it's that
the states don't certify their votes, so they hand out no electoral votes.

I guess my question is more.... is this at all realistic? If a voting center in Knoxville goes under attack, would a state really close their voting statewide and then not certify their votes. I'm also not really sure the process of "certifying" votes.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Through 5 or 6 episodes now and I'm really enjoying it. Last season wasn't my favorite but this is a real return to the ruthless dirty trick power grab politics that I enjoy so much the first couple of seasons.

Going to try and power thru the rest tomorrow.

Davide

Only watched the first episode and while great I can already tell the worst thing about it is Tom.

Does the knocking return this season?

neshcom

Banned
I guess my question is more.... is this at all realistic? If a voting center in Knoxville goes under attack, would a state really close their voting statewide and then not certify their votes. I'm also not really sure the process of "certifying" votes.
This is another failing of the story as it doesn't lay out the time frame very well. I could believe that pressure from the attack would keep voting from those states that ended prematurely to postpone for a couple months--long enough to miss the electorate voting. Say the threat of more attack is still credible and run out the clock.

7he Talon

Just finished the season:

I wasn't impressed and I somewhat zoned out towards the end of the season. It felt like the writing was just really sloppy this season. Like, I know the show is meant to be a bit out there, but this season was a whole another level. Especially the last few episodes.

The last scene with Clair was pretty cool, but surely the show only has one more season left in the tank.

True Fire

I'm just not sure what they were thinking with the (episode 12 spoilers)
president pushing the Secretary of State down the stairs
. I think they played it for laughs to hide how hopelessly idiotic the writing was.

The One and Done™;238759374 said:
He was most certainly playing both sides. Remember what he said, he backs candidates not parties.

Sucks about Conway though. He was royally screwed out of the election.

what an asshole. this show is starting to feel like a less action packed version of game of thrones.

everybody looking out for just themselves, on a quest for power and basically wanting everyone to be devoted to them, and an evil motherfucker with the most power, sitting on an iron throne in an oval office.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
I'm just not sure what they were thinking with the (episode 12 spoilers)
president pushing the Secretary of State down the stairs
. I think they played it for laughs to hide how hopelessly idiotic the writing was.

Yeah, I swore it was going to be some sort of imaginative sequence and not real.

Socivol

Finished it last night the last couple of episodes get REALLY sloppy to me.
Why did Frank fight so hard to get the presidency only to fuck it up with leaks and being a dick?
I understand he said he did it for Claire but that seems so out of character for him
Why did
Leann want to fuck Doug after how poorly he had treated her and why did Doug say he killed Zoe? Why would Frank leak that story and make Doug cop to it?
It just got really messy with
Claire becoming president
and it also made it really obvious that
Frank was a really shitty president with no accomplishments
by the end.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Halfway through the season.

I've loved the show up until this point, but man I'm starting to feel the fatigue. Just feels repetitive.

Show needs to really mix things up or end. Preferably end.

Tore through this. What a great season. Maybe the best.
Pretty much. Also has the most twists and turns. I devoured this season whole.

But ... I'll never be comfortable with seeing real world news personalities acting through their schticks on a show like this, especially these days.

Top Bottom