• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are we supposed to actually PLAY all of these RPGs?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Tales of Symphonia was awesome. I played through that in its entirety. It was lucky, as it was early enough to squeak by before the press. Star Ocean 3 also, but that game sucked, so I dropped it after 30 hours. Wasn't too impressed with Phantom Brave, so I put that aside too, but Shadow Hearts 2 got lots of playtime. Sadly, this is when things start to get a bit dense, and as much as I enjoyed SH2, Paper Mario 2 killed it, so that's currently dominating my playtime.

X-Men Legends is awesome fun, but I had to put that aside too. The Bard's Tale will probably meet a similar fate?

I don't even KNOW if I'll be able to beat it before Nightmare of Druaga, LotR Third Age (console RPG) and LotR Third Age (handheld SRPG) hit. And I'm dying to play Megaten Nocturne, but vowed that I'd finish Paper Mario first. Nocturne calls to me though... I should at least unwrap it, right?

And it only gets worse in November! Baten Kaitos as well!

HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO HAVE THE TIME?

Edit - Yes, I know that there are others that I haven't mentioned yet.

Dyne

Pedigree Chum said:
Simple answer: swear off RPG's like me.

Hey, me too.

I gave up after I picked up Vagrant Story for cheap, which was a while ago. Haven't touched TOS. Probably won't touch Nocturne. Maybe FFXII, but that's pushing it.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
You're not. It's all a cunning conspiracy. Everyone else in the world is working on creating RPGs so that you don't have enough time to finish them. Then, when you're slumped unconscious on your couch, passed out mid-session as you try to fit all the games in, we gather round and point at you. And laugh.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Or don't play anything but RPGs.
I'm a happier gamer.

Bristow

Banned
Only RPG I've played this year is Paper Mario 2. Don't plan on playing another one until Jade Empire, although that LOTR: The Third Age looks interesting.

bitwise

Banned
I don't buy a new RPG until I finish one. Or in some cases (like Paper Mario 2), I don't really care for the game enough to play through it, and sell it for the next RPG I want to play. If I left them sitting around unfinished I would feel guilty

Catalyst

Banned
You guys have to admit...it's been a great year for RPGs
jam.gif

madara

funny all these rpgs but still dont see one that majorly got my eye, Traditional town to town traveling, upgrading to that next uber weapon, etc. Next year. PS collection, Wild arms, ys, etc.

Mejilan

I knoooooow. But I'm intensely curious about Megaten 3.

Still, I'm in a chapter in Paper Mario with f-ckin PIRATES. It begs to be played.

Mejilan

You'd be surprised how little GAF affects my game-buying tendencies.

Offhand, the only game they recently influenced me to buy was Katamari Damacy, and that was a GOOD thing.

Mejilan said:
You'd be surprised how little GAF affects my game-buying tendencies.

Offhand, the only game they recently influenced me to buy was Katamari Damacy, and that was a GOOD thing.

i was deceived into buying mark of kri and pop - which were both ass

wipeout364

I'm in the same boat but I refuse to start more than one RPG at a time. But look at this list:
Star OCean 3
Phantom Brave
Megaman X Command mission
Shadow Hearts: Covenant(under way)
Shin Megami Teisen
Fable
Paper Mario

That pretty much wraps up my my RPG playtime till early 2006
But oh no here come more

KOTOR 2
JAde Empire
Xenosaga 2
Digital devil Saga

And I am sure there are lots more coming next year later on.

Bebpo

Banned
Never start a new rpg until you've finished your current one.

The new one will always seem fresh because it's something different than what you've been doing for 20+ hours in your current rpg but this pattern only leads to not finishing them.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I gave up on RPGs too, but I HAD to get Shadow Hearts 2 and Nocturne. Just couldn't help myself. :)

Bebpo said:

The new one will always seem fresh because it's something different than what you've been doing for 20+ hours in your current rpg but this pattern only leads to not finishing them.

My problem is that I always get worried an RPG will be harder to find once I'm ready to buy it if I don't get it at release.

Anymore I've found myself less and less concerned about a lot of RPGs. Too many of them are straying into the action genre. I find myself hankering for a return to the olden days.. when you took turns.. oh those lovely turns.

Final Fantasy X did it just right for me, I didn't need the little bar on the side to tell me like ten turns into the future but, just taking turns.

I'll definately snag KotOR 2.. The Star Wars fan in me demands it. And I must add Kingdom Hearts 2 to any list of RPGs to get. Level design flaws in the first one aside, I absolutely loved Kingdom Hearts.

Brofist

Bebpo said:

Ding ding ding..we have a winner.

And also why even buy the game if you are just gonna put it aside. Unless it's a LE game that will be off the shelves (which is never usually the case these days) there's no reason to buy collect games you never play.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I can't tell you how happy I am that I laid off Tales of Symphonia and Star Ocean. I'm not all RPGed out for the crunch season. :D

Tales of Symphonia was awesome. I played through that in its entirety. It was lucky, as it was early enough to squeak by before the press. Star Ocean 3 also, but that game sucked, so I dropped it after 30 hours. Wasn't too impressed with Phantom Brave, so I put that aside too, but Shadow Hearts 2 got lots of playtime.

Uhhhhh....

Considering the games you dissed are both considerably better than the games you loved, you can start by figuring out what a standout RPG is.

X-Men Legends is awesome fun, but I had to put that aside too. The Bard's Tale will probably meet a similar fate?

I don't even KNOW if I'll be able to beat it before Nightmare of Druaga, LotR Third Age (console RPG) and LotR Third Age (handheld SRPG) hit.

You can also solve your RPG problem by staying away from those games.

Get Baiten Kaitos, and if you want another one get SMTN, then if you need another one get that other SMT game (it comes out this year right?).

What major RPG's don't you have already? Maybe you should be trying them before you start scraping the bottom right off of the barrel.

I'm still trying to finish up Star Ocean. I usually try to play an action RPG, SRPG, or adenture game between traditional RPGs just to keep from burning out, but the only time that ever happened was after playing two gorgeous but overly long mediocre games with boring battles consecutively: Skies of Arcadia and Breath of Fire 4.

I still have yet to play too far into Dragon Quarter, although I love it, and I will have to pass up SMT3, Phantom Brave, and Shadow Hearts 2 due to time. I'll probably finish Front Mission 4 before starting Paper Mario or Baten Kaitos (some time next year most likely, although then comes Suikoden 4 and the Suikoden series comes before all else for me).

Game Boy is getting much more play right now and I am dying for Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls, even though I have played FF1 to death already.

Star Ocean 3 just might be my favorite RPG for this generation if it weren't for the frequent glitches and obscene spikes in enemy power. I like the long, involved dungeons, but some just get too long.

demi

Playing that RPG is like peeling an onion. As you peel, you will begin to cry, knowing that there are several other onions (RPGs) left to peel, and those onions will keep building up and up until you are a blubbering vagina and are left with a lot of onions to peel.

I hope that clears things up!

Mejilan

The Prime Director said:
Uhhhhh....

Considering the games you dissed are both considerably better than the games you loved, you can start by figuring out what a standout RPG is.

You can also solve your RPG problem by staying away from those games.

Get Baiten Kaitos, and if you want another one get SMTN, then if you need another one get that other SMT game (it comes out this year right?).

What major RPG's don't you have already? Maybe you should be trying them before you start scraping the bottom right off of the barrel.

I've been playing RPGs since they were invented. I know what a standout RPG is, imho, of course. I have BK preordered, and already own SMTN. I don't rent games, and I generally buy them on day 1, not later, so I wouldn't even get a chance to borrow them from a friend.

I know what a standout RPG is, imho, of course.

And you think ToS and SH2 are better than SO3 and Phantom Brave? You think SO3, possibly the best traditional RPG so far this generation, "sucked"?

Sorry if I don't put any investment in your opinion. IMHO, of course.

BTW, you generally don't play games that "suck" for 30 hours.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I'm still deciding if I like Paper Mario or Star Ocean more.. Paper Mario owned in the begining but dropped off.

One thing is for certain, Its been awhile since i've had so many rpgs to play

Mejilan

Star Ocean 3 was the most shallow and broken RPG experience in years. Which is a shame, because I absolutely loved 2nd Story, and I've been a Tri-Ace whore since Valkyrie Profile. But we've discussed SO3's flaws in prior threads months ago, and there's no point trudging through that again. What happened was that ToS was the first new console RPG I played in many months, and it kinda whet my appetite for the rest of the games I knew were coming out later in the year. Now.

As for Phantom Brave... I supposed I shouldn't be surprised, I greatly disliked the past two Nippon Ichi SRPGs. Heh.

As for Shadow Hearts 2. I does NOT live up to all of the hype and love it seems to be getting here on GAF and indeed, in most reviews. But as far as traditional JRPGs go, it is a bit different, and certainly quite competent. Nothing special, but interesting and fun.

Besides, this thread is supposed to be all about the crazy onslaught of RPGs this holiday season, not an RPG dick measuring contest.

jiggle

I don't have such dilema,especially now that a few of the RPGs are delayed. Even have time to fit in an import or two. Just have to completely ignore all other genres that's all...

There's completely no time to replay any of them though.

wipeout364 said:
And I am sure there are lots more coming next year later on.

Atelier Iris
Growlanser Generation
Kingdom Hearts II
Dragon Quest VIII
Dragon Quest V (Pretty please Square?)
Final Fantasy XII
Wild Arms remake
Wild Arms IV
Radiata
Musashi Samurai Legend
Shining Tears
Shining Force
Ys
Romancing Saga remake
Arc the Lad
Stella Deus(??)

to name a few more. Ah, I love RPG lists:) Next year could be an even bigger year for RPGs.

Mejilan

Yeah, I have the Deluxe Edition of Growlanser Generations preordered. And man I can't wait for FF1&2 on the GBA...

Star Ocean 3 was the most shallow and broken RPG experience in years.

Uh, no. Whatever. It definately was a better game than the solid but overrated ToS. Strange how people were creaming all over that game when it was nothing more than another game in the Tales series, now in 3D. You'd think they've never played the PSOne games before...

As for Phantom Brave... I supposed I shouldn't be surprised, I greatly disliked the past two Nippon Ichi SRPGs. Heh.

Obviously you don't like those types of games so why are you including them in the same list as traditional RPGs?

Whatever. I'm just sick of the SO3 bashing.

ferricide

The Prime Director said:
Whatever. I'm just sick of the SO3 bashing.
the SO love/hate thing is so fucking boring in both directions. worn out topic. TOS love/hate seems less worn out now, which is goddamn scary.

ferricide

The Prime Director said:
Your dismissal of the game certainly contributed to that. "Battle system has a lot of problems", indeed. It was too damn fun.
yeah, my dissmissal of the game certainly contributed to it selling over 200k copies, too, i guess. =P OH WAIT

a 7 is not a bad score at all. i like the game. and IMO the battle system is broken and tedious. MOVE ON

Mejilan

Oh no sir! I'm a huge fan of SRPGs! Going back to the first I ever played, the venerable Shining Force on the Sega Genny... Shining Force, Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre, Final Fantasy Tactics, TO GBA, FFTA, Fire Emblem, etc, etc. I like or love most of them. I'm just not a fan of Nippon Ichi's goofy and unbalanced take on the genre, that's all. And this thread was created to appreciate and discuss most/all of the RPGs coming out this holiday season, not just "traditional" RPGs.

And I hear ya about SO3. You liked it. Fine. Leave off now. As I mentioned in numerous other threads in the past, I thought the combat system was a slow, clunky shadow of ToS', with less strategy, less control, and a completely broken AI system. No need to revisit. :D

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Diomedeskun said:
I'm still trying to finish up Star Ocean. I usually try to play an action RPG, SRPG, or adenture game between traditional RPGs just to keep from burning out, but the only time that ever happened was after playing two gorgeous but overly long mediocre games with boring battles consecutively: Skies of Arcadia and Breath of Fire 4.

I still have yet to play too far into Dragon Quarter, although I love it, and I will have to pass up SMT3, Phantom Brave, and Shadow Hearts 2 due to time. I'll probably finish Front Mission 4 before starting Paper Mario or Baten Kaitos (some time next year most likely, although then comes Suikoden 4 and the Suikoden series comes before all else for me).

Game Boy is getting much more play right now and I am dying for Final Fantasy: Dawn of Souls, even though I have played FF1 to death already.

Star Ocean 3 just might be my favorite RPG for this generation if it weren't for the frequent glitches and obscene spikes in enemy power. I like the long, involved dungeons, but some just get too long.
For the love of god, axe one of those other RPGs and play SMT: Nocturne.

:D

Ok fine. I'm buying Baten Kaitos and Growlanser Generations. I want more, but I'm running out of money. Stupid capitalists. I probably won't have to time to play that stuff anyway with San Andreas, Halo 2, etc. coming out.

So I guess the answers to this thread is NO, there isn't enough time. Is that what you were looking for?

Mejilan

The Prime Director said:
Ok fine. I'm buying Baten Kaitos and Growlanser Generations. I want more, but I'm running out of money. Stupid capitalists. I probably won't have to time to play that stuff anyway with San Andreas, Halo 2, etc. coming out.

So I guess the answers to this thread is NO, there isn't enough time. Is that what you were looking for?

Solidarity. I feel your pain, brutha.

ferricide

the trick is just buying the right ones for you. all of the games have something in them that will appeal to different people. figure out which ones are right for you, buy and play those.

i'll just be happy if SHC and SMTN do well, because those are my two favorites (out of the underdog ones that need the support.)

Top Bottom