• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How did Titanic do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Titanic is a chick flick with just enough action to be tolerable for guys. Hence why it did so well. Spider-Man's success can be explained the same way. Tobey Maguire just isn't half as popular with the girls as Leonardo DiCaprio was back then. Plus Spider-Man is boring and has crappy sfx.

bogg

Scoobert said:
Still haven't seen it, lol. I'm probably the only one, haha.

hehe, again, you are not alone. And I don't plan on seeing it. I FUCKIN HATE THAT STUPID FUCKIN SONG! FUCK YOU SELIN DION! DIE BITCH DIE!!!

bogg said:
I FUCKIN HATE THAT STUPID FUCKIN SONG! FUCK YOU SELIN DION! DIE BITCH DIE!!!

I so agree. Way to sky rocket her career guys. But I must say I will download this soon so I can relive the past. Just once. Haha, those were some fun times.

EDIT: I must say, I enjoyed Spice World a hell of a lot more than Titantic. I canc are less if you feel the need to label me with mainstream hate or not. That movie really had no redeeming qualities for me.

belgurdo

Banned
Why DID women keep going back to seeing that movie? There were problems with it everywhere and there are honestly better romance films.

seanoff

All these assertions that titanic did well on the back of some random teenage girls seeing it a few times is underselling it a tad.

Movies only gross even a third the numbers titanic did by being reasonable and engaging to watch for a huge number of people. Titanic therefore must be reasonable and engaging to a vast number.

It was certainly watchable, had some twists in the plot, ended in a reasonable way when she died, the SFX were spectacular, and must have obviously pressed the right buttons.

some math, if 5,000,000 girls saw it three times each @ $10 / time it's still only $150M, therefore the other $450M came from somewhere else. From this we can deduce that a lot of people saw this movie.

seanoff said:
All these assertions that titanic did well on the back of some random teenage girls seeing it a few times is underselling it a tad.

Movies only gross even a third the numbers titanic did by being reasonable and engaging to watch for a huge number of people. Titanic therefore must be reasonable and engaging to a vast number.

It was certainly watchable, had some twists in the plot, ended in a reasonable way when she died, the SFX were spectacular, and must have obviously pressed the right buttons.

some math, if 5,000,000 girls saw it three times each @ $10 / time it's still only $150M, therefore the other $450M came from somewhere else. From this we can deduce that a lot of people saw this movie.

IAWTP.

I've only seen it ONCE at the movies, even though my sister owns it on DVD, so this topic makes me want to watch it again as I'm not sure how much I like/disklike it.

Ppl saying it did so well on ppl going back for repeated viewings are just bullshitting and its a total cop out. The "freaks" that went and saw it "100milliontimesomfg!!1111111" would definately be in a small minority.

Its success was definately its amazing hype leading up to its release, broad appeal, stunning SFX, positive word of mouth, and a lack of many big name movies. The latter though wouldn't have had THAT much effect on its success though. Well at least I wouldn't think.

jett

D-Member
Bregor said:
For those who say that it's success is based entirely upon repeat viewings by teenage girls, could you please present some evidence to back this up?

Just go ask a few girls how many times did they watch Titanic in the theaters. I bet you most of them will say 3 times, at least. :p

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
It's a very good movie. I think that most of the negative backlash is from fans of Cameron's sci-fi movies who wish he'd get the hell back to making sci-fi movies.

The reason Titanic did so well for so long has more to do with it being a very good movie with very wide appeal. It appealed to young people because the leads were young. Teen girls because of Leo. Teen boys (the ones who weren't pissed off at Cameron for doing a non-sci-fi movie) for the nudity, special effects and the propellor dude. Couples because it's a good date movie. Older folks for nostalgia. History buffs for the historical aspects. Disaster movie fans. And the curious, interested in seeing what all the fuss was about for so long. And so on.

THAT is why Titanic did so well.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
This was on the actual IMDB Titanic message board:

WHAT???!!!!!????? Youve never cried during a movie!!!!!????!!!!!!! HOw can that be? omg i cry during like evvvvvvvvery single movie i ever watch. lmao. im pathetic haha. im just real sensitive. but yeah every single time i watch Titanic i cryyyyyyyyyyy sooooo hard its crazy. Titanic is without a doubt the saddest movie i have ever seen, and the most romantic.

Other movies that really make me cry are:

TITANIC
THE PIANIST - SOOOOOOOOOO SAD
E.T. - I CRY EVERY SINGLE TIME
THE GREEN MILE
THE FOX AND THE HOUND - MOVIES WITH ANIMALS ALWAYS MAKE ME CRY
THE LION KING
FORREST GUMP- MY FAVORITE MOVIE EVER!!!!!
MOULIN ROUGE
A.I. ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
ARMAGEDON - ESPECIALLY AT THE END

AND ALOOOOOOOT MORE MOVIES MAKE ME CRY. I ALWAYS CRY DURING MOVIES. I LOVE TO CRY DURING A MOVIE, IF A MOVIE MAKES ME CRY, THATS HOW I KNOW ITS SPECIAL. BUT THE 2 SADDEST MOVIES IVE EVER SEEN ARE TITANIC AND THE PIANIST.

Im sticking with the "Stupid girls who go to repat viewings" argument.

Manders

Banned
Agent Dormer said:
And a-no.

No, he's right. When I went to see it a second time to determine if I liked it or hated it, I actually fell asleep watching it. It honestly bored me to sleep.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
how about Cameron's "moment of silence" at the oscars? What a tard, like he made Schindler's List or something.

Manders

Banned
LOL

I agree. Cameron is a little bitch. Other things that annoy me about him are how he refused to do the next Alien movie because of AVP and his whole pissy fit about T3.

And now supposedly he's doing some 3d movie next. WTF is he thinking?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
what has he done movie wise since Titanic? Ghosts of Titanic? He shivers in bed clutching his oscar every night.

Bregor

Apparently, after seeing the LotR movies, Cameron decided that SFX had advanced to the point where he wanted to attempt a new big sci-fi movie. He is in the planning stages right now.

The man is now very rich and takes on the projects that interest him, and who can blame him?

Coin Return said:
This was on the actual IMDB Titanic message board:

Im sticking with the "Stupid girls who go to repat viewings" argument.

I gotta agree with CR and Dinosaurusrex's post before about broad band and filesharing, had this movie come out now, I think Spider Man 2, LOTR, and even Harry Potter would crush it at the Box Office.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Bregor said:
Apparently, after seeing the LotR movies, Cameron decided that SFX had advanced to the point where he wanted to attempt a new big sci-fi movie. He is in the planning stages right now.

The man is now very rich and takes on the projects that interest him, and who can blame him?
Word on the street says it's an adaptation of Battle Angel Alita.

A whole mass of factors went into Titanic's success:
Destruction and nudity for the males
Romance and Leo for the ladies
James Cameron's name
Oscar nominations gave it supposed credibility
Lack of other big films at the same time
Undeserved and obviously bribed PG-13
Teens have only disposable income
The spectacle of such a large budget
etc...

Mustang

Banned
I have to say I liked Titanic also.

Actually saw it twice at the theater and seeing a movie twice at a theater is quite rare for me.

Also have the DVD.

I am still trying to figure out the fascination of the pure mediocrity that is Shrek 2.

MIMIC

Banned
Red Dolphin said:
IAWTP.

I've only seen it ONCE at the movies, even though my sister owns it on DVD, so this topic makes me want to watch it again as I'm not sure how much I like/disklike it.

Ppl saying it did so well on ppl going back for repeated viewings are just bullshitting and its a total cop out. The "freaks" that went and saw it "100milliontimesomfg!!1111111" would definately be in a small minority.

Its success was definately its amazing hype leading up to its release, broad appeal, stunning SFX, positive word of mouth, and a lack of many big name movies. The latter though wouldn't have had THAT much effect on its success though. Well at least I wouldn't think.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Titanic did so well because while most blockbusters try to appeal to the action loving male demographic, James Cameron saw the untapped potential of the vag.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Guys, how many times have you been sitting through a chick-flick and thought to yourself, "I'd like to see these assholes DIE."? Titanic delivers.
The same scenes had a different effect on women, resulting in the welcome side-effect of GUARANTEED poonage. Titanic didn't get the nickname "Tit-anic" for nothing.

effzee

TAJ said:
Guys, how many times have you been sitting through a chick-flick and thought to yourself, "I'd like to see these assholes DIE."? Titanic delivers.
The same scenes had a different effect on women, resulting in the welcome side-effect of GUARANTEED poonage. Titanic didn't get the nickname "Tit-anic" for nothing.

u mean the ship or the movie?

my own personal experience....i dont know how it got so big. i remember going to see some other movie that yr, i think it was 97(?), and bought pop corn and it came in a titanic paper bag. that was the first time i heard of it. then i saw a trailer...the destruction got me hooked plus the real story/tragedy of titanic was always fasinating to me. then the movie came and i heard of the nudity from friends....i wanted to see it so bad then especially cause i had just turned 13. then my family, as in my aunts, uncles, and even my parents felt like seeing it. which to most wouldnt seem weird cept they dont watch american movies and most of them dont even know english that well. so we all went to see it together. it was just everything everyone was looking for it. romance for the women. destruction chaos for the guys. special affects. leo. the history of it. kate's tits. leo.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>u mean the ship or the movie?<<<

The movie, dude. The people saying that it was a good date movie are just politely understating things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom