• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much more powerful is the PSP to the DS?

thom

If this topic has been beat to death feel free to lock it up.

I just bought a house so my disposable income for gaming has been tightened somewhat and I'm still on the fence whether I want a DS or a PSP at launch.

Sadly in this case the graphic/tech whore in me will be the deciding factor.

nitewulf

its hard to quantify. basically PSP is a miniature version of the ps2 w/ added post processing capabilities. since it has a small screen, the ps2 image quality problems will not be easily detected as well, so psp games should look very good and sharp.
DS on the other hand has about N64 quality 3D.
so in that case I guess you could say they are about a generation apart in graphics.

thom

I "heard" somewhere the PSP is launching at $189?

I'll go ahead and slap myself in the face if I'm way off.

thom said:
If this topic has been beat to death feel free to lock it up.

I just bought a house so my disposable income for gaming has been tightened somewhat and I'm still on the fence whether I want a DS or a PSP at launch.

Sadly in this case the graphic/tech whore in me will be the deciding factor.

PSP is a new sports car, and the DS is an old station wagon.

jiggle

thom said:
I "heard" somewhere the PSP is launching at $189?

I'll go ahead and slap myself in the face if I'm way off.

That's the exchange rate for the price in Japan. No US price announced.

thom

Well I'll probably cancel my preorder for the DS tonight when I pick up Halo 2.

I'll just wait it out a couple months after both systems are out to see which one I really want.

I know I'll end up getting them both in the long run though.

I consider the DS to have superior hardware.

Higher better life
dual screens
touch screen
wi fi
solid state madia
voice recognition

belgurdo

Banned
PSP is Carl Johnson with a million bucks in his pocket, wearing the latest in Didier Sachs fashion, covering a fine physique

DS is an emanciated Carl that hasn't eaten in three days and is wearing clearance items from Binco

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
the ps2 image quality problems will not be easily detected as well
The most regular PS2 image quality problems will simply not be there on PSP, as it has better mip-mapping implementation, and all games are running in progressive scan mode.

thom

Marconelly said:
The most regular PS2 image quality problems will simply not be there on PSP, as it has better mip-mapping implementation, and all games are running in progressive scan mode.

Fuck, sold.

garrickk

I like the car analogy above, except:

PSP is a sports car with a 4 gallon tank. Drive in circles around gas stations - really fast.

DS is a station wagon with a camper trailer in tow. More utility, possibly more fun depending on what you're looking for, but not as sexy or powerful.

neptunes

srburns.jpg

"EXCELLENT!"

1 down, 3 million to go!

miyuru

Personally I'd rather get a DS...I don't see anything new I can do with the PSP really. Just buy a PS2.

lexi

Banned
The amount of hate the DS receives never ceases to amaze me. I guess everybody is a graphics whore.

thom

Graphics whore? yes in this case considering the launch games for either system really don't blow any wind up my skirt.

the #1 game I want for the DS is Animal Crossing so I suppose I'll wait for that to come out before I pick up the system.

the #1 reason I want a PSP on launch is for the eye candy (unfortunately).

quisquose

The PSP is defeated before it's even launched.

-misrepresentation of price...people excited by the prospect of getting one for $185. will then be disappointed to learn that you need to buy an extra battery, charger, and memory stick to make it be a practical usable system. TRUE PRICE > $250.

-two hour battery life...means a need to switch out a battery every two hours of playtime. and to further keep the battery life from diminishing, one needs to keep the volume and brightness at 50%

- $50. games

PSPwned itself

No more of these stupid topics please!

Che

Banned
quisquose said:

-misrepresentation of price...people excited by the prospect of getting one for $185. will then be disappointed to learn that you need to buy an extra battery, charger, and memory stick to make it be a practical usable system. TRUE PRICE > $250.

-two hour battery life...means a need to switch out a battery every two hours of playtime. and to further keep the battery life from diminishing, one needs to keep the volume and brightness at 50%

- $50. games

PSPwned itself

No more of these stupid topics please!

-It's like saying PS2 doesn't cost 150$ cause it needs a Memory card.

-The battery life is not two hours... I hope.

-not a big difference there

quisquose said:
Let's see here

Not quite, true to certain extent, and that's with th memory stick prices. You'd honestly be rather silly to not get the bundle unless you plan on getting them all seperately. None of the other items you listed are needed to actually fully enjoy gaming... and it comes with a charger. A better argument would be to compare it to what the DS includes at its price (touch keybpard, mic, game saving, etc).

Eh, 4 to 6 hours on certain settings is the case. We really can't sa how this is going to effect the system's performance except on history. I have a problem with people saying that since the announced battery life is fine for them, it's fine for everyone. Peopl emay have moved on, they may have not. We've yet to see a low battery life handheld enter the market for quite a long time.

- $50. games
Not confirmed, so you really can't claim that. I thought PSP titles were around $40 in Japan, actually.

I agree, these topics are getting tiresome, sometimes they seem to just be created just out of spite (MAF, I'm talking about you again...) and it is getting old. But one can at least come up with some decent arguments, or correct ones anyways, to counter these pokes and prods.

Anywho, they're both nice handhelds, it is a shame a handheld war has to exist at all.

Top Bottom