• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How Target knew a teen girl was pregnant before her father did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amazing, creepy, and ingenious all at once. Troubling, too, but inevitable as well. Nonetheless, read on.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kashmir...-pregnant-before-her-father-did/#1142ee034c62

Every time you go shopping, you share intimate details about your consumption patterns with retailers. And many of those retailers are studying those details to figure out what you like, what you need, and which coupons are most likely to make you happy. Target, for example, has figured out how to data-mine its way into your womb, to figure out whether you have a baby on the way long before you need to start buying diapers.

Target assigns every customer a Guest ID number, tied to their credit card, name, or email address that becomes a bucket that stores a history of everything they’ve bought and any demographic information Target has collected from them or bought from other sources. Using that, Pole looked at historical buying data for all the ladies who had signed up for Target baby registries in the past. From the NYT:

“[Pole] ran test after test, analyzing the data, and before long some useful patterns emerged. Lotions, for example. Lots of people buy lotion, but one of Pole’s colleagues noticed that women on the baby registry were buying larger quantities of unscented lotion around the beginning of their second trimester. Another analyst noted that sometime in the first 20 weeks, pregnant women loaded up on supplements like calcium, magnesium and zinc. Many shoppers purchase soap and cotton balls, but when someone suddenly starts buying lots of scent-free soap and extra-big bags of cotton balls, in addition to hand sanitizers and washcloths, it signals they could be getting close to their delivery date.​

Or have a rather nasty infection…

“As Pole’s computers crawled through the data, he was able to identify about 25 products that, when analyzed together, allowed him to assign each shopper a “pregnancy prediction” score. More important, he could also estimate her due date to within a small window, so Target could send coupons timed to very specific stages of her pregnancy.

One Target employee I spoke to provided a hypothetical example. Take a fictional Target shopper named Jenny Ward, who is 23, lives in Atlanta and in March bought cocoa-butter lotion, a purse large enough to double as a diaper bag, zinc and magnesium supplements and a bright blue rug. There’s, say, an 87 percent chance that she’s pregnant and that her delivery date is sometime in late August.​

And perhaps that it’s a boy based on the color of that rug?

So Target started sending coupons for baby items to customers according to their pregnancy scores. Duhigg shares an anecdote — so good that it sounds made up — that conveys how eerily accurate the targeting is. An angry man went into a Target outside of Minneapolis, demanding to talk to a manager:

“My daughter got this in the mail!” he said. “She’s still in high school, and you’re sending her coupons for baby clothes and cribs? Are you trying to encourage her to get pregnant?”

The manager didn’t have any idea what the man was talking about. He looked at the mailer. Sure enough, it was addressed to the man’s daughter and contained advertisements for maternity clothing, nursery furniture and pictures of smiling infants. The manager apologized and then called a few days later to apologize again.

(Nice customer service, Target.)

“On the phone, though, the father was somewhat abashed. “I had a talk with my daughter,” he said. “It turns out there’s been some activities in my house I haven’t been completely aware of. She’s due in August. I owe you an apology.”

This kind of stuff is fascinating, to me. Maybe I'm the wrong line of work, as being an analyst of this kind of stuff sounds like an amazing career to me.

Charlatan

Neo Member
That's a pretty old story that I'm pretty sure has been discussed here in a prior thread.

I can only imagine the even greater web of social media connections that exist today though. With all the posting/liking/following that goes on today, marketing like this is probably getting really easy for companies to execute.

Jacobi

Banned
smallteen.jpg

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I swear this is old news or has happened before.

There was already a thread about it, yeah.

In any case, always pay in cash? They can't get your e-mail, name, or address off that.

Xe4

Banned
Yeah, old but intresting very few can get away from statistics, which is what target is using. A statistical algorithm that recommends products based on what other people have bought. In this case, target had no clue the girl was pregnant, but it was suggested items that other pregnant women had bought.

Fewr

It's old, and from what I remember (didn't read OP, sorry) is that the report doesn't tell how many "failed" promotions were sent.

Joni

It's old, and from what I remember (didn't read OP, sorry) is that the report doesn't tell how many "failed" promotions were sent.
It is actually important to do some failed ones. That way people don't notice that the succesfull ones are aimed at them.

M52B28

Banned
I wonder if Walmart can find out how much a person weighs by what foods they eat and types of clothes they buy.

Acorn

I generally pay with cash everywhere. Not really because of privacy, I just prefer money in my hands and can manage better that way.

Yeah, definitely an older story. I had one professor or another tell this story every year when I took any class related to stats, data, or modeling.

Kinokou

What, you don't offer to let yourself be sent baby starter pack if it was old news OP? Or to be spanked, or knocked up or whatever?

What a lost opportunity...

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
I think Fred Meyer must share my data because whenever I'm on mobile GAF when it is my fiance's time of the month, it shows ads for the exact brand of tampons I buy her.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
When I saw the thread title, I thought "who would post a 4 year old article as news?" Then I saw that it was a thread started by our resident thread spammer :)

Anyway, all of your information and secrets are out there. IT'S TOO LATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom