• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Aeana

The speakers are on the front? It shouldn't be that this is a selling point for me, but it is since every phone or tablet I've ever owned has had the speakers on the back or on the bottom, and I've never really understood why. It would be nice to actually have the sound directed at me.

The speakers are on the front? It shouldn't be that this is a selling point for me, but it is since every phone or tablet I've ever owned has had the speakers on the back or on the bottom, and I've never really understood why. It would be nice to actually have the sound directed at me.

Yep, everyone who's had hands-on time with it have been blown away by the sound quality of the speakers. At 93dB too.

nib95

Banned
Holy crap at the OP....don't think I've ever seen such an OP for a product lol. Hmmm....

On a side note, something must be up with that camera comparison. Source link? S3 does not take low light shots that soft, add to that there's a low light mode (not night mode) which is quick, and brightens photo's considerably. No point comparing the camera in dark situations without using the S3's Low Light mode.

Also, it'd be nice to see the original sized photo's. Other comparisons around the web mention the One's camera to be a little soft and lacking in details compared to the rest.

Crazyorloco

"The One usually produces better shots at night than the Nokia Lumia 920, and comes in second only to the current imaging king, the Nokia 808 PureView."

I might get this over the Galaxy S4, I prefer the nicer camera*. Ultrapixels <3

*it looks like it's gonna be a nicer camera.

Holy crap at the OP....don't think I've ever seen such an OP for a product lol. Hmmm....

On a side note, something must be up with that camera comparison. Source link? S3 does not take low light shots that soft, add to that there's a low light mode (not night mode) which is quick, and brightens photo's considerably. No point comparing the camera in dark situations without using the S3's Low Light mode.

Also, it'd be nice to see the original sized photo's. Other comparisons around the web mention the One's camera to be a little soft and lacking in details compared to the rest.
most reviews take low light photos in default modes. something about "thats what real people do!" or something...

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/htc-one-1131862/review/7#articleContent

Also check out Technobuffalo's camera comparison:

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/03/12/htc-one-vs-latest-smartphones-camera-comparison/

I'd say it does an excellent job at quality.

nib95

Banned
On a side note, is there an option to have not so bright low light photo's? I mean, what if you want a more accurate account of the scene, or something more moody and atmospheric, is there an option to turn down the high light sensitivity (ISO or Aperture?) with the One?

What I find is that phone's like the iPhone 5 and S3 (low light mode) already often capture photo's brighter than what the eye actually see's in many scenario's, and I'm guessing this is further the case with the One. Whilst this is advantageous in some situations, it may not always be ideal.

So what are the pros and cons compared to the Xperia ZL?
One probably has the better screen quality. Camera is better in low light. Build quality is better. Sound is better.

That's what the One has over the ZL. The ZL has a bigger 1080p screen on a smaller phone, dedicated camera button, better placement of power button (stupid position for the htc one), also better android skin. Likely better dev support.

That's a fair "at firest glance" comparison I'd say.

Cipherr

nib95

Banned

Not the best comparison in the world, and I'm also certain they're not using the S3's Low Light mode (making the comparison rather redundant).

I'll wait for GSM Arena's phone comparison tool to have the One added.

Husker86

Just fucking stupid of HTC to not have this phone in Verizon, phone will be dead in one year

It's Verizon's fault. They're so damn absorbed with themselves that they think they need their own design/model for flagships. At least they didn't have the balls to tell Samsung that with the S3 and soon S4 (though they did somehow get that hideous Verizon logo on the Note 2 home button).

Macmanus

My contract is up in April. Could I waltz into a provider, get my name on a list, and sign a pre-emptive contract for one of these? I'm on tmobile but would rather feed myself to fire ants that continue with them. Verizon is out so what is the next best carrier?

As far as I know S-OFF only stops you from messing with the radio. You don't need to be S-OFF to run custom ROMs. And yeah, having a one-click solution would be great but the last HTC phone I rooted took an hour and a half including installing the new ROM.

Back to the phone though.

I want it. Bad. It looks so fucking sweet.

You need to be S-OFF to flash custom kernels through recovery, too. Otherwise, you have to boot into Fastboot, flash the boot.img, then install the rom through recovery. It creates unnecessary steps.

Zozz

Banned
I got the white HTC EVO-LTE a few months, ago. I love the design on it and the ONE, is my cup of tea for sure. I don't know how I'm going to do it but I want it!!!!

So the phone looks amazing. But how is the camera (IM concerned about it only having 4 MP) and how is the battery life? I often hear how high resolutions and a high PPI will drain a battery awfully fast

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Not gonna lie, this phone looks sexy. And that camera, holy shit.

But, being a current Evo 3D owner, I'm kind of soured on HTC because they do dick all to support their phones, and Sense is kind of bloated and gets in the way of Android.

Also, have they removed the notification LED time limit on their phones yet? Kind of pointless to have a notification LED if it stops blinking after 10 mins.

SpecX

This phone looks awesome. Verizon needs to quit and start allowing these phones on their network without adding all their bs to it. I only stick with them because of unlimited, but it's starting to get old and I'm hating missing out on awesome phones because of their shit or stupid branding on the phones that make them look worse than other carrier versions.

But, being a current Evo 3D owner, I'm kind of soured on HTC because they do dick all to support their phones, and Sense is kind of bloated and gets in the way of Android.

Also, have they removed the notification LED time limit on their phones yet? Kind of pointless to have a notification LED if it stops blinking after 10 mins.

I expect better support in this HTC as they are only concentrating on one phone at a time now.

As far as Sense goes, just about every review out there says that it no longer slows the phone down and they've cut down all the crap and made it streamlined. Dunno about the LED though.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Same here. What's the smart choice Pyro? LG Optimus G running S800, or wait until the flagships for 2014?

No need to jump on anything. I have a One X(L) and I'm running the latest CM 10.1 nightly. No reason you can't wait till 2014 as my One X(L) does everything fine currently, has LTE, and since I installed CM I'm not held back by my firmware.

The exact same could be said of everyone with a GS3 as well IMO.

cdkee

Banned
Dammit, I wish this was coming to Verizon.

The woes of having grandfathered unlimited LTE.

ADIUHSUIGIF:GIF:ARRRRGGGGGGGGGG

liger05

HTC are lame with there support. My bro has the One X and it took forever for him to get JB. His given up on getting 5.0 when they hits. I dont know why they do it. Samsung support old phones for ages.

____

Had the EVO, EVO 3D, and now have the EVO 4G LTE and while this phone looks to be amazing as well, I refuse to get caught up in the hype this time. I just can't do it. The support HTC gives is shitty and the devices tend not to hold up well.

Such a shame because I want this phone so bad :(

GQman2121

Banned
This phone looks awesome. Verizon needs to quit and start allowing these phones on their network without adding all their bs to it. I only stick with them because of unlimited, but it's starting to get old and I'm hating missing out on awesome phones because of their shit or stupid branding on the phones that make them look worse than other carrier versions.

I'm in the same boat. I'm grandfathered in with an unlimited plan, but between the ZL and now this phone, which I assumed was a given on Verizon considering it's as if they're in bed with HTC, I'm seriously prepared to walk to Sprint or TM if I can get a new phone on their networks with a comparable monthly bill.

So what is Verizon going to carry new this summer? The G4 and what?

No need to jump on anything. I have a One X(L) and I'm running the latest CM 10.1 nightly. No reason you can't wait till 2014 as my One X(L) does everything fine currently, has LTE, and since I installed CM I'm not held back by my firmware.

The exact same could be said of everyone with a GS3 as well IMO.

That's what I figured. Bigger battery would be nice along with klp.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Have to admit, now that I've had a look at some full res comparisons I really do not like the picture quality compared to the DNA's. The low-light looks great but there's an absurd amount of loss of detail and color vividness. I don't think it'll kill the phone for me, but since my phone is my camera I need it to be up to snuff and I don't really think Ultrapixel is going to be of much use to me.

EDIT: Though, this comparison from the OP paints a much better picture than some of the other comparisons I've seen. Confusing to say the least!

Nice, was starting to wonder if there was even going to be a post for this phone. I've been on the iphone since the 3G and 4 and am finally ready to try something different. I almost bought myself a Nexus 4 but held off because I felt the phone did not have enough storage for me.

Other than the Xperia Z (which is not available where I am anyways) no other Android phone seems to invoke that "apple" feel to me like HTC does. I've always admired their phones from a distance, I have heard countless stories of poor technical support, subpar battery, and intrusive GUI elements, and yet I still feel impressed when I see a new release.

Another concern is the updates, any idea when this phone gets 4.2?

I've heard that 4.2 has this Project Butter thing? Hopefully the phone isn't too bad without it.

Can't remember which review it was, but they were slamming the video recording abilities. So that is kind of giving me pause from really wanting it.

I think it was Engaget, and yeah, it didn't look great. It seemed to warp and wobble. The camera definitely seems like a first attempt at something new. I've looked back over the years at how often i've shot video on my iPhone and have come to realize it's not often, so i'm not too concerned about it. The impressive low light shots are good enough for me.

All in all i'm excited to finally start being able to watch Flash videos on my phone. No doubt those stereo speakers will come in handy. I'm not looking forward to giving up my 3.5 inch screen as I felt that was the perfect size to use with one hand. I'm basically giving up on the idea of using the One with one hand though it may not be as bad as i suspect (but it probably will be). I'm also going to keep in mind the idea that this phone will be more like a windows laptop to me than a true mobile phone, as the battery life no doubt will be sparse.

From what i've seen it looks like it will be coming to Canada April 4th? I wonder if I should call Telus and ask them to reserve one for me.

Top Bottom