• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
UGH i wish these phones would be out already. need a new personal phone so bad. if any of sony, htc, or samsung had their new stuff out on vzw right now i'd buy it instantly

Getting this over the S4 because it's gorgeous. The S4's gimmicky new features aren't good enough. Only thing is the battery seems a bit weak. I may hold out for a Note 3 depending on how big it gets rumored to be.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Getting this over the S4 because it's gorgeous. The S4's gimmicky new features aren't good enough. Only thing is the battery seems a bit weak. I may hold out for a Note 3 depending on how big it gets rumored to be.

I find this strange. Is the exterior design of the phone really that important? Over software and battery life?

Really?

Husker86

I find this strange. Is the exterior design of the phone really that important? Over software and battery life?

Really?

Feel in the hand is very important. I don't know which I would pick (S4/One) since I'm happy with my Nexus 4 right now, but I am very grateful HTC is actually trying with their designs.

If the Galaxy Nexus had slightly better hardware than the Nexus 4, I would pick the Nexus 4 because of the design/in hand feel.

Hopefully the One battery life is good. That is one spec that would have higher weight than design for me.

Oh, the front facing speakers on the One need to be a standard going forward. All I can say is about fucking time.

Really?

Uhhh, sort of... yeah. I don't know a ton about Android, but I think i've got a pretty good sense for the features and variances, and it seems like the software and battery is good enough to justify getting something that to me looks pretty fucking sick.

Of course I may be wrong, but I think i'm gonna give it a try.

Ashhong

That is an amazing looking phone. Something I would expect out of apple really. I've never been a fan of how Android OS looks, but Sense looks even worse than I could imagine. Ugly as sin.

Dead Man

Looks amazing, but a bit too big for me, hope it does well, Samsung needs the competition, at least in terms of visual design.

rumors are 6" and 6.3"

Really?

different people have different priorities!

Really?

Some people use their phones as status symbols. Though it's a mystery to me why you would pick this over an iPhone if your phone looking pretty and impressing your friends matters that much to you.

Was never a fan of aluminum body cases on phones. They always get so cold, and actually my HTC One V wouldn't take a photo and the error said "Cannot take photo, phone is cold" or something

edit: it was -45'C out, so I don't know what I was expecting :p

I want this phone. I'm tired of my iPhone 4s and this has been the only new phone announced that's caught my attention. And it's not available on Verizon, blargh.

I used the One X and it had one of the best screens I have ever seen. I've never been a fan of the Galaxy line or the screens.

I switched my One X for an iPhone 5 but now I want to go back to this. Is there any reason I shouldn't?

Radec

Some people use their phones as status symbols. Though it's a mystery to me why you would pick this over an iPhone if your phone looking pretty and impressing your friends matters that much to you.

An iPhone today only gets "oh an iPhone"

This on the other hand gets much more.

Ashhong

I used the One X and it had one of the best screens I have ever seen. I've never been a fan of the Galaxy line or the screens.

I switched my One X for an iPhone 5 but now I want to go back to this. Is there any reason I shouldn't?

Well why did you go to the i5 in the first place?

Fletcher

Man I wish these were the nexus phones. I don't really want a phone that isn't a Nexus phone because I want the updates, but man if this phone isn't gorgeous.

I'm undecided between the black and the silver one now. Since the black isn't glossy like I'm used to and the silver is like a natural aluminum color and I've never had that before; they both look great.

Decisions, decisions.

The only thing holding me back from going all in on the HTC One instead of the S4 is what seems like a "lack of detail" on pictures when you zoom in/crop them. That and how well the battery is going to hold up with 4G LTE.

Other than that though, I'm sold. The phone looks way too good.

popeutlal

After the Thunderbolt, I can't see myself supporting this company. It was released with a tiny battery size, and they charged $50 for the extended battery. The ICS updated took more than one year. And they still have not released the kernel source code yet so no hope for AOSP versions.

I'll stick with a phone with a replaceable battery.

After the Thunderbolt, I can't see myself supporting this company. It was released with a tiny battery size, and they charged $50 for the extended battery. The ICS updated took more than one year. And they still have not released the kernel source code yet so no hope for AOSP versions.

I'll stick with a phone with a replaceable battery.

The vast majority of reviewers have said the battery is perfectly fine. Technobuffalo got through a whole day with pretty extensive use and 35% left before going to bed.

kitch9

Banned
I'm surprised Engadget said it did better low light shots than the 920. Still not comfortable with a 4mp camera, though. The camera and the battery life are my main concerns with this phone, it looks beautiful and right up there with Nokia, apple, and Sony designs.

Another concern is the updates, any idea when this phone gets 4.2?

The first 4.2 update had battery drain issues, and 4.2.2 hasn't been around long so it could be a while.

That's one of the downsides of the Nexus, you end up being a beta tester for everyone else.

sammich

Does this thing play mkvs like the sony phone? Damnit Jim.. i thought my choice was set and now im dragged back into the middle.

Man, the phone looks so sweet but it's a huge Shame about the battery life. I bought a 3200mAh battery for my evo 3d and now my phone lasts two days without charging. Now I can leave gps on all the time, play roms, watch YouTube videos,, etc. All without having to worry about the battery life.

I really don't know if I can go back to a crappy battery once again.

Man, the phone looks so sweet but it's a huge Shame about the battery life. I bought a 3200mAh battery for my evo 3d and now my phone lasts two days without charging. Now I can leave gps on all the time, play roms, watch YouTube videos,, etc. All without having to worry about the battery life.

I really don't know if I can go back to a crappy battery once again.

TechnoBuffalo said it outlasted their iPhone 5 even, and most other reviewers said it's on par with any other phone really. But yea, don't expect a 2 day life out of it lol.

reKon

Banned
This exact phone design with a hacked HTC logo for multi-task, 2600+ mAH battery, and running stock 4.2.2 or one of these popular ROMs would be the perfect phone for me. I don't think I'd switch my phone for like 4 years.

CrankyJay

Banned
That is an amazing looking phone. Something I would expect out of apple really. I've never been a fan of how Android OS looks, but Sense looks even worse than I could imagine. Ugly as sin.

As an Apple user, I think it looks okay...how customizable is it?

Battery doesn't seem like a concern since I'm usually always near a power source.

Camera seems fine since I'd really only be using it for video and close ups...so the crappy zoom doesn't deter me.

Seems like a solid phone.

Your move, Apple.

xenist

As an Apple user, I think it looks okay...how customizable is it?

Customizing the UI of an Android phone is pretty much the easiest thing imaginable. And the extend to which it can be customized is extreme. Anything from black and white text to all kinds of graphical chrome and widgets.

CrankyJay

Banned
Customizing the UI of an Android phone is pretty much the easiest thing imaginable. And the extend to which it can be customized is extreme. Anything from black and white text to all kinds of graphical chrome and widgets.

Even with something like Sense or TouchWiz? I'm completely ignorant on this.

Does HTC's Sense have toggle controls for popular settings like Samsung's TouchWiz does? iOS has it as well when you jailbreak it's called SBSettings.

This is what I'm talking about:

whitesmoke_35627724_40_610x436.jpg

jey_16

Banned
Now I am in love with the bare aluminum one :(

I have a feeling I am going to be jumping back and forth until i actually buy it

I'm still trying to decide as well, originally I was going black, then silver and now black again. The silver model looks great but I just feel like the white bands around the sides look out of place combined with the silver volume rocker and black glass around the screen.

Ideally I would like to see both in the flesh before making my choice

Well why did you go to the i5 in the first place?

My sister wanted an HTC One X, I didn't want to buy another one of the same phone. Around the same time, I got a great deal on the iPhone 5, so I jumped on it.

Now this phone has my attention of all the new ones.

Top Bottom