• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Jay Sosa

It doesn't actually feel that large in the hand. Dat HTC magic.

yeah and it doesn't look that big in the promo pics, can't wait to try it myself, need to upgrade my shitty ass phone. Battery should be more then decent as well, judging by their latest models.

They have said this before. Don't forget this is at least the 4th phone in the HTC One line. Assume poor support until they prove otherwise.

That's last years line. Remember the S4 is the 15th or something Galaxy phone they've made, but that doesn't mean anything.

Ravager61

My phone is used heavily as an MP3 player and I'm really invested in Google Music at this point so my next phone is going to be an Android. Really leaning toward this right now but I'm waiting for reviews of the S4.

Really hard to pick now because I haven't tried either of them. It's also frustrating because I needed a new phone months ago but I might as well wait at this point.

NomarTyme

I want this phone! I have the older slower brother EVO4glte. I find myself listening to the phone w/o headphones, so louder speakers are a must for my next phone.

KoukiFC

Neo Member
...who the hell is mobilebloom?

Real source is expertreviews.co.uk. http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/smartphones/1298431/htc-one

They also got 8.5 hours of video playback.

Q8DD2bS.jpg

jey_16

Banned
So is rooting & installing custom ROMs that much harder on HTC phones compared to Samsung phones? With my s2 it was simple with one click and then just using using cwm recovery.

Cipherr

that's interesting, The Verge review said in their real world testing it was pretty bad

Verge sort of made me look elsewhere for an aggregate of battery reviews when they shit all over the DNA, while other sites got WAAAAAAAAAAY better results. I remember at one point there were like 4 different sites I visited giving battery life times that were all consistent, then the Verges review was like an hour or two less.

Humongous difference there. I wondering if there will be the same thing here. I used to be able to rely on Anand, but lately they just won't review certain devices at all, or they will barebones the battery stats for certain phones. You get a long comprehensive Anandtech battery review for the iPhone5, and an extremely limited and short battery section for the Note 2.

Later I found out the Note 2 has some of the best battery life of all the smartphones... I'm like.... Why didn't Anandtech cover that in more detail?

Verge sort of made me look elsewhere for an aggregate of battery reviews when they shit all over the DNA, while other sites got WAAAAAAAAAAY better results. I remember at one point there were like 4 different sites I visited giving battery life times that were all consistent, then the Verges review was like an hour or two less.

Humongous difference there. I wondering if there will be the same thing here. I used to be able to rely on Anand, but lately they just won't review certain devices at all, or they will barebones the battery stats for certain phones. You get a long comprehensive Anandtech battery review for the iPhone5, and an extremely limited and short battery section for the Note 2.

Later I found out the Note 2 has some of the best battery life of all the smartphones... I'm like.... Why didn't Anandtech cover that in more detail?

A lot of the reviews are all pointing out to poor battery life though. It's not just The Verge.

xenist

So is rooting & installing custom ROMs that much harder on HTC phones compared to Samsung phones? With my s2 it was simple with one click and then just using using cwm recovery.

Unlocking the bootloader and rooting is kind of a chore. Custom ROMS are cwm like every other phone I've tried.

Cipherr

A lot of the reviews are all pointing out to poor battery life though. It's not just The Verge.

I'm definitely open to it, its just that the last review of the DNA gives me pause this time. Hard to ignore that part where they said something about the DNA having horrible life at (insert activity here) because it ran 5 hours, then someone went back to the GS3 review and saw the same exact 5 hour lifespan in that review, but the GS3 got a greaaaaaaaaat battery score.

I'm hoping that was a one off. HTC having battery issues wouldn't be a shocker, but the Verge really seemed off on that particular review.

I find it strange many are harping on the battery. The S4's battery is 2600mAh. Is the HTC One's 2300mAh really that much worse?

Sense is a known battery hog, while Samsung usually bring a lot of dynamic power scaling features to their Android phones to eke out more battery life. Samsung usually have best in class battery per mAh and HTC are probably the worst. It's why people think GS4 will have a monster battery life, larger battery as well as Samsung's traditionally strong customisation to get more out of it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I'm definitely open to it, its just that the last review of the DNA gives me pause this time. Hard to ignore that part where they said something about the DNA having horrible life at (insert activity here) because it ran 5 hours, then someone went back to the GS3 review and saw the same exact 5 hour lifespan in that review, but the GS3 got a greaaaaaaaaat battery score.

I'm hoping that was a one off. HTC having battery issues wouldn't be a shocker, but the Verge really seemed off on that particular review.

I've in general noticed this about battery scores.

Having a mediocre battery wouldn't be surprising, but I find a lot of battery talk to be all over the place from most people honestly.

This was in the Tech Radar review:

However, 75 minutes later, with three minutes of Riptide GP played, 30 mins of Google Music streamed, and 45 minutes of Spiderman watched (with some RSS feeds checked and a to-do list created) the battery had dropped down to 68%, which was slightly gutting. We did have to fire the brightness of the phone right up during the movie watching, thanks to the aforementioned darkness, but it was still a huge amount to lose.
Similarly, using the camera and creating Zoe highlight reels decimates the battery. From 70% left, we spent 90 minutes intermittently taking photos and a couple of Zoes to test the camera - with no actual video shot. However, the constant use saw that battery level drop to 21% in the short time we used it, and the phone became very hot (which we were thankful for, as it was FREEZING outside).

I came into this thread with really not knowing much about the phone other than seeing people referencing it in the S4 thread, so I started reading some reviews on it and the battery complaint seems to be not limited to The Verge. I'm just someone who's looking at what his options are for his possible first Android phone so I've got no real point of reference to other Android phones.

Wads

Banned
Don't care how good looking the phone is, with a weak battery what's the point?

I agree - until HTC learns how to manage battery life better I won't even consider them again. I have to have 2 batteries to make it through the day on my current HTC phone.

I'm assuming this is still a non-removable battery and the lack of the SD totally kills any remaining interest I might have had.

I agree - until HTC learns how to manage battery life better I won't even consider them again. I have to have 2 batteries to make it through the day on my current HTC phone.

I'm assuming this is still a non-removable battery and the lack of the SD totally kills any remaining interest I might have had.

To be fair at least the minimum is a hefty 32Gb storage capacity.

i really have to applaud them for that move. if you're gonna have no other options, start at a decent size.

Yes, at first I was wary of no SD or removable battery, but now when I look back, I've only had smartphones with removable batteries and micro-SD slots, but never used a micro-SD or changed out the battery before so it's a non-issue for me.

Looks like The Verge is reporting that the
HTC CEO Peter Chou could step down if the One fails to become a hit with consumers. Chou reportedly pledged to resign his post during a meeting with other senior executives at the company.

Could this maybe be a good thing? It seems like this guy doesn't really know how to sell their phones.

Cipherr

Looks like The Verge is reporting that the

Could this maybe be a good thing? It seems like this guy doesn't really know how to sell their phones.

It most certainly couldn't be a bad thing. These guys are always managing to be just a few ants short of a picnic. The last couple of years they have gotten like 6 out of 10 things right, but the 4 they miss are so crucial that they just sink and sink and sink.

Meanwhile Sony is kicking ass and looking like Samsung back in the Galaxy S1 era just before they hit their stride and rocketed into the atmosphere. HTC needs new blood, a full blown transfusion even.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They said on the Vergecast today that one of the reasons for the delay is because they had to retool BoomSound because it was actually damaging human ears.

VoxPop

They said on the Vergecast today that one of the reasons for the delay is because they had to retool BoomSound because it was actually damaging human ears.

GSMArena is saying the delay is due to the camera and unibody components.

Top Bottom