• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

No, you can request the Desktop site individually which is a pain in the ass, and sometimes doesn't work.

Stock browser can have permanent Desktop user agent and with flash can just be like browsing on your PC.

No you don't have to request it individually. It stays ticked. There are some sites where it may not work, but most are fine. Flash is an issue yes, but it's not the main one with Chrome for Android. It's frame rate and responsiveness that's the real issue.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Figured out my mail issue was that sync was not enabled. I had to enable sync in the settings, disable it for apps I didn't want using it, but make sure it was enabled for HTC's Mail app.

Problem solved, it is now downloading all emails automatically.

Aren't you making a case for software bloat? Isn't that what all the big networks do? Verizon, Sprint, AT&T. I mean you can disable most of their shit or hide it using an alternate launcher. Some people might find them useful though, so are you actually arguing for them to continue pre-loading their apps? It's about striking a balance between simplicity and ease of use and without overdoing it. Optional or otherwise. Where you and I disagree is in the level of that balance.

screw software bloat, lets talk about hardware bloat... a bigger phone with a smaller screen just for... BOOMSOUND? who doesn't use headphones with their mobile handset? jerks, that's who!

screw software bloat, lets talk about hardware bloat... a bigger phone with a smaller screen just for... BOOMSOUND? who doesn't use headphones with their mobile handset? jerks, that's who!

Erm lots of folks. Skype, For YouTube stuff when you're sharing with friends. Playing games. Or just using speakerphone in general. BOOMSOUND is a godawful name though.

Yeah boomsound is the worst name anyone could think of, but the speakers are NOTICEABLY BETTER than anything yet. Like way batter. But with that said, would I prefer a smaller phone over the sound....depends how much smaller but MAYBE.

FinKL

Setup my gf's One this morning and while flipping through the settings, I noticed a dead pixel. I'll need to take a look at it again, because the pixels are so tiny, you can barely notice it on anything but a white screen.

Or people who need to hear whats going on around them. I need to be able to hear whats going on in my work environment, and headphones drown out to much, even the cheap ones.

Since you guys brought it up, I think the fact that loud speakers is even a selling point is comical. A lot of you guys are going crazy over it but I just don't get it.

The only time I'm listening to music not via Bluetooth is in my office at work, and then I just plug it into a little $20 speakers that I'm sure shits on the HTC One's Sound.

Since you guys brought it up, I think the fact that loud speakers is even a selling point is comical. A lot of you guys are going crazy over it but I just don't get it.

The only time I'm listening to music not via Bluetooth is in my office at work, and then I just plug it into a little $20 speakers that I'm sure shits on the HTC One's Sound.

The way you use your phone is not the way everyone else uses their phone.

it's not just "loud" though that is one thing, it's also clear/crisp. But yeah most people probably use headphones but it can be nice if you're not. I was lying down in bed listening to a podcast on it while playing 3DS and it was great for that. Wanted to hear my game too so no earphones.

BFIB

Just wait until Apple puts iSound on their iPhone.

It'll be highly regarded.

Loud? You really are clutching at straws now to justify your GS4 purchase you're going to do lol. You may just want to stay in that thread if you're going to come in here spouting off nonsense.

reKon

Banned
Loud? You really are clutching at straws now to justify your GS4 purchase you're going to do lol. You may just want to stay in that thread if you're going to come in here spouting off nonsense.

I don't he is trying to justify his purchase. He just doesn't use his phone in this kind of way which is understandable because rarely anyway does.... until now. Thank you HTC

Erm lots of folks. Skype, For YouTube stuff when you're sharing with friends. Playing games. Or just using speakerphone in general. BOOMSOUND is a godawful name though.

Or people who need to hear whats going on around them. I need to be able to hear whats going on in my work environment, and headphones drown out to much, even the cheap ones.

uhm... damn, your sarcasm meters need a tune up...

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
So is there a docking station announced for this phone? One that's similar to the Galaxy Note 2, or the Razr Maxx, that has USB and HDMI ports?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Setup my gf's One this morning and while flipping through the settings, I noticed a dead pixel. I'll need to take a look at it again, because the pixels are so tiny, you can barely notice it on anything but a white screen.

I had one too, but it fixed itself now. It was on the very right edge of the screen, somewhere towards the middle.

International HTC One's are recieving an update now with the following changes (mostly camera related):

Changelog:

Improvement to sound capture with Zoe
Noise reduction in slow motion movie capture
Improved color reproduction and dynamic range (reduced over-exposure in non-HDR images) in certain conditions
Fix to display correct ISO in EXIF information when ISO settings are manually changed by the user
Improved system performance and stability

So I assume NA is next.

International HTC One's are recieving an update now with the following changes (mostly camera related):

Changelog:

Improved color reproduction and dynamic range (reduced over-exposure in non-HDR images) in certain conditions
Fix to display correct ISO in EXIF information when ISO settings are manually changed by the user

So I assume NA is next.

Verizon gonna wait until that firmware is factory issued to release their variant.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

It's not just loud, the speakers are plainly better than anything ever put in a phone. I'm willing to bet they're better than your shitty $20 speakers, they're certainly better than my shitty $20 speakers.

And, IMO, the speakers are a much better selling point than the million software features Samsung put in the GS4 that no one will ever use past the first week.

It's pretty funny to see GS4 backers grasping at straws like this here.

zewone

Changelog:

So I assume NA is next.

I've already got this update thanks to being rooted and using an international custom ROM. :cool:

I haven't really used too much of the camera so I haven't really noticed anything, but it's nice to see HTC with quick updates.

Trouble

Banned
Regarding the Amazon App Store being broken on the HTC One:

Hello XXXXXX,

I am writing this email to follow up on our recent chat conversation about appstore issue on HTC one.

We have got an update from Technical team that this is a known issue and they are going to fix it in the next version.

Thank you for contacting Amazon. We look forward to see you again.

Have a Great Day!

Best Regards,

XXXXXXX

Amazon.com
Your feedback is helping us build Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company.
http://www.amazon.com/your-account

It's pretty funny to see GS4 backers grasping at straws like this here.

Yup, which is truely comical.

It's like they believe we cant see thru their bias with there rationalization.

They made up their mind to get the S4 so they nitpick every lil flaw of the One, then magnify how great and usefull all the feature of the S4.

reKon

Banned

They made up their mind to get the S4 so they nitpick every lil flaw of the One, then magnify how great and usefull all the feature of the S4.

who's they? You guys are acting like there's a Samsung fanboy army here when there really isn't on GAF. If you think this bad, then stay away from the comments sections of any of those reviews.

Yeah man, take a chill pill.

If you look back I've been posting in both threads since their announcements unsure about what device I would be getting. I finally decided on the S4 but I dont need to justify it by shitting on the One.

I'm merely pointing out features that anyone who is on the fence needs to know. And there are many that lurk and have posted on thread.

If you look back I've been posting in both threads since their announcements unsure about what device I would be getting. I finally decided on the S4 but I dont need to justify it by shitting on the One.

I'm merely pointing out features that anyone who is on the fence needs to know. And there are many that lurk and have posted on thread.
well it doesn't help when you don't understand the feature mr. loud sound.

who's they? You guys are acting like theirs a Samsung fanboy army here when there really isn't on GAF. If you think this bad, then stay away from the comments sections of any of those reviews.

Most people here knows who..

C'Mon you just said that load speakers are not important and its comical that people are making a big deal about it....

Its one of the Ones best feature!

Most people here knows who..

C'Mon you just said that load speakers are not important and its comical that people are making a big deal about it....

Its one of the Ones best feature!

"A lot of you guys are going crazy over it but I just don't get it. "

You guys love it, and the reviewers love it as well. I'm not knocking it. I just think its funny (comical) since I couldn't care less.

Batman

Banned
I am down to choosing either the S4 or this one, is the S4 camera that much better than the One's? Camera quality matters for me.

You guys love it, and the reviewers love it as well. I'm not knocking it. I just think its funny (comical) since I couldn't care less.

I think that part of the appeal is that all phones have a loudspeaker. And most phone loudspeakers are pretty rubbish and generally not in stereo. And we've kind of got used to that. Whilst we all hate shit low res displays we've kind of given shitty tinny phone sound a pass partially due to the fact that we assume that small things aren't capable of powerful, good quality sound.

So when a phone comes out with a loud, but accurate speaker in stereo it takes you by surprise. We've got so used to accepting shit speakers on phone when one this good comes along it's a bit of a shock. And it makes us re-assess whether we should ever have accepted sub standard phone speakers for this long.

I don't think on it's own "Boomsound" is reason enough to buy the phone. But as part of an overall package with potentially the best build quality and best screen of any phone released to date it creates an impression that you are dealing with a really, really impressive level of hardware that raises the bar for what OEM's are capable of, in a way that probably hasn't been the case since the release of the iPhone 4.

I am down to choosing either the S4 or this one, is the S4 camera that much better than the One's? Camera quality matters for me.

S4 has the better camera in good light, HTC One spanks it in low light. Depends what you plan to do with photos. If they are mostly for social networks, viewing photos on the phone etc The One is fine. If you plan on really blowing up the pictures and printing them out then the higher resolution of the S4 will always win.

D23

htc one is good for taking photos for facebook,instagram, etc and has a nice low light
gs4 has more mp so it shows more detail if you are trying to enlarge it

comparison pic

zewone

Yes, comical. As comical as someone who wants to fumble around with scrolling webpages with their eyes instead of a flick of their thumb.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

Does anyone in an HTC One thread care that you couldn't care less? I mean it's borderline trolling at this point, especially since a lot of people here love the speakers on the One.

Trouble

Banned
I'm not sure what it is, but the mail client used for Exchange is sooo much better than the one that comes with stock 4.x.

Two things that I have been clamoring for that are in it:
1. Unread message view
2. Swipe left/right to navigate between messages like the Gmail app.

first smart phone? That must be insane lol.

No kidding, it's like having a Lambo for a first ever car.

first smart phone? That must be insane lol.

I'm not sure what it is, but the mail client used for Exchange is sooo much better than the one that comes with stock 4.x.

Two things that I have been clamoring for that are in it:
1. Unread message view
2. Swipe left/right to navigate between messages like the Gmail app.

No kidding, it's like having a Lambo for a first ever car.

I have seen the light. How the hell did I navigate modern life without one for so long? Lol.

Top Bottom