• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

KoukiFC

Neo Member
"A lot of you guys are going crazy over it but I just don't get it. "

You guys love it, and the reviewers love it as well. I'm not knocking it. I just think its funny (comical) since I couldn't care less.

A nice speaker improves the user experience in many areas. Playing games, listening to music, speakerphone calls, watching videos, GPS turn by turn & much more are all enhanced by the BoomSound.

damn now thts an upgrade, what was your previous phone?

Hopefully y'all ain't drinking any beverages....

A Samsung T509.

135013-samsung-sgh-t509.jpg

Runus

I hope this isn't hyperbole. Are you sure it's much better? Also how do they compare in volume level?

I never thought the touchpad had that great of sound. It's not terrible, but mine never sounded great. Based on the quality issues I have had with it though it's possible they just don't work quite right. I'm no audiophile though. I think part of the reason is the speakers are on the side of the touchpad and not on the screen side.

They both get plenty loud though. I haven't even tried to turn the One all the way up yet. Just haven't had the need.

I've tried turning the One on full blast, shit is loud as FUCK but maintains clarity. But yeah it's probably the best sound I've heard from a mobile device's speakers. I've only heard the touchpad sound once in passing though.

BFIB

I've tried turning the One on full blast, shit is loud as FUCK but maintains clarity. But yeah it's probably the best sound I've heard from a mobile device's speakers. I've only heard the touchpad sound once in passing though.

Any crackling or pops when the volume is all the way up?

It's not that bad. I've seen tons of much much better shots on XDA and across the nets.

Also those who know settings can get even better shots if they were so inclined, like turning down exposure when it's too bright, turning up contrast and lowering sharpness by one. Or just use the auto enhance which generally does a good job. Though the example above is just an example of bad pic taking.

It's not that bad. I've seen tons of much much better shots on XDA and across the nets.

Also those who know settings can get even better shots if they were so inclined, like turning down exposure when it's too bright, turning up contrast and lowering sharpness by one. Or just use the auto enhance which generally does a good job. Though the example above is just an example of bad pic taking.

I'm not sure I get why its ok to chalk it up to a bad shot. If you stop, to take a picture of that, I would expect the results to be just fine. There's nothing moving; it's static. Having a handy camera on you to get the shot with automatic settings one would hope you wouldn't have to fiddle with much to get a decent shot but have options to change them. Otherwise if you have to sit and fiddle, you might miss the moment.

I'm not sure I get why its ok to chalk it up to a bad shot. If you stop, to take a picture of that, I would expect the results to be just fine. There's nothing moving; it's static. Having a handy camera on you to get the shot with automatic settings one would hope you wouldn't have to fiddle with much to get a decent shot but have options to change them. Otherwise if you have to sit and fiddle, you might miss the moment.

Haven't you bought the phone already? Rather than worrying about random internet peoples photos why don't you just get out there, take some for yourself and find out? In addition there's a euro roll out with a bunch of fixes for the camera which will come to NA pretty soon.

http://phandroid.com/2013/04/24/htc-one-international-camera-software-update/

no I'm saying it's a bad shot because it looks like the focus is off or SOMETHING. It is definitely not normal to have that much noise covering one whole side of the photo lol. Something is definitely off with it. I haven't reproduced anything similar.

Speaking of the camera. Android pit just did an article on the camera changes after the new update and it's a significant improvement. I'm on my phone so I can't post the pic, but someone should. It's easily noticeable.

Speaking of the camera. Android pit just did an article on the camera changes after the new update and it's a significant improvement. I'm on my phone so I can't post the pic, but someone should. It's easily noticeable.
it looks like they took the better tweaks people came up with and baked in as the default. Contrast up, fixed sharpness and all that. Even better.

Haven't you bought the phone already? Rather than worrying about random internet peoples photos why don't you just get out there, take some for yourself and find out? In addition there's a euro roll out with a bunch of fixes for the camera which will come to NA pretty soon.

http://phandroid.com/2013/04/24/htc-one-international-camera-software-update/

Isn't that update already on the US Dev Phone? The software version number is higher on the US Dev Phone.

Saw my first one In the wild during class. Asked to hold it and geeked out with the owner. I will never own this phone, but I fucking love new awesome gadgets.

RoKKeR

I never really clued into how big of a deal the camera on these phones is. As a photographer I suppose it's because any photos I take with my phone are for casual purposes only, and I use a DSLR whenever I'm actually shooting.

But now that these phones are getting so much better camera tech, I can see why people are scrutinizing them to no end as camera nuts would with DLSR's.

I never really clued into how big of a deal the camera on these phones is. As a photographer I suppose it's because any photos I take with my phone are for casual purposes only, and I use a DSLR whenever I'm actually shooting.

But now that these phones are getting so much better camera tech, I can see why people are scrutinizing them to no end as camera nuts would with DLSR's.

Well I carry my DSLR with me when I know I'm going to something that I know I'll be taking pictures at. Things such as birthday parties, visiting some place, family gatherings, kid events, hockey games, etc. However, since I have a two year old girl, knowing when you'll need the DSLR and carrying it all the time aren't feasible. I still want quality shots for those moments when I don't happen to be carrying one around. Like if today when I pick her up from daycare, she does something new and super cute, I'd like a picture of it. I can't predict having to need a DSLR for this afternoon.

I don't think they are as good as the top end point and shoot like the sony rx100.

even the king of smartphone camera tech, the pureview 808 ain't no match for the rx100.

What the smartphone camera are going for is the connectivity and editing on the fly.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
I heard and read comparisons between this and the s4 camera. 4 vs 13 megapixels or somewhere close. Htc responded that this allows for more light to enter and, in turn, better low light pictures.

Are they blowing smoke or is this a "true but here's something we do better" company line.
It is true that the HTC one works a lot better in low light the sacrifice is of course the resolution in.

jey_16

Banned
Question for gaf, just got my htc one and I'm wondering how to customize blink feed so it pulls from different sources? I can get it to pull from only AFP for example but I would like it it show different sources like The Verge, ESPN etc at the same time. I though selecting highlights would do this but it just brings up those blue set up tiles, am I missing something simple?

zewone

Question for gaf, just got my htc one and I'm wondering how to customize blink feed so it pulls from different sources? I can get it to pull from only AFP for example but I would like it it show different sources like The Verge, ESPN etc at the same time. I though selecting highlights would do this but it just brings up those blue set up tiles, am I missing something simple?
Pull the top tile just under the clock and you should see the 3 dot menu. Click that and choose Topic and services. You can then customize your feed.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Thought I'd through this out there again. I've done a search but haven't found anything thus far...

So is there a docking station announced for this phone? One that's similar to the Galaxy Note 2, or the Razr Maxx, that has USB and HDMI ports?

jey_16

Banned
Pull the top tile just under the clock and you should see the 3 dot menu. Click that and choose Topic and services. You can then customize your feed.

Thanks, already had those selected. Problem was that highlights wasn't refreshing, all fixed after restarting my phone

RoKKeR

Is there group texting functionally for this phone similar to that of iMessage group messaging? I think that's going to be my most missed feature from my iPhone 5, Apple really nailed the functionality of iMessage.

Pkaz01

I upgraded from a galaxy s2 to a htc one now I get a text about upgrading to a LTE data plan because I received a new sim card and it might not work properly. Does anyone know if theres a fee to upgrade or is a transition that you need to call for them to do?

Talon

I upgraded from a galaxy s2 to a htc one now I get a text about upgrading to a LTE data plan because I received a new sim card and it might not work properly. Does anyone know if theres a fee to upgrade or is a transition that you need to call for them to do?
You'll need to call if you're on AT&T. There's no charge necessarily.

You need to change plans to get LTE? Damn.

Top Bottom