• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

RoKKeR

Just got 4.4 - no transparent dock, are you serious HTC?

Argh, that bothers me extremely.

Anyways, everything else seems pretty solid. New Blinkfeed seems much more user friendly, and the Gallery/Music apps are now much snappier and more appealing to use.

Good stuff. Still enjoying this phone but I'm very interested to see how the flagship race plays out this year... especially with a bigger iPhone looming.

Just got the update. Gallery is snappy, as noted above. What other updates should I be looking around for? Solid status bar makes me sad. Still using Nova Launcher. Should I try the stock launcher?

RoKKeR

Just got the update. Gallery is snappy, as noted above. What other updates should I be looking around for? Solid status bar makes me sad. Still using Nova Launcher. Should I try the stock launcher?

Music app now has a similar design to the Gallery and it's much nicer/snappier. Blinkfeed is also a lot better now, though I see that you're using Nova so you wouldn't notice. Do Not Disturb is new I think as well.

I was using Nova until just a few days ago actually and then took it off just to see how stock held up. It was pretty decent but the update has definitely made things a lot snappier/nicer, and Blinkfeed integration is a lot better now, I'm using it quite a bit.

Shame about the solid app dock, really wish that had gone transparent.

Oh here's a great feature - Android File Transfer no longer recognizes my phone. Uhhhh

Edit: On the bright side, HTC Sync Manager has improved massively since the last time I used it, file management seems to actually work this time around. Complaint retracted I suppose.

Edit2: And the lock screen music player now has artwork. Woo!
KQ9.png

Browser seems snappier as well but maybe that's placebo haha.

RoKKeR

Man that notification bar is full. Why display the clock twice on the lock screen?

That it is, haha. Usually isn't quite that bad, thankfully. And I'm not sure, I've always liked the stock lock screen and that big clock is easy to see when just quickly checking the time. Usually it's not that cluttered but when you have music playing, alarms set, power saver, etc. it can get quite cluttered.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
since there is no thread about the HTC M8/ HTC one v2 ill just post this here. apparently this leaked a few days ago and was confirmed that it is the real deal by an insider

htc8.jpg

jesus christ that bezel

Dayum.

After seeing how awful the new Galaxy S5 looks, there's no doubt that when I do update my phone, it's going to be this.

Edwardo

I can't figure out why my One will automatically turn on speakerphone whenever I answer a call. I tried messing around with some settings, but I haven't had any luck. It just started randomly doing this.

BFIB

I can't figure out why my One will automatically turn on speakerphone whenever I answer a call. I tried messing around with some settings, but I haven't had any luck. It just started randomly doing this.

Mine has too, thought I was going crazy for a few days. I'm on T-Mobile.

AlphaSnake

The battery on my phone has been AWFUL over the past 5 days. Something must've updated itself and is consuming a shit load of power in the background but I don't know what. I always clear unused tasks too.

RoKKeR

The battery on my phone has been AWFUL over the past 5 days. Something must've updated itself and is consuming a shit load of power in the background but I don't know what. I always clear unused tasks too.
Yep, same here. And it's charging incredibly slowly as well.

The ARHD ROM was just released with Sense 6.0.

From what I've read from news and reports, the M7 probably won't be getting this until May at the earliest (dunno which carriers) so this is pretty neat. I've got to admit, it's definitely a step up from Sense 5.5. I've always loved Blinkfeed and they've made it a LOT more customizable the way it scrolls down is different and the boxes are smaller. Only thing I preferred with 5.5 was the way the color scheme HTC went with was that nice blue and now its a light green.

oktarb

Anyone know an app that will get rid of the requirement to security keypad in each time? This is made mandatory by my companies Exchange server but the phone is my personal phone so I'd like to wave my rights around.

legend166

Sorry for the bump, but I'm trying to decide whether to get this or the S5 for my next phone. My work is paying for it so cost is not a factor. The possibly low quality phone on the M8 is turning me off though. Anyone tried both? What would you recommend?

Sorry for the bump, but I'm trying to decide whether to get this or the S5 for my next phone. My work is paying for it so cost is not a factor. The possibly low quality phone on the M8 is turning me off though. Anyone tried both? What would you recommend?

Forget about the M8.

Wait for this http://www.cnet.com/pictures/the-oneplus-one-is-a-sexy-299-flagship-android-smartphone-photos/

Better and cheaper than the M8.

(might be hard to find, so if you have to choose between those two I'll go with the M8)

bob page

AlphaSnake

My ONE died on me last week. The battery discharged, last I saw it was at 1%. It never charged up again.

I changed Wire, A/C plug, did the Power + Vol button trick... Nothing. Dead.

Sent it to HTC to get it repaired, still under warranty. Once I get it back I may sell it.. The battery life was abysmal after the 4.4 update.

rothgar

Probaly gonna get a phone next month, leaning heavily towards the M8. The only drawback is that I haven't seen an elegant wireless charging solution for this phone.

AlphaSnake

Seems like Beats audio and speakers were dropped in the HTC One M8 because Apple is about to acquire the brand for $3.2B

oktarb

I just upgraded from the HTC One (non M8) to the Galaxy S5. Figure I got 14 days to give it a shot with a nominal restocking fee.

So far the battery life is way better than the HTCO which is a big plus for me. I do miss the front mounted speakers though. I could hear phone rings and other notifications in my pocket much easier before.

The S5 is fast, great screen, great camera. It also doesn't get as hot. My HTCO would get pretty damn warm when playing a game on my commute. Warm enough that I stopped playing out of fear on more than one occasion. Someone at the store told my the metal backing doesn't dissipate heat as well at the plastic backing of the S5. Not sure if that true or the S5 just handles heat better. Thus far I haven't had the same heat build up on the S5. There's also this little flab cover where the charge is. Closing it keeps the phone water proof but no matter how you slice it, it feels flimsy and dinky.

Overall I think I'm satisfied but I do miss those speakers.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Going from an HTC One (both M7 and M8) to an S5 is a downgrade IMO.

And although my M7 doesn't get hot too often, apparently HTC has fixed that problem on the M8 completely.

so I just got an HTC One this week, finally got around to activating it and setting it up today. My last phone was an HTC Rezound, so this is quite an upgrade. I was trying to set the home screen up to just have only app icons and the time/weather like my last phone did, but I kinda like having the news feeds right there. Everything else is just one screen away anyhow.

Are there any particularly good cases for it? I have an Otterbox, but it seems like it puts a bit more pressure on the phone than I like.

AlphaSnake

Problem:

When getting a phone call, I used to be able to slide the contact's name up and it'll pick up. Now, I just have an decline and answer button, and it's supper annoying because taking my phone out of my pocket has a tendency to drop calls accidentally.

I'm running stock everything btw.

GSG Flash

Problem:

When getting a phone call, I used to be able to slide the contact's name up and it'll pick up. Now, I just have an decline and answer button, and it's supper annoying because taking my phone out of my pocket has a tendency to drop calls accidentally.

I'm running stock everything btw.

I noticed this too. Also, on the old Sense, when I got a text I was able to swipe up on the lockscreen notification and go straight to the text on the messages app. On Sense 6.0, I have no idea how to do that.

These two things are one of the very few things I liked about Sense 5.5.

Just installed whatever update the other day and now I cant access my text messages unless someone texts me and I open it from the notification bar. When I click on the messages shortcut it says "App isnt installed". When I look through my apps screen, its not even there.

GSG Flash

Just fixed a nagging issue today. After the 4.4.2 and Sense 6 update, none of my automatic updates(phone backup, G+ pics backup, and automatic app updates) were working. Turned out the fix involved going into the data usage screen, going to the mobile hotspot setting on the menu and unchecking the mobile hotspot box on all my wifi hotspots..

AlphaSnake

I noticed this too. Also, on the old Sense, when I got a text I was able to swipe up on the lockscreen notification and go straight to the text on the messages app. On Sense 6.0, I have no idea how to do that.

These two things are one of the very few things I liked about Sense 5.5.

I fixed my issue btw. It was one of my White Pages Caller ID app that was running causing this.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Anyone have a good rec for a volume booster app (pay or free)? I can't root but need to bump the max headset volume.

GSG Flash

Anyone else got the Lollipop update on their M7?

My phone is blazing fast now, everything, from Whatsapp to Maps to Swiftkey, used to be so sluggish under Kit Kat, but after Lollipop it feels like a brand new phone :D

Edwardo

Mine has been going a lot slower ever since I updated a couple weeks ago. It's sluggish when I'm trying to type or opening up apps.

I might try to delete some music off my phone and see if that helps. I'm 24/32gb so I dont rly think that's the problem

MechDX

Ok I have had the battery draining issue since the latest Android update and can not figure out why it does not last as long. I use to get 8-10 hours on the phone at work with no problems and still have at least 25% battery left. Now I can not make it 5-6 hours.

Also I have my phone connected via Bluetooth to my car. It used to alert me to text messages and read them to me. Now I get text message while paired with my car and I don't even get alerts anymore.

Any ideas?

Laekon

Ok I have had the battery draining issue since the latest Android update and can not figure out why it does not last as long. I use to get 8-10 hours on the phone at work with no problems and still have at least 25% battery left. Now I can not make it 5-6 hours.

Also I have my phone connected via Bluetooth to my car. It used to alert me to text messages and read them to me. Now I get text message while paired with my car and I don't even get alerts anymore.

Any ideas?

No idea about bluetooth but you should be able to see your power usage under settings. Google services have been killing my Nexus 5 battery life after some recent updates.

Top Bottom