• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

manfestival

For some odd reason, my phone doesn't like my home wifi anymore these past couple of days. The wifi speed is so slow and when loading a webpage, it feels like the blue loading bar is at 1/4 and sometimes pages would load after 30 seconds. This has never been a problem before as the router never had problems with my phone before and all of our other devices have shown no signs of slow wifi. It's just my HTC One recently.

I've cleaned many caches and tried reading tips, and one of them said to turn Airplane mode on and off. That works for some reason and the HTC One wifi speed would be back to blazing fast, but after awhile when I let it sit idle, it goes back to being super slow.

Troubleshooting tips?

I have had this issue too recently. I am greatly concerned now

hanzo

Banned
When is the new version coming out? Or should I get this one? Coming from a iPhone 4S. No FaceTime? How is battery life?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I have to say, while I still love the phone dearly...the camera's lack of clarity is really getting to me after all this time. I wish it took better pictures and videos.

I have to say, while I still love the phone dearly...the camera's lack of clarity is really getting to me after all this time. I wish it took better pictures and videos.
Huh, interesting, I'm getting pretty good quality in photos, at least I like to think so...

Here's one I took recently:

eOgUuyQ.jpg

My HTC One died on me on the 31st... was coming out from work, checking some emails and stuff, then the screen turned black and the buttons started flashing, after that it turned off. Not even the charging indicator turns on :( Already did all of the troubleshooting and nothing. Going back to T-Mobile to see what can they do for it.

This is my first experience with android, nothing like that ever happened to me with an iPhone, and this phone is less than 3 months old :(

reKon

Banned
My HTC One died on me on the 31st... was coming out from work, checking some emails and stuff, then the screen turned black and the buttons started flashing, after that it turned off. Not even the charging indicator turns on :( Already did all of the troubleshooting and nothing. Going back to T-Mobile to see what can they do for it.

This is my first experience with android, nothing like that ever happened to me with an iPhone, and this phone is less than 3 months old :(

Did you try holding the power button + down volume and shining a very bright light at the sensor all at the same time?

Trouble

Banned
FML. Just unlocked/rooted and installed the stock 4.4 ROM...

and now it's in an infinite boot loop.

Edit: Some forums posts are saying it's TRWP that causes this. Gonna load up clockwork and try again. *fingers crossed*

Edit2: Nope, verified the md5sum of the ROM and it does the same thing with multiple recovery images. Fuck. Attempting to get a stock ROM on it now. Might have to pull the trigger on a Nexus 5 tomorrow if I truly bricked this thing.

zewone

FML. Just unlocked/rooted and installed the stock 4.4 ROM...

and now it's in an infinite boot loop.

Edit: Some forums posts are saying it's TRWP that causes this. Gonna load up clockwork and try again. *fingers crossed*

Edit2: Nope, verified the md5sum of the ROM and it does the same thing with multiple recovery images. Fuck. Attempting to get a stock ROM on it now. Might have to pull the trigger on a Nexus 5 tomorrow if I truly bricked this thing.

You need to be S-OFF to flash 4.4 ROMs.

Did you make a backup of your previous ROM as recommended?

If so, you can just go back to recovery and flash that and be fine.

Trouble

Banned
You need to be S-OFF to flash 4.4 ROMs.

Did you make a backup of your previous ROM as recommended?

If so, you can just go back to recovery and flash that and be fine.

You are correct, it was S-OFF, I thought I had successfully patched that, but I was wrong.

I just flashed the stock HTC rom back onto it, ran rumrunner and resinstalled the 4.4 ROM. Up and running now. Put the stock recovery on and about to OTA update, so I may have to reinstall again, lol.

zewone

You are correct, it was S-OFF, I thought I had successfully patched that, but I was wrong.

I just flashed the stock HTC rom back onto it, ran rumrunner and resinstalled the 4.4 ROM. Up and running now. Put the stock recovery on and about to OTA update, so I may have to reinstall again, lol.

Is there any benefit to converting to GPE instead of just flashing a GPE ROM with TWRP/CWM?

EDIT: Sorry if I'm mistaken, but that's what it sounds like you are planning on doing.

Trouble

Banned
Is there any benefit to converting to GPE instead of just flashing a GPE ROM with TWRP/CWM?

EDIT: Sorry if I'm mistaken, but that's what it sounds like you are planning on doing.

Not if the ROM is up to date. I don't really care about rooting or ROM additions, I just want stock android that I can OTA update without any fiddling.

Strangely the OTA update didn't actually work (wouldn't reboot). I installed it via recovery, so I'm hoping OTA updates work properly in the future.

I was scared a while back when all the talk was about HTC and their financial problems and was uncertain about their future, but reading all about the M8 has me excited. Other than the camera, pretty much everything has been improved on, making a near perfect phone even better.

Has anyone ever had issues with the phone having faulty pin connectors/ hard time charging? Lately I've noticed that I have to jiggle the cable and adjust the connector just slightly in order to get the phone to charge. Not all the time, just randomly. The pins look a tiny bit bent, and I've had this same issue years ago with an old Blackberry, where after a while the pins got so worn from connecting and disconnecting that it wouldn't charge at all. And now I'm afraid this might happen to my One.

Trouble

Banned
Is Rumrunner the preferred way to get S-Off? Looking to switch to a GPE ROM and saw I had to have S-Off first.

That's what I used. By far the most terrifying part of the process. Your phone will reboot and go back and forth from recovery to the OS a bunch of times.

Also, if you haven't unlocked your bootloader yet, keep in mind it will factory reset your phone when you do.

Edit:

By the way, I am so much happier now that I have GPE installed.

A ton of minor annoyances from Sense are gone and a few nice perks:
- lock screen always recognizes when I'm listening to Spotify
- Headset button always controls Spotify when I'm using it, Sense would open the phone app half the time.
- The google experience launcher lets you say 'OK Google' without having to open Google Now first, Nova launcher was decent, but I really wanted this feature
- Shows more than 6 (or whatever) open apps in the app list
- 4.4 brings Tap & Pay via Google Wallet

I'm having a small issue with my HTC One, where the volume of the phone speaker seems to drop in and out when I'm on a voice call. This can make it really hard for me to follow a conversation, as it sounds like the person on other end is moving the phone away from their mouth while speaking - gets muffled, fades in/out, even disappears sometimes.

I'm pretty sure it is the phone, as it happens fairly often when speaking to different people who are using different phones, or even when they're on a landline. I've also been on the same network for a long time with my previous phone, so I don't think that is a factor.

I'm running Android Revolution HD ROM (Google Play Edition) as well.

Anyone heard of this issue before? It's getting really frustrating.

Well, looks like I lost the headset that came with the phone. Anyone know where I can buy a new set? I have found some on amazon and eBay but they seem to be knockoffs.

You know, before I bought the phone I heard so much fuss about Boom Sound, but to me it appears that my phone is as loud as an iPhone / Note 2. What gives? Are your phones decidedly louder than those phones?

MattDoza

You know, before I bought the phone I heard so much fuss about Boom Sound, but to me it appears that my phone is as loud as an iPhone / Note 2. What gives? Are your phones decidedly louder than those phones?

I think it's louder at lower volume levels, but not intensely, or decidedly to quote you, louder. The fact that they're front facing and quality stereo sound is why they're great. Anything that has rear or bottom speaker location will always be wrong, to me, from here on out.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

From what I've noticed, the volume is the same but the quality of the speakers is much better on the One. The iPhone speakers put out a muffled sound in comparison.

Hey I've been pulling my hair out about this for a month now. My HTC One has slowed down quite a bit since upgrading to 4.3 (I have ATT). I use Aviate as my launcher (used to use Nova), but when I press the home button while in the browser, the home screen almost always redraws now. It takes a few seconds...it's really annoying. Same thing is happening with Nova. Swiftkey is slower to show up when I want to type something also.

I don't know too much about RAM usage with the Android, but my RAM usage is really, really high. Everywhere I read online says it's okay that it uses a ton of RAM because Android manages it well, but I'm not sure honestly. These redraws make me feel that my phone is short on RAM. Currently my phone is using 1.5 of the 1.7 available GB of RAM. I don't really see anything out of the ordinary running in my processes, and when I mentally add up the totals, it never seems to cross ~400 MB. Does the system OS really using close to 1 GB? That's crazy if so..

I remember on 4.1.2 that my RAM never went above 700 MB.

Not sure what happened to my phone. :/ Anyone have any ideas? At this point, I'd rather just go back to 4.1.2 if I could. The HTC One was my favorite phone by far..now I'm scared my phone is just getting worse by the day.

EDIT: Oh, on another note. My battery with location services is SIGNIFICANTLY worse since upgrading. I used to get ~1.5 days with 3-4 hours screen time with location services on. Nowadays I'm lucky to get through work because of the wake locks location services is causing me on 4.3. I keep my location services totally off now and only use it when I absolutely have to. It's really annoying. I guess my battery life is back to the way it was on 4.1.2..but with location services off. I'd like to keep them on again..

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I had that happen to me some months ago, but I couldn't locate a single thing that was really causing it. I ended up fixing it by restarting the phone, now my RAM usage stays around 600-700MB.

I had that happen to me some months ago, but I couldn't locate a single thing that was really causing it. I ended up fixing it by restarting the phone, now my RAM usage stays around 600-700MB.

I wish that worked for me. :/ I've tried that several times.

I almost think I have to wipe my phone..or is there anyway I can just reinstall 4.3 without losing my data?

GSG Flash

Downloading 4.4.2 right now! (Rogers) :D

Does anyone have a list of changes and new additions? I saw a European change list that showed that flash support is being removed from the browser, which slightly ticked me off.... But it didn't say anything like that for me when the phone was showing me the upgrade.

GSG Flash

My battery life has gotten a huge boost with Kit Kat. My phone would be dead right now on Jelly Bean.

SandTorso

Is 4.4.2 out for T-mobile?

Not yet, probably sometime early next week. Carriers tend to push out updates in the monday-wednesday range. If not then, one more week should do it.

Given AT&T supposedly got theirs out, I would assume the rest would hit this upcoming week.

Lamel

Banned
Not yet, probably sometime early next week. Carriers tend to push out updates in the monday-wednesday range. If not then, one more week should do it.

Given AT&T supposedly got theirs out, I would assume the rest would hit this upcoming week.

This is BS, they've been saying this past week (last week of Jan.) was the one!

Goldrush

Got a launch day HTC One. Thinking about sending it in to fix the purple tint on the camera. Brought the phone on Sprint but switched to T-Mobile. Currently using the phone like an iPod Touch. How and who should I contact about repair?

kudoboi

since there is no thread about the HTC M8/ HTC one v2 ill just post this here. apparently this leaked a few days ago and was confirmed that it is the real deal by an insider

htc8.jpg

jesus christ that bezel

Edwardo

I downloaded 4.4.2 the other day and my text messages are taking a few extra seconds for my texts to load after I receive them. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

MattDoza

I downloaded 4.4.2 the other day and my text messages are taking a few extra seconds for my texts to load after I receive them. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

I sometimes get long loads on MMS (specifically with photos and videos), but not with SMS. I'm on GPE Stock 4.2.2, though.

bpfd

My One died today. I put it on the charger last night before going to sleep and woke up this morning and noticed it had not charged. I thought it may have just been the charger so I took it to work and plugged it into my PC and it wasn't recognized nor would it charge.Tried rebooting it and all that accomplished was draining what little bit of battery I had left.

I went to the Sprint store at lunch and they couldn't get it to charge either, so I had to order a replacement. Wont get it until Wednesday or Thursday so I am stuck using an old Epic 4G.

Top Bottom