• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HTC One |OT| The Beauty is a Beast

Yeah I've just been having some sluggish performance overall the last 2-3 days. When I go to my list of apps it takes a few seconds to populate when it used to be practically instantaneous.

Same with a few other things. It's pretty annoying for sure.

I'm on sprint by the way. I'm not sure if I've put on Kit Kat or whatever the latest update is. At least I don't remember doing it. How do I check that?

Wow can't believe Kit Kat is out on the HTC One already. I was expecting months, not weeks. That's pretty amazing turn around time.

On a different note, I took off my case for a couple of days and it seems within that time frame, the camera lens got cracked. Kinda annoyed it cracked so easily. I wish I never took the case off now.

MattDoza

Wow can't believe Kit Kat is out on the HTC One already. I was expecting months, not weeks. That's pretty amazing turn around time.

On a different note, I took off my case for a couple of days and it seems within that time frame, the camera lens got cracked. Kinda annoyed it cracked so easily. I wish I never took the case off now.
Bummer! Is it a large crack? Affecting the camera at all?

Been naked for a long time now. Bought a double dip for like 6 bucks on Amazon today, though.

Bummer! Is it a large crack? Affecting the camera at all?

Been naked for a long time now. Bought a double dip for like 6 bucks on Amazon today, though.

It's pretty large, but fortunately it looks like it's to the side of the center camera lens. Still concerned that light will hit the crack and cause a problem with pictures, but so far it looks like it's okay. I'd be pissed if the camera was screwed.

abunai

Flashed 4.4 sense rom, nice surprise to find that it was out at the weekend. Felt like a change to something more minimal so:
2013-12-0211.35.27lteoy.png
2013-12-0211.35.385bfpz.png

Pictures and widgetlocker theme and stuff are in here
Icons are an Apex icon pack called smallwhites

Only had 2 charge cycles but battery life seems improved. Used to drain about 21% per hour while using the phone heavily (according to betterbatterystats) but now it's at about 16.5%. Hopefully idle drain is improved as well.

pahamrick

If anyone has an available upgrade with AT&T, this is free for today only. Just used my upgrade on one since my current phone has been on the fritz.

ST2K

Finally got One after thinking about it for a while. Smartphones are cool, and the HTC One seems to not be an exception.

So yeah, I'm enjoying it quite a bit, but media managing is a bit of a pain and the BlinkFeed doesn't really pull stuff from the feeds I selected in a balanced way (i.e. here's 1 thing from the AP, 5 IGN articles, and 20 tweets). I think I'll dive into more customizable appearance stuff after I'm officially used to this thing.

VoxPop

Is there anyway to change the icons without getting a different launcher in Sense? I messed around with the Sense 5 Toolbox but doesn't seem to be anything there.

As much as I love customizing my phone, I'd like to keep it as stock as possible.

Also is there a way to get rid of the clock + weather in blinkfeed?

BFIB

Ok, this is driving me nuts. Hopefully someone can help.

For some reason, my MMS messages are being sent, but the receiving end only gets a "received message". If I send individuall, it goes through just fine. I've made sure that MMS is enabled in the default app, and I'm still seeing this issue.

Anyone else run into this?

Oyashiro

Battery life has been much worse for me since upgrading to 4.4. On 4.3, my phone would last all day long. Since I upgraded, it hardly makes it by the time I get home (7pm or so). Hopefully it will even out soon. I'm running InsertCoin ROM.

Cryst

Is there anyway to change the icons without getting a different launcher in Sense? I messed around with the Sense 5 Toolbox but doesn't seem to be anything there.

As much as I love customizing my phone, I'd like to keep it as stock as possible.

If your phone is rooted, you can install Xposed framework, then Unicon, which allows system wide icon changing (not just launcher/homescreen, but lockscreen and everywhere the icons show up). This way you can keep using the Sense launcher. Requires root though, which may be a knock against your "close to stock" requirement.

Battery life has been much worse for me since upgrading to 4.4. On 4.3, my phone would last all day long. Since I upgraded, it hardly makes it by the time I get home (7pm or so). Hopefully it will even out soon. I'm running InsertCoin ROM.

Battery life has been fine on ARHD for me, but I haven't had time to really put it through more strenuous use.

RoKKeR

Flashed 4.4 sense rom, nice surprise to find that it was out at the weekend. Felt like a change to something more minimal so:

Pictures and widgetlocker theme and stuff are in here
Icons are an Apex icon pack called smallwhites

Only had 2 charge cycles but battery life seems improved. Used to drain about 21% per hour while using the phone heavily (according to betterbatterystats) but now it's at about 16.5%. Hopefully idle drain is improved as well.
What text is that? Looks great.

DagsJT

Bought an HTC One from eBay last night, hopefully collecting this weekend. Upgrade from a Nexus 4, very excited.

Have I made a mistake? Between this and the Z1, this is the better camera I believe. But reading this thread and people aren't so impressed :(

abunai

It's Helvetica neue I believe.

Bought an HTC One from eBay last night, hopefully collecting this weekend. Upgrade from a Nexus 4, very excited.

Have I made a mistake? Between this and the Z1, this is the better camera I believe. But reading this thread and people aren't so impressed :(

It's the best phone I've owned (once I replaced sense launcher with something else). Battery life is decent, not mindblowing. I prefer smoothness and functionality instead of gimping the system for battery life but if you wanted more you can use custom kernels and undervolt and get 2 days out of the device - I've done it in the past. I don't expect much from a camera phone but the pictures the One takes look clean, unless you zoom in.

VoxPop

If your phone is rooted, you can install Xposed framework, then Unicon, which allows system wide icon changing (not just launcher/homescreen, but lockscreen and everywhere the icons show up). This way you can keep using the Sense launcher. Requires root though, which may be a knock against your "close to stock" requirement.

Thanks I'm rooted but decided to just go with Nova and keep it clean. Finally put some tweaks on my phone and added some much needed features (volume2wake, swipe up on home key for sleep, htc logo to wake, music widget in dock, some more random stuff)

RoKKeR said:

Helvetica Neue or Light I think. It's the iOS font so you should be able to just get it via downloading an iOS7 lock clock.

Addnan

This is pretty much the only Android I have been happy with. Amazing phone. The camera is great. I know the megapixels aren't very high but just comparing old photos with my S3 the difference is night and day. The quality in photos seem to be a lot better.

I was torn between a High-res cam vs a great low-light parformance and great color accuracy. I went with the latter because i just post on FB and IG at thimes and so far im happy with it.. Though its pretty certain now, the predecessor of this phone is gonna be a beast.

DagsJT

Well it looks like the eBay item was a scam in the end so no phone just yet :/

Boomsound is more important for me than almost everything else besides battery. I'm not a big camera person so as long as it's good enough, I'm happy.

RoKKeR

Thanks I'm rooted but decided to just go with Nova and keep it clean. Finally put some tweaks on my phone and added some much needed features (volume2wake, swipe up on home key for sleep, htc logo to wake, music widget in dock, some more random stuff)

Helvetica Neue or Light I think. It's the iOS font so you should be able to just get it via downloading an iOS7 lock clock.
Thanks, and damn that is a good looking setup. What icon's are those?

Wish I had the guts to flash, haha

reKon

Banned
I finally took an hour to so to look into the deep customization options and have learned about the greatness of the Xposed Module's and how they work. Thanks to this, I have the hold volume rocker to change track (while screen is off) mod, while using a Sense 5.5 Rom and I didn't need to flash CM for this.

On my Nexus 7 I installed the Gravity Box module and now have access to a lot of the major features that I would use on a Android Rom such as CM, except I'm running it stock. I can even get the PIE controls if I wanted...

Basically for those who don't know, the Xposed Module's allow you get features of custom roms, without having the flash a new ROM and go through that entire process. All I really wanted was that volume rocker to switch track mod and I now have it.

I'm probably slow as hell in learning about this, but I'm happy now.

DagsJT

Quite pleased with the HTC One, I'll list as bullet points:

- Camera is supposed to be better in low light? Photos I took were great in daylight and pretty poor in low light indoors, awful in the dark outside.

- Got a cheap case with the phone and the power button is a nightmare, have to use my finger nail to press it. Doesn't seem right having the power button up top, got used to having it on the side of the phone.

- Black version is VERY slippy, definitely needs a case.

- Blinkfeed is pretty decent, a lot better than I expected.

- Phone feels super-quick, and I thought the N4 was quick.

- Speakers are a lot better than I expected. Sure, reviews say they're good but you get used to crap phone speakers so this was a big surprise.

DagsJT

Camera just flat out doesn't work in darkness, just shows a pink/purple screen. It flashed up the actual camera view for a split second whilst I looked through settings but that was it.

Reading around, its a common issue. Great.

MattDoza

Camera just flat out doesn't work in darkness, just shows a pink/purple screen. It flashed up the actual camera view for a split second whilst I looked through settings but that was it.

The infamous purple tint.

DagsJT

The infamous purple tint.

This isn't even a tint, its the whole screen. Just tried it again and all pink, then a split second of what I should be seeing. Then all pink again.

Pretty disappointed to be honest, I should've researched before buying and then I'd have known how widespread this is.

I hope you can still return that.. Or maybe asomething a custom firmware can solve?

the one thing I notice is that it seems the night mode isntthat much better in low light scenarios than normal mode.. Its almost like I took the same shot twice under normal mode when I do my comparisons. HDR mode is thebbest mode in lowlight no flash photography. I was expecting Niight mode to be that much better in those kind of situations. Kinda wierd that it wasn't that much different than normal. That zoe mode should definitey be used under good light conditions.

DagsJT

Not sure what to do with my HTC One. Got it off eBay yesterday and it's fine apart from the low light camera which is a mess. Not just a purple tint but at times the screen is completely purple.

I've read HTC were aware and 4.3 was supposed to fix it but some are saying it's actually worse since then.

Given the camera was a big selling poiby, this is hugely disappointing. Is 4.4 likely to fix it? People have sent their phone to HTC and it appears to fix it but then the issue comes back. From my experience, it's a lot worse when the phone is warm from use so not convinced this can be fixed apart from a whole new revision of the camera module.

The phone is great otherwise, I prefer it to my N4. But I can't take a photo after 3pm at the moment due to the lack of natural light and the purple tint which becomes a purple screen as the night goes on.

Hmm...

abunai

HTC said it was a software issue but the purple tint only seems to affect cameras produced after late july-ish even after 4.3/4.4 updates. It's honestly more likely to be a hardware issue, which sucks.

RoKKeR

Eh, overall I just think the camera sucks unless you are doing close ups in great light. Coming from an iPhone 5 it's been incredibly disappointing and one of my very few complaints about the phone.

Hope they ditch the ultra pixel shit (because that clearly doesn't help in lowlight... lowlight is shit) for this year's model and just make a solid camera.

Clipjoint

I have the purple tint issue as well, very frustrating. If I knew the camera was going to be an issue in low-light I would have purchased an S4 or Note 3.

EvetS

HTC changed the camera module that fixes the purple tint issue for all ultra pixel units produced after October. Send it in and they will replace it under warranty. You can check the serial number for the manufacturing date: HT3AAxxx... means 2013 October 10th.

MattDoza

HTC changed the camera module that fixes the purple tint issue for all ultra pixel units produced after October. Send it in and they will replace it under warranty. You can check the serial number for the manufacturing date: HT3AAxxx... means 2013 October 10th.

Or, if you have ES File Explorer, or any file management app really, and go to sys>android_camera>sensor>open as text you'll see a date.

EulaCapra

For some odd reason, my phone doesn't like my home wifi anymore these past couple of days. The wifi speed is so slow and when loading a webpage, it feels like the blue loading bar is at 1/4 and sometimes pages would load after 30 seconds. This has never been a problem before as the router never had problems with my phone before and all of our other devices have shown no signs of slow wifi. It's just my HTC One recently.

I've cleaned many caches and tried reading tips, and one of them said to turn Airplane mode on and off. That works for some reason and the HTC One wifi speed would be back to blazing fast, but after awhile when I let it sit idle, it goes back to being super slow.

Troubleshooting tips?

Top Bottom