• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Gvitor

I read through all of the chapters in this arc yesterday in preparation for this. I strongly reccommend everyone to do so, as those chapters are really dense and full of content that's likely to be forgotten in this 2-year long hiatus. It doesn't help that Togashi introduced about 20 or more characters as well.

350 wastes absolutely no time in getting back into things. We have some familiar faces here and there to ease up the returning after that long absence, but it really is like it never stopped. The prince war is shaping up to be a great arc that leads into the Dark Continent. Hopefully at least this subplot ends before the next hiatus.

Best manga is back, finally.

Melody has kinda too much weirdly specific backstory to kill off just yet. I guess Togashi could just write off all that Sonata of Darkness stuff, but I really want to see that stuff explored.

Then again, that shit could easily be tied into the Dark Continent arc and open her to get killed off tragically.

Hanzo seems like an easy surprise death.

Eh most of these guys, if they are killed, will outlast most of the people in the current arc. All of them are pretty signiciant characters, unlike say Pokkle.

This "arc" really is looking to absolutely dwarf the Chimera Ant arc in length. So much needs to happen before they even reach the Dark Continent shores.

cLOUDo

Nice summary of the Arc

8pOGG9i.png

Garou Zoldyck :p

Because Togashi really loves putting a twiiist in his stories, let's bet what it is going to be the twist here.

My prediction is how the power balance between the princes is going to change soon. Right now there are 4-5 main princes, the ones who seems to be the real players of the game, and the rest, weaker and/or younger princes who surely will die. But, each one is going to receive a "stand" from the Nen pot, and the strength of the stand may vary depending of their spirit/potential and other unqualifiable features. So my bet is that some of the totally forgettable young princes will be one of the top candidates thanks to the stand, while some of the most powerful princes now will be in a much worse position because their stand will be bad.

Yonafunu

I wouldn't really call this the Dark Continent arc yet. We first have to get through the Black Whale arc. It really seems like it's going to take a long time til the Dark Continent.

I wouldn't really call this the Dark Continent arc yet. We first have to get through the Black Whale arc. It really seems like it's going to take a long time til the Dark Continent.

Fair enough.

Now that I think about it... this is somewhat like Yorknew - Greed Island stretch except its with Leorio and Kurapika instead of Gon and Killua.

During Yorknew there was the mini Greed Island sub-plot that Gon and Killua was involved in. It took second seat to the troupe and Kurapika of course. In the next arc we finally got to Greed Island.

Perhaps the boat journey arc is basically Yorknew 2.0 in the sense that the Dark Continent arc is getting closer but until then another plot will be dealt with. This time instead of the troupe its the princes. They then arrive to Dark Continent just like Gon/Kil arrived @ Greed Island for the following arc.

wonder which of the princes hired the zoldycks.

If any of them are actually hired, I hope its Maha. We have one statement about him and that statement can be interpreted as Maha back in the day being on-par if not stronger than Prime Netero.

I wanna see him in action

If any of them are actually hired, I hope its Maha. We have one statement about him and that statement can be interpreted as Maha back in the day being on-par if not stronger than Prime Netero.

I wanna see him in action

You have to remember if multiple princes hire the same bodyguard they're disqualified so it probably won't be anyone wwll known like him, Zeno or Sylva.

Hanzou always struck me as being one of the stronger candidates from the Hunter exam so I am excited to see his Nen this arc, also curious about Kuropika's master

remz

what was thing on the last page, suprisingly i was able to keep and remember everything else

It's a weird Nen pot Kakin has that gives the royal family Nen powers that seem similar to the Stands from Jojo's.

They stick their hand in, it takes blood, creepy nen ghost comes out. In the last batch of chapters it showed the King's freaky titty beast stand

SalvaPot

Here is a brief explanation for those a bit confused I found on the comments:

Those confused about the chapter :
The Family of Princes have ranks of power -- Superior, Upper and Lowest. The more powerful princes already have private armies so cant be infiltrated and dont need bodyguard recruits whilst the lowest ranking princes need protection because they will all be killed and need them. The boat that heads to the dark continent and this cruise is a private death match for succession that masking to the public the brutal war. The Prince Kurapika wants to reach is fourth prince due to believing he has information or the parts of his (Kurapika red eyed people). However he is in the higher ranked princes so they would not be needing to invite people to be bodyguards thus not be infiltrated. So he wanted a Prince that could get him close to the Fourth Prince. Due to Harkenburg facebook post saying he was friends with the Fourth he deemed Harkenburg was the prince he needed and he thought the profile he reviewed was his. When it turned out to be a lower prince that was a baby. The mother of this prince then also wanted to get anyone that was specifically looking for Harkenburg to make sure he had one less person looking for him and or to assassinate him. Due to her believing that Harkenburg is the trump card that will protect the lowest princes.

The philosophy of the royal family being only the strongest will survive and the most ambitious (the ones that want the title of prince) are deserving of existing. The cruise will involve fights to death in some form and whoever survives will be the heir. If you run away and or refuse then you are deemed weak and unworthy of being a prince and thus killed due to not having the right mind to be King. So even though this prince is a baby she has to enter it. The Prince Kurapika wanted to join with was Harkenburg and Harkenburg wants to topple this royal system murder gauntlet. The mother of this prince believes Harkenburg will protect them.
(...second comment...)
Great explanation, thanks!

Just to add a small detail that I thought was interesting:

The reason the wife thinks Harkenburg will protect them is because he has built his support/power on being "the good guy" and on changing the system of succession/government entirely.

Therefore if it is discovered that the succession involved death-matches for children, and that he profited by this instead of exposing it, he will lose his support and power, and even if he becomes king he will be in a bad position with no support/power-base and seen as a hypocrite.

The wife has evidence regarding this death-match that she will leak to the press if she/her daughter is killed, so he will try to protect her to avoid this.

dr_mario

I wanna engage with HxH again. So much. The chapter promises so much. But I fear so much it will never come to a close, not even this new arc might. It's so hard to have been fan of a manga for so long... which still doesn't has a tasteable end. And I seriously don't believe Togashi has a master plan. He might have an outline of half the arc. At most.

But I waaaaant to love HxH. It's my childhood, my adulthood and will probably be my death(hood...?)

Philippo

Man i missed this one for too much, so hyped is back
for now
!

Togashi back at it with a single chapter and all his trademarks are there: political intrigue, wall of texts, actual smart reasoning, long missing characters back, subverting the reader's expectations (did not expect that baby to be the employer) etc.

It's just the best of the best.

KidB

I just read the chapter,Togashi's writing is above and beyond any other mangaka's whose work I've read. This arc is so fascinating and the fact that another hiatus is almost sure to come is killing me...

Syntsui

So how does this work, he dropped this new chapter and we have absolutely no clue if there will be another anytime soon?

Gvitor

So how does this work, he dropped this new chapter and we have absolutely no clue if there will be another anytime soon?

Basically.

In theory, when it isn't on hiatus it's a weekly manga, but Togashi takes 1-2 weeks breaks even when hxh is printing. When that happens it says in the end of the chapter though, so there is no break scheduled for next week, for instance. However, in the last hiatus, there wasn't either, we got the hiatus notice after the chapter was published. I say it's pretty safe to assume that there'll be a chapter next week, but other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

Syntsui

Basically.

In theory, when it isn't on hiatus it's a weekly manga, but Togashi takes 1-2 weeks breaks even when hxh is printing. When that happens it says in the end of the chapter though, so there is no break scheduled for next week, for instance. However, in the last hiatus, there wasn't either, we got the hiatus notice after the chapter was published. I say it's pretty safe to assume that there'll be a chapter next week, but other than that, your guess is as good as mine.

Let's pray then.

Ross61

Okay I have a question. So if I understand correctly, during one of the expeditions to the Dark Continent, one or some of the calamities were accidentally brought back into the regular world?

So one of the many reasons for the newest voyage is to find "solution" to the calamities?

They don't give a shit about the calamities already here, its all about the possible resources in the DC. While horrifying, most of the calamities located in the known world are low scale in terms of wide scale damage (except Ai depending on how big the last wish was) and at least the zombie virus has been contained.

Moaradin

Reading the manga for the first time. Already saw the 2011 anime so I'm just reading the end of the CA arc and Election arc to catch up. Considering how much people like to bring up the scribbles, the art in this manga is seriously pretty good at times.

Reading the manga for the first time. Already saw the 2011 anime so I'm just reading the end of the CA arc and Election arc to catch up. Considering how much people like to bring up the scribbles, the art in this manga is seriously pretty good sometimes.

Chances are your reading the volume editions, which updated the art from scribbles to good art. While Togashi will never be a Miura or Karou in art quality, I really do enjoy his style.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Reading the manga for the first time. Already saw the 2011 anime so I'm just reading the end of the CA arc and Election arc to catch up. Considering how much people like to bring up the scribbles, the art in this manga is seriously pretty good at times.

That's part of why it was so sad/frustrating. HxH has an incredible art direction

Gvitor

I really like HxH's art as well. And it's been a while since we got scribbles. They usually happen when Togashi does long runs without any short breaks/long hiatuses. And since the last runs have been short, they were pretty good in the art department.

That said, even when he does scribbles, he redraws everything for the volume release. Sometimes he draws something pretty among the mess and keep them, though. We must never forget the chicken.

Top Bottom