• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

SoulUnison

Banned
It wasn't a cop-out.

"Chemical Rose" is a Nuke without directly naming Nuke- a massive bomb that leaves mass fallout and illness in its wake. He survives the blast only to die anyway.

It can be both.
Personally, I fall somewhere in the middle.

Miniature Rose was a good piece of world building to show that Man has desperate measures that can deal with some of the world's "Calamities," but it's also frustrating that the longest arc by far spends its time hyping up the King, then he gets an huge power boost out from his Royal Guards...and we really never seem him do anything with it. I feel like, even versus Netero, Meruem was mostly playing around and enjoying testing the bounds of his powers.

It's like if, right at the end of the Cell Saga, after all the build up with the Androids and everything, it was revealed that Cell had contracted Goku's Heart Virus and just sort of fell over dead.

It's thematic and powerful but a bit hollow and unsatisfying.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It can be both.
Personally, I fall somewhere in the middle.

Miniature Rose was a good piece of world building to show that Man has desperate measures that can deal with some of the world's "Calamities," but it's also frustrating that the longest arc by far spends its time hyping up the King, then he gets an huge power boost out from his Royal Guards...and we really never seem him do anything with it. I feel like, even versus Netero, Meruem was mostly playing around and enjoying testing the bounds of his powers.

It's like if, right at the end of the Cell Saga, after all the build up with the Androids and everything, it was revealed that Cell had contracted Goku's Heart Virus and just sort of fell over dead.

It's thematic and powerful but a bit hollow and unsatisfying.

He was beaten by Komugi. The real conflict of the arc was always Meruem vs Komugi, well it was always Meruem's ant side vs his human side.

smurfx

get some go again
would be funny if illumi kills chrollo when he is about to kill hisoka. i'm sure chrollo must have a bunch of bounties on him and this is basically the best opportunity to get at him. or even funnier is if illumi kills chrollo just as hisoka is about to kill him and takes away his glory.

Debating Netero vs Royal guard is difficult because we just don't have enough data.

Regardless, the only Guard I don't think Netero isn't beating for sure without Miniature Rose is Youpi. He has the best durability out of the three guards by far and although The King is on another level it took thousands of blows before he started to even remotely feel a slither of minor numbness/pain.

Youpi wouldn't be able to hit Netero like Meruem could [hasn't got the speed or smarts] so it comes down to who can outlast who and I'm going with Youpi. I just think Netero would tire out before he could kill Youpi. He'd damage him more obviously but I don't think he'd be able to seal the deal.

kirblar

You knew how the election would turn out?
You knew that Pariston was on Aizac's side to troll the Association?
Losing the election only for Pariston to say "fuck it, here you go, have fun"?

That's an anticlimax! :)

He's predictable in using them, even if you don't know how exactly it might end.

vypek

would be funny if illumi kills chrollo when he is about to kill hisoka. i'm sure chrollo must have a bunch of bounties on him and this is basically the best opportunity to get at him. or even funnier is if illumi kills chrollo just as hisoka is about to kill him and takes away his glory.

lol that would be great

Hyun Sai

So if I understand correctly, Chrollo lost his right hand, being double bluffed just like that ?

Fantastic, Hisoka is some next level awareness, tactical and on the fly creativity and improvisation, love it.

Daingurse

Regardless, the only Guard I don't think Netero isn't beating for sure without Miniature Rose is Youpi. He has the best durability out of the three guards by far and although The King is on another level it took thousands of blows before he started to even remotely feel a slither of minor numbness/pain.

Youpi wouldn't be able to hit Netero like Meruem could [hasn't got the speed or smarts] so it comes down to who can outlast who and I'm going with Youpi. I just think Netero would tire out before he could kill Youpi. He'd damage him more obviously but I don't think he'd be able to seal the deal.

I think I would take Netero over Youpi. I can't see Youpi tagging Netero, like period. I don't see Netero doing much damage to Youpi, but I think he would win over time. Mentally he was compared to a plant, he can play long-ball without any issue. His ability seemed to be pretty damn efficient. I think he had the fortitude to keep that shit up for a long time. Youpi would run out of aura eventually.

Kieli

If the gap between the RG and Mereum is anything like the gap between RG and captains, I think Netero can take on the RG.

I think I would take Netero over Youpi. I can't see Youpi tagging Netero, like period. I don't see Netero doing much damage to Youpi, but I think he would win over time. Mentally he was compared to a plant, he can play long-ball without any issue. His ability seemed to be pretty damn efficient. I think he had the fortitude to keep that shit up for a long time. Youpi would run out of aura eventually.

I can't see Youpi tagging Netero either but I don't think he'd need to.

Without the Rose, I don't think Netero would be able to kill him before he wears himself out and then Youpi can strike. Youpi is an absolute monster, he's the closest to Meruem in durability. He clearly has the most aura of any known character outside of Gon-San and Meruem. He literally said that everyone he fought had less than a tenth of his aura/raw-power. For comparison, Netero said that in terms of Nen/aura he wasn't that far off from Morel/Knov due to his age.

The fact that he's an Enhancer also helps him tremendously.

Daingurse

Without the Rose, I don't think Netero would be able to kill him before he wears himself out and then Youpi can strike. Youpi is an absolute monster, he's the closest to Meruem in durability. He clearly has the most aura of any known character outside of Gon-San and Meruem. He literally said that everyone he fought had less than a tenth of his aura/raw-power. For comparison, Netero said that in terms of Nen/aura he wasn't that far off from Morel/Knov due to his age.

Youpi is a monster without a doubt. I can't see Netero really doing any damage before he runs out of aura, he's just too tough with enhancement Nen on top of his natural durability. But against an opponent like Netero, I think Youpi would quickly grow frustrated and burn through all his aura. The aura explosion ability and all the shape-shifting consumed a lot of aura, and I can't see any of those attacks hitting Netero because of the way he can compress time with the Guanyin. Maybe if Youpi keeps evolving? That would be his best shot, and was definitely one of Youpi's most terrifying qualities. He adapted and grew at an incredible rate.

Kieli

I think he was being modest. Did you see how large his aura became after meditating?

But I'm sure even prime Netero would have less aura than the RG. It's just how humans are vs. animals/insects. Pound for pound, our physical stats are shit-tier.

I think he was being modest. Did you see how large his aura became after meditating?

But I'm sure even prime Netero would have less aura than the RG. It's just how humans are vs. animals/insects. Pound for pound, our physical stats are shit-tier.

well we have some of the best stamina in the animal kingdom at least, that's something

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Go and see a fighting tournament they said.
It will be a good laugh they said.
You wont be brutally murdered they said.

Togashi seems to enjoy a lot of collateral damage to tournament crowds. The Dark Tournament in YYH had huge swaths of the crowd getting obliterated every other match. Bui was basically wrestling the dragon of the darkness flame around the entire arena. I was always wondering anyone was still there watching by the end hah.

yami4ct

Hisoka's VA is good in the dub HXH!

He's definitely the big standout so far. Really captures the same kind of creepy performance the Japanese VA had while not trying so hard to ham it up that it loses effect. They made a very good casting choice.

HStallion

Hisoka's VA is good in the dub HXH!

Yeah I gotta say I wasn't sure how I felt on his VA at first but after a couple episodes I'm totally fine with it and I can't wait till we get to one of the moment's where he gets really "turned on" by a fighter. SCHWING!!!

I'm still not sure how I feel about Gon and Killua but Leorio and Kurapika aren't bad either.

Hisoka v Chrollo is looking to be one of the first big drawn out fights in the series where the two seem roughly evenly matched.

Most fights in the series are pretty one-sided. Even Netero vs Meruem... Meruem was trying to break Netero mentally, not kill him.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
"When your pain is a ten on a scale of one to ten, you can't move your body even a centimeter throughout the night" - Togashi's Author Comment in the latest Jump

Okay okay, we'll stop making Dragon Quest jokes. Just please tell us something other than how much pain you're in.

Kyuur

Hisoka v Chrollo is looking to be one of the first big drawn out fights in the series where the two seem roughly evenly matched.

Most fights in the series are pretty one-sided. Even Netero vs Meruem... Meruem was trying to break Netero mentally, not kill him.

I don't think so, Muruem could not hit Netero until he dealt the decisive blow. Regardless of his goal I don't think he was holding back in any way.

Nibel

"When your pain is a ten on a scale of one to ten, you can't move your body even a centimeter throughout the night" - Togashi's Author Comment in the latest Jump

Okay okay, we'll stop making Dragon Quest jokes. Just please tell us something other than how much pain you're in.

mjcry1dosgi.png

Someone help Togashi-san

SalvaPot

Man Togashi is either a hero for writhing this or practicing for his junior highschool dramatic reading.

Geez, is this something he's currently enduring, or is he recounting his experience during the last hiatus?

Jigolo

Geez, is this something he's currently enduring, or is he recounting his experience during the last hiatus?
Likely this otherwise he wouldn't be writing going by the sound of things. Togashi was in real bad shape and now he's sharing what he was going through.

Likely this otherwise he wouldn't be writing going by the sound of things. Togashi was in real bad shape and now he's sharing what he was going through.
That's what I'm hoping, it's just seeing these comments week after week, you almost can't help but still be worried for the guy.

HStallion

Wasn't ailing from some kind of back injury or issue? At least I thought it was something relating to that from an interview he had.

Daingurse

Wasn't ailing from some kind of back injury or issue? At least I thought it was something relating to that from an interview he had.

Last I heard Togashi was suffering from severe chronic back pain. Think he's had some surgeries he's been recovering from. Hope he found some relief, chronic pain is no fun.

Permanently A

just caught up, very exciting. I'm sure this is the "top 3 HxH moment" that they said was coming. Was just completely shocked when they showed Chrollo and Hisoka, I was totally resigned that we would never get that fight. Didn't Chrollo lose his Nen powers? How is he still using his book?

vypek

just caught up, very exciting. I'm sure this is the "top 3 HxH moment" that they said was coming. Was just completely shocked when they showed Chrollo and Hisoka, I was totally resigned that we would never get that fight. Didn't Chrollo lose his Nen powers? How is he still using his book?

He got them back. There was a nen eraser in Greed Island

Gvitor

Oh yeah, I forgot about this. In the last publication streak, in the penultimate chapter before the hiatus, it was said one of the "top 3 HxH moments" was coming next. Then he releases one more chapter and goes into hiatus.

I think it's somewhat safe to assume these chapters were already worked on to some degree back then. Maybe we're looking into a longer run this time? Even with Togashi's constant pain posts in the website?

I should've learned by now not to be optmistic.

yami4ct

Last I heard Togashi was suffering from severe chronic back pain. Think he's had some surgeries he's been recovering from. Hope he found some relief, chronic pain is no fun.

He's also apparently lost a good amount of weight as well and that's helping.

It's hard to tell through translation what he's referring to in these messages, but given that he's back and working again I think he's just recounting the shit he went through. Probably mostly because of all the criticisms he gets for being on hiatus so often. Maybe Im being too optimistic.

Permanently A

Also I find it incredibly exciting that Dark Continent is considered A rank difficulty by Netero. I mean, even Mereum was considered only B rank, and they had to drop Netero and a fucking nuke on him to win. I mean what are they even supposed to do against A rank enemies?

Don Freecs must be a goddamn monster.

vypek

Oh, the black guy who fed his bomb to a worm thing right? I totally forgot about him. Did they show Chrollo meeting up with him or is it just your theory?

I can't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure he leaves greed island with the spiders/hisoka

Good enough for me. Cool to see him back in action. He definitely has the most intricate ability in the series thus far. This fight is gonna fucking deliver.

Yeah, he does leave to head straight to the other spiders so he can get to Chrollo. They never show them meeting up at all though. I think the audience is just supposed to know that the spiders were looking for a nen eraser, a nen eraser was found, the nen eraser went with the others.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Maybe Don Freecs just has an extremely useful ability that allows him to just be able to document and not interact with anything (or be interacted with). I'm sure he's strong though.

Also, chapter was dope. Hisoka was getting it in, but unfortunately against a copy. At least he got some real damage in there with the "headbutt". This battle is super deep.

ampere

This battle is peak HxH form. I'm impressed after how boring some of the in-between chapters in this arc have been for me.

Always loved the really involved fights, especially stuff like the dodge ball game on Greed Island.

Top Bottom