• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Daingurse

I can't believe what we are seeing... so many chapters already, consistently, with such good art. Please keep going and please continue the anime!!

it's a great time to be alive. Reading Hunter x Hunter is something I look forward to greatly each week, and is easily the highlight of my Thursdays. Keep it up Togashi!

cLOUDo

Volume 33

GbUXQ7c.jpg

Reddit says June 3rd. Not sure if that's accurate or not.

i was expecting a ging/pariston cover, but that is a good cover

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Latest Togashi author comment from English Jump:
"The doctor has recommended that I lose weight. I'm targeting 65 kg, which was my weight in my thirties when I never had these problems"

A much more positive comment this week.

Kieli

"The doctor has recommended that I lose weight. I'm targeting 65 kg, which was my weight in my thirties when I never had these problems"

It feels good to be heavier than Togashi.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

So he wants to be about 150. Makes me wonder what he's at now.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Togashi's height is low, even for a japanese male. I have an old Jump (from 93 or so) with a picture of all Jump mangaka at the time, side by side, and he was one of the smallest.

But you should see his Nen usage, masterful

Moaradin

This fight has been absolutely insane. Togashi comes back from his 2 year hiatus and immediately shows every other shonen how it's done.

Jigolo

I haven't downloaded the magazine yet but nice. Glad he's working on getting healthy

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This fight has been absolutely insane. Togashi comes back from his 2 year hiatus and immediately shows every other shonen how it's done.

It makes me so happy he's taking better care of himself. If he could get healthy maybe he could publish on a regular basis, not every week but maybe twice a week or monthly?

Jigolo

It makes me so happy he's taking better care of himself. If he could get healthy maybe he could publish on a regular basis, not every week but maybe twice a week or monthly?
Y'all keep saying this without realizing it's been 5 straight with no sign of slowing. Togashi is getting better

yami4ct

Y'all keep saying this without realizing it's been 5 straight with no sign of slowing. Togashi is getting better

I have good hope that he's gotten better enough and now has enough help that he can keep some sort of regular schedule going long term.

I don't think this is the end of hiatuses, I've been scarred too much, but I do think we'll see them less often and they won't be near as long as that last one.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

The last couple of times he did enough to publish a new volume or two and then went back on hiatus. I hope you're right, but until he's published for six months straight I'm not going to get my hopes up.

HStallion

Have you ever saw Hisoka's glowing...lust...and wonder, damn I want a figure of Hisoka with his glowing crotch!

Well you're in luck!

IrUEM9B.jpg

http://p-bandai.hk/bandaiasiawebshop/item-1100003832

It's Premium Bandai though so it's a bit pricey. But hey!

It should have a sensor and do sound effects when you walk by it as well as lighting up his crotch. Just have him do that happy moan he does when coming across a true challenge.

LogicStep

I like Hisoka more but I really like Chrollo too. This fight has been amazing. Why can't other shonen be like this. It's not like I'm an anime connoisseur but I've watched quite a few and nothing touches Hunter. I discovered it when the 2011 anime came out and since then I've held the opinion that this is the best out there. The whole nen thing is too perfect. I really like one piece and the fruits also provides a lot of variety but Hunter is so much better in every way, one piece wins in comedy. But nen has to be the most perfect system.

HStallion

So I was going through the Hisoka V Chrollo fight that we have so far in anticipation of the next chapter and it made me realize something. Now this might just something that was mentioned by a character and was solved off screen but it involves the Nen exorcist and him removing Kurapika's chain from around Chrollo's heart.

We saw how his powers worked on Greed Island when he was forced to create a Nen beast to neutralize and contain the nen bomb placed on him like the mad bomber. His ability being able to remove Nen from someone by summoning a Nen beast or monster equal in strength and power to the Nen being removed. The larger and stronger the Nen. the bigger the Nen Beast.

He removes the Mad Bomber's Nen but the monster sticks with him because all it did was contain the Nen and stop it from activating, basically nullifying its effects but in return the person is stuck with a Nen beast that tags along with them, seemingly hanging off their body in the case of the one used on the Nen bomb. The only way the Nen bomb was able to be removed was when he performed the proper steps as set up by the mad bomber to remove the Nen and thus dismiss the Nen Beast.

If the same Nen exorcist removed Chrollo's Nen shouldn't he be dragging a Nen beast around with him and a huge one consider how powerful Kurapika's chains were? Maybe this is something important for the current battle or maybe its sweeped under the rug or perhaps I just noticed the obvious answer to this question while reading. What does everyone think?

Kieli

I'm scared because the art has been a bit too detailed.

Give me chicken scratches, because we all ultimately read HxH for the plots.

Slaythe

So I was going through the Hisoka V Chrollo fight that we have so far in anticipation of the next chapter and it made me realize something. Now this might just something that was mentioned by a character and was solved off screen but it involves the Nen exorcist and him removing Kurapika's chain from around Chrollo's heart.

We saw how his powers worked on Greed Island when he was forced to create a Nen beast to neutralize and contain the nen bomb placed on him like the mad bomber. His ability being able to remove Nen from someone by summoning a Nen beast or monster equal in strength and power to the Nen being removed. The larger and stronger the Nen. the bigger the Nen Beast.

He removes the Mad Bomber's Nen but the monster sticks with him because all it did was contain the Nen and stop it from activating, basically nullifying its effects but in return the person is stuck with a Nen beast that tags along with them, seemingly hanging off their body in the case of the one used on the Nen bomb. The only way the Nen bomb was able to be removed was when he performed the proper steps as set up by the mad bomber to remove the Nen and thus dismiss the Nen Beast.

If the same Nen exorcist removed Chrollo's Nen shouldn't he be dragging a Nen beast around with him and a huge one consider how powerful Kurapika's chains were? Maybe this is something important for the current battle or maybe its sweeped under the rug or perhaps I just noticed the obvious answer to this question while reading. What does everyone think?

Except once Kurapika's chain is removed, Chrollo has infinite amount of possibilities to get rid of the beast.

If there was a beast at all.

If the nen monster took it away, then it's simple, Chrollo could have asked shizuku or used indoor fish to get rid of the creature.

HStallion

Except once Kurapika's chain is removed, Chrollo has infinite amount of possibilities to get rid of the beast.

If there was a beast at all.

1) He went East, maybe he found someone else.

2) If the nen monster took it away, then it's simple, Chrollo could have asked shizuku or used indoor fish to get rid of the creature.

Well as I understood it there is always a Nen Beast as its specifically summoned to devour the Nen but it sticks around after the fact till the Nen is properly removed which would require Kurapika to release it himself and even then I'm not sure its possible to remove once its been activated. The beast is equivalent in strength/power/whatever to the Nen removed so it would have to be fairly tough even for the Spiders and I doubt it'd be as easy as Chrollo just pulling a power out of his book or having one of his subordinates do it, otherwise they would have just removed the chain in the first place.

I see it as the Nen Beast basically nullifies the effects of the Nen but it doesn't actually remove it, it just changes form and doesn't hurt or harm you anymore but still exists, now as a monster.

Of course Chrollo could have used another Nen exorcist but this is specifically if he used the one from Greed Island.

Slaythe

Well as I understood it there is always a Nen Beast as its specifically summoned to devour the Nen but it sticks around after the fact till the Nen is properly removed which would require Kurapika to release it himself and even then I'm not sure its possible to remove once its been activated. The beast is equivalent in strength/power/whatever to the Nen removed so it would have to be fairly tough even for the Spiders and I doubt it'd be as easy as Chrollo just pulling a power out of his book or having one of his subordinates do it, otherwise they would have just removed the chain in the first place.

I see it as the Nen Beast basically nullifies the effects of the Nen but it doesn't actually remove it, it just changes form and doesn't hurt or harm you anymore but still exists, now as a monster.

Of course Chrollo could have used another Nen exorcist but this is specifically if he used the one from Greed Island.

Well, first of all, don't discard Chrollo's abilities from his book.

He has several, not because they aren't powerful, but because he stole them.

Maybe since, as you said, the curse is moved on to the monster,

1) enhanced sun and moon could blow it up/ get rid of both, thanks to the death of the owner

2) He did not get rid of the monster. He used Owl's ability and has it in his pocket permanently. There, solved.

HStallion

Well, first of all, don't discard Chrollo's abilities from his book.

He has several, not because they aren't powerful, but because he stole them.

Maybe since, as you said, the curse is moved on to the monster,

1) enhanced sun and moon could blow it up/ get rid of both, thanks to the death of the owner

2) He did not get rid of the monster. He used Owl's ability and has it in his pocket permanently. There, solved.

Oh I'm not discounting the the second option or even the first but I figure Kurapika's chain is some pretty epic Nen, even his other chains are pretty devastating against the spiders so it can't just be blown up or brute force methods. I guess I just wouldn't put it past Togashi to hang onto a fact like that and use it to specifically spice up a battle of this crazy.

remz

I feel like maybe the exorcist is carrying the Nen beast? It's hard to say because last time he was exorcising himself.

Slaythe

Oh I'm not discounting the the second option or even the first but I figure Kurapika's chain is some pretty epic Nen, even his other chains are pretty devastating against the spiders so it can't just be blown up or brute force methods. I guess I just wouldn't put it past Togashi to hang onto a fact like that and use it to specifically spice up a battle of this crazy.

Well, if Sun and Moon remained an ability after death, it's safe to assume it's stronger than Kurapika's nen while he is alive.

As for option 2, come to think of it, the cloth would disappear as soon as he switches abilities.

Maybe he can just teleport the monster far away, and everytime the monster tries to crawl back.

HStallion

Well, if Sun and Moon remained an ability after death, it's safe to assume it's stronger than Kurapika's nen while he is alive.

As for option 2, come to think of it, the cloth would disappear as soon as he switches abilities.

Maybe he can just teleport the monster far away, and everytime the monster tries to crawl back.

Well one of the reason I even started thinking about it was the fact that I had the idea while rereading the last couple of chapters that maybe we haven't seen the real Chrollo at all yet and the only one's Hisoka has seen in the arena so far are just more copies controlled from afar. Then I wondered if maybe it weren't just to stay away from Hisoka but because he had some sort of weakness and of course my mind jumped to the Nen Beast. This is a guy who took on both Killua's father and grandfather at once even if it was never intended to be a fight to the bloody end. Perhaps he's saddled with some very burdensome Nen Beast and doesn't want Hisoka aware. All total speculation by the way!

Slaythe

Except that's not possible because none of his copies are able to use his various abilities.

And we have witnessed the use of many abilities, both from a reader's perspective and from hisoka's perspective.

It would be very amateurish to deceive the reader like that while Togashi is a master at it.

remz

I'm still wondering how Chrollo
blew up hisoka's hand
last chapter.

The obvious thing is that it's some combination of sun and moon and the mind control phone. Like maybe the dead body had it's seal triggered which also caused the head to explode. If you see him before it happens, he's talking on Shalnark's phone thing, IIRC though whenever shalnark is using that skill to control someone he does it as if he's playing a mobile game- pressing on the buttons not talking. Futhermore, shalnark's ability only works while stuff is alive, cuz when his mafia puppet dies he's like "oh it broke" and he stop shooting. So what was chrollo doing with the phone and who was he talking to?

When the Nen remover did that, I was never sure it it meant the remover or the person who had it removed would be carrying the burden, as that guy was both at the time.

For some reason, I thought the remover guy would have to wear the nen beast again and that's partly what he was being paid for.

Also, I also though that since Kurapica nen chain was tied to a condition, that once it was removed and made a nen beast, you could break the condition and the beast would just die since IMO it wouldn't kill you since it's not a chain anymore.

Slaythe

Well the bomb clearly was eaten away.

I don't think Chrollo would be subject to Kurapica's chain ever again.

The beast would just permanently follow him around.

Which he could either blow up with the sun and moon post death, teleport far away, use owl's ability then have Shizuku swallow it...

See, this is why I hope Hisoka loses (I don't care if he dies or not).

Chrollo is so fascinating and full of potential.

The same convo with Hisoka would have only one answer : "bungee gum"....

edit :

It is entirely possible that Chrollo stole the ability to remove nen. Once he closes his book, the creature would vanish, alongside the curse. This wouldn't work if Kurapica was dead. But alive ? That's the exact kind of loophole Chrollo has been showcased to use.

remz

It is entirely possible that Chrollo stole the ability to remove nen. Once he closes his book, the creature would vanish, alongside the curse. This wouldn't work if Kurapica was dead. But alive ? That's the exact kind of loophole Chrollo has been showcased to use.

It wouldn't work that way. I imagine it would stay around after the book is closed just like sun and moon does

Slaythe

It wouldn't work that way. I imagine it would stay around after the book is closed just like sun and moon does

Well no.

Chrollo said the only ability that does not disappear is sun and moon, because of the death of the owner.

It is therefore entirely possible that he can use a loophole of the nen removal ability with his book.

Erigu

Apparently, volume 33 just confirmed a popular fan theory:
there's an illustration of Alluka (... well, "Nanika") saying "ai, I'm from the dark continent"

remz

there's an illustration of Alluka (... well, "Nanika") saying "ai, I'm from the dark continent"

AAAA! I fucking knew it.
I wonder if viz are going to keep her phrase as 'kay instead of aye (ai) :O

HStallion

Going by rumors in the next chapter
a third party will show themselves out of nowhere with neither party expecting them to intervene, no clue who or what it is

I mean it was basically all but confirmed. Way too much evidence down going towards it. I was hoping this wouldn't get revealed for a while though, I was hoping to go without Alluka/Killua for an arc or two. Maybe that's still the case and its just a small appearance!

Daingurse

I had no doubt that this was true. During my re-read of the Election Arc, I noticed so many hints.

SoulUnison

Banned

That's... bizarre.

It makes it sounds like something that just gets randomly, casually revealed in a footnote or on an "Ask the Editor" page.

"Hinter x Hunter will return next week and by the way did you know Gon is actually a 60 year old man and a robot? See ya next time!"

Kieli

Uh... was it ever a surprise?

I thought the Ai/Alluka stuff was super obvious. Like, didn't even register to me it was just fan theory.

Top Bottom