• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
So, I was looking to buying the HxH Blu-ray here, but the first volume only has 13 episodes for $50! That's so disappointing. I want to support the series here in the US, but 13 episodes per volume is a deal breaker!

Mael

Those are interesting details. Though it kind of points back to my original complaint. There are a series of detailed rules but everything doesn't lock in place at best and seems contradictory at worst, because of small unseen details we can't or don't know. I'm not saying all the mechanics of a fight should be rock solid (as a lot of the fun comes from filling in the blanks with your own thoughts) but with such a strong focus on what can or can't be done, having what appears to be contradictions sticks out very sharply.

I think Togashi has a detailed set of rules he seems to abide by (although interview may contradict this).
I'm not saying it's perfect, this fight was incredibly hard to follow if you wanted to make sense of what Kuroro was doing

Plus, what's up with this Chrollo wasn't fighting alone theory. Somehow the rest of the Spider Troupe were in the crowd and using Gallery Fake and Black Voice after Chrollo returned their powers to them. I'm not buying it.
For Gallery fake, he only needed to tore the page to give back the ability so it's prpobably gone now that Korutopi is dead.
For Black Voice, we don't know if he tore up the page or not. But the phone has to be given back as Charlnalk used his nen through the phone.
We know it's a physical regular phone because he's been using it as a regular phone (and materialisation can never make an object as good as an existing object anyway) and even had other people use it (on top of that Kuroro was asked to give it back so it's an object not a skill). If it was materialised other probably couldn't use it the way they did during the Yorkshin arc or the ant arc.
For the antennas it seems likely that there can be more produced (or maybe only someone like Ging is able to pull off that infusing nen to random objects without any problem).
And the whole Troupe fighting with Kuroro is more of a figure of speech.
Black Voice is not Kuroro's, like Gallery fake.
In a way Kuroro could use the combined strength of the Troupe against Hisoka.
It's pretty damn rare to have a skill survive death so it's likely that what happened with SunMoon won't happen again with the Troupe.

Dr.Hadji

There aren't really any contradictions or problems with the fight. It's done from Hisoka's pov, so information lacking throughout is to be expected. Everything that needs to be revealed to make perfect sense is done so by the end of the fight, including Black Voice's equipment (Chrollo calls him afterwards to let him know he has the cell and can give it back but lost the antennas, so they are not part of the ability itself). Part of the problem for some people might be reading fan translations instead of official too.

No idea what the theory at the bottom is about either, I don't think I ever heard that uttered during discussions previously.

Whether or not the pins are real or manifestations of nen, during the activation and use of Sun and Moon the referee wouldn't have been controlled. Going from a page open on Black Voice to a bookmarked S&M would have required BV to be dispelled. S&M basically needs to be first in the queue and seeing as BV is first in line it needs to be thrown out (canceled).

So at what pointed was the referee not being controlled? I know it seems like a little detail, but it's part of the foundation of the entire fight.

Mael

Whether or not the pins are real or manifestations of nen, during the activation and use of Sun and Moon the referee wouldn't have been controlled. Going from a page open on Black Voice to a bookmarked S&M would have required BV to be dispelled. S&M basically needs to be first in the queue and seeing as BV is first in line it needs to be thrown out (canceled).

So at what pointed was the referee not being controlled? I know it seems like a little detail, but it's part of the foundation of the entire fight.

You mean at the start of the match?
the pin is at the back of the head, he could have removed the antenna, activated Sun/Moon and voila.
In 1 instant the referee wouldn't be controlled by BV but Hisoka is pining him down and killing him anyway.
Or even better, while BV is activated, slip the bookmark at SunMoon page, activate one hand, change hand and activate the other and put a bow on the present to Hisoka.
BV is never deactivated because it's still open at the pag for BV during the whole thing.

Chrollo and Hisoka are fighting and Hisoka is using severed heads as a weapon, this is fucking insane. "EVEN MY LEFT HAND CAN BE MOLDED OUT OF RUBBER" what the fucking motherfucking shit-tastic fuck. I guess all one really needs is motherfucking rubber fucking NEN, this some Araki bullshit. Now it just seems like a mad dash between Kurapika and Hisoka to kill some spiders, what the fucks even going to be left for Kurapika to kill?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Chrollo and Hisoka are fighting and Hisoka is using severed heads as a weapon, this is fucking insane. "EVEN MY LEFT HAND CAN BE MOLDED OUT OF RUBBER" what the fucking motherfucking shit-tastic fuck. I guess all one really needs is motherfucking rubber fucking NEN, this some Araki bullshit. Now it just seems like a mad dash between Kurapika and Hisoka to kill some spiders, what the fucks even going to be left for Kurapika to kill?

Yeah things were pretty dark and fucked up there with that shot of Shalnark on the swing set.

What did you think of the battle?

remz

Yeah things were pretty dark and fucked up there with that shot of Shalnark on the swing set.

Yeah for real. It was some total slasher movie type shit with the reveal. Hisoka coming back in general reminds me of a slasher movie and I fucking love it. The two current plot threads in the HxH manga are pretty amazingly interesting nd I can't wait to see where it goes.

I didn't really think about Kurapika and Hisoka both wanting to kill spiders though. Do you think pika still has that bloodlust or is he over it now? Probably not considering the whole brooding in a church filled with eyeballs thing

Chrollo had an excellent plan...shit got confusing, but it wouldn't be a Nen battle if it didn't confuse the shit out of you.
Yeah, that explanation of Chrollo's abilities had me looking like Gon with smoke coming out of my ears. I did like how tactical Chrollo was though. He executed wonderfully. I liked how he used the restriction of Sun/Moon to overcome the weakness of another ability. Good stuff all around and it helped put into perspective how strong Hisoka and Chrollo are. Well, until Hisoka got the power boost anyway lol. Chrollo is dangerous though. With prep, as in the case of this battle, it becomes realllly tough.

Daingurse

Chrollo and Hisoka are fighting and Hisoka is using severed heads as a weapon, this is fucking insane. "EVEN MY LEFT HAND CAN BE MOLDED OUT OF RUBBER" what the fucking motherfucking shit-tastic fuck.

Bahhaha. How about that "Human Hammer" Jaded? Hisoka is a complete savage. That "technique" made me look at Hisoka very differently. Getting touched by his nen is a fucking death sentence. But man, Chrollo was absolutely overwhelming! 100% certainty of victory, he was not bullshiting!

Yeah, that explanation of Chrollo's abilities had me looking like Gon with smoke coming out of my ears. I did like how tactical Chrollo was though. He executed wonderfully. I liked how he used the restriction of Sun/Moon to overcome the weakness of another ability. Good stuff all around and it helped put into perspective how strong Hisoka and Chrollo are. Well, until Hisoka got the power boost anyway lol. Chrollo is dangerous though. With prep, as in the case of this battle, it becomes realllly tough.
Yeah I kind of thought Hisoka was mid tier cause he was revealed so damn early, but he's fucking legit, same with Chrollo. They're not Chimera Ant OP, I think, but they're dangerous as fuck. Which makes you wonder what Zeno and Silva are really like since I don't think they've ever been shown to go all out like that before either. If I'm not mistaken they fought Chrollo to a stand still?
Bahhaha. How about that "Human Hammer" Jaded? Hisoka is a complete savage. That "technique" made me look at Hisoka very differently. Getting touched by his nen is a fucking death sentence. But man, Chrollo was absolutely overwhelming! 100% certainty of victory, he was not bullshiting!
That fight did not fuck around, I loved it, probably read it too quickly though. Chrollo pulled some Killer Queen shit on Hisoka though. Fucking Hisoka throwing heads at people and using Bungee Gum to add momentum fucking savage.

zero_suit

That fight did not fuck around, I loved it, probably read it too quickly though. Chrollo pulled some Killer Queen shit on Hisoka though. Fucking Hisoka throwing heads at people and using Bungee Gum to add momentum fucking savage.

It was great seeing Hisoka take a giant L. He was overconfident, and his improvisation did not work this time.

It was great seeing Hisoka take a giant L. He was overconfident, and his improvisation did not work this time.
I would assume Hisoka hasn't fought a person as experienced and prep savvy to the extent that Chrollo was. He couldn't just out think Chrollo and Chrollo seemed like he's wanted Hisoka dead for a good amount of time. It didn't seem like spur of the moment shit for Chrollo. It's like he went to Heaven's Tower with the plan in mind to kill Hisoka.

Yeah I kind of thought Hisoka was mid tier cause he was revealed so damn early, but he's fucking legit, same with Chrollo. They're not Chimera Ant OP, I think, but they're dangerous as fuck. Which makes you wonder what Zeno and Silva are really like since I don't think they've ever been shown to go all out like that before either. If I'm not mistaken they fought Chrollo to a stand still?
Right, I don't see them as that sort of threat either (top Chimera Ant tier) but they should not be underestimated under any circumstances. They are fucking dangerous. Chrollo being able to even tussle with Zeno and Silva at the same time speaks to how dangerous he is. Which in turn makes you consider what an all out Zeno and Silva looks like. Silva may even be somewhat on par with a serious Netero.

I would assume Hisoka hasn't fought a person as experienced and prep savvy to the extent that Chrollo was. He couldn't just out think Chrollo and Chrollo seemed like he's wanted Hisoka dead for a good amount of time. It didn't seem like spur of the moment shit for Chrollo. It's like he went to Heaven's Tower with the plan in mind to kill Hisoka.
Yeah, Hisoka had been following Chrollo for a while so Chrollo was like, "Fuck it. I'm killing the clown". The abilities he chose, where the battle took place, etc... Chrollo mapped it all out and it was just too much for Hisoka to handle. Hisoka bite off more than he could chew. Granted, it did make me think that a "out of nowhere let's fight right now" type of fight would be more in Hisoka's favor but, as I said above, Chrollo should not be underestimated so he could probably still win in that situation too.

Right, I don't see them as that sort of threat either (top Chimera Ant tier) but they should not be underestimated under any circumstances. They are fucking dangerous. Chrollo being able to even tussle with Zeno and Silva at the same time speaks to how dangerous he is. Which in turn makes you consider what an all out Zeno and Silva looks like. Silva may even be somewhat on par with a serious Netero.

Yeah, Hisoka had been following Chrollo for a while so Chrollo was like, "Fuck it. I'm killing the clown". The abilities he chose, where the battle took place, etc... Chrollo mapped it all out and it was just too much for Hisoka to handle. Hisoka bite off more than he could chew. Granted, it did make me think that a "out of nowhere let's fight right now" type of fight would be more in Hisoka's favor but, as I said above, Chrollo should not be underestimated so he could probably still win in that situation too.
I actually like how HxH doesn't have some obscene bullshit power creep like some other Shonens. Pretty much if you're dangerous as fuck in episode 30 you're still dangerous as fuck at the end, it's nicely handled. Nobody turns into a god damn Piccolo, which makes me want to see Kurapika fight another spider, dude's nothing more than a human lie detector currently. I guess that's the price he pays for cheating the system a bit.

Radec

Hisoka also did not expect Chrollo to use Shalnark and Coltoppi's powers as well. Which gave Chrollo a huge ass advantage on their fight.

It was over before the fight even begin.

Hisoka also did not expect Chrollo to use Shalnark and Coltoppi's powers as well. Which gave Chrollo a huge ass advantage on their fight.

It was over before the fight even begin.
Doesn't Chrollo being essentially a Nen rolodex make him broken as fuck?

Yes, which is why I think Chrollo would have beaten Hisoka in a neutral area too.
He just would've chosen a different ability set that didn't rely on overwhelming Hisoka with crowds and hit and run tactics, would've been interesting to see what he would've used too. I wonder if Chrollo has any Feitan abilities in that giant ass book.

Philippo

He just would've chosen a different ability set that didn't rely on overwhelming Hisoka with crowds and hit and run tactics, would've been interesting to see what he would've used too. I wonder if Chrollo has any Feitan abilities in that giant ass book.

Chrollo is HxH's Batman, he relies on prep time.
If Hisoka ambushed him randomly, things might have turned out much differently.

No, with prep, Chrollo is Batman.

With the poison knife and fun fun cloth? Lol, Kuroro took a serious beating there, the Zoldyeks are the real thing. Too bad that amazing fight was smoke and mirrors after all.
Lol, I guess I was just impressed that he survived since half the time when you fuck up during a Nen fight you're fucking dead unless you're fighting Gon...usually. I also really need to rewatch that fight with Chrollo, Zeno and Silva. I want to watch the OVA version, but the OVA has the weirdest god damn intro to the whole thing unless ep 1 was mislabeled. Now I'm just remembering how Silva took out Cheetu and it's still fucking hilarious. If Cheetu was that fucking easy to kill than why didn't Morel do it?

Shinriji

Now I'm just remembering how Silva took out Cheetu and it's still fucking hilarious. If Cheetu was that fucking easy to kill than why didn't Morel do it?

Morau just wanted to get out of that hourglass and help with the palace invasion. Cheetu was incredible dumb as well (creating a nen bowgun was super LOL), so he wasn't a threat. Now, Morau have some reasons to kill Hagya, and he did it without much effort.

Morau just wanted to get out of that hourglass and help with the palace invasion. Cheetu was incredible dumb as well (creating a nen bowgun was super LOL), so he wasn't a threat. Now, Morau have some reasons to kill Hagya, and he did it without much effort.
That fight had the most hilarious what the fuck conclusion. Fucking smoke weed e'ry day smoke boat and killing a guy with stagnant church air. Why did Cheetu, a dude faster than everybody except probably god speed Killua and Meruem even need a long range weapon?

HStallion

That fight had the most hilarious what the fuck conclusion. Fucking smoke weed e'ry day smoke boat and killing a guy with stagnant church air. Why did Cheetu, a dude faster than everybody except probably god speed Killua and Meruem even need a long range weapon?

He was basically a moron. Even with all his incredible skills he just fucked around and wanted to show off. Any time he met a real opponent he couldn't steam roll with his speed he fucked up.

Mael

Cheetu was proven to be incredibly stupid times and again.
outside of running he's really not good.
Was even trolled by Pufu when he was given his skill.

Also as far as human goes, NO ONE can touch Netero. He's literally peak human.
We had a chapter dedicated to how incredibly OP he was 40 years ago for a reason.
I mean he was strong to border on the verge of madness, he's not someone you can fight.
If you look at his skillset and abilities, there's no one that can touch him and he can't be predicted by anyone during a fight.
The King was just that much of a threat.

The Ant arc didn't end in utter disaster because they won when the King accepted to follow Netero. And when we learn about Pariston we do know that there is actually no way the Ants could have won (because that guy would have destroyed the world if need be, like why do you think he even wants to go to the Lost Continent?).

He was basically a moron. Even with all his incredible skills he just fucked around and wanted to show off. Any time he met a real opponent he couldn't steam roll with his speed he fucked up.
Makes you wonder what kind of person he was when he was human. Probably just some douche slacker.
Cheetu was proven to be incredibly stupid times and again.
outside of running he's really not good.
Was even trolled by Pufu when he was given his skill.

Also as far as human goes, NO ONE can touch Netero. He's literally peak human.
We had a chapter dedicated to how incredibly OP he was 40 years ago for a reason.
I mean he was strong to border on the verge of madness, he's not someone you can fight.
If you look at his skillset and abilities, there's no one that can touch him and he can't be predicted by anyone during a fight.
The King was just that much of a threat.

The Ant arc didn't end in utter disaster because they won when the King accepted to follow Netero. And when we learn about Pariston we do know that there is actually no way the Ants could have won (because that guy would have destroyed the world if need be, like why do you think he even wants to go to the Lost Continent?).
I can not possibly imagine a conversation between Pariston and Meruem...Now I'm picturing Pouf and Pariston talking, kill me now. Since Netero is peak human I guess him noticing the potential in Killua and Gon is a compliment for the two of them. I guess when you run around curb stomping people you notice quality.

RR30

I can't wait until we see what any of the Zodiacs, but especially Pariston and Ging can do in battle. Come back soon Togashi 😢.

I can't wait until we see what any of the Zodiacs, but especially Pariston and Ging can do in battle. Come back soon Togashi 😢.
Ging only fought using Leorio's skill, which was interesting. I'm still convinced Pariston just talks people to death.

HStallion

We have seen Ging fight but it wasn't using his own Nen abilities. He's got such a mastery of Nen that he can just recreate other people's abilities after seeing them and having them used on himself. He's like Chrollo without the book limitation and we haven't even seen what he can do with his own personalized abilities which I'm betting are rather devastating.

We have seen Ging fight but it wasn't using his own Nen abilities. He's got such a mastery of Nen that he can just recreate other people's abilities after seeing them and having them used on himself. He's like Chrollo without the book limitation and we haven't even seen what he can do with his own personalized abilities which I'm betting are rather devastating.
Wait so he's an even more OP version of fucking Chrollo? God damn.

HStallion

Wait so he's an even more OP version of fucking Chrollo? God damn.

He just know's the innerworkings of Nen so well that he can recreate other people's Nen abilities after witnessing and experiencing them. Netero didn't call him top 5 Nen user for no reason.

vypek

He can only recreate emission moves as an emission type, right?

Or is it supposed to be that the mastery makes it so he can simulate any kind of nen ability?

I hope this series comes back soon. Miss it a lot.

HStallion

So if he saw Gon transform he'd be able to replicate that as well?

Its possible but I'd say probably not considering the very very dark and personal space that power up came from. I think Ging would have to be in a very similar mindset to actually pull off what Gon did. Gon wasn't even pushing himself for a one time power up, he was actually totally fine with dying then and there as long as it meant he had the power to kill Pitou in the process.

Much the same I would say Ging wouldn't be able to copy Netero's Nen ability either because of the insane amount of time, effort and focus that took Netero to achieve it in the first place.

Kyuur

He mentioned it was specific to 'strike-type' abilities, which are probably among the most simple ones in HxH. I would be impressed if he could copy something like Knuckle's Potclean, which is sort of a 'strike' ability but relies heavily on conjuration as well. Not even remotely comparable to Chrollo, who can copy even Specialist abilities.

Doesn't make it any less cool, just a bit of hyperbole.

He mentioned it was specific to 'strike-type' abilities, which are probably among the most simple ones in HxH. I would be impressed if he could copy something like Knuckle's Potclean, which is sort of a 'strike' ability but relies heavily on conjuration as well. Not even remotely comparable to Chrollo, who can copy even Specialist abilities.

Doesn't make it any less cool, just a bit of hyperbole.
Something tells me that if Ging manifested an APR stand it would look like a hobo.
Its possible but I'd say probably not considering the very very dark and personal space that power up came from. I think Ging would have to be in a very similar mindset to actually pull off what Gon did. Gon wasn't even pushing himself for a one time power up, he was actually totally fine with dying then and there as long as it meant he had the power to kill Pitou in the process.

Much the same I would say Ging wouldn't be able to copy Netero's Nen ability either because of the insane amount of time, effort and focus that took Netero to achieve it in the first place.
Yeah this makes sense. Why would Ging even bother with doing that since he'd have to suffer the pain of loss and Ging just doesn't seem to give a shit about anything that much. Nor does he have Gon's child like ignorance.

RR30

That wasn't a real fight though. It was Pariston trying to get Ging to show his abilities where he just showed how much of a genius he was versus fodder.

I want to see them in a real fight. Maybe in the DC.

His ability isn't likely as OP as Chrollo's, but he has much better physical attributes.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That wasn't a real fight though. It was Pariston trying to get Ging to show his abilities where he just showed how much of a genius he was versus fodder.

His ability isn't likely as OP as Chrollo's, but he has much better physical attributes.

Maybe he can copy the last nen ability he's seen.

HStallion

If we ever make it to the DC I'm actually excited to see if Don Freeces is still around for real because that guy would have been in the DC for 300 years. He's got to be an absolute monster or have the most insane Nen power.

I wonder if the Dark Continent ends up becoming the next Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Some OP shit is coming just spend three weeks on the Dark Continent to get your next plot relevant power boost.

HStallion

I wonder if the Dark Continent ends up becoming the next Hyperbolic Time Chamber. Some OP shit is coming just spend three weeks on the Dark Continent to get your next plot relevant power boost.

I'd enjoy a time skip to see an older Gon and Killua. That and hopefully Togashi could pull it off without all the shit that most other mangaka run into when they do a time skip.

I'd enjoy a time skip to see an older Gon and Killua. That and hopefully Togashi could pull it off without all the shit that most other mangaka run into when they do a time skip.
You are not the only one. Those two in there primes would be menacing, Killua would most likely look like a younger Silva...which I actually find interesting since out of the kids he's the only one with grey hair, the rest look like their mother. Which probably means the Zeno, Silva genes are recessive or something, but the stronger genes. I would hope an older Gon actually learns to apply some god damn logic to his fights. Don't get me wrong, Gon thinks, but it's too much on non lateral basis, he ain't going to be playing that Chrollo speed chess any time soon or ever.

RR30

Maybe he can copy the last nen ability he's seen.

I don't think his ability has anything to do with copying techniques. I think he said he can copy strike type nen abilities because he is a genius. I don't know if Togashi will have two people have such similar abilities. Especially main characters.

So many things are exciting heading into the DC. How the PT reacts when they find out Hisoka killed two of their members should be interesting. They absolutely obliterated the mafia when Kurapika killed one member. They know who did this and will be very upset.

Top Bottom