• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hunter x Hunter Community Thread - OSU!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hisoka can go fuck himself.

Can't wait to see angered spiders going after him.

Feitan is gonna literally tear him apart.

He is basically becoming the Nen man though. With just his Bungee Gum, which has the properties of both rubber and gum, and his texture surprise he basically rebuilt his entire leg and gave himself new skin. I could see him becoming something like a Nen beast if he keeps going down this path. Or something along those lines.

HStallion

I've been rewatching parts of the anime and just once more got to the part in the Chimera Ant arc where Gon of course goes Super Gon or whatever you want to call his transformation and the thought came to me, imagine if Hisoka had seen Gon in that form. The Schwing would have shook have shook the heavens.

Also the scene where Gon is charging his Jajaken before punching Pitou across the entire forest after her free fall they are basically riffing hard off the soundtrack from 2001 A Space Odyssey during the "Stargate" sequence at the end of the movie.

Jigolo

sePYRZl.jpg

zKgxGAc.jpg

Xe6zNZ3.jpg

HStallion

That was a pretty meaty interview. Just nice to hear Togashi talking about something other than feeling like shit all the time hah. Some of those answers are fairly unsurprising. Togashi saying he likes flawed characters and putting characters in situations to get an intense reaction out of them was funny considering some of the more intense moments in HxH. Also them actually talking about powers and Togashi saying you should stockpile "abilities" to give your characters and not wasting good ones on throw away characters was fairly hilarious.

HStallion

I'm hoping that in the final interview they are like,"So when might we see some new chapters of Hunter x Hunter?" and we get a surprise,"Next week!" from Togashi. A man can dream at least.

HStallion

Seems like Ging wants to go to the Dark Continent and I find it funny that Togashi goes out of his way to accurately draw Ging whenever he's on the page.

Maybe Ging will go totally nuts when they finally get to the Dark Continent like Acacia did in Toriko and try to win back worst dad in manga award.

HStallion

Is it weird that I like Ging more than Pariston? Lol at Kurapika's goons that thought they could just beat up Cow.
giphy.gif

I think you're supposed to hate Pariston, he is the rat member of the zodiacs. Hell his name is Pariston Hill, I remember guffawing when I heard that.

I think you're supposed to hate Pariston, he is the rat member of the zodiacs. Hell his name is Pariston Hill, I remember guffawing when I heard that.
For like five eps during the Election arc I kept reading his name as Pariston Hilton. Kurapika sure is moody these days. "I don't want to join your mission." "But we found a source of red eyes." "Sure I'll do it."
I don't think I'd want to travel to the Dark Continent. Looks like nothing but a bunch of Miura inspired craziness...
Lol on the next page they have the Spice Worm from Dune eating a fucking dinosaur!!!!
I wonder if Don Freecs was a shitty dad too.

HStallion

For like five eps during the Election arc I kept reading his name as Pariston Hilton. Kurapika sure is moody these days. "I don't want to join your mission." "But we found a source of red eyes." "Sure I'll do it."
I don't think I'd want to travel to the Dark Continent. Looks like nothing but a bunch of Miura inspired craziness...

Lol on the next page they have the Spice Worm from Dune eating a fucking dinosaur!!!!
I wonder if Don Freecs was a shitty dad too.

Yeah Togashi has talked about how he wants to start drawing more crazy shit and monsters and such and it shows. I'm hoping the pace does pick up with releases as I really want to see what the Dark Continent holds as its always explained as the most crazy dangerous place ever and just looking at that spread only seems to confirm it.

Also isn't Don Freecs still alive and sending reports from the DC? Dude must make Netero look weak if he can survive over there or he has the most ridiculous Nen power ever.

Yeah Togashi has talked about how he wants to start drawing more crazy shit and monsters and such and it shows. I'm hoping the pace does pick up with releases as I really want to see what the Dark Continent holds as its always explained as the most crazy dangerous place ever and just looking at that spread only seems to confirm it.

Also isn't Don Freecs still alive and sending reports from the DC? Dude must make Netero look weak if he can survive over there or he has the most ridiculous Nen power ever.
Scary thing is these things are supposed to be stronger than the Chimera Ants. If he's been there for at least 200 years than his power level must be astronomical. Unless his Nen ability is just straight up immortality. Lol at them trying to get Knov to join in on this shit since the Chimera Ants aged him by 40 years and he fucking went bald.

SoulUnison

Banned
Scary thing is these things are supposed to be stronger than the Chimera Ants. If he's been there for at least 200 years than his power level must be astronomical. Unless his Nen ability is just straight up immortality. Lol at them trying to get Knov to join in on this shit since the Chimera Ants aged him by 40 years and he fucking went bald.

Goddammit, Knov, you had so much potential.

I'm still disappointed.

SoulUnison

Banned
Morel was the real deal though

Morel pissed me off for different reasons.
It seemed like any time he showed up the 2011 anime's pacing went to absolute hell.

There's an episode that's literally him standing around thinking of what to do for 20 minutes, and in the end none of it matters anyway.

Daingurse

Sigh, I want to see more of the Dark Continent so badly. It really seems like the Gourmet World from Toriko, but far more nightmarish. I remember just staring at that panel Jaded posted above, and feeling totally immersed in it. That panel is just dense with insanity. Place looks like pure chaos.

Sigh, I want to see more of the Dark Continent so badly. It really seems like the Gourmet World from Toriko, but far more nightmarish. I remember just staring at that panel Jaded posted above, and feeling totally immersed in it. That panel is just dense with insanity. Place looks like pure chaos.
The place has dinosaurs getting eaten by Kaiju and a evil looking Mothra. Why the fuck anybody would want to go there is beyond me. Sounds like suicide unless you have a Nen powered Berserker Armor. That aside that panel is gorgeous. I saw it like a month ago and I just stared at it for like two minute struck by the detail in it. When Togashi actually cares he can draw his ass off with the best of them.

Dr.Hadji

Just finished reading the Chrollo vs Hisoka fight. Overall I enjoyed the fight but mostly in spite of the detailed rules involving the Skill Hunter and the 5 powers.

1. It is explained that essentially, Chrollo can only use two nen powers from the spell book at one time. One from the bookmarked page and one from the open page.

From (1) Hisoka can strategize accordingly.
A. If a Gallery Make clone is running around with an Order Stamp, Hisoka is free from having to worry about getting pinned from a Black Voice.
B. If two people are attacking, being controlled by Black Voice, Hisoka doesn't have to worry about Gallery Makes, The Sun and Moon (or so he thought), or Order Stamp (as there would be nothing to Stamp).
And so on.

2. Then our expectations are flipped on its head when it's revealed that with a Sun hack, Chrollo can essentially use 5 of the 5 powers simultaneously!!

My basic problem is the (2) destroys the need for the complexity set up by (1). Limited by (1) the battle had stages, resets, and push/pull advantages. Unbound by (2) and it's a beat down (something Hisoka acknowledges himself).

(1) had visual representation while (2) relied mostly on keeping the metal gymnastics straight. You could see the pins in the back of the necks of the referee and the two members of the audience. You could see, two sets of identical people (fakes). You could see the nin maker indicating that they were Gallery Makes. You couldn't see the '+' Sun marks on the Gallery Makes. You just had to believe they were there because they couldn't be active during the presence of Black Voice and Convert Hands.

The 1st Sun and Moon reveal kind of breaks all the rules and strategies set up in (1) and the 2nd it betrays the dynamic of space as well. At this point we're living in a (2) kind of world. It's kind of OP but we still have the previously established rules to go by. Order Stamped, Gallery Make, Sun zombies, cool. Black Voice controlling a Moon human, cool. Control Moon human to find Sun body in the arena, cool. Exploding the body also explodes the severed body parts are well? Not cool.

From what I can tell, the Sun Fake hack was done right off the bat (the headless bodies from the first wave of Fakes are still in the arena after fake Chrollo is defeated). So essentially, Chrollo was sand bagging his way through the fight. Which is a neat trick, occupy the reader's brains thinking about Skill Hunter combinations while Chrollo secretly performs the "this isn't even my final form" trick.

One last thing, Chrollo went from Black Voice into Sun and Moon on the referee. A combination that shouldn't work because.....
a. bookmark BV, open page S&M only gives access to Sun seal
b. cancel BV, bookmark S&M place seals, open page to BV re-stick then control

Mael

One last thing, Chrollo went from Black Voice into Sun and Moon on the referee. A combination that shouldn't work because.....
a. bookmark BV, open page S&M only gives access to Sun seal
b. cancel BV, bookmark S&M place seals, open page to BV re-stick then control

We do not know if Black Voice is materialisation or just pure manipulation.
We do know that the phone is a real object so there's a chance that the antenna may be (after all the antenna doesn't disappear even when removed or when BV doesn't work anymore).
If the antenna are real object just imbued with aura you don't need to re-stick the antenna to gain control.
You would only need to activate BV to control the person with the phone.

The Boss could have just stuck the antenna to begin with and controlled the referree only when needed.

Dr.Hadji

We do not know if Black Voice is materialisation or just pure manipulation.
We do know that the phone is a real object so there's a chance that the antenna may be (after all the antenna doesn't disappear even when removed or when BV doesn't work anymore).
If the antenna are real object just imbued with aura you don't need to re-stick the antenna to gain control.
You would only need to activate BV to control the person with the phone.

The Boss could have just stuck the antenna to begin with and controlled the referree only when needed.

Those are interesting details. Though it kind of points back to my original complaint. There are a series of detailed rules but everything doesn't lock in place at best and seems contradictory at worst, because of small unseen details we can't or don't know. I'm not saying all the mechanics of a fight should be rock solid (as a lot of the fun comes from filling in the blanks with your own thoughts) but with such a strong focus on what can or can't be done, having what appears to be contradictions sticks out very sharply.

Plus, what's up with this Chrollo wasn't fighting alone theory. Somehow the rest of the Spider Troupe were in the crowd and using Gallery Fake and Black Voice after Chrollo returned their powers to them. I'm not buying it.

Kyuur

Those are interesting details. Though it kind of points back to my original complaint. There are a series of detailed rules but everything doesn't lock in place at best and seems contradictory at worst, because of small unseen details we can't or don't know. I'm not saying all the mechanics of a fight should be rock solid (as a lot of the fun comes from filling in the blanks with your own thoughts) but with such a strong focus on what can or can't be done, having what appears to be contradictions sticks out very sharply.

Plus, what's up with this Chrollo wasn't fighting alone theory. Somehow the rest of the Spider Troupe were in the crowd and using Gallery Fake and Black Voice after Chrollo returned their powers to them. I'm not buying it.

There aren't really any contradictions or problems with the fight. It's done from Hisoka's pov, so information lacking throughout is to be expected. Everything that needs to be revealed to make perfect sense is done so by the end of the fight, including Black Voice's equipment (Chrollo calls him afterwards to let him know he has the cell and can give it back but lost the antennas, so they are not part of the ability itself). Part of the problem for some people might be reading fan translations instead of official too.

No idea what the theory at the bottom is about either, I don't think I ever heard that uttered during discussions previously.

Top Bottom