• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperdimension Neptunia |OT|: Consoles in Games in Consoles

AniHawk

sega actually let nisa/if/compile hearts use a lot of their stuff.
you can attack enemies with altered beast, shinobi, and space harrier game discs.

it's kinda weird. i wonder if this game is partly a result of the sakura wars localization. all the players in that (plus 5pb) are there.

This and Ar Tonelico 3 will be mine as soon as they drop a bit in price. Really interested in this but there's just too much other stuff out in Q1 that I want to buy first.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
WickedLaharl said:
it's an idea factory game, so no, it won't be any good.

i like the concept but i just wish it were developed by a decent company.

Yeah, same here... awesome concept but I'm not one for Idea Factory. Still, I'm tempted...

Dave Long

Banned
MYE said:
the fuck is this
2a64ca0.jpg

Volcynika

Rolf NB said:
Day 105.

It can't be worse than Cross Edge, right?

I couldn't stand Cross Edge, but I enjoyed Trinity Universe well enough (and this seems to reuse a LOT of stuff from TU), so I think it can't be worse!

PBalfredo said:
Holy shit! Who thought this was a good idea? I don't understand how something like this could make it into a final game?

So its a gambit from FFXII?

No healing outside of combat is stupid but healing as a automatic reaction doesn't seem too bad.

Not that it matters, no GameGear no sale

Canova

Banned
I'm tempted to play this just to see all the gaming industry stereotypes in the game

EDIT: This game is actually out of stock in Amazon Canada. They must have sold all 5 of them

lljride

Volcynika said:
I couldn't stand Cross Edge, but I enjoyed Trinity Universe well enough (and this seems to reuse a LOT of stuff from TU), so I think it can't be worse!

Yeah, I watched the first 10 minute video on youtube, and I definitely got a TU vibe from the character cutscenes. That's a good thing. Really looking forward to next Tuesday.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It would be way too awesome to happen if the main villain was an evil glutton named Akti-vitsion

Spurred by a few recent news threads

AniHawk

The_Technomancer said:
It would be way too awesome to happen if the main villain was an evil glutton named Akti-vitsion

Spurred by a few recent news threads

The villain is actually named
Arfoire

Lain

My copy is preordered. I don't really care if the game is good or bad, the concept is enough to make me want to play it.

LiK

Lain said:
My copy is preordered. I don't really care if the game is good or bad, the concept is enough to make me want to play it.

indeed, i bet the localization will be pretty entertaining at least.

careksims

Okay so I pre-ordered this on a whim. Now I hear you can't heal outside battles? How bad is this game? Should I keep my pre-order now? At least FF13 had a some-what nice battle system. I dunno now :(

PBalfredo

HamPster PamPster said:
So its a gambit from FFXII?

No healing outside of combat is stupid but healing as a automatic reaction doesn't seem too bad.

Not that it matters, no GameGear no sale

Looking at the review...

With item abilities, your characters can use items that heal HP, cure status effects, and add buffs. The way this is handled is by adding points to each character’s ability. If you want your character to heal every time their health goes lower than 50%, you need to add points to that healing ability. This is one of the biggest problems I have with this game. You can only heal in combat, and it’s not going to work 100% of the time. The player themselves cannot use a healing item manually. So, let’s say one of your characters is down to low HP. You end that battle and then move on to another battle. That character is still low on HP and they get hit by another enemy, killing them. There was nothing you could do to stop it because your characters heal themselves and only do it after receiving damage. It’s a horrible mechanic.

From the first two bolded points it sounds like the gambits work only a percentage of the time and you have to put points in to increase the percentage. I really, really hope I'm just reading that wrong or that's a whole new level of stupid.

Healing damage as a reaction isn't bad, unless it's the only way they decide to heal, as the third bolded point implies. If that's the case then you could enter a battle with 1 HP and they won't heal. smh

The_Technomancer said:
Wait...so...the Nippon Ichi character is basically a female Laharl? I'll admit I find that slightly amusing.

Somewhat. It's more after a Prinny (NI's mascot) than Laharl.

Also, the healing thing is likely overblown, since I have a feeling most of the reviewers aren't going to go all the way through the game to bother. In fact some of the people who have played the Japanese version said that it becomes a non-issue very quickly.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
hikarutilmitt said:

Also, the healing thing is likely overblown, since I have a feeling most of the reviewers aren't going to go all the way through the game to bother. In fact some of the people who have played the Japanese version said that it becomes a non-issue very quickly.
Mmmm, I see Laharl. Although there are the wings on the back.

Disgaea_Laharl.png
5281489262_37cea5e34f.jpg

androvsky

hikarutilmitt said:

Yeah, one of the people who worked on the localization said that the healing item complaint only showed that the reviewer didn't get very far.

On the other hand, I have seen people that played the Japanese version a good deal still complain about it (and on the gripping hand, the person who complained the most was a big fan of Trinity Universe, so grain of salt there...). But according to Siliconera, you can retry battles anyway, so it doesn't sound that bad. Neptunia's supposed to have the patch that allows you to skip all attack animations, so battles should go relatively quickly.

tiff

Banned
androvsky said:
But according to Siliconera, you can retry battles anyway, so it doesn't sound that bad. Neptunia's supposed to have the patch that allows you to skip all attack animations, so battles should go relatively quickly.
Yeah, sounds like a non-issue to me.

Sqorgar

Banned
cj_iwakura said:
It's not that bad. It's a little bit generic, but it's sort of fun if you are familiar with some of the characters. But the only thing flat out bad about it is the localization, and you can't blame Idea Factory for that. Though the localization is REALLY bad. I mean, it is the basis by which bad localizations are judged.

Most Idea Factory games are super complicated with learning cliffs and heavy grinding, and are only bad to the people who never put in the effort to learn how to play them. I haven't played Neptunia or Trinity Universe, but I assume they follow the same format?

NISA charged me for this, so shipping soon hopefully. And did anyone else get a random gift certificate? It says I got it for getting over 500 points, but I've got like 100 points when I check my account.

Volcynika

rainking187 said:
NISA charged me for this, so shipping soon hopefully. And did anyone else get a random gift certificate? It says I got it for getting over 500 points, but I've got like 100 points when I check my account.

Got the gift certificate as well. Haven't checked my points though.

rainking187 said:

Its 500? Darn, Im at 490 points :( oh well I guess they shipped it today or so. Hopefully it arrives before tuesday!

androvsky

Sqorgar said:
Most Idea Factory games are super complicated with learning cliffs and heavy grinding, and are only bad to the people who never put in the effort to learn how to play them. I haven't played Neptunia or Trinity Universe, but I assume they follow the same format?

Yeah, that's Trinity Universe all right. Cross Edge too. Part of the problem with Trinity Universe is that it looks like it should be a light, easy PS2-era jrpg, and it's anything but. At least Cross Edge had a fun and fast battle system once you could figure it out, Trinity Universe's was too slow (mainly since you couldn't skip all attack animations).

Anyway, Neptunia doesn't come with the DLC to make Nisa and Gust usable in battles, so it sounds like we'll be stuck with three playable characters for like 90% of the game without it.

Top Bottom