• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperdimension Neptunia |OT|: Consoles in Games in Consoles

Lain

Got my copy and started playing, did the tutorial dungeon and stopped there. I laughed about some of the exchanges between the characters, and the gameplay wasn't even that bad (thanks to the skip animations button), but it does feel repetitive to do combo after combo just to kill some trash monster.

Teknoman

Ledsen said:
Wow, just watched that cutscene trailer from the OP... sexualized pre-teens, that's pretty creepy. Who does it cater to?

Didnt watch the trailer, but the only ones that look like they're pre teens (from the art posted anyway) are Gust, Neptune (with the big purple coat dress thing), Blanc/Wii form, and maybe Idea Factory girl. Those dont seem very sexualized either.

Lain

Spent a little bit more time with the game, doing the worm dungeon, and I'm disliking the battle system more and more. It seems overcomplicated for no good reason other than to try and make it appear deeper than it really is.

B.K.

I can't believe the game became so rare so fast. I didn't buy it when it came out because I thought there would be plenty of copies, like the Atelier Annie set, but I can't find it at any Gamestops.

B.K. said:
I can't believe the game became so rare so fast. I didn't buy it when it came out because I thought there would be plenty of copies, like the Atelier Annie set, but I can't find it at any Gamestops.

I saw a used copy at my gamestop in just one week. I was shocked they even had a copy. Its not on AMZN?

tylovetx

Banned
Not impressed at all. Nippon Ichi really needs to hire some new developers. They always come up with these great original ideas, and they just end up wasted on this generic shit. It's like no one outside this has seen a fucking game outside the Playstation era.

tylovetx said:
Not impressed at all. Nippon Ichi really needs to hire some new developers. They always come up with these great original ideas, and they just end up wasted on this generic shit. It's like no one outside this has seen a fucking game outside the Playstation era.

It's made by Idea Factory.

tylovetx said:

NI needs to try to develop more games and potentially give up on IF (well great in game character). Has Idea Factory ever had any hit?

I traded mine into Amazon for $40. If it becomes rare and worth a lot of money, then shame on me, but I just couldn't take it anymore, game is too shitty. I was impressed at first, but very quickly was overwhelmed by the bass ackwards healing scheme and the slowness of the horribly designed (graphically and executionally) battle system. I really really wanted to like it, but I asked myself do I want to play this game over any of the others in my collection that I haven't finished yet, and the answer was no.

tiff

Banned
I think Agarest War is a little better than this game but they both feel like a total grind and that's my biggest problem with either.

Okay guys, so should I pick this up now or wait? My local game store has three copies in, and honestly, I'd prefer to wait considering I've got Pokemon and Yakuza taking all my time, but the prices on Amazon are starting to bother me.

I already got burned with Atelier Rorona...but I'm getting the impression that this shipped considerably less, right?

Tailzo

I'm liking the videogame-puns, and some of the harder boss fights are interesting (since you can re-try a battle if you fail). But I find the whole "shares" system quite confusing.

Tailzo said:
I'm liking the videogame-puns, and some of the harder boss fights are interesting (since you can re-try a battle if you fail). But I find the whole "shares" system quite confusing.
General tips for dealing with shares: Don't bother until NISA joins your party. Usually, finishing missions on a particular landmass raises shares for that same landmass. You can fill the "Other" bar by failing missions (leaving the dungeon immediately after starting also works), and use that to redistribute shares. There seems to be no apparent reason to raise shares beyond 50% for a landmass.

B.K.

Looks like a sequel is going to be announced in a few days.

A couple of additional bits have surfaced regarding Compile Heart's countdown site, which is scheduled to open on March 24.

The project's codename is apparently NPG. That's NPG, not NGP. The system's platform is currently unknown.

It looks like this may be a new title in the spirit of Neptune. The following quotes have appeared in connection with the game:

* "What if game machines were cute girls?"
* "That machine will shake in your hand like a little girl."

I have no idea what that second one means. It must be a Japanese thing.

"NPG" is apparently supposed to be a revolutionary new portable system for a new generation.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/03/22/compile_hearts_countdown_npg/

tiff

Banned
"What if game machines were cute girls?"
"That machine will shake in your hand like a little girl."

I don't know what it means but I'm sold.

If there's anything on there I would pay money for without a sale it'd be 5bp and NISA. Everything else is just stat boosts and extra items. LOL @ $.250 for buying the swimsuit outfits for each of them.

I imagine that eventually they'll have a massive DLC pack like they made for Disgaea 3.

Gvaz said:
Is it just me, or does the framerate on this suck?

I don't know if I've just gotten used to it, but it seems like it isn't as bad later on.

Anyways, just started playing this yesterday, and I'm actually really enjoying it. The battle system has enough to keep you interested, and the option to skip animations keeps everything from slowing down too much in battle.

The story is your typical Idea Factory fare, but the video game references are enough to keep me entertained. I just
got the Fragment Key for Lastation
and it looks like I'm halfway done, according to the percentage screen when you save.

BTW,

LONG LIVE SEGA

drtomoe123 said:
Just finished the main quest.

A really quirky, fun ride. I'll edit with final impressions soon.

still waiting sir

im mainly interested in how it compares to atelier rorona. im about 75% sure im buying this today

a friend bought this for me for my birthday, as kind of a joke i suppose.

i've only just got round to spending some time with it and i'm actually enjoying it. i mean, the music and VA are pretty hideous imo, but so far - with the volume off - it's been pretty entertaining thinking up ways to chain more combos together. haven't had a problem with the automated healing yet. about Compa taking heaps of damage, maybe it's just later on, 'cause at the moment she's fine and my best damage dealer. i have her in the back row behind IF so i go combo link>switch>combo link> [defend/switch/stay/whatever]

then again i'm only at about level 7.

not the best game in the world no, but not the worst either. i'm enjoying it more than Cross-Edge simply because the cut-scenes are shorter and I keep forgetting how cross-edge's battle system works between plays.

all i'd really ask for is faster load times into battles and a better framerate, and i'd be pretty happy. regarding the art i just keep telling myself they're all 22.

Finished this off yesterday. I wasn't expecting a great deal given what I'd heard about it, but it was actually very enjoyable. Bought all the character DLC before I started playing and was incredibly glad I did, since without it you'd be stuck with the two most boring characters (from a battle POV) in your party for the vast majority of the game.

Looking forward to MK2
save for the fact that the new goddesses are now wearing even skimpier outfits. God knows what they'll be like if MK3 comes around.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
le derp where can I buy this game? Amazon is all price gougers

Ermac said:
le derp where can I buy this game? Amazon is all price gougers

yeah i don't think you're going to find a good deal on this one.

ebay is probably going to be your best bet.

i'd tell you to skip this one and pick up AT3 (a far better game) but it doesn't seem easy to find either.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
WickedLaharl said:
yeah i don't think you're going to find a good deal on this one.

ebay is probably going to be your best bet.

i'd tell you to skip this one and pick up AT3 (a far better game) but it doesn't seem easy to find either.

^_^

9928zp.jpg

First game I've bought from Gamestop in like 2 years. Had to drive like 20 miles. Had no clue the box was so big.

Time to snuggle up in my fortress of solitude

congrats. i hope you enjoy it much more then i did.

still i would've gotten ar tonelico 3. well that's assuming you don't already have it.

Gvaz

Banned
I tried to go back to playing this after Xenoblade and I just can't D:

The combat is so clunky and the fps is so low and dialogue doesn't seem to auto skip :<

Looks like the second game is bringing tons of improvements though

Yuripaw

Banned
It seems like this game has gotten rare in some circles...amazon is charging $150 for a new copy of it, and ones listed on ebay are all $100+...Always hate it when I don't jump on a game and stuff like this happens.

Luckily I looked at gamestop.com, and was able to order a new copy for $59.99 just now, so if anyone is still thinking about picking up a copy of this game, they might have more.

Top Bottom