• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyperdimension Neptunia |OT|: Consoles in Games in Consoles

lljride

Finaika said:
So is this game worth getting? Any detailed impressions from you guys?

I'm loving it so far (10 hours in maybe? There's no in game timer to know for sure). The combat system is fairly simple but fun, basically you create custom combos in the menu for each character, different attack combos have different bonuses attached to them. Dungeon and battle graphics are pretty bland at best, but it doesn't bother me much. The dungeons are really short (5-10 minutes max), so it's got that "just one more" addictive quality to it.

The game really shines in the dialog cutscenes during events (basically any non dungeon interactions). The English VO is actually pretty well done, the story doesn't take itself seriously at all with a lot of game industry jokes (plus, you know, boobies).

Basically if you liked Trinity Universe you'll definitely like this, it makes a few minor tweaks to that formula that help reduce some of the tedium. If you hated TU you'll probably want to stay away.

expy

Banned
AniHawk said:
there's not much they can do. they have a full-time staff of about a 12-14 people (less who aren't boss-types), and that's no exaggeration.
There's plenty they can do. It's called planning ahead. If it happens again, that's just pure incompetence on their part.

Volcynika

lljride said:
I'm loving it so far (10 hours in maybe? There's no in game timer to know for sure). The combat system is fairly simple but fun, basically you create custom combos in the menu for each character, different attack combos have different bonuses attached to them. Dungeon and battle graphics are pretty bland at best, but it doesn't bother me much. The dungeons are really short (5-10 minutes max), so it's got that "just one more" addictive quality to it.

The game really shines in the dialog cutscenes during events (basically any non dungeon interactions). The English VO is actually pretty well done, the story doesn't take itself seriously at all with a lot of game industry jokes (plus, you know, boobies).

Basically if you liked Trinity Universe you'll definitely like this, it makes a few minor tweaks to that formula that help reduce some of the tedium. If you hated TU you'll probably want to stay away.

I just got IF (not very far in the game obviously), but I don't understand the create a combo thing and all this stuff they're telling me. I kinda messed around and named combos, but I'm still not sure how all these new systems work.

Also, I agree about the English VO. Neptune is very amusing so far.

lljride

Yeah, I had to bang my head against it for a while to figure it out. The tutorial doesn't really explain it at all.

Basically you can change any of the actions after the first (so for example in the combo Triangle, O, O, O you can change the attack in the 3 Os). As you're changing the attacks it'll show you at the bottom what the possible bonuses are, like Transform (Neptune) or Combo Link (anyone). There's a bunch of other stat info there, but I'm not exactly sure what all that means yet.

The best combo bonuses I've found so far are Transform (HDD mode for Neptune) and Combo Link (gives you an AP bonus after the combo is completed). Other than that I've just been plugging in the strongest attacks I can to get to those bonuses. You get new attacks every few levels, so you'll need to adjust your combos every once in a while to keep up the damage.

AniHawk

expy said:
There's plenty they can do. It's called planning ahead. If it happens again, that's just pure incompetence on their part.

are you talking about the freak snowstorm in the midwest that caused the delay? not sure what power the two people who work at rosenqueen have over the weather.

Volcynika

AniHawk said:
are you talking about the freak snowstorm in the midwest that caused the delay? not sure what power the two people who work at rosenqueen have over the weather.

They have magical powers! It should not have happened!

D:

tiff

Banned
On the subject of transformation, is there any reason not to transform Neptune right off the bat in every battle? Regular ol' Neptune is way cuter but I don't see a tactical reason to keep her that way.

lljride said:
Yeah, I had to bang my head against it for a while to figure it out. The tutorial doesn't really explain it at all.

Basically you can change any of the actions after the first (so for example in the combo Triangle, O, O, O you can change the attack in the 3 Os). As you're changing the attacks it'll show you at the bottom what the possible bonuses are, like Transform (Neptune) or Combo Link (anyone). There's a bunch of other stat info there, but I'm not exactly sure what all that means yet.

The best combo bonuses I've found so far are Transform (HDD mode for Neptune) and Combo Link (gives you an AP bonus after the combo is completed). Other than that I've just been plugging in the strongest attacks I can to get to those bonuses. You get new attacks every few levels, so you'll need to adjust your combos every once in a while to keep up the damage.

You dont put in the RW things, as well as the other moves, like Fantasy Zone? I just got IF, but I guess I really need to find ones other than Fantasy Zone that Ive been using. I forgot what the terms is for those moves.

angelfly

I feel bad for ignoring Monster Call as I'm finding it extremely useful especially for the more straight forward dungeons.

angelfly said:
I feel bad for ignoring Monster Call as I'm finding it extremely useful especially for the more straight forward dungeons.

I try to use it all the time to try to get on those leaderboards, its so shocking to see people with times of 2 minutes on quests to defeat 5 of such monsters or get 5 of such items...

lljride

tiff said:
On the subject of transformation, is there any reason not to transform Neptune right off the bat in every battle? Regular ol' Neptune is way cuter but I don't see a tactical reason to keep her that way.

Not that I can tell, I've been transforming her right away.

Dedication Through Light said:
You dont put in the RW things, as well as the other moves, like Fantasy Zone? I just got IF, but I guess I really need to find ones other than Fantasy Zone that Ive been using. I forgot what the terms is for those moves.

I haven't used those much tbh, but you're probably right, those moves may be the way to go. I use the special move that Compa has a lot (can't remember the name for the life of me right now, I think it's a fire special), but that's about it so far.

tiff

Banned
I try to use it all the time to try to get on those leaderboards, its so shocking to see people with times of 2 minutes on quests to defeat 5 of such monsters or get 5 of such items...
I thought about using it the very first time I got a quest like that, but I couldn't fight the urge to go nab the treasure chests first.

androvsky

Found an interesting tidbit about the healing item skill from someone at NISA.

First, selecting the difficulty for the game may sound odd (battles are longer in easy). Think about it. If you're hit harder, you have fewer chances for a healing skill to activate. If you're hit more, as in battles are longer, you have more chances to activate a healing skill. You could say the game's core is this healing mechanic.

Second, did you know you can hit start in a battle and change not only your skill combos, but your item skill point distribution at will? All the reviewers herping and derping about a character with 1 HP unable to heal... did they hit start and dump all her points into the skill that heals 50% when that character defends?

tiff

Banned
Oh, I didn't know you could change them mid-battle. Normally games don't let you pull up the menu in a battle so I never thought to press start. The game does make a point about not being able to save in battle, so I should have known.

Though to be fair, you don't get those item skills until a few levels in, and I'm pretty sure they require items that aren't dropped in the first few dungeons (and cost too much to buy in large quantities in the shop, iirc), so for the first hour or so you might be SOL. Plus, all a character's item points add up to 50-60% for the first few levels so with a little bad luck you can still get fucked.

Also, lol at "All the reviewers herping and derping about a character with 1 HP unable to heal..."

androvsky

tiff said:
Oh, I didn't know you could change them mid-battle. Normally games don't let you pull up the menu in a battle so I never thought to press start. The game does make a point about not being able to save in battle, so I should have known.

Though to be fair, you don't get those item skills until a few levels in, and I'm pretty sure they require items that aren't dropped in the first few dungeons (and cost too much to buy in large quantities in the shop, iirc), so for the first hour or so you might be SOL. Plus, all a character's item points add up to 50-60% for the first few levels so with a little bad luck you can still get fucked.

Also, lol at "All the reviewers herping and derping about a character with 1 HP unable to heal..."

Yeah, I think he was mainly frustrated that it was apparent that at least a couple reviewers hadn't played any further than a few levels in, making it difficult for people who did plan on playing it to find accurate info on what the (vast?) majority of the game is like.

Volcynika

androvsky said:
Yeah, I think he was mainly frustrated that it was apparent that at least a couple reviewers hadn't played any further than a few levels in, making it difficult for people who did plan on playing it to find accurate info on what the (vast?) majority of the game is like.

Yeah, it's hard to get good info if people don't play the game they're reviewing. Though I did see a review of the game (where the guy clearly stopped playing it due to the tone of the review) that (almost verbatim) called Neptunia an "interactive abortion" along with saying if you buy it, you're a bad person. :p

tiff

Banned
androvsky said:
Yeah that's probably true, although I wouldn't put it above reviewers to be dumb enough to go through the entire game not knowing how to heal people right.

expy

Banned
AniHawk said:
The delay was but one of the issues, the way they handled it was poor as well. Not to mention my other grippe with them being that they're never clear about their intentions of launches. Go back to Rorona for example, like I've said, they never dismissed a Canadian LE release, they just said "Gamestop exclusive first-run LE", the LE was even bilingual... Never saw the light of day in Canada. Don't they think it's important that they let their customers know whether certain versions of their game will release in their regions or not? And what was the point of having a bilingual LE box made for North America if it was only sold in the U.S.? NISA never responded to that to this day.

I also ordered from NISA store due to the fact that they never clarified whether Neptunia would or would not get an LE version in Canada (despite multiple threads on their forums about it from multiple users). You can't really trust them the way they've been handling their public relations and (lack of) press releases. So I ordered from their store thinking, 'hey I'll get it for sure this way', and end up in their PR mess with a delay, and find out Neptunia LE DID release in Canada... And NISA still hasn't said anything about it... Odd..

Darn, I hate when I cant get the references in the "unvoiced scenes'. Well one of the ones on Planeptune (after the 'Detris one, clearly that was Tetris) they described "characters breaking boxes with their bare hands, some guy dressed like a sumo wrestler, and a girl with muscular thighs" (I wish there was an event viewer)...

Darn, I hate when I cant get the references in the "unvoiced scenes'. Well one of the ones on Planeptune (after the 'Detris one, clearly that was Tetris) they described "characters breaking boxes with their bare hands, some guy dressed like a sumo wrestler, and a girl with muscular thighs" (I wish there was an event viewer)...

that's Street Fighter

Ramune

Think the delay for Neptunia is bad, I'm STILL waiting for my copy of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 SE from the Capcom store. Just left NJ Saturday. Probably won't see it till tomorrow. TT_TT

Ahem, anyway, so far Neptunia clicks with me. The reviewers were clearly in their "Meh, JRPG, can't play more then an hour of this shite" mode. ^_^;

Also thanks for those tips androvsky, I'll have to try that next time I fire it up!

Tailzo

I decided to order it. Hopefully I'll enjoy it despite the character designs. What I actually wanted was SEGAGAGA though.

Tailzo

cyclenut said:
I should be getting Atelier Rorona today and have Neptunia already.

Any suggestion on which I should play first?
I haven't played both yet, but I really enjoyed Rorona, despite the awful main charatcers and the weird molester attitude some of the main charactrs had.

I'd say play Rorona first, it can end quickly or slower depending on what you choose to do with the assignements you are given.

cyclenut

Tailzo said:
I haven't played both yet, but I really enjoyed Rorona, despite the awful main charatcers and the weird molester attitude some of the main charactrs had.

I'd say play Rorona first, it can end quickly or slower depending on what you choose to do with the assignements you are given.

Will do. Thanks!

I played the first three atelier's for the ps2 along with mana khemia 1&2.

Usually, I try to make every recipe for those games for the best gear/items so I guess i'll be in the "slower" camp.

lljride

Rorona was pretty good but the time limit system really freaked me out (more than it should have). I kept thinking I wasn't doing every little thing efficiently and it drove me nuts. Got to about the 3rd assignment and couldn't take it anymore. If I could've just gone with the flow it would've been a lot more enjoyable.

I kinda hate myself for it but I bought the Neptunia DLC that came out last night. It really didn't make a huge difference for my characters (currently level 29-30 or so), but if I had it available at the start of the game I'm sure things would've been a lot easier.

lljride said:
Rorona was pretty good but the time limit system really freaked me out (more than it should have). I kept thinking I wasn't doing every little thing efficiently and it drove me nuts. Got to about the 3rd assignment and couldn't take it anymore. If I could've just gone with the flow it would've been a lot more enjoyable.

I kinda hate myself for it but I bought the Neptunia DLC that came out last night. It really didn't make a huge difference for my characters (currently level 29-30 or so), but if I had it available at the start of the game I'm sure things would've been a lot easier.

The game would be easier, (well I just made it to lastation but at lvl 9) if Compa would hurry and be replaced out of the party. For some reason I just can not keep her alive (though her "Ill do my best" move is pretty cool looking and powerful)

lljride

The game would be easier, (well I just made it to lastation but at lvl 9) if Compa would hurry and be replaced out of the party. For some reason I just can not keep her alive (though her "Ill do my best" move is pretty cool looking and powerful)

You're pretty much stuck with Compa until the end of the game. She does become more of a powerhouse later on, for me she's doing more damage than Neptune and WAY more than IF. She still dies pretty quick though.

The Defend command has really saved my ass in the last few boss fights. Good thing about it is you can still attack as you normally would, just save about 10 AP at the end of your combo and you can still choose Defend at the end. It's been the difference between winning and losing a lot lately.

lljride said:
You're pretty much stuck with Compa until the end of the game. She does become more of a powerhouse later on, for me she's doing more damage than Neptune and WAY more than IF. She still dies pretty quick though.

The Defend command has really saved my ass in the last few boss fights. Good thing about it is you can still attack as you normally would, just save about 10 AP at the end of your combo and you can still choose Defend at the end. It's been the difference between winning and losing a lot lately.

I should start defending more, I just noticed there are healing skills during defense. Hopefully some get up to heal 70% or more.

Makoto

Giolon said:
What I don't understand is how this game can look like a PS2 game, yet still run at like 20 fps...

This is the one thing that really bothers about this game (this is the first Idea Factory/NIS game I've played). The world/story seems interestingly humorous enough to warrant exploration, the dialogue has its charm, the battle system is okay but then I go from the vibrant and colorful cutscenes to the washed out choppy look of the in-game player controlled portion of Neptunia and it seems like something I have to adjust to every time.

There's an event viewer in the party menu, under "Tomes."

To whom it may concern: You need to reserve 8 AP at the end of your actions/attacks in order to use the Defend command. If you have 7 AP or less, your character's turn ends abruptly. I'm not sure if that applies for the low-tension status effect, when your basic moves only require 4 AP. For the love of Goddess, use Defend, folks. It'll save your ass.

Take advantage of switching Item Points around mid-battle. Pump Nep Nep's "Protein" skill up to 100%, start a boss/rune/call fight, then redistribute those points before the first attack. Also, don't waste points on Iffy's "Big Green Grass" skill in the last fight of a dungeon.

I'm five dungeons away from completing my second playthrough now. As crazy powerful Compa was on my first run, she's only gotten a turn in battle three or four times during my entire second run.

Wow I had to take a break from playing (going to Resonance of Fate this week), as I cant defeat Black Heart in Lastation this 3rd or 4th time facing her? I even combo link into combo link combos and just cant defeat her...I can't imagine level grinding is needed in the game, all characters at lvl 11.

tiff

Banned
I'm pretty sure I only fought Black Heart twice before I hit level 17 or so.

Then I got stuck on another boss and moved on to another landmass.

Ledsen

Wow, just watched that cutscene trailer from the OP... sexualized pre-teens, that's pretty creepy. Who does it cater to?

lljride

Glad we're getting the DLC characters so soon. I'm not sure I'll buy it though, I might wait for impressions first. If they're not any more useful that the existing characters I'll pass.

I wish there was a definitive resource on how the landmass share system works. I understand the gist of it, but there's the whole mechanic surrounding the Other bar that I can't find a straight answer on. I'm worried that I may have screwed something up grinding one of the non story dungeons for items early on (failing each time when I exited). That increased my Other bar like crazy, which I wasn't aware of at the time, and depending on who you ask either doesn't matter or screwed me over completely.

Might be quicker to just restart on NG+ rather than try to undo what I did already (if it's even possible).

Danj

Eurogamer's review is up, and they really, really hated it:

Eurogamer said:
It's frustrating that, of all the great many Japanese games that should be picked up for Western release, Nippon Ichi has chosen Hyperdimension Neptunia. On paper, the premise is a solid one, but the execution disappoints on every level.

Even the most ardent JRPG fan will baulk at the roughshod simplicity of the game's systems, restricting the game's audience to Japanophile anime fans who can overlook the experiences shortcomings as a videogame and approach it as a cultural curio. That is, a sexist, senseless and ultimately stupid cultural curio.

2/10

So I guess it's a good job I didn't buy this, but put it on my Lovefilm rental list instead?

Danj said:
So I guess it's a good job I didn't buy this, but put it on my Lovefilm rental list instead?

Normally I don't put much stock in reviews, but I agree with everything they said. I've got the game on rent from Lovefilm right now, mostly out of curiosity, and there's no way I'm finishing it before I send it back.

I don't really understand how this game was chosen to be localized, it's absurd in it's entirety.

Danj said:

I think the writing is witty and decent, but there were some areas where things could have been changed. The battle system just feels dated and dull (perhaps thats what I get for jumping right from Mass Effect 2, to this, then to Resonance of Fate...)

Sqorgar

Banned
Danj said:
The thing about niche gaming is that it is very likely that you aren't actually part of the niche of gamers it is trying to appeal to. That's okay, because there's a few people out there who will eat it up. You might think, oh, a JRPG, that's right up my alley, but it isn't a JRPG. Not really. The JRPG part is just part of the delivery mechanism. I can't help but feel that reviews that talk about skipping all the animations are missing the point.

But then you run into the problem of what the purpose of reviewing is supposed to be. If it is true that most people will dislike Neptunia, isn't it a good thing that it gets bad reviews to steer them away, even if the reviewer absolutely doesn't understand the nature or goal of the game in the first place?

lljride

2/10 is harsh, but I won't really argue against it. My opinion of the game certainly went steadily downhill as I played it (got the platinum on Sunday). It's weird, I genuinely liked Trinity Universe, but finishing HN made me realize I never want to play another TU/HN ever again.

The healing system is horrible. I really can't think of any redeeming factors in adding something like that to the game. You never seem to have the right number of options to heal. Not enough characters can heal on defend, almost no one can heal multiple characters, and you can basically forget about trying to revive anyone since they die again before their next turn anyway. Got so freaking pissed fighting the true ending boss.

Other than the dialogue which is genuinely funny and enjoyable, everything else is just okay/boring to kinda bad. At least it's fairly short (~60 hrs to platinum).

tiff

Banned
Anyone complaining about the type of innuendo in the game probably wasn't in the target audience to begin with, really.

And the game's pretty repetitive and I can easily someone trying to blow through the game in a rental period tiring themselves out pretty quickly.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
so I have this sitting here unopened from amazon. I ordered it 100% on the premise without reading anything about it, and it was sold out immediately and just filled from Amazon this week. I guess where I'm going with this is... come on OT.... is this game really so bad that I am better off returning it or holding onto it sealed for a while? The premise just sounds awesome to me, but if the writing isn't great, then a bad (or strictly average) game doesn't seem like it would be enough... but I'm not writing it off yet.

and yeah I realize I could just "play it"... but then that really kills my two other alternatives (return or resell). thoughts?

Volcynika

borghe said:
so I have this sitting here unopened from amazon. I ordered it 100% on the premise without reading anything about it, and it was sold out immediately and just filled from Amazon this week. I guess where I'm going with this is... come on OT.... is this game really so bad that I am better off returning it or holding onto it sealed for a while? The premise just sounds awesome to me, but if the writing isn't great, then a bad (or strictly average) game doesn't seem like it would be enough... but I'm not writing it off yet.

and yeah I realize I could just "play it"... but then that really kills my two other alternatives (return or resell). thoughts?

To be honest, I haven't played it too much, but what I did was appealing. Though the systems are a bit confusing and they don't do a fantastic job of explaining things. I don't expect it to be fantastic, but serviceable enough to me to not completely hate myself by the end of it. :p

Because for the most part, this and a few other games got pushed back since I'm so attached to Radiant Historia lately. D:

borghe said:

I guess it boils down to if "Story and Writing" > "Gameplay", as in my 20 hours of playing it, it feels like such a drag. I like the dialogue and it keeps me interested but the outdated style of dungeon roaming (at least the dungeons are somewhat short) and battle system (should just have a permanent skip button) is just dull. Plus the fact that there are just other more interesting RPGs available. I think I'd enjoy it if I had played through my whole catalog already and had no other options available.

You couldnt resell it if it were opened? It is the premium edition so someone would be willing to buy.

Top Bottom