• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

Played the demo for the first time at my local Gamestop, really enjoyed it! Tried out Zelda, Link, and Midna, had a surprising amount of fun. I am now secure in my preorder.

JPS Kai

Anyone here have a list of the medals or is willing to post them for me? I know the game comes out in less then 48 hours but I really wanna know so bad :(

They're pretty straightforward. Adds extra hits to your basic combos, capture keeps faster, restore more hearts when being healed, take less X element damage in element-recommended stages, etc. So far I've only seen three characters but they all had the same badges.

Blues1990

Totally forgot the game comes out Friday! Thought it released next week for some reason.

For some reason, I thought it was supposed to be released on the 29th of September, not this upcoming Friday. Still, me happy for some fun times with Impa slaying hundreds of iconic monsters & foes from the series.

They're pretty straightforward. Adds extra hits to your basic combos, capture keeps faster, restore more hearts when being healed, take less X element damage in element-recommended stages, etc. So far I've only seen three characters but they all had the same badges.

Not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the Medal list aka in game achievements under the gallery.

Spocker

Been playing this the last couple of days, and never thought I'd like a warriors game, but darn it's fun. Much of it is the way it's constructed with all the unlocks and bite-size missions. Makes you always want to go for just one more mission :)

NNID if anyone wants to add me: Spocker

Jackano

I need to dig the online thing, didn't even look a second at it, what's the deal with it?

Also I'm (finally) getting better I think. That green magic bar, it's better to use it on regular enemies as it give you bonus if you make 25 kills combos.
While grinding Darunia in the Water Temple, I did twice in a row 100 kills combos, so I believe I had rupees+, XP+, and rare weapons+ twice for the rest of the game (not sure how that counts).
Neat!

Zomba13

So I unlocked Ganondorf earlier and he's really fun to play as. Best Ganondorf design too, all dat hair :D.

The Ganondorf costumes kinda suck. The OOT one just looks bad, like, not as well made as the HW one and the TP one looks fine though but of course has the weird TP faded colouring thing going one.

RiggyRob

I need to dig the online thing, didn't even look a second at it, what's the deal with it?

Also I'm (finally) getting better I think. That green magic bar, it's better to use it on regular enemies as it give you bonus if you make 25 kills combos.
While grinding Darunia in the Water Temple, I did twice in a row 100 kills combos, so I believe I had rupees+, XP+, and rare weapons+ twice for the rest of the game (not sure how that counts).
Neat!

The Network Link thing? IIRC you'll be able to see your friends(?) who have the game appear in Adventure mode and you can battle to rescue them. The main reason for doing this is that the Rupee reward for completing it is much much higher than a normal stage, I remember getting 50,000 rupees on one when the average is something like 10,000 (at least for the beginning stages).

Jackano

The Network Link thing? IIRC you'll be able to see your friends(?) who have the game appear in Adventure mode and you can battle to rescue them. The main reason for doing this is that the Rupee reward for completing it is much much higher than a normal stage, I remember getting 50,000 rupees on one when the average is something like 10,000 (at least for the beginning stages).

It works directly with the Wii U friend list?
I guess I probably have this already up and running, and even more when US-GAF will got the game then. Just have to play more adventure mode. Thanks!

RiggyRob

It works directly with the Wii U friend list?
I guess I probably have this already up and running, and even more when US-GAF will got the game then. Just have to play more adventure mode. Thanks!

I'm not sure to be honest - I think it could be anyone who's connected to the network in Adventure mode?

I know you can specify to connect to the network each time you start Adventure mode, and you'll get a notification telling you a Network Link has appeared.

Edit: When they appear seems to be random, though.

fred

Got mine yesterday and have played the first two levels and can sum the game up with just 3 words: Awesome. Fucking. Sauce.

First time I've played a game from the Warriors franchise and am really enjoying it.

I can see myself putting hundreds of hours into this including all of the DLC. Anyone know when the Season Pass thingummybob is going to be available here in the UK..? And how much it's going to cost..?

Jobbs

Banned
getting this tomorrow and can't wait to play it.

I noticed neogaf is, in general, in love with the game.

I was curious what the vibe on neogaf is when it comes to dynasty warriors in general?

I've gathered that HW is essentially a particularly good DW game + lovingly adorned with zelda stuff. Which I'm perfectly fine with.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Got mine yesterday and have played the first two levels and can sum the game up with just 3 words: Awesome. Fucking. Sauce.

First time I've played a game from the Warriors franchise and am really enjoying it.

I can see myself putting hundreds of hours into this including all of the DLC. Anyone know when the Season Pass thingummybob is going to be available here in the UK..? And how much it's going to cost..?

If I'm correct it's already up on the E-shop and it's 15 Euros for all 4 DLC packs. $20 for NA region and a lot more for Japan since Koei is handling DLC purchases over there.

First pack comes out October 16th along with the Koei Original Characters being made playable.

I'm in America and couldn't find the season pass on the Eshop, has it not gone up yet?

I'm beginning to think... Could Hyrule Warriors be a better game than Bayonetta 2 when all is said and done?

One thing I like about DW games is the sound effects coupled with the music don't get too loud to the point of being annoying. It actually becomes a pleasant experience on extended plays. The overall package becomes an addiction. This couldn't be said for Platinum games that become too stressful for their own good. For example, I played W101 only once and I wouldn't want to go through that hell again unless I have no other games to play. At one point, I had to turn the music off and turn the volume down.

Any thoughts on those who've completed both games already?

(I'm getting both games regardless)

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm beginning to think... Could Hyrule Warriors be a better game than Bayonetta 2 when all is said and done?

One thing I like about DW games is the sound effects coupled with the music don't get too loud to the point of being annoying. It actually becomes a pleasant experience on extended plays. The overall package becomes an addiction. This couldn't be said for Platinum games that become too stressful for their own good. For example, I played W101 only once and I wouldn't want to go through that hell again unless I have no other games to play. At one point, I had to turn the music off and turn the volume down.

Well. I can play as Ganondorf in one of them.

Still getting both. But I suspect I will be playing HW for a much longer time especially with the DLC.

Lunar15

So what you're saying is that you enjoy Dynasty Warriors and you dislike Platinum games. You might enjoy Hyrule Warriors more than Bayonetta 2 in this case, yes.
Why compare the two in the first place?

It will be for me. I never got the appeal of Bayonetta to be honest.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
So is this game any good? I'm a big Zelda fan but the gameplay looks rather monotonous and uninteresting.

If you're in the U.S., they have updated the wii u kiosks with the demo. I thought the same thing, and still do after playing the demo. I'll still buy it though because I am a sucker.

StAidan

My copy (ordered from Amazon) has shipped and will be here tomorrow. Can't wait to join in the fun, I'm excited to play it as my first Dynasty Warriors game!

So what you're saying is that you enjoy Dynasty Warriors and you dislike Platinum games. You might enjoy Hyrule Warriors more than Bayonetta 2 in this case, yes.
Why compare the two in the first place?

Because I want the Bayonetta series to succeed commercially--at least become as successful as the Dynasty Warriors franchise in Japan. The Japanese are not buying Platinum games and I suspect that they find Platinum games too noisy. I think if Kamiya could somehow make the sound effects more subdued (drastically reduce the ultra high frequency sounds) like what you get in Smash or Dynasty Warriors, their games would sell better.

I find it hard to believe you can't get the appeal of Bayonetta, even if you don't happen to like it yourself

This is something I've seen quite a bit on youtube comments. Its a shame cause Platinum games are underrated beyond belief :( which is a real shame to be honest cause I love there quality in games.

Lunar15

Because I want the Bayonetta series to succeed commercially--at least become as successful as the Dynasty Warriors franchise in Japan. The Japanese are not buying Platinum games and I suspect that they find Platinum games too noisy. I think if Kamiya could somehow make the sound effects more subdued (drastically reduce the ultra high frequency sounds) like what you get in Smash or Dynasty Warriors, their games would sell better.

That's a pretty odd conclusion to come to. I strongly doubt poor sales of platinum games come down to sound design. I think it's more that Platinum games are far more intimidating. It's harder for a wide audience to find satisfaction in them because it's harder to pull off techniques. Dynasty Warriors, in contrast, makes everything fairly easy to pull off and is more immediately satisfying to a large audience.

Actually, I've found the sound effects in DW games to be pretty annoying, and HW even more so. The rupee noise is really severe here. Either way, I still think sound design is a strange thing to point out as the main difference between the games....

That's a pretty odd conclusion to come to. I strongly doubt poor sales of platinum games come down to sound design. I think it's more that Platinum games are far more intimidating. It's harder for a wide audience to find satisfaction in them because it's harder to pull off techniques. Dynasty Warriors, in contrast, makes everything fairly easy to pull off and is more immediately satisfying to a large audience.

Actually, I've found the sound effects in DW games to be pretty annoying, and HW even more so. The rupee noise is really severe here. Either way, I still think sound design is a strange thing to point out as the main difference between the games....

The Music for me in HW is amazing. Sequence of Drops for the WIN.

fred

If I'm correct it's already up on the E-shop and it's 15 Euros for all 4 DLC packs. $20 for NA region and a lot more for Japan since Koei is handling DLC purchases over there.

First pack comes out October 16th along with the Koei Original Characters being made playable.

Just seen that it's called the Hero Pack, was looking for something called Season Pass. Bought it without hesitation. Really enjoyed the first two levels, will carry on playing later on this evening. I can see myself putting LOADS of time playing this.

You can't really make a direct comparison between the two, they're polar opposite derivatives of the beat up genre. As for sound design, that's pretty subjective. I prefer Bayonetta's over Hyrule Warriors. Its not really a good indicator on its commercial success.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I had to review Hyrule, and I'm....also...Bay...ehm...
two different genres, so it's up to people taste to differentiate and appreciate them, but:

Bayonetta2 is way more polished, animations are way superior, and BS is way deeper for being just a single characters. Thev ariety of situations is way bigger too. Technically is way better too, and it has online play mode.

Hyrule Warriors is way more replayable to me, especially because of the various modes, even with local coop, and costand DLC missions/characters incoming (they will support the game at least until next february)

Oh yeah, music has been pretty great. They put a lot of effort into the soundtrack. Could have gone for more remixes though, considering it's a fan service game.

After listening to the whole soundtrack on youtube and also through download. I agree but its still damn good none the less. This is one of the main reasons why I love Dynasty Warriors so much. The music is so KICK ASS.

Nohar

getting this tomorrow and can't wait to play it.

I noticed neogaf is, in general, in love with the game.

I was curious what the vibe on neogaf is when it comes to dynasty warriors in general?

I've gathered that HW is essentially a particularly good DW game + lovingly adorned with zelda stuff. Which I'm perfectly fine with.

It doesn't seem anyone answered your questions, so:

Dynasty Warriors games remain a little divisive on NeoGAF, but there is a dedicated community which enjoys the games a lot, and otherwise people are rather cool with new entries of the franchise, though there have been some disappointments with some games (Dynasty Warriors 6 was really disliked, and I believe one Gundam Warriors game is terribad, can't remember which though).

As for Hyrule Warriors, it lacks content compared to regular Musou games (less playable characters - which I'm fine with, since characters have different weapons with completly different movesets in this game - and less maps overall - this, on the other hand, is a problem for me), but the game is a very solid Musou game, with his own unique aspects, and a tribute to the Zelda franchise in general. The game has some flaws though, but remains a very enjoyable experience, and I don't regret buying it at all. Adventure mode is really fun too, and you will want to replay the very first Zelda game afterward.

@Theognosis: I don't think so. Both games are beat'em all, but Bayonetta 2 has a definitly more refined gameplay. Each of them provide a different experience in the end.

Effect

Tomorrow is the day! Not going to be able to play until the evening when I get home with the game but really looking forward to it.

Has there been any images of what is on the gamepad while playing?

m0t0k1

Tomorrow is the day! Not going to be able to play until the evening when I get home with the game but really looking forward to it.

Has there been any images of what is on the gamepad while playing?

No pictures but. It shows the battle history of events that happened on the battlefield. It has an item drag system so drag the item to your character and use it. Health bars of allies so you can see who you need to support. map of the battlefield

edit: found a video hope that sooths to your liking too not the best quality though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdw8Az_2wKU

It doesn't seem anyone answered your questions, so:

Dynasty Warriors games remain a little divisive on NeoGAF, but there is a dedicated community which enjoys the games a lot, and otherwise people are rather cool with new entries of the franchise, though there have been some disappointments with some games (Dynasty Warriors 6 was really disliked, and I believe one Gundam Warriors game is terribad, can't remember which though).

As for Hyrule Warriors, it lacks content compared to regular Musou games (less playable characters - which I'm fine with, since characters are different weapons with completly different movesets in this game - and less maps overall - this, on the other hand, is a problem for me), but the game is a very solid Musou game, with his own unique aspects, and a tribute to the Zelda franchise in general. The game has some flaws though, but remains a very enjoyable experience, and I don't regret buying it at all. Adventure mode is really fun too, and you will want to replay the very first Zelda game afterward.

@Theognosis: I don't think so. Both games are beat'em all, but Bayonetta 2 has a definitly more refined gameplay. Each of them provide a different experience in the end.

DW 6 sucked and I was beyond pissed with it. At least Empires was decent. However games like Strike Force was an odd game sure but the online was amazing.

DW 6 sucked and I was beyond pissed with it. At least Empires was decent. However games like Strike Force was an odd game sure but the online was amazing.

Oh, 6 was definitely a black sheep. 7 did in strides to make it better, and 8 is well, the best DW game of last generation. Hyrule Warriors is, well, a fresh start, so I'm not surprised at the amount of playable characters, but with adventure mode, free mode, and the story mode, there's alot of content to be enjoyed.

Top Bottom