• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Am Alive |OT| It's Actually Alive!

Me too. Bought this and Journey around the same time for the same price and would take this over Journey any day of the week.

Really? Can you give any specific reasons why? Because I happen to be having trouble deciding which one to download right now.

I love this game to bits!!!

tried the demo on PSN then bought it straight away and now i cant stop playing it lol

Its a long shot but do you guys think there well be DLC for this game ?

I would love some dlc episodes where they go into more detail about why everything has gone to hell.

mujun

Really? Can you give any specific reasons why? Because I happen to be having trouble deciding which one to download right now.

Well, I'll preface my reasons by saying that I am pretty big fan of post-apocalyptic stuff, love the setting. I am Alive also gives you a lot of bang for your buck (one run will take you at least 5 hours), creates a great feeling of tension (in the combat, the climbing and the exploration) but doesn't do it with overly hard or cheap gameplay. You need to think about how you are going to handle combat, plan out your routes when climbing and look out for trouble when exploring. They really nailed the atmosphere but not at the expense of fun imo.

There is definitely some jank with the game though. Mostly with the controls which can be a bit finicky here and there but it never bothered me to the point that I felt like griping about it.

Journey on the other hand is almost the exact opposite. It's very short (and imo not something I'm motivated to replay) and very reliant on it's artistic value and the player's willingness to let the story suck them in. Where I am Alive drew me into it's world by doing so many things to make me feel like I was actually living in a post-apocalyptic world Journey was too nebulous and vague for me. It is a great game and I enjoyed my playthrough but it was too dreamy and fluffy for me, I finished the game feeling that beyond the experience there wasn't much there for me to hold on to.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I've got the demo downloaded and I enjoyed it, if I buy this game is it just the demo and an unlock key? Thinking of deleting the demo to make room, but I'm not going to do it if I'm just going to have to download it again.

It's an unlock key, 100kb or something. Pretty sure most if not all PSN only games are like that, well the ones I've tried have been.

I'm still enjoying the game, although only coming back to it here and there for some slight progress. Only thing I don't like is the combat sections feel a bit like puzzles. Which person do I melee, which one do I shoot kind of scenarios. It's definitely not a deal breaker though. Getting back into a lot more climbing now (Chapt 5?) so starting to feel a lot more Dude Raider-ish which is a good thing.

Just finished the game. Ending wasn't very satisfactory but overall i felt it was a great game.

Reminded me of silent hill in a lot of ways, and not the recent games. A sequel may be pushing it too far, but very happy with the purchase

Sajjaja

I downloaded the demo of this game and I had high hopes for it. When it came the time to climb with that stamina meter, I just abandoned it. I don't really like that mechanic and find it rather annoying to be honest =/ Is it worth to fight past that mechanic?

randomwab

You know, I haven't played this since release, but something just jumped into my head...

Not really a spoiler in my opinion, but I'll post it behind them anyway.

At some point midway through the game, after you've left the apartment and are working your way through the dust filled streets, at one point you walk by a piece of road that's fallen away, and on the other side is a small piece of sidewalk that you can't get to with what looks like some sort of mutant or something just walking in circles. Nothing like that is anywhere else in the game from my knowledge, so what was up with that? Am I the only one who saw this?

Edit: Found a video of it. Look to the left. What's up with that? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXIcOlMpSVI&t=2m50s

Planning to finally get this game but can't decide which version to get.

I've heard nasty frame rate on ps3 version, can someone verify this?

Lima

You know, I haven't played this since release, but something just jumped into my head...

Not really a spoiler in my opinion, but I'll post it behind them anyway.

At some point midway through the game, after you've left the apartment and are working your way through the dust filled streets, at one point you walk by a piece of road that's fallen away, and on the other side is a small piece of sidewalk that you can't get to with what looks like some sort of mutant or something just walking in circles. Nothing like that is anywhere else in the game from my knowledge, so what was up with that? Am I the only one who saw this?

Edit: Found a video of it. Look to the left. What's up with that? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXIcOlMpSVI&t=2m50s

You CAN get to this guy. He wants something like a fruit can, food can and tons of other stuff and will give you a shotgun with 5 shots for it.

Just started this one. Love the atmosphere and the feel of the mechanics. So many unique encounters. Cant wait to keep playing it. My wife loves watching it. Thats a definite plus

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Sorry for the massive bump, but I've just started playing this and enjoying it heaps. I've got a bit of a similar vibe going in this as Spec Ops: The Line. It's absolutely flawed, but there's just a shitload of cool stuff and great ideas in there that make it rather fresh. It's been a while since I've actually felt real suspense playing a game. I also feel guilty offing survivors for their stuff :|

Top Bottom