• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I Am Alive |OT| It's Actually Alive!

This is a watershed for survival games.

I'm now wondering how The Last of Us and the new Tomb Raider will handle their survival mechanics. I hope those developers get some inspiration, or they'll feel really generic and boring after this game.

This is a watershed for survival games.

I'm now wondering how The Last of Us and the new Tomb Raider will handle their survival mechanics. I hope those developers get some inspiration, or they'll feel really generic and boring after this game.

I was playing Uncharted 3 yesterday and I've been spoiled by I Am Alive's traversal mechanics.

Kevtones

100% huge fan of this game. The rescue episode (18ish) had some genuinely unnerving moments. Haven't said that about a game in years.

132k on the leaderboards is a good sign but BUY THIS GAME.

CTE

Loved this game. Good contrast to what is normally considered "survival" in games. True tension filled moments in some levels. Totally worth the 1200 points.

Edit- I didn't mind the ending. I felt it was actually the most realistic ending if you think about what would happen in real life.
Saving another mother and child instead of his own wife and child has to be satisfying on some level to him. Maybe give him hope for the future

ksdixon

So is there a trick to managing your stamina in this game?

I'm playing the demo and without fail I'm falling off the bride that I'm trying to climb up/around/down the different sides of. This isn't the makings of a fun first impression.

Turnstyle

I bought this the other day, and am about an hour in so far. I have a few questions for those who have played through it...

Survivors:
Are these easy to spot? It says in the stats there are 20 to save, but I've only come across 1 so far...are some of them hidden away?

Climbing/traversal:
I've got to one bit that I am really struggling with. I've made it past the area in the Giant Bomb quick look (if you saw that), and am now climbing a building to reach a crane. There's a pipe to shimmy along, then you drop onto a slope, and roll to another pipe, lower down. This pipe goes some distance, and then becomes foot/hand holds. I've tried this several times, but always run out of stamina along the way. I can't even see the next point I have to get to. I know about using LB to plant a support and rest, but that doesn't seem to help. Help me Neogaf, you're my only hope.

So is there a trick to managing your stamina in this game?

I'm playing the demo and without fail I'm falling off the bride that I'm trying to climb up/around/down the different sides of. This isn't the makings of a fun first impression.

You're obviously doing something wrong because the climbs on that bridge are timed for you to survive no matter what, unless you're just pissing around up there.

Are you jumping too much? Just take your time, I know there is a section or two on the "tutorial bridge" that purposely put you in situations that swallow your stamina as an example, usually followed by an item.

is the game any good?

Try the trial, I guess. You'll either love it or hate it. I love it.

I bought this the other day, and am about an hour in so far. I have a few questions for those who have played through it...

Survivors:
Are these easy to spot? It says in the stats there are 20 to save, but I've only come across 1 so far...are some of them hidden away?

Yes and no.
Some are well hidden, others are obvious (i.e. you can see them from a distance ("distance") or hear them when you're near. Just check every nook and cranny if you're interested in rescuing them all.

Climbing/traversal:
I've got to one bit that I am really struggling with. I've made it past the area in the Giant Bomb quick look (if you saw that), and am now climbing a building to reach a crane. There's a pipe to shimmy along, then you drop onto a slope, and roll to another pipe, lower down. This pipe goes some distance, and then becomes foot/hand holds. I've tried this several times, but always run out of stamina along the way. I can't even see the next point I have to get to. I know about using LB to plant a support and rest, but that doesn't seem to help. Help me Neogaf, you're my only hope.

What do you mean the plant doesn't help? If it isn't recovering your stamina then you're not on it properly, it can be very finicky. I know the part you're talking about, took me a few tries as well. Just trial and error, can't really tell you what to do if it just comes down to timing.

Perhaps someone else could be more helpful than I am, lol. Good luck!

Blablurn

am i blind or i there no way to save in that game? i just played... went back to the movie because i thought i would return to that place... but i didnt :| started right at the beginning of the chapter.

Just finished this today. Sad it was shorter then I thought, but a great value for $15. Major props to Ubisoft for releasing this at that price point, it's perfect for what it is. They could have easily sold it for $60-40 and see who bites.

I loved this game. Thought it had a lot of great idea's; obviously not delivered as much as it could. But knowing what a mess this game was in, it came together surprisingly well. It just makes me more excited for the Last of Us, cannot wait!!!!x50.

But I recommend everyone playing the demo, it's basically what the entire game is and it's cool just to see the concept. My gf really loved the premise so she bought it for me, so all in all was a great experience!

mujun

Just finished this. Took me 5 and a half hours. Wow, very very happy with the game especially at 1200 points. One of the most tense games I've played. Not quite Demon's Souls levels but far more than say Condemned or Dead Space. This is how survival (horror) should be done imo.

I found it very very immersive and apart from a few niggling complaints (losing progress and ammo on checkpoint reloads, a little jank with certain actions, etc) I think the game is very very well put together.

I hope there is a sequel. Would love to see the game fleshed out a bit more. Would be nice to be able to build up a safehouse and actually rescue people and take them back to the safehouse. Expand the open world elements as the game is pretty open world already.

More than likely going onto my already quite crowded GOTY list (2012 best year in gaming ever, honestly ;))

Montresor

I just tried the demo for the first time and I'm really really impressed. I love the graphics as they help evoke the sense of despair in a post-apocalyptic world very well. I dig the grey, grainy art style a ton. But before I drop 1200 points I would like to ask some questions!

1) Can I reiterate Blablurn's question? What are the save points? Where will I appear if I choose to turn off the console and resume later? And can I assume wherever that puts me will be the same position I'm in if I run out of retries?

2) Is there a healthy focus on platforming in the full game? I loved scaling the bridge and seeing the beautiful sight of the water rushing below me.

3) In the second enemy encounter in the demo, when two guys emerge out of a wall and start running towarda me, how do I deal with both enemies without firing a bullet?

4) How difficult is the game on either difficulty? With regards to achievements too.

AwShucks

am i blind or i there no way to save in that game? i just played... went back to the movie because i thought i would return to that place... but i didnt :| started right at the beginning of the chapter.

Unless a loading screen came up chances are you didn't save anywhere. It's not very clear when the game saves and it's pretty annoying.

There are checkpoints, which also aren't clear and are only used for retries I believe.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Downloaded the 360 demo, but about halfway through the demo it locked up my 360. Had to reboot (losing all progress, of course). Is the full game buggy for anyone?

mujun

I just tried the demo for the first time and I'm really really impressed. I love the graphics as they help evoke the sense of despair in a post-apocalyptic world very well. I dig the grey, grainy art style a ton. But before I drop 1200 points I would like to ask some questions!

1) Can I reiterate Blablurn's question? What are the save points? Where will I appear if I choose to turn off the console and resume later? And can I assume wherever that puts me will be the same position I'm in if I run out of retries?

2) Is there a healthy focus on platforming in the full game? I loved scaling the bridge and seeing the beautiful sight of the water rushing below me.

3) In the second enemy encounter in the demo, when two guys emerge out of a wall and start running towarda me, how do I deal with both enemies without firing a bullet?

4) How difficult is the game on either difficulty? With regards to achievements too.

1-There are a lot of checkpoints which cuts down on frustration. Save points however are fewer and further between. I'd say there is one about every 10 minutes and the screen goes black and you get a saving symbol when you hit one.

2-Yes, about 1/3 of the game is platforming. Another 1/3 or even more is travelling and exploring. Less than 1/3 is combat.

3-Hold your empty gun up and push x to intimidate. Back the enemy up into a fire or off a cliff. Alternatively don't draw your gun and hit x when the first one approaches to quick kill. Then x when close to the second to enter struggle kill mode where you need to jam on RB.

4-A little challenging on normal difficulty. You can probably get half the achievements on one 5.5 hour run through with a little effort (backtrack/take note of survivor locations so you can go back and give them what they need).

Montresor

1-There are a lot of checkpoints which cuts down on frustration. Save points however are fewer and further between. I'd say there is one about every 10 minutes and the screen goes black and you get a saving symbol when you hit one.

2-Yes, about 1/3 of the game is platforming. Another 1/3 or even more is travelling and exploring. Less than 1/3 is combat.

3-Hold your empty gun up and push x to intimidate. Back the enemy up into a fire or off a cliff. Alternatively don't draw your gun and hit x when the first one approaches to quick kill. Then x when close to the second to enter struggle kill mode where you need to jam on RB.

4-A little challenging on normal difficulty. You can probably get half the achievements on one 5.5 hour run through with a little effort (backtrack/take note of survivor locations so you can go back and give them what they need).

Thanks a bunch for your answers! Honestly I was a bit turned off by that IGN review (4.5 out of 10) but there are so many positive responses in this thread and the metacritic for the game is decent (70).

I'm definitely going to get this game, but AFTER I deal with some of the XBLA games in my backlog (and probably Max Payne 3 and Mass Effect 3 too). The game sounds awesome and the demo has sold me.

Played the demo, DEFINITELY picking up. Wow, really liked it and I was worried it would be a lost cause.

Any word on the viability of the PS3 version? Or is it too soon?

Montresor

Played the demo, DEFINITELY picking up. Wow, really liked it and I was worried it would be a lost cause.

Any word on the viability of the PS3 version? Or is it too soon?

I saw your other post and I'm glad to see you tried out the demo! I was blown away by the platforming section on the bridge. The game has some warts here and there (once I hit street level I saw a skeleton with horrendous textures) but the games looks really good.

Is smh allowed here? Cause s m h

Doesn't every new PS3 game have trophies? How does a game have trophies but no platinum?

To be fair to him, I would say I really really really REALLY love achievements, not so much because I like to accumulate gamerscore, but because I love how each new game builds onto your entire "games played list" and lets you keep track of which games you've completed 100%, or halfway, or quit before beating the campaign, etc... throughout this gen.

Zomba13

The game isn't as bad as some reviews made it out to be. There are definite problems (It even crashed on me once for no reason) but there is a good idea behind the game and it does interesting things well.

Derrick01

Banned
Doesn't every new PS3 game have trophies? How does a game have trophies but no platinum?

To be fair to him, I would say I really really really REALLY love achievements, not so much because I like to accumulate gamerscore, but because I love how each new game builds onto your entire "games played list" and lets you keep track of which games you've completed 100%, or halfway, or quit before beating the campaign, etc... throughout this gen.

PSN games don't have platinums for the most part, which really sucks when you have HD remakes like RE4 or Beyond Good and Evil which are full 10+ hour games and they only have 12 trophies due to xbla's achievement policy.

bubnbob

Banned
PSN games don't have platinums for the most part, which really sucks when you have HD remakes like RE4 or Beyond Good and Evil which are full 10+ hour games and they only have 12 trophies due to xbla's achievement policy.

By the time you've earned all the achievements for either of those games, you have experienced all it has to offer. I'd say they're pretty fair. Resident Evil 4 also gives you a full 1000 compared to BG&E's 200

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Damn, played the demo and it blew me away. The concept and execution are really great. I'm surprised that I haven't hear more people talking about this. If the full game is as good as the demo it's definitely something special. It's also really refreshing to play through a demo and only find 1 bullet the whole time.

impact

Banned

Trine 2 has a platinum for the same price as this game. Actually plenty of PSN games do.

Trine 2 has a platinum for the same price as this game. Actually plenty of PSN games do.

So you're not going to buy a good game because it doesn't have a Platinum Trophy?

ibrHgKriv2Y7C6.gif

anddo0

Played the demo, loved it, bought it. I wish we could get rid of the interface. But other than that I'm pleasantly surprised.

Himself

Wow. Just popped in here not expecting to see such positive feedback after the press reamed the game out, even though i know not to trust metacritic by now...

Gonna give the demo a shot.

Wow. Just popped in here not expecting to see such positive feedback after the press reamed the game out, even though i know not to trust metacritic by now...

Gonna give the demo a shot.

Yea, I have no idea what's up with critics lately. They are always out of the loop, but it's beginning to seem more prevalent recently. I hope we reach a point where we don't depend on their opinions anymore.

But maybe it's because our expectations were in check when we went into it. I wasn't expecting anything at all and was really surprised. Also, it probably has a lot to do with value. Since critics get all their games for free, gamers probably have more appreciation when they get something at a good price and it has some value.

Ridley327

Has there been any word of a possible PC port? I liked the demo, but I was severely underwhelmed by the performance and overall IQ.

Kevtones

Love seeing the positive impressions. I think this is one of the more cohesive and thematically consistent games I've ever played. Incredible taking into account the insane development hell.

The game gets better and better I think too. The end level is a bit anti-climactic but the levels directly before it are tense. One of them has some pretty artful depravity, too.

BUY THIS GAME

Montresor

Love seeing the positive impressions. I think this is one of the more cohesive and thematically consistent games I've ever played. Incredible taking into account the insane development hell.

The game gets better and better I think too. The end level is a bit anti-climactic but the levels directly before it are tense. One of them has some pretty artful depravity, too.

BUY THIS GAME

Even if I can't find time to play the game before April is done, I'll buy the game. That's because of the whole Triple Play deal Microsoft has going. Part of the promotion involves playing 10 hours of multiplayer OR spending 800+ points on an XBLA game in an effort to earn a free 300 points at the end of the month.

I'm gonna be playing nothing but single player games this month (Mass Effect 3, maybe a bit of Alan Wake American Nightmare) so I don't think I can really squeeze in 10 hours of multi. So I'll be dropping 1200 points on I Am Alive!

Yea, I have no idea what's up with critics lately. They are always out of the loop, but it's beginning to seem more prevalent recently. I hope we reach a point where we don't depend on their opinions anymore...

when i say peoples' tastes are being shaped, this's what i mean: most reviewers aren't just highly praising those select titles that must be highly praised, they're also trashing / low-balling just about everything else. & it's pretty blatant...

Derrick01

Banned

Yeah I know Battle Fantasia has one too (thanks PS+ :D). But most normal PSN games don't, though I can't tell you why some do have one. It would imply that Sony either makes exceptions or lets people do what they want, and for most multiplatform games it usually looks like they just copy their xbla achievement list over (where MS does have strict rules regarding number of achievements and points).

Game looks to be selling really well on XBLA, was #1 for first 3 weeks on sale and #2 in the latest week. Hopefully this leads to a more fleshed out, fuller game at some point.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Just played the trial which is the first time I've seen this game since the exclusive reveal back in Dec 08/Jan 09 in some UK mag. Very impressed with the game so far. Started on Survival, it's the only way to play. Really loved the sense of urgency when climbing, makes you try and plan routes as well.

Purchased, Plat or no Plat, who cares. Experience > some little trophy image. ;)

Just played the trial which is the first time I've seen this game since the exclusive reveal back in Dec 08/Jan 09 in some UK mag. Very impressed with the game so far. Started on Survival, it's the only way to play. Really loved the sense of urgency when climbing, makes you try and plan routes as well.

Purchased, Plat or no Plat, who cares. Experience > some little trophy image. ;)

Had the opposite effect for me. I just tried the demo and deleted it. Traversal in this game is a chore. Other games with traversal are fluid and fun, this just sucks all the enjoyment out of it. The main character is either emphysemic or has puny muscles. I can handle average looking games too but this game is hideous looking, a jaggy, grey, PS2 era assault on the eyes. Pass.

mujun

Had the opposite effect for me. I just tried the demo and deleted it. Traversal in this game is a chore. Other games with traversal are fluid and fun, this just sucks all the enjoyment out of it. The main character is either emphysemic or has puny muscles. I can handle average looking games too but this game is hideous looking, a jaggy, grey, PS2 era assault on the eyes. Pass.

It's a survival game. I think they handled the traversal well personally (except for slightly loose controls). It's nerve wracking when it needs to be but not overly punishing.

I've got the demo downloaded and I enjoyed it, if I buy this game is it just the demo and an unlock key? Thinking of deleting the demo to make room, but I'm not going to do it if I'm just going to have to download it again.

Scapegoat

The main character is either emphysemic or has puny muscles.
Uhh... have you ever tried to hold your entire body weight with your fingers while climbing? It's not easy and most people wouldn't be able to do it for any longer than a few seconds at a time.

Top Bottom