• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I am guessing Nintendo won't show off the Switch successor until 2025?

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
I know Nintendo doesn't like to show product that is too far out. Looks to be at he earliest Spring 2025 or even Holiday 2025 for the next Nintendo Console. Safe to assume we will not see anything on it until next year?

Safe to assume we will not see anything on it until next year?

No. But they could wait until August or September. This with the assumption it will release in March-April.

They could launch around CES but I think that would mean a June-July release. I don't think they can go any later than that.

(Nintendo's been rumored to want 10 million available Day 1, and the announcement has to happen before they go into mass production)

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I hope they show it off this year, but I don't think they will. I don't think they'll want to cannibalize whatever holiday Switch sales they can squeeze out, since this will be the last holiday for the Switch 1.

My guess is that they'll show off the Switch 2 between January-March, with a Spring or Fall release date. I don't think they'll wait until the holiday to sell it, though, because it will invariably sell out no matter when they release it, and I'm sure they'll want to get a good handful of shipments out before Christmas.

Then again, it's Nintendo. They could fuckin' shadow drop the Switch 2 tomorrow for all we know. They be wilin'

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
and the announcement has to happen before they go into mass production
Is that true? I'm genuinely asking. Is that because once mass production starts it invariably gets leaked? Is that how they've done it in the past? That definitely makes the announcement timeline more interesting.

Dacvak

This was October 20th, 2016

True. But if Switch 2 has backwards compatibility like we all assume it will, the difference in announcing it before Christmas is that many people might simply wait until the Switch 2 comes out instead of buying a Switch 1 during the holidays.

Then again, I'm thinking more like a gamer, and less like a mom. So who knows.

I do think that if they announce a Switch 2 before Christmas, they will IMMEDIATELY need to lower the price of the Switch 1 in order to capitalize on end-of-life sales.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m hoping for this year, but yeah, I’m not sure after their 13M Switch sales estimate.

I’m not convinced they’ll be able to reach 13M if they announce a successor before the holiday quarter, where they make the majority of their sales each year.

Doesn’t seem unlikely to me that it could be early 2025.

True. But if Switch 2 has backwards compatibility like we all assume it will, the difference in announcing it before Christmas is that many people might simply wait until the Switch 2 comes out instead of buying a Switch 1 during the holidays.

Then again, I'm thinking more like a gamer, and less like a mom. So who knows.

I do think that if they announce a Switch 2 before Christmas, they will IMMEDIATELY need to lower the price of the Switch 1 in order to capitalize on end-of-life sales.
The only reason to try and sabotage the reveal, hype, and rollout of a brand new Nintendo console, simply to make sure the Switch sell more units, would be seen a petty reason.

Dacvak

The only reason to try and sabotage the reveal, hype, and rollout of a brand new Nintendo console, simply to make sure the Switch sell more units, would be seen a petty reason.
I mean, to be fair, that's the entire point of the business lol. Plus I'm sure that Nintendo wants the trophy of "best selling console of all-time", which they're incredibly close to achieving.

I mean, to be fair, that's the entire point of the business lol. Plus I'm sure that Nintendo wants the trophy of "best selling console of all-time", which they're incredibly close to achieving.
I guess time will tell what matters to them more. I'm thinking modern day Nintendo prefers money slightly more than titles.

Calverz

I think next year. Nintendo will want one last hurrah for switch this Xmas and go for that ps2 sales record. Remember Nintendo fucking hate Sony. So they won’t want an announcement pre Xmas to potentially ruin sales of current hardware this year.

Dacvak

I guess time will tell what matters to them more. I'm thinking modern day Nintendo prefers money slightly more than titles.
Oh I misunderstood what you meant in your first post. Yeah, I do see your point. Instead of the Switch 2 cannibalizing end-of-life Switch 1 sales, you're saying focusing on Switch 1 for the rest of the year could potentially hurt Switch 2 sales. Yeah, I think that's a possibility. Though I do personally think it's more likely that the Switch 2 will sell out regardless.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
After the direct, I'm inclined to agree. They have a surprising amount of games for this year and the next. However, would make no sense for them to recognize the switch 2 existence if they aren't launching this fiscal year.

Will they reveal and launch the console on the three first months of 2025? I doubt that.

Solarstrike

Nobody on Earth or anywhere in the known galaxy can predict what Nintendo will do at any given time. It is theoretically impossible. What might work (and that's a big might) is if one travels into the future to see what Nintendo has done, then return without Nintendo's interdimensional suits of killer hit squads noticing.

Dacvak

Nobody on Earth or anywhere in the known galaxy can predict what Nintendo will do at any given time. It is theoretically impossible. What might work (and that's a big might) is if one travels into the future to see what Nintendo has done, then return without Nintendo's interdimensional suits of killer hit squads noticing.
Finally, a sane answer to the question.

I have picked up on a pattern since 2001. Nintendo likes Spring and Fall/Early Winter more than summer.

Astral Dog

I was wrong, they said "this fiscal year" lol, im still thinking fall since they always show something those months, maybe a teaser with the full presentation early next year

Last edited:

blacktout

No, they’ve confirmed they’ll show it within this fiscal year, which ends March 31, 2025.

This.

I imagine whether or not we see it this year is dependent on their planned release date.

If it is next spring, then we'll probably see at least a teaser in September or October, if not a full reveal.

If it's fall or holiday 2025, then we definitely won't see anything until early next year.

If it's next summer, then, I don't know, flip a coin.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Is that true? I'm genuinely asking. Is that because once mass production starts it invariably gets leaked? Is that how they've done it in the past? That definitely makes the announcement timeline more interesting.
It was in the past, but things are different now. Just think of how long it takes to get a smartphone out there after they announce it. We have systems today to control that kind of information.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
Furukawa said he will introduce it during this fiscal year. He's not a politician, so why you are not trusting him?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Furukawa said he will introduce it during this fiscal year. He's not a politician, so why you are not trusting him?
Just to be clear, Furukawa said the Switch successor would be talked about by the end of the fiscal year. Not that it would be launched by then. So, spring 2025 is still within that.. the product itself could be as far off as two years or more.

Last edited:

RCU005

the product itself could be as far off as two years or more.

That's ridiculous. The Switch 2 will release Q1 2025, or Q2 at the latest in case something happens.

This is definitely the last calendar year of the Switch. By the end of the year we will all be talking about the Switch 2.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I know Nintendo doesn't like to show product that is too far out. Looks to be at he earliest Spring 2025 or even Holiday 2025 for the next Nintendo Console. Safe to assume we will not see anything on it until next year?
I’m with you I believe they think they can push it till fall 2025. After holidays drop price to 199.99 to clear inventory and push third party and 2 remasters or something.

Top Bottom