• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I installed Norton Antivirus 2004. Now stuff is fucked up in my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
So I just recently installed Norton Antivurs 2004 in my system. Afte rthe installation I had to go so I just left Norton on... When I came back it showed me all these messages like Email Scanning not complete or could not reach email client.. something to that extent. There were like 50 of these messages. Anyways I just closed all of them and then noticed thatg my internet was down. So maybe that was the reason for all these messages.

Anyways I restart my computetr, and I try opening up Internet Explorer. I click on the IE icon and it gives my the hourglass logo for awhile then nothing opens. I see IExplore.exe in my processes list but no actual internet explorer window. I try logging into MSN, msn open alright but when I press Sign In the MSN icon spins once then freezes. I try open up Norton, the screen comes up it goes into the program then freezes. So those 3 programs seem to be messed up. My Winamp works and my Mozilla Firefox works still.

Anyways anyone know what may be the cause of this problem?

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I had Norton Antivirus 2003.. but I made sure to uninstall that before installing Norton 2004

callous

I don't know about IE and Outlook, but I do know several people who simply had to uninstall NAV 04 to get MSN Messenger functionality back.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Same thing happened to my mons laptop. Sever slow down and a lot of shit didnt work, so i uninstalled it.

impirius

MetatronM said:
Am I the only one who read the thread title and immediately said "NO SHIT" out loud?
"I spilled water on my floor. Now it's wet."
"I shot a nun in the head. Now she's dead."

It's simple cause and effect... the once-proud Norton suite has turned into garbage that will wreck your system. Uninstall that junk and get AVG.

Norton is garbage all of the sudden because of the two security holes found and patched? Purleeeze....... I never had problems with Norton while I had some with McAffee. Does that mean McAffee is garbage because of my single experience?

Norton, McAffee, whatever it is, long as it's reputable AV program, it's fine, as long as you ido a fresh install right after you've installed Windows from scratch. Never had any problems as long as I've done it this way.

Installing AV on a old or preinstalled Windows install always gave me problems one way or another however.

Shogmaster said:
Norton is garbage all of the sudden because of the two security holes found and patched? Purleeeze....... I never had problems with Norton while I had some with McAffee. Does that mean McAffee is garbage because of my single experience?

Norton, McAffee, whatever it is, long as it's reputable AV program, it's fine, as long as you ido a fresh install right after you've installed Windows from scratch. Never had any problems as long as I've done it this way.

Installing AV on a old or preinstalled Windows install always gave me problems one way or another however.
good call.

Hooker

I've been using Trend Micro PC-Cillin ever since I got it with my motherboard (ASUS) and never had any problems. While I did have problems with McAfee and Norton.

impirius said:
"I spilled water on my floor. Now it's wet."
"I shot a nun in the head. Now she's dead."

It's simple cause and effect... the once-proud Norton suite has turned into garbage that will wreck your system. Uninstall that junk and get AVG.

+1000

Well, if you'd read the reviews of Norton 2004 at Amazon or elsewhere, you would have seen that it's a steaming pile of shit. I'm sticking with Norton Internet Security 2003.

Error Macro said:
Well, if you'd read the reviews of Norton 2004 at Amazon or elsewhere, you would have seen that it's a steaming pile of shit. I'm sticking with Norton Internet Security 2003.

Really? I'm still using my NAV 2003. Maybe that's why I have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom