• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
@Grinchy (Srry, quoting isnt working for me for some reason at the moment)

I'm thinking about buying the Antec Skeleton case whenever I see a good deal on it. My reason for wanting it is future upgrading. It seems like this case makes it really simple to tinker with the insides, and I like the look of it too.

Anyone have impressions or know anything bad about this case?

I had this case in a previous build last year, have since switched from it. It's a fun case at first, and definitely a cool case, especially at the lan parties(had mine custom painted and with lights). Downside is, Not a lot of room for serious parts. The nicer psu's don't fit as easily, and the powered gfx cards(the 4 i went through) all had the power cables in the way of the top fan, so I had to shut the fan off to use it. Another thing, it wont open on the fly on its own, especially with a video card plugged into it, as the card is screwed down to the crossbar on the back, which makes the mobo try not slide until you remove the gfx card. I loved it for about 3 months, then the small problems started to outweigh the novelty of it.

If you want a nice case for future-proofing, and plenty of room to easily work in, I recommend a Silverstone Raven RV02. Its versatile, PLENTY of room, and even has existing structure built in for big cards, sold state drives, and liquid cooling. Also, the cable mgmt on the case is phenomenal. Same price, just as cool, with more functionality, less hassle(IMO).

Just my two cents.

Ploid 3.0

ChaoticEko said:

I'm thinking about buying the Antec Skeleton case whenever I see a good deal on it. My reason for wanting it is future upgrading. It seems like this case makes it really simple to tinker with the insides, and I like the look of it too.

Anyone have impressions or know anything bad about this case?

I had this case in a previous build last year, have since switched from it. It's a fun case at first, and definitely a cool case, especially at the lan parties(had mine custom painted and with lights). Downside is, Not a lot of room for serious parts. The nicer psu's don't fit as easily, and the powered gfx cards(the 4 i went through) all had the power cables in the way of the top fan, so I had to shut the fan off to use it. Another thing, it wont open on the fly on its own, especially with a video card plugged into it, as the card is screwed down to the crossbar on the back, which makes the mobo try not slide until you remove the gfx card. I loved it for about 3 months, then the small problems started to outweigh the novelty of it.

If you want a nice case for future-proofing, and plenty of room to easily work in, I recommend a Silverstone Raven RV02. Its versatile, PLENTY of room, and even has existing structure built in for big cards, sold state drives, and liquid cooling. Also, the cable mgmt on the case is phenomenal. Same price, just as cool, with more functionality, less hassle(IMO).

Just my two cents.

I just watched a video on this case after seeing it mentioned here and that's pretty much what the dudes said there too. Even showed how frustrated the guy was when he tried to show how you slide out the motherboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7vDBWv311Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=766s

momolicious said:
ok, I ran Driver sweeper and said there was some error in removing or something. I did it in safe mode. It didnt matter as i manually deleted the drivers from the remove apps section. Now im still getting the blue screen error and says error with video driver file nv4_mini.sys. There is artifacts on startup when loading dell screen.

EDIT: I deleted the drivers manually through safe mode. When i reset it still has the artifacts on the dell loadup screen! what is wrong?! so is it not really a driver problem but my 8800GT is defected because of The Witcher??

Does anybody have an idea whats wrong? i did the safe mode driver sweep, then reinstalled latest driver and still nothing, all same.

Grinchy

Banned
ChaoticEko said:
*snip*
Just my two cents.

Cool, thanks a lot for that. That's exactly what I needed; a real user's honest impression of the case. I kept watching videos for it and I'd see a bunch of positive things being said, and I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to have problems exactly like you mentioned. I will take a serious look at the case you suggested.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I just watched a video on this case after seeing it mentioned here and that's pretty much what the dudes said there too. Even showed how frustrated the guy was when he tried to show how you slide out the motherboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7vDBWv311Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=766s
:lol
Wow, what a piece of shit. Ok, I'm pretty glad I didn't jump on a deal.

TheKurgan said:
Question: I have one core on my 2500k that is about 36-37c at idle, while the other 3 cores idle around 30-32. Is this normal or a thermal paste / heat sink issue?

I have read that it is not abnormal to have that occur. My 2500k does the exact same thing.

MSIMagus

Neo Member
Hazaro said:
Now is a great time to build and if you are on a budget the OP build is not really going to drop a ton.

Hmmmm you dont think that waiting 6 months to a year will mean a signifcant upgrade in tech or a few hundred saved building? Id love to just buy a new PC right now since this PC is like 6 years old now, but I figured id save a ton or get a pretty beefy upgrade if I waited 6 months to a year.

scogoth

MSIMagus said:
Hmmmm you dont think that waiting 6 months to a year will mean a signifcant upgrade in tech or a few hundred saved building? Id love to just buy a new PC right now since this PC is like 6 years old now, but I figured id save a ton or get a pretty beefy upgrade if I waited 6 months to a year.

You will always get a better system in 6 months, even 6 months from now that will be true. Sandy bridge + current GPUs are going to eat any game right now and for the next couple years and waiting isn't going to change that.

Wallach

MSIMagus said:

That will always be the case, though. The only reason I'd wait right now is if you're waiting to play something that isn't out and you don't really want to play anything else that is on the market currently.

bill0527

I managed to scrape up some more funds so I'm going with an i5 2500k and I've got the rest of the components to go with it picked out - motherboard, RAM, HDD (no SSD for me yet).

Its now down to 2 video cards. Price-wise its about a $15 difference so its basically a wash to me. They've both also got $20 rebates on them until the end of the month. I'm not an AMD or Nvidia fanboy when it comes to cards. I've owned many of both over the last 10-15 years. I just go with whichever has the best card with the best price/performance ratio for my budget, when I'm ready to buy.

So its now down to:

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 $234.99 - $20 MIR

HIS H695FN2G2M Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 $249.99 - $20 MIR

HELP ME DECIDE GAF I CANNOT THINK FOR MYSELF..!!!11142#@##

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
MSIMagus said:
In 6 months Bulldozer will be out (not a huge deal) and the new GPU card stuff should be out.
Ivy will use 1155 most likely so getting an i5 and swapping the graphics later makes the most sense now.

If you'd like to build, build now. It's a good time.

Wallach

bill0527 said:
I managed to scrape up some more funds so I'm going with an i5 2500k and I've got the rest of the components to go with it picked out - motherboard, RAM, HDD (no SSD for me yet).

Its now down to 2 video cards. Price-wise its about a $15 difference so its basically a wash to me. They've both also got $20 rebates on them until the end of the month. I'm not an AMD or Nvidia fanboy when it comes to cards. I've owned many of both over the last 10-15 years. I just go with whichever has the best card with the best price/performance ratio for my budget, when I'm ready to buy.

So its now down to:

EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 $234.99 - $20 MIR

Between those two I'd personally choose the 6950.

zoku88

Anyone have a recommendation for a good PC controller? Was looking for one of those Sega Saturn ones, but I can't find them in stock anywhere...

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
bill0527 said:

So its now down to:

6950 will do you good. So will a 560 Ti.

If I had $220 to spend I think I would pick up this eVGA 560Ti with a custom cooler and 10yr warranty. Amazon also has it for $220 + free shipping. I'm actually tempted to buy 2 and SLi them. Ha!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130651

Aselith

bill0527 said:

So its now down to:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...27565&cm_re=msi_560_ti-_-14-127-565-_-Product

May I suggest this one if you decide to go Nvidia? It is a really awesome card. I just got one and it runs everything I've tried including Metro 2033 at max settings 1920x1080 with very little if any lowered frames and it runs cool as shit. My case isn't particularly well ventilated and it still runs extremely cool.

bill0527

Aselith said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...27565&cm_re=msi_560_ti-_-14-127-565-_-Product

May I suggest this one if you decide to go Nvidia? It is a really awesome card. I just got one and it runs everything I've tried including Metro 2033 at max settings 1920x1080 with very little if any lowered frames and it runs cool as shit. My case isn't particularly well ventilated and it still runs extremely cool.

Yeah that looks like a nice card. Only reason I picked out EVGA is because almost every Nvidia card I've ever purchased has been EVGA and they've had great customer service for me and responded quickly to issues and problems I've posted on their forums.

Wallach

bill0527 said:
Yeah that looks like a nice card. Only reason I picked out EVGA is because almost every Nvidia card I've ever purchased has been EVGA and they've had great customer service for me and responded quickly to issues and problems I've posted on their forums.

eVGA is an awesome vendor, I agree.

Long story short - they are both really good cards, so you aren't going to hurt yourself either way. Go with your own preferences.

I'm in need of a new keyboard. My Logitech Wave has been on the fritz for a few weeks now even on a full charge.

Budget is around $70 or so. I want a few macro keys, back lighting isn't too important. I don't want anything that looks too gamey either which includes glossy finishes.

Any recommendations?

n0n44m

f0rk said:
What difference does RAM voltages make? The OP says 1.5V, but this 1.65V set is cheaper and doesn't look as stupid as this

none really, although Intel advises 1.5 for Sandy Bridge 1.65 works fine as well

1.5 is generally newer and more efficient I guess, but nothing really noticeable for the end-user (I've got the stupid looking sticks :p )

f0rk

n0n44m said:
none really, although Intel advises 1.5 for Sandy Bridge 1.65 works fine as well

1.5 is generally newer and more efficient I guess, but nothing really noticeable for the end-user (I've got the stupid looking sticks :p )

Ok thanks. I'll probably suck it up and get the more expensive ones, it's just their 'extreme' branding is really off putting for me.

RS4-

Hrm, the Sapphire Pure Black p67 boards have some funky PCIe stuff going on. Four slots (16, 8, 8, and I think the latter was either 4 or 1.1) but you can mix GPU brands to some extent; for example an AMD 6950 and nVidia 570.

n0n44m

RS4- said:
Hrm, the Sapphire Pure Black p67 boards have some funky PCIe stuff going on. Four slots (16, 8, 8, and I think the latter was either 4 or 1.1) but you can mix GPU brands to some extent; for example an AMD 6950 and nVidia 570.

uses Lucid Hydra for the mixed brands ... so totally useless for gaming performance if the previous iterations are anything to go by

RS4-

n0n44m said:
uses Lucid Hydra for the mixed brands ... so totally useless for gaming performance if the previous iterations are anything to go by

Oh yeah fuck, thanks. Those were in the z68 boards too right?

edit - lol, didn't realize Lucid Hydra has been around for a while.

Binabik15

Here´s two different builds

one 6950 with 850 Watt PSU

GTX 580 with 750 Watt PSU

Imagine an CPU cooler and Windows added to that list, will be bought somewhere else. HDD might be changed to 2 TB, it´s just a placeholder right now. The 6950 is a reference design, dont worry.

Goal: a rig that says come at me bro to Battlefield 3 and sends it home weeping at 1050/1080p.

A single 580 should be enough and much less hassle than crossfire´d (possibly unlocked) 6950s, but less powerfull at only 35€ less. No microstuttering, heating issues and nvidia control panel or whatever it´s called would be nice, of course (I have an ATI card). BUT: higher initial investment is probably a no go, I doubt that my dad would spend that much more money for my brother´s gift, it´s already expensive as it is.

The 6950 would be pretty good for games right now and with the stronger PSU allows for a)dropping in a second one once they´re cheaper and games are getting more demanding b)alternatively, get a stronger single GPU then the 580 next year or 2013 without spending 400€ right now. All about dem options.

IF someone with a Crossfire setup could confirm that the 750 Watt PSU is enough for an moderately OCed (if at all) 2500k and two (possibly unlocked) 6950s, then the price difference is over 200€ and a knockout win for the 6950 build. No way our dad would buy the more expensive one at such a difference.

Maybe a CF setup would even force my brother to tinker with his pc himself. Why? Because I can easily beat him up should he annoy me with cries for help :p

PS: I don´t know where I put my cooling paste when I build my own pc last year, which one of the one billion different ones would you recommend?

Coldsnap

Question: How much performance increase will I see going from 4gigs to 8 gigs? My computer is a i5 2500k GTX 560 Twin Frozr II ect ect. I'm trying to decide between getting two more 4 gig sticks or getting a new bicycle seat. I am really happy with my computer performance at the moment, ram always confused me though because I see a lot of people with 18gigs of ram yet i have a better cpu / video card then them; with 4 gigs of ram I've been able to play everything on the highest settings.

n0n44m

RS4- said:
Oh yeah fuck, thanks. Those were in the z68 boards too right?

edit - lol, didn't realize Lucid Hydra has been around for a while.

yeah it's been around for a year or two now, and every review so far has been disappointing :( would've loved to hook up a 570 with my 480 :p

Binabik15 said:
Here´s two different builds

one 6950 with 850 Watt PSU

GTX 580 with 750 Watt PSU

Imagine an CPU cooler and Windows added to that list, will be bought somewhere else. HDD might be changed to 2 TB, it´s just a placeholder right now. The 6950 is a reference design, dont worry.

Goal: a rig that says come at me bro to Battlefield 3 and sends it home weeping at 1050/1080p.

A single 580 should be enough and much less hassle than crossfire´d (possibly unlocked) 6950s, but less powerfull at only 35€ less. No microstuttering, heating issues and nvidia control panel or whatever it´s called would be nice, of course (I have an ATI card). BUT: higher initial investment is probably a no go, I doubt that my dad would spend that much more money for my brother´s gift, it´s already expensive as it is.

The 6950 would be pretty good for games right now and with the stronger PSU allows for a)dropping in a second one once they´re cheaper and games are getting more demanding b)alternatively, get a stronger single GPU then the 580 next year or 2013 without spending 400€ right now. All about dem options.

IF someone with a Crossfire setup could confirm that the 750 Watt PSU is enough for an moderately OCed (if at all) 2500k and two (possibly unlocked) 6950s, then the price difference is over 200€ and a knockout win for the 6950 build. No way our dad would buy the more expensive one at such a difference.

Maybe a CF setup would even force my brother to tinker with his pc himself. Why? Because I can easily beat him up should he annoy me with cries for help :p

PS: I don´t know where I put my cooling paste when I build my own pc last year, which one of the one billion different ones would you recommend?

yeah the 6950 build should be fine ... I've heard about people running crossfired 6950s on a Corsair HX650 , though unlocking them would push their energy usage towards 6970 levels I guess...

if your brother is mainly concerned with BF3 the cheaper build will do fine. Worst case you'd get another 6950 which by then is around ~175 max, or upgrade to some newer generation card later on for a bit more

get some Arctic Cooling MX-4 paste

Coldsnap said:
Question: How much performance increase will I see going from 4gigs to 8 gigs? My computer is a i5 2500k GTX 560 Twin Frozr II ect ect. I'm trying to decide between getting two more 4 gig sticks or getting a new bicycle seat. I am really happy with my computer performance at the moment, ram always confused me though because I see a lot of people with 18gigs of ram yet i have a better cpu / video card then them; with 4 gigs of ram I've been able to play everything on the highest settings.

right now 4 is enough for (virtually) every game ... I went with 8 because RAMs pretty cheap now and I rather run 2 instead of 4 sticks for (extreme) overclockability

and I always game with 30 tabs of Chrome in the background ;)

I do wonder what BF3 ram usage is going to be like now that it is truly a 64 bit application ?

edit: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ram-memory-upgrade,2778-8.html

ChaoticEko

Neo Member
Grinchy said:
Cool, thanks a lot for that. That's exactly what I needed; a real user's honest impression of the case. I kept watching videos for it and I'd see a bunch of positive things being said, and I wanted to be sure I wasn't going to have problems exactly like you mentioned. I will take a serious look at the case you suggested.

:lol
Wow, what a piece of shit. Ok, I'm pretty glad I didn't jump on a deal.

No Problem. Here's some pics of my Raven RV02 with parts in it, if you want some perspective.

The Blue Raven

EDIT: You'll have to login to facebook to view it, this albums set to public, so you should be able to see it.

TheExodu5

Banned
barnone said:
I might use this 570 DC II unit in the $1000 build. Any opinions on this one? It's big but I liked this techpowerup review.

I like it a lot. It's not going to compete, value wise, with the stock 6950, but if you want a fairly quiet NVidia card, then it's hard not to recommend it.

I just used it in a friend's build over the weekend.

n0n44m

TheExodu5 said:
I like it a lot. It's not going to compete, value wise, with the stock 6950, but if you want a fairly quiet NVidia card, then it's hard not to recommend it.

I just used it in a friend's build over the weekend.

hey

how did you find out your SATA2 ports had died? windows errors? data corruption? they just disappeared from explorer/bios?

I'm scared now :p

MSIMagus

Neo Member
scogoth said:
You will always get a better system in 6 months, even 6 months from now that will be true. Sandy bridge + current GPUs are going to eat any game right now and for the next couple years and waiting isn't going to change that.

Well I understand that in 6 months you will always get a better system. My question is how much better or what kind of savings will I get if I waited till Winter of this year or spring of next year to build? If we are talking about possibly saving $100 then yeah I will go ahead and build an Ivy bridge rig right now for around $1,000-$1,100. The savings is small enough to justify ordering it now and being able to play games my current PC cant run(including a few I have bought but it chugged out on). However if its going to save me $200+ to wait, well then it probably is smart of me to wait even if I really dont want to ;)

I am just trying to get a sense on just how much it would save. I thought it would be a lot(especially if I waited till next spring or so)but you guys are making it sound like it really would not be that much. Frankly too the reason I am relying on your opinions is because I am humble enough to admit I am ultra ignorant when it comes to PCs. Hell I will most likely not be building a PC but instead ordering one from someplace like ecollegepc.

We(my wife and I) tried to build one last year and it ended up a disaster that didnt work. We took it in to have it looked at and they said we put it together properly but the mother board and possibly something else was fried. We wore one of those protective anti static clips and put it together on a wood table on a linoleum floor so I doubt we fried a part by touching it, and frankly the experts we took it to said it was most likely DoA parts. Either way the hours and hours worth of frustration putting the damn thing together and trying to figure out what we did wrong soured my wife on the experience and she insists that we just buy a PC vs going through that pain in the rear again as well as since it comes with a 3 year warranty usually. Honestly while I am tempted to try again to save the cash...I am not sure I want to argue with her that much heh.

Tom Penny

Is there any real world performance difference in DDR3 and DDR2 ram. I have a bunch of DDR2 ram and I don't know if it's even worth buying new ram.

mkenyon

Banned
Tom Penny said:
Is there any real world performance difference in DDR3 and DDR2 ram. I have a bunch of DDR2 ram and I don't know if it's even worth buying new ram.
A little bit, yeah. It mostly comes down to what your mobo requires though. I cant think of many, if any mobos that will accept both.

ElyrionX

Do my temps and voltages look ok here (running a couple of browsers and iTunes in the background)?

2lnbpec.gif

I just built this PC today and I notice that I've been getting some flicker on my dual monitor setup across both monitors which I heard could be due to insufficient power supply. Specs are as follows:

Intel i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL9
MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Intel 320 Series 120GB
WD Blue 1TB 5400 RPM
Seasonic M12II 620W
Corsair 650D
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Any idea?

EDIT: No overclocking yet BTW.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for the assistance throughout my first PC build experience. I finally connected all the cables and booted it up, and everything went smooth as butter: All I had to do was insert the Windows 7 CD. Unfortunately I am still missing a monitor, but I plan to purchase the Dell IPS 23in display.

Lastly, I was wondering if there are any specific programs to "monitor" or check if my computer is running ok from time to time? I mean I am sure the computer is running fine, but I am just curious about its performance.

Once again, thanks PC GAF!

bill0527

Liquid_015 said:
Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for the assistance throughout my first PC build experience. I finally connected all the cables and booted it up, and everything went smooth as butter: All I had to do was insert the Windows 7 CD. Unfortunately I am still missing a monitor, but I plan to purchase the Dell IPS 23in display.

Lastly, I was wondering if there are any specific programs to "monitor" or check if my computer is running ok from time to time? I mean I am sure the computer is running fine, but I am just curious about its performance.

Once again, thanks PC GAF!

Check the very first post of this thread.

Scroll all the way down that first post until you see a heading that says 'Utilities'.

And there you go.

Smokey

I'm getting an itch...

Anybody here using a Asus p8pg7 pro with SLI Asus DCII 580s? I'm pretty sure it will fit, but looking through my case this 580 is huge (Triple slot). Just wanted to hear from any possible owner on here that has this particular card in SLI.

Does Piriform Speccy have just as good cpu and gpu monitering as cpu/gpu z? I rather just get the whole pc check instead of separate programs.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Syphon Filter said:
Does Piriform Speccy have just as good cpu and gpu monitering as cpu/gpu z? I rather just get the whole pc check instead of separate programs.
GPUz shows a lot more GPU details than Speccy but I think it does pretty well for just about everything else.

The Stealth Fox said:
How important is it to have USB 3.0 and SATA 6 gb/s?
USB 3.0 is usually for 2 or 4 ports. It's nice to have it as USB3 becomes more common, but it's not a big deal if you don't have it since only a handful of your ports are going to support it right now.

As for SATA, it doesn't really matter unless you have a newer SSD or are planning to get one. Mechanical HDDs come nowhere close to the SATA2 spec.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Stable after 6 hours of Prime95 blend @ 4.8ghz with vcore of 1.375. I'll try for 5ghz but even if it's stable I'll probably not leave it there, since I would have to at least have a vcore of 1.4+ I'm sure (unless I hit the lottery on cpus).

Temps riding out from 68-74. Stupid core #2 keeps jacking my max temps, averaging around 2 deg higher than the others. Love love LOVE the Noctua D14!

Smokey said:
I'm getting an itch...

Anybody here using a Asus p8pg7 pro with SLI Asus DCII 580s? I'm pretty sure it will fit, but looking through my case this 580 is huge (Triple slot). Just wanted to hear from any possible owner on here that has this particular card in SLI.

You need to swing some of dat money my way.

I just ordered my motherboard, now I just have to get the GPU and I can start building this thing. :(

Spookie

The Stealth Fox said:
How important is it to have USB 3.0 and SATA 6 gb/s?

Can't think of any piece of hardware, bar incredibly expensive external HDDs, which require USB 3.0. Though having just moved on to my first SSD, it's very much worth considering the 6gb/s SATA. The difference between using this and a mechanical is akin to going from a 56k modem to 50mb broadband.

In an unrelated note: I just installed my new rig in to the Fractal Design R3. My vanilla 360 is louder than my PC! :D

TheExodu5

Banned
n0n44m said:
hey

how did you find out your SATA2 ports had died? windows errors? data corruption? they just disappeared from explorer/bios?

I'm scared now :p

It happened over the course of a few hours. At first, I was having trouble launching some games through Steam. Then, Windows Media Player completely deadlocked while playing a media file. When I rebooted, I got a message saying that "SMART command has failed" on both of my HDDs. When I finally got back into Windows, I tried copying stuff off the drives, and it was going at about 10kb/s. Finally, the SATA 2 drives just disappeared. I then disconnected the drives, and replugged one of them onto the unused SATA 3 port, and it worked fine.

Now, my drives don't even show up on the SATA 2 ports anymore...they're completely dead.

The Stealth Fox said:
I've looked at the cases in the OP. What's the best case for under 50? I heard NZXT builds were shoddy. Is the CM 330 a good option?

I would highly suggest putting an extra $10 in and getting the HAF 912. It's pretty far ahead of the sub $50 cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom