• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill0527

RS4- said:
You can do better for less than 1300; especially if you're buying bundles or through sales.

I agree.

I will never buy a pre-built again.

Don't be scared of putting it all together yourself. Its as simple as building an 8-10 piece lego set.

Only thing that can go wrong is one of your components be DOA - and that can easily happen on a pre-built as well.

Too many resources and videos out there to help you put one together. And GAF will have your back if you get into trouble.

Izayoi

Banned
Cross-posting this from the Linux thread because this thread is way more active.

Alright Linux-GAF. I need something to hold me over while I RMA my SSD. Are all distros of Linux capable of running off of a USB stick or a DVD? I've got a 4GB USB stick on hand as well as a DVD burner. It needs to be able to run a media player that's capable of displaying 1080p video, which I imagine wouldn't be too drastic of a problem, but you never know, I guess. Other than that I'll be using Open Office, the Internet, and some type of IRC client. That's pretty much it. I really want to get into Linux a little more, but the fact that there are so many different distros and so many different recommendations flying around has always been kind of a turn off. I figure since my hand is pretty much being forced at this point that it's a good opportunity to get started.
I'm almost 100% positive that it's my SSD causing problems, so I'll be RMA'ing come Monday. If there's anyone with knowledge of Linux I would greatly appreciate the help.

nib95

Banned
After re-installing video drivers after a good Driver Sweeper clean, I now get far less stutters and pauses in Crysis 2. Only on the off occasion, so I can live with it. Dirt 3 no longer skips either, so I'm happy!

One thing I'm happy to admit this gen of PC games. Whilst imo the calibre of visuals isn't as spectacular or ground breaking as previous years/generations (BF3 I'm waiting for you), the visuals are still brilliant and above all, they're efficient. I have a GTX 570 SC and was tempted to upgrade to a GTX 580 for Witcher 2, Dirt 3 and Crysis 2, but honestly, this card is destroying these games, even at max everything (bar uber mode on Witcher 2, though Ultra everything still looks near enough as good for amazing performance).

Point is, you can max out pretty much everything at 1080p and still get super smooth gameplay on just £200-£300 graphics cards. That's a serious accomplishment, and it feels damn good being able to run these games so well. My experience of them is probably more positive than had I had ground breaking visuals but at severely performance damaging costs.

For the first time in a long time, I haven't even loaded up Fraps. When everything runs as silky smooth as it does, I really don't have to. Gone is the frame rate counter in me, I'm just enjoying the games.

nara

Banned
:) spent $1822 on this total

2epj915.jpg

25kr4ua.jpg

OCZ vertex 3 120gb not pictured (coming tuesday)

Corsair Obsidian Series 650D
Intel Core i5-2500K
Corsair H60
Samsung SH-222AB
Logitech K800
Asus VE278Q
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3
Logitech G700
Corsair AX850
Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB
Corsair Vengeance 2x2GB
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
MSI R6950 2GB
MSI R6950 2GB

TheExodu5

Banned
Nice build. Going to look pretty awesome with fully black components. Judging by the rest of your choices, I'm guessing the looks of the Gigabyte board was what attracted you to it. :)

Izayoi

Banned
Awesome build, azuki. Any particular reason you went with a Crossfire setup and not a single card solution?

Izayoi said:
Cross-posting this from the Linux thread because this thread is way more active.

I'm almost 100% positive that it's my SSD causing problems, so I'll be RMA'ing come Monday. If there's anyone with knowledge of Linux I would greatly appreciate the help.
Anyone?

nara

Banned
Thanks guys. :D

TheExodu5: yeah the ud4 inspired me to go for black style haha. I would've gotten the xfx 6950s but I hear they don't unlock so.. :/ a small price to pay.

Izayoi: I just pulled the trigger hehe. XD. Xfire setups give good performance boost so I went ahead. 205 each hard to beat.

azuki said:
Thanks guys. :D

TheExodu5: yeah the ud4 inspired me to go for black style haha. I would've gotten the xfx 6950s but I hear they don't unlock so.. :/ a small price to pay.

Izayoi: I just pulled the trigger hehe. XD. Xfire setups give good performance boost so I went ahead. 205 each hard to beat.
That keyboard you bought is amazing btw. It's my favorite keyboard i've ever had.

TheExodu5

Banned
Cat in the Hat said:
That keyboard you bought is amazing btw. It's my favorite keyboard i've ever had.

Same here. Didn't realize they gave it a name (K800)...used to just be called Logitech Illuminated Keyboard.

azuki said:
OCZ vertex 3 120gb not pictured (coming tuesday)
Sandforce_logo.jpg

Bluescreens Reported on Latest SandForce-based SSDs
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Print.aspx?NewsId=30461

OCZ, Kingston and Corsair have confirmed that some of their latest Solid-state Drives (SSD) based on the SandForce SF2000 series of controllers are potentially causing bluescreens in users' computers.

OCZ confirmed firmware issues that have been reported in the field that are potentially causing bluescreens on its SF2000 based drives. The company said that the issue affected "a very small percentage" of Vertex 3 and Agility 3 SSDs, and that less than 1% of all its customers were affected. Both these new series of SSDs are based on the SandForce SF-2281 processor.

The company claims that the issue is "a completely different issue than what some other drive manufacturers are experiencing, which may have similar symptoms but is caused by a hardware issue," since OCZ does not use a reference design for its SSDs, and designs and manufactures its products in-house.

Initially, OCZ had said that it would resolve the issue with a firmware update. Later, the company said that the issue was isolated to the Intel RST driver. The company advised users that have experienced the BSOD issue to switch to the Microsoft driver.

Corsair has also recalled some SSD models due to "stability" and performance" problems. The affected model is the recently release4d 120GB Force Series 3 SSD, which is based on the SandForce SF-2281 controller.

"Our review has identified that a significant percentage of these drive do not perform to specifications. The solution will require changes to both the SSD firmware and the hardware components of the SSD itself," Corsair said.

Kingston's SSDs are also reportedly causing bluescreens.

Adata's S511 and OWC (Mercury Extreme 6G S) SSDs are also based on the SF-2281 controller and are currently available at the market, without any problem reports.

Mushkin has recently announced its new "Chronos" series of solid state drive series based on the SandForce SF-2281 processor.

It seems that some of the SF-2281 SSDs that are based on reference designs will be recalled.

OCZ Confirms Vertex 3 and Agility 3 Firmware Issues
http://news.softpedia.com/news/OCZ-Confirms-Vertex-3-and-Agility-3-Firmware-Issues-205185.shtml

Corsair announces Force 3 SSD recall
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/06/09/corsair-announces-force-3-ssd-recall/1

Corsair Force Series 3 SSD Issue Resolution: Drive Return Procedure
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95825

Izayoi

Banned
Welp, now I know for sure where my problem is coming from. Count me in as one of those 1% of customers.

:|

How exactly do I go about switching to a Microsoft RST driver?

Izayoi

Banned
azuki said:
Gah :/ the price I pay for speed.
Well, apparently it can be fixed by using a different driver.

How exactly does one go about switching a SATA driver, anyway? I'm scared to uninstall the Intel one and suddenly have Windows refuse to boot on me.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've said it, and will keep saying it: only get the Vertex 3 if you're willing to put up with these possible issues for maximum performance. Otherwise, the Intel 320 is your drive of choice.

(I own a 240GB Vertex 3...no issues...yet)

Izayoi

Banned
TheExodu5 said:
I've said it, and will keep saying it: only get the Vertex 3 if you're willing to put up with these possible issues for maximum performance. Otherwise, the Intel 320 is your drive of choice.

Aye, this was a situation that I was willing to chance, so I can't be too upset about it, really.

Will just straight-up uninstalling the Intel driver default it to the Microsoft one?

Well, here goes I guess. Google is zero help so we'll see what happens...

Smokey

·feist· said:
Sandforce_logo.jpg

Bluescreens Reported on Latest SandForce-based SSDs
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Print.aspx?NewsId=30461

OCZ, Kingston and Corsair have confirmed that some of their latest Solid-state Drives (SSD) based on the SandForce SF2000 series of controllers are potentially causing bluescreens in users' computers.

OCZ confirmed firmware issues that have been reported in the field that are potentially causing bluescreens on its SF2000 based drives. The company said that the issue affected "a very small percentage" of Vertex 3 and Agility 3 SSDs, and that less than 1% of all its customers were affected. Both these new series of SSDs are based on the SandForce SF-2281 processor.

The company claims that the issue is "a completely different issue than what some other drive manufacturers are experiencing, which may have similar symptoms but is caused by a hardware issue," since OCZ does not use a reference design for its SSDs, and designs and manufactures its products in-house.

Initially, OCZ had said that it would resolve the issue with a firmware update. Later, the company said that the issue was isolated to the Intel RST driver. The company advised users that have experienced the BSOD issue to switch to the Microsoft driver.

Corsair has also recalled some SSD models due to "stability" and performance" problems. The affected model is the recently release4d 120GB Force Series 3 SSD, which is based on the SandForce SF-2281 controller.

"Our review has identified that a significant percentage of these drive do not perform to specifications. The solution will require changes to both the SSD firmware and the hardware components of the SSD itself," Corsair said.

Kingston's SSDs are also reportedly causing bluescreens.

Adata's S511 and OWC (Mercury Extreme 6G S) SSDs are also based on the SF-2281 controller and are currently available at the market, without any problem reports.

Mushkin has recently announced its new "Chronos" series of solid state drive series based on the SandForce SF-2281 processor.

It seems that some of the SF-2281 SSDs that are based on reference designs will be recalled.

OCZ Confirms Vertex 3 and Agility 3 Firmware Issues
http://news.softpedia.com/news/OCZ-Confirms-Vertex-3-and-Agility-3-Firmware-Issues-205185.shtml

Corsair announces Force 3 SSD recall
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2011/06/09/corsair-announces-force-3-ssd-recall/1

Corsair Force Series 3 SSD Issue Resolution: Drive Return Procedure
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=95825

Bleh. That sucks.

Make me feel better for going with the Intel 320 160GB SSD over a Vertex 3 even if it is "slower" for these very reasons (Intel more reliable).

Sorry for bringing this up again but nobody replied. Computer crashed when playing the witcher to blue screen saying error nv4_mini.sys or something. I reset the computer and there is artifacts on the windows loading screen. Did all the safe mode driver sweeper and reinstall drivers, SAME THING. scrolling through webpages and dragging folders around is choppy. my 8800GT still looks like its running fine as the fan moves normally. Does this mean it is defective now probably because of some video ram problem?

Izayoi

Banned
Smokey said:
Make me feel better for going with the Intel 320 160GB SSD over a Vertex 3 even if it is "slower" for these very reasons (Intel more reliable).
To be fair, it's not an OCZ problem specifically, it's a SandForce problem.

momolicious said:
Sorry for bringing this up again but nobody replied. Computer crashed when playing the witcher to blue screen saying error nv4_mini.sys or something. I reset the computer and there is artifacts on the windows loading screen. Did all the safe mode driver sweeper and reinstall drivers, SAME THING. scrolling through webpages and dragging folders around is choppy. my 8800GT still looks like its running fine as the fan moves normally. Does this mean it is defective now probably because of some video ram problem?
Sounds like your GPU is dying.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
So I was thinking about calibrating my Dell 2408wfp, but I have no idea where to start.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Diseased Yak said:
It's too funny seeing things like 300+ fps in Dead Space 2 fully maxed.

Final overclock report: 4.8ghz with vcore of 1.385. Never gets above low 70's in Prime95, which is good enough for me.
That voltage seems a tad high. I mean I ran my 45nm chip at 1.31V and now this 32nm at 1.3V
1.38 seems absurdly high regardless of how many others are running near that. I'd suggest you tone it down to 1.35V max. Just my opinion.
mcrae said:
so you can buy a 6950 and unlock it so it performs nearly as well as a 6970 right?

except some versions of the 6950 you cant
A lot of the normal reference cards (Look for the AMD logo on the PCI-E) have sold out I think. I can't tell you.
Bamelin said:
Is this good for a prebuilt Dell?

XPS 8300
TOTAL: * $1,108.99

Is this a good price for a prebuilt Dell? Prices are canadian. I want to get back into pc gaming ... Currently I don't have a pc aside from my net book and iPad.
Well you can get an i5 2400 + monitor from Dell for like $700 something. I'd go that route, add in a $50 PSU and GPU. Everything besides the CPU in a DELL is fluff or warranty for gaming.

Or go to NCIX and buy a build similar to the on in the OP and pay them $45 to build and install it for you.
momolicious said:
I'd try new drivers after a sweep. It could be a dying GPU.
Trojita said:
So I was thinking about calibrating my Dell 2408wfp, but I have no idea where to start.
I just use the nVidia thing. If you listen to AVS you should buy a $200 spider or something. Do calibration DVD's work for PC IPS panels?

Izayoi

Banned
Well, updated my drivers.

We'll see if my blue screens go away and I can finally start overclocking again.

Fingers crossed.

Rezbit

Hey PC-GAF! Thanks for helping me last time build my bros PC...soon it is my turn.

Building from scratch, current specs are one shitty netbook lol. Planning on playing everything that is currently out and coming out this/next year: Witcher 2, BF3, Crysis 2, Skyrim in 1080p glory. Will maybe be slightly overclocking the CPU, but not really that keen to buy extras in terms of cooling etc., so not sure how much I will be able to do it. This is what I have in mind so far - things I am unsure about are PSU and motherboard, so any feedback would be great. Okay here goes:

Antec Nine Hundred Case
Intel Core i5 2500k
MSI Geforce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II 1GB
8GB Ripjaws ram - is this too much? Will 4GB do?
Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 Motherboard - not sure about this, couldn't find much in the way of reviews online. Anything in a similar price range that's better? Around $180-200AU.
Corsair TX-650 V2 Power Supply - this is the other part I'm worried about, is this good enough? Probably won't be using SLi, at least not at the moment, is this all good. I guess future proofing though...would this be enough for two GTX 560s? Does SLi even work like that?

Also, there's not a whole lot of difference between HDD brands is there? Am I right in thinking it's okay to go with Seagate/WD/Samsung? Just grabbing a 1TB HDD for now. Each brand about the same price.

Love your work guys, cheers.

Liberty4all

Banned
So I went to the Canadian sites listed in the OP. Also read the OP trying to understand what it is I need to buy in a pre built PC in terms of internal parts.

I failed miserably.

Honestly guys I just want to buy something that "works well" and is somewhat future proof for the next couple of years.

Can any of you recommend a pre built PC from the Canadian sites listed in the OP? My budget is 700 - 1000 Canadian. I need a monitor as well included in that price. I looked at a few of the sites and they have prebuilt rigs all over the scale ... but I'm so removed from the PC scene nowadays I have no idea what's "good" and what's missing crucial parts or has substandard parts that will bring down the rigs performance.

The type of gaming I want to do includes Eve, maybe WoW, RTS's such as Starcraft and possibly the occasional FPS (although I'll likely stick to my consoles for that).

If anyone can point out to me some examples of "good" pre built rigs on the Canadian sites that fits my budget I'd be eternally grateful.

Izayoi

Banned
Bluescreened immediately after I posted that. Brilliant. :|

Now I'm bluescreening seconds after I boot up. Help. :(

Deadly Joker said:
How is this bundle from Newegg.com for a 1st time PC rig?

Link

I'm wanting to run Battlefield 3 and Witcher 2 on High. Will this be enough?

It doesn't have a dedicated GPU so nope.

You can add a GTX 460 which should be able to run BF3 on above medium. On max settings @ 1080p (assuming without ubersampling) it runs Witcher 2 at 25FPS.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130570

Then again you can add a few bucks to get a GTX 560.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130660

For comparison's sake, the Faultline trailer for BF3 ran on a single GTX 580.

Wolf Akela said:
It doesn't have a dedicated GPU so nope.

You can add a GTX 460 which should be able to run BF3 on above medium. On max settings @ 1080p (assuming without ubersampling) it runs Witcher 2 at 25FPS.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130570

Then again you can add a few bucks to get a GTX 560.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130660

For comparison's sake, the Faultline trailer for BF3 ran on a single GTX 580.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I will also get a GTX 560 Ti.

Would that work?

Cday

Banned
Deadly Joker said:
Is the GTX 560 Ti worth $80 more than the GTX 460?

If not then I'll just go with the 460.

Depends on what resolution your monitor is and what games you want to play.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Quick question:

To those who own a Dell IPS display, how is the monitor for a desktop? I have heard great things about it and I plan on purchasing it tonight sometime.

Thanks!

Wallach said:
In your case I'd probably go for the 560 Ti then.

Ok 560 Ti it is.

Also another question, what is considered the best 20" - 22" monitor around?

Looking for something $150 or below.

Thinking about this one

What do you think?

Supposed Ivy Bridge engineering samples.

"Ivy bridge QAX5 frequency 1.8G 2 maximum multiplier core TDP 95W L3 4M 13 18 minimum multiplier does not support maximum 1600 TB does not support Graphics memory to support the core voltage 0.8~1.25

Ivy bridge QAX2 core TDP 95W L3 8M GHz 1.8G 4 13 18 minimum maximum multiplier multiplier does not support maximum 1600 TB does not support Graphics memory to support the core voltage 0.8~1.25"

FFVi4.jpg

Not so far fetched when you consider how early we saw Sandy Bridge, the fact that by the time of its retail release, Sandy Bridge-E samples will have been out about a year, and that Intel has already shown limited demos of IB.

First Demonstrations of Intel's 22nm 3-D Tri-Gate Transistors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB706hhCDZc

Izayoi said:
Bluescreened immediately after I posted that. Brilliant. :|

Now I'm bluescreening seconds after I boot up. Help. :(
Have you tried calling OCZ's customer service?

You can also check their forums for help.

logo.png

Discussion on BSOD/instalbility issues with FW2.06 on Vtx3 Agy and solid3 drives
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...es-with-FW2.06-on-Vtx3-Agy-and-solid3-drives&

Forum: OCZ Flash Support And Discussion Forum
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?233-OCZ-Flash-Support-And-Discussion-Forum&

Wallach

Deadly Joker said:
Ok 560 Ti it is.

Also another question, what is considered the best 20" - 22" monitor around?

Looking for something $150 or below.

Thinking about this one

What do you think?

I'm not really a monitor connoisseur. I use an ASUS VH222H and I have no real complaints with it beyond typical TN panel issues.

Tenck

Threads like this get me all riled up. These threads always make me want to just go crazy, and build a nice PC for myself (going crazy as in just build one and learn on my own), and then I fear that I might fuck it up somehow. My friends keep telling me it's pretty easy, but I just can't put much faith on my PC building skills =/

mr stroke

TheExodu5 said:

Not impressed by my Intel 320 at all. Boot times aren't much faster(maybe 15-20 sec?) games load tad faster and I am the first one in multi games, but I really thought it would be insane fast and its not. Its faster than my normal HDD but not enough to warrant the extra $230 I spent on it. I would advise anyone to wait until Intel's next round of SSD's if their thinking about jumping. Not worth the extra money I spent so far.

Rezbit

Tenck said:
Threads like this get me all riled up. These threads always make me want to just go crazy, and build a nice PC for myself (going crazy as in just build one and learn on my own), and then I fear that I might fuck it up somehow. My friends keep telling me it's pretty easy, but I just can't put much faith on my PC building skills =/

I built my first one last year, and it was super easy. I had no knowledge or skills at all. All I did was watch some videos, read the instructions, take my time, and quadruple check everything was locked into place/plugged in properly.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Rezbit said:
I built my first one last year, and it was super easy. I had no knowledge or skills at all. All I did was watch some videos, read the instructions, take my time, and quadruple check everything was locked into place/plugged in properly.

Yep, take your time and do not rush. Patience is virtue. I literally just built my first PC a few days ago, and I managed to finish yesterday night.

On another note, just bought a Dell IPS 23in display for 207USD. What a steal.

Sethos

Banned
So I was reading around and stumbled over a discussion regarding the i7 940 versus the i5 2500k and was surprised to see that 2500k was considered the better CPU for gaming. So that got me thinking, is it time to do some light upgrading on my somewhat ageing PC?

Currently it looks like this;

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X58 ( Replaced recently, other board died )
CPU: One of the earliest i7 940s at 3.8GHz with a Noctua cooler.
GPU: 5970 with an AC accelero xtreme 5970
RAM: Corsair 6GB DDR3 TripChan 1333 ( Bought another 6 but they were faulty )
PSU: 750w Corsair

Some people would call that a decent rig, despite its age but I was thinking, is there some newer iterations of CPUs for the 1366 socket that would actually be an upgrade over the 940. Obviously not talking those crazy expensive Intel EXTREME processors but just newer processors with improved internals on a smaller die that would actually outperform the 940 at this point, perhaps Hexacore?

Also considering going single-card GPU very soon because my last 3 cards have been SLI / CF single-card solutions and I never learn my lessons. Starting to get sick of waiting for profiles, waiting for CF support and dealing with graphical anomalies. Though I am waiting for the next generation of cards.

So any CPU suggestions, perhaps some other parts to look into for a more-sense-than-money upgrade? Oh and this is purely from a gaming perspective! I don't care about work uses, WinRAR and video rendering, that's second place.

I'd just wait for Ivy Bridge if I were you. You recently just spent money to replace your board. It'd be a waste to buy another board + new processor specially when the performance increase won't even be that significant.

Sethos

Banned
Wolf Akela said:
I'd just wait for Ivy Bridge if I were you. You recently just spent money to replace your board. It'd be a waste to buy another board + new processor specially when the performance increase won't even be that significant.

Wasn't planning on another board, just something within the 1366 family, not sure what has released in that series since the 940, so could be a 2500k equivalent was released with that socket :)

But obviously, if there's something worthwhile just around the corner that would mean a bigger upgrade, I'd obviously wait for that. I honestly haven't followed the hardware scene in quite a while.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
It would be nothing more than a sidegrade mate, spending/wasting money for very little gaming gain

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sethos said:
Ah okay, guess I'll save my money for now then, thanks.

So what is the next big thing, Ivy Bridge?

Pretty much, but even then I have a hard time seeing you NOT max games like bf3 60fps @1080p with your current rig so unless you play abover 1080p or that somehow the pc-scene starts getting many demanding game ( slim to none chance imo ) you won't even be needing to upgrade by then :)

Sethos

Banned
Corky said:
Pretty much, but even then I have a hard time seeing you NOT max games like bf3 60fps @1080p with your current rig so unless you play abover 1080p or that somehow the pc-scene starts getting many demanding game ( slim to none chance imo ) you won't even be needing to upgrade by then :)

Haha, it's actually not those kind of games I'm worried about. I am one of those simulator / milsim players and those kind of games are usually a big, fat hammer to the face when it comes to performance, so you usually need to throw everything at these games to have them run somewhat respectably.

ArmA 2 I've got running somewhat good at this point and with ArmA 3 around the corner with DX11, I know it'll kick my rig's ass. Flight simulators also seem to eat high-end PCs alive.

So that's my goal basically but with ArmA 3 not out till 2012, I'll hold onto my money and wait for the Ivy Bridge. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom