• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS4-

Grabbing my z68 board today, now I'm missing the 2500k. Haven't heard back from thermalright in re: to my Ultima 90 fitting the 1155 boards, so I'm just going to grab the DH14 with the money I'm saving from the discounted z68.

Smokey

black_vegeta said:
You need to swing some of dat money my way.

I just ordered my motherboard, now I just have to get the GPU and I can start building this thing. :(

Heh if I had the money now I would've already gotten another, alas it's just an "itch" at the moment!

You're almost there man. It will feel incredibly rewarding once you finally put it together.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
I built my current set up as a study lab and passed the test, so I'd like to convert it now to a gaming rig.

Specs:
i7 860
8 Gigs of ram

I need help with a mid-range video card, but I am very conscious about the noise during non-gaming hours.

Also, would upgrading to a "CM Hyper 212" make a difference from the stock cooler I'm running now? Again, noise is a major consideration, but only during low-loads.

PC-GAF,
I'm really wanting to get into PC gaming, but I love my consoles. So Unfortunately I have been looking at cheap alternatives. A buddy of mine has told me he could get a new "business" class quad core PC for just over $100. Yes, "wtf?" was what I thought. I asked for more details and this is what he sent

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8300
4GB DDR2 RAM
500GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
SuperMulti 8x Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
8-in-1 Media Card Reader
Integrated Graphics

Is it worth purchasing and attempting to upgrade the GPU, PSU, and whatever else that is necessary?

Kyaw

suffah said:
I built my current set up as a study lab and passed the test, so I'd like to convert it now to a gaming rig.

Specs:
i7 860
8 Gigs of ram

I need help with a mid-range video card, but I am very conscious about the noise during non-gaming hours.

Also, would upgrading to a "CM Hyper 212" make a difference from the stock cooler I'm running now? Again, noise is a major consideration, but only during low-loads.

Nvidia 560Ti with aftermarket cooler definitely. CM Hyper 212 is definitely better than the stock cooler but get a Noctua if you are concerned about noise.
If you are very concerned about noise, get watercooling. :p

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Kyaw said:
Nvidia 560Ti with aftermarket cooler definitely. CM Hyper 212 is definitely better than the stock cooler but get a Noctua if you are concerned about noise.
If you are very concerned about noise, get watercooling. :p

Thanks, will do some research on Noctua's! Watercooling seems a bit extreme though.

Will also look at the 560TI!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OdysseusVA said:
PC-GAF,
I'm really wanting to get into PC gaming, but I love my consoles. So Unfortunately I have been looking at cheap alternatives. A buddy of mine has told me he could get a new "business" class quad core PC for just over $100. Yes, "wtf?" was what I thought. I asked for more details and this is what he sent

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (64-bit)
Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8300
4GB DDR2 RAM
500GB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
SuperMulti 8x Double Layer DVD±RW Drive
8-in-1 Media Card Reader
Integrated Graphics

Is it worth purchasing and attempting to upgrade the GPU, PSU, and whatever else that is necessary?
Interesting deal. It's not bad by any means, but feels a tad limited because it's on the old 775 socket and you'll be stuck at stock clocks on your CPU.

Fill out the list in the OP about what you want and how much you will spend.
suffah said:

Specs:
i7 860
8 Gigs of ram

What price do you consider mid-range? $150 for a 460 or $220 AR for a 6950/560Ti?

Mobo's should trottle CPU fan speed on idle so noise should be a problem. You can also get a CM 212+ and put on a Scythe Kama 900/1200/1500rpm as a fan. Don't need to drop $70 on a Noctua.

I suggest you browse http://www.silentpcreview.com/

RS4- said:
Grabbing my z68 board today, now I'm missing the 2500k. Haven't heard back from thermalright in re: to my Ultima 90 fitting the 1155 boards, so I'm just going to grab the DH14 with the money I'm saving from the discounted z68.

What kind of board did you get, out of curiosity?

One question I hope I haven't already asked: does multithreading speed up sound recording apps like Audacity or Adobe Audition?

suffah

Does maths and stuff
Hazaro said:
What price do you consider mid-range? $150 for a 460 or $220 AR for a 6950/560Ti?

Mobo's should trottle CPU fan speed on idle so noise should be a problem. You can also get a CM 212+ and put on a Scythe Kama 900/1200/1500rpm as a fan. Don't need to drop $70 on a Noctua.

I suggest you browse http://www.silentpcreview.com/

$220 is definitely in my budget.

Damn, I just realized I have an abnormal case (2U rack server) so it looks like 125mm heatsinks/fans won't fit. The CM212+ seems to be just a tad too big for it.

Hazaro said:
Interesting deal. It's not bad by any means, but feels a tad limited because it's on the old 775 socket and you'll be stuck at stock clocks on your CPU.

Fill out the list in the OP about what you want and how much you will spend.

Thanks for the reply.

Your Current Specs: Q8300/4GB DDR2/Integrated Graphics
Budget: $100-200 For GPU and PSU (Currently 300W)
Main Use: Gaming and some video editing
Monitor Resolution: 1280x720 and will eventually upgrade to 1920x1080
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The Witcher 2, BC2, Dirt 3, Portal 2
Are reusing any parts?: no
When will you build?: Within 2 weeks

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
suffah said:
$220 is definitely in my budget.

Damn, I just realized I have an abnormal case (2U rack server) so it looks like 125mm heatsinks/fans won't fit. The CM212+ seems to be just a tad too big for it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233001
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103057

I'd go for the Xigamatek and put a fluid bearing 92mm on it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186034
or a Scythe Kama.

Gvaz

Banned
OdysseusVA said:
Thanks for the reply.

List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: The Witcher 2, BC2, Dirt 3, Portal 2

You can get a gpu and psu for about $200 to play those games at 720p, though not much more than medium at that resolution. Maybe BC2 and Portal 2 could go higher, but I doubt max.

If your budget increased to $300 then it would open up a lot more options and you'd have a better chance of playing those games at a higher resolution and better settings.

RS4-

cartman414 said:
What kind of board did you get, out of curiosity?

One question I hope I haven't already asked: does multithreading speed up sound recording apps like Audacity or Adobe Audition?
Asus p8z68-v Pro. Someone was selling it for $150, other option was the p8p67 deluxe for 200. Figured the z68 was the better deal. I think I'm just missing out on dual LAN and the front USB 3.0 plate.

I don't know if an $80 difference between a 2500k and 2600k is still worth it. Now if it was only $40-50, then I'd do it.

As for cooler, I think I'll have to find comparisons between the Noctua DH14 and the Thermalright (?) Archon.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
OdysseusVA said:
Thanks for the reply.

CX 430w + GTX 460

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121390
Gvaz said:
You can get a gpu and psu for about $200 to play those games at 720p, though not much more than medium at that resolution. Maybe BC2 and Portal 2 could go higher, but I doubt max.

If your budget increased to $300 then it would open up a lot more options and you'd have a better chance of playing those games at a higher resolution and better settings.
Well it all comes down to if that 2.5Ghz quad is sufficient. For a good amount of games it should do well with a 460. A 460 is not slow by any imagination when you look at it compared to a GTX 260 / 4870 of last generation.

For $100/$150 starting with a base computer it is really hard to beat.
If he can throw more money at it I'd definitely go with the OP build as it offers an upgrade path and stronger CPU performance.
suffah said:
Thanks again, probably gonna grab a Scythe Kama + the Xiggy.
Also for $220 quiet you want an MSI Twin Frozr 560 Ti or 6950. MSI makes coolers for both models.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127594
6950 is $40 more though.

If you'd like a better warranty the eVGA card is at the same price with a similar cooler and 10yr warranty.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130651

Gvaz said:

Which cards would you suggest for my budget? How much is the CPU limiting my choices?

Hazaro said:

Thanks!

nib95

Banned
Guys, any recommendations on a new sound card? I'm currently using an X-Fi ExtremeMusic (had it for several years now) and I've just had enough. Don't know if it's Crysis 2 or the sound card, but I get stuttering every 10 seconds or so (randomly) in the audio and it's driving me mad. It's been patched up and everything, and I've tinkered with so many things and nada. I'm at a loss. So I've decided to just kick this shitty sound card to the curb and buy something else.

I'm using Aego M 2.1 speakers. Also have Shure SE530's and Sennheiser HD555's but do 99% of my gaming through speakers.

What would you recommend? If the high end stuff isn't going to make much of a difference I'll just stick with budget, but I'm honestly not too sure.

Thanks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
nib95 said:
Guys, any recommendations on a new sound card? I'm currently using an X-Fi ExtremeMusic (had it for several years now) and I've just had enough. Don't know if it's Crysis 2 or the sound card, but I get stuttering every 10 seconds or so (randomly) in the audio and it's driving me mad. It's been patched up and everything, and I've tinkered with so many things and nada. I'm at a loss. So I've decided to just kick this shitty sound card to the curb and buy something else.

I'm using Aego M 2.1 speakers. Also have Shure SE530's and Sennheiser HD555's but do 99% of my gaming through speakers.

What would you recommend? If the high end stuff isn't going to make much of a difference I'll just stick with budget, but I'm honestly not too sure.

Thanks.
Budget: Asus Xonar DG
Other: Go ask head-fi.org and state exactly how much you will pay, what it is for, what you are coming from, and your audio hardware

RS4- said:
Asus p8z68-v Pro. Someone was selling it for $150, other option was the p8p67 deluxe for 200. Figured the z68 was the better deal. I think I'm just missing out on dual LAN and the front USB 3.0 plate.

Good call. Supposed to be excellent for overclocking.

I don't know if an $80 difference between a 2500k and 2600k is still worth it. Now if it was only $40-50, then I'd do it.

Agreed. Perhaps when they come out with more variants (they just came out with the i5-2310, a slightly upticked i5-2300), prices will come down a little on the slower ones, knock on wood. A $50 differential between the i5-2500/K and i7-2600/K would be much more ideal.

Gvaz

Banned
Hazaro said:
Well it all comes down to if that 2.5Ghz quad is sufficient. For a good amount of games it should do well with a 460. A 460 is not slow by any imagination when you look at it compared to a GTX 260 / 4870 of last generation.
Yeah, though honestly I'd suggest a 500w psu instead simply out of the fact of having enough power. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Gvaz said:
Yeah, though honestly I'd suggest a 500w psu instead simply out of the fact of having enough power. Better to be safe than sorry.
If you get a 500W at that price it will be worse and probably deliver only 20 more W on the 12V.
The 330W on the 12V is more than sufficient for that system.

I'm running an overclocked i5 2500K (4.5Ghz) plus a GTX 295 (Basically two GTX 270's) on my Corsair 520W.

Gvaz

Banned
Hazaro said:
If you get a 500W at that price it will be worse and probably deliver only 20 more W on the 12V.
The 330W on the 12V is more than sufficient for that system.

I'm running an overclocked i5 2500K (4.5Ghz) plus a GTX 295 (Basically two GTX 270's) on my Corsair 520W.
That's what I was saying by the $300 though. Increase the price to 60-80 for the psu (corsairs are nice), get a 150-200 gfx card or so in the general sense.

Probably a 6850 as well. Is it those or the 6950s you can upgrade to the xx70 ones?

For me, if I was to get a better cpu (phenom 2 x3 720 @ 3.2) and a better gfx card (4890) I'd have to upgrade my 500 because at max those two things alone pull 430w~

L00P

Eusis said:
Given the cost it'd be more practical just to get an LGA1155 motherboard and 4GB of DDR3 ram. Unless you have an LGA775 that used DDR3, then it's an even simpler call.
Yes, mine uses DDR3. But I don't want to throw away my motherboard yet. I mean, I just bought it a month ago! Actually, I bought a new desktop a month ago thinking that I could just upgrade it along the way, but it being a LGA775 was a huge mistake >___< Oh well

Quake1028

Does anyone else have trouble with GAF loading all images on a page? This is over Firefox and Chrome, so it's either GAF or something weird with my internet connection.

nib95

Banned
Ok, I think it's these latest Nvidia drivers that are messing things up for me as Dirt 3 is also stuttering. What would you guys say is the best way to uninstall drivers that that Driver Sweeper is discontinued?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Might just try re-install the driver first after a fresh clean before trying a different driver.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
nib95 said:
Ok, I think it's these latest Nvidia drivers that are messing things up for me as Dirt 3 is also stuttering. What would you guys say is the best way to uninstall drivers that that Driver Sweeper is discontinued?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Might just try re-install the driver first after a fresh clean before trying a different driver.
270.61 has been good for me.
I still use driver sweeper/cleaner even though you don't need to

nib95

Banned
Hazaro said:
270.61 has been good for me.
I still use driver sweeper/cleaner even though you don't need to

This is the first time I haven't used Driver Sweeper in years. I uninstalled the video driver, HD audio driver, 3D Vision driver and PhysX driver all via control panel. Should have just stuck with Driver Sweeper :(

f0rk

Bit the bullet on a £900 build today. Won't have it for 2 weeks, but will be the first time building a PC from scratch. Nervous and excited. Witcher 2 is currently the best game to show off a new system right?

Everdred

nib95 said:

See if the stuttering happens ever 2 minutes. I was having the same issue with Dirt 3 and found out that it was windows live ID sign in assistant reconnecting every 2 minutes, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, problem solved.

nib95

Banned
Everdred said:
See if the stuttering happens ever 2 minutes. I was having the same issue with Dirt 3 and found out that it was windows live ID sign in assistant reconnecting every 2 minutes, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, problem solved.

Uninstalled the whole game, or just Windows Live? And it does seem like it could be every 2 minutes.

Q8D3vil

what is the best ddr3 ?
two of my old corsair 1333mhz 3x2 ram stopped working and i need to buy new set of 3x2.
i have evga x58 and i7 920.
thanks

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
It's too funny seeing things like 300+ fps in Dead Space 2 fully maxed.

Final overclock report: 4.8ghz with vcore of 1.385. Never gets above low 70's in Prime95, which is good enough for me.

mcrae

so you can buy a 6950 and unlock it so it performs nearly as well as a 6970 right?

except some versions of the 6950 you cant?

can someone link me one on ncix.ca or newegg.ca or canadacomputers.ca that i can unlock? time for new graphics

OK PC-GAF, help me out. My graphics card is causing my computer to crash on a regular basis whenever I'm running games with 3D graphics. I know it's the graphics card because when I'm running PCSX2 the computer does not crash after locking up but comes back after a few seconds with the message "AMD display driver stopped responding and has recovered." I've made sure my display drivers are up to date and dusted out my computer. I have a Phenom II X4 2.80 GHz processor with a Radeon HD 5770 graphics card and am running Windows 7 64-bit. Any advice?

Liberty4all

Banned
Is this good for a prebuilt Dell?

XPS 8300
Date & Time: June 12,2011 8:16 PM CST

* *SYSTEM COMPONENTS
XPS 8300 Qty * 1
XPS8300, Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English Unit*Price $1,557.99
Instant savings with your purchase. Offer Expires 6/24 at 5 am EST.
Expires June 24, 2011 @ 5:00 am EST * * *
* * - $449.00

No Interest for 6 months with an electronics or accessories product (O.A.C.)
Expires June 30, 2011 * * *

Catalog Number: *70702 DXPS8300_F_4E
*Module *Description Show Details
XPS 8300 XPS8300
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
Processors Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
Keyboard Dell USB Entry Keyboard
Monitor ST2320L 23-inch Full HD Widescreen Monitor
Video Card ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5
Hard Drive 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Mouse Dell Laser Mouse
Network Card Add 2 USB 3.0 ports
Modem No Dial Up Modem Option
TBU Adobe® Acrobat® Reader
Optical Drive Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Sound THX® TruStudio PC™
Speakers Dell AX210 Stereo Speakers
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/
ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
Security Software McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
Hardware Support Services 1 Year Basic Service Plan
Misc 5 Please contact me with more details
TV Tuners & Remote Controls No TV Tuner Requested
TOTAL: * $1,108.99

Is this a good price for a prebuilt Dell? Prices are canadian. I want to get back into pc gaming ... Currently I don't have a pc aside from my net book and iPad.

hosannainexcelsis said:
OK PC-GAF, help me out. My graphics card is causing my computer to crash on a regular basis whenever I'm running games with 3D graphics. I know it's the graphics card because when I'm running PCSX2 the computer does not crash after locking up but comes back after a few seconds with the message "AMD display driver stopped responding and has recovered." I've made sure my display drivers are up to date and dusted out my computer. I have a Phenom II X4 2.80 GHz processor with a Radeon HD 5770 graphics card and am running Windows 7 64-bit. Any advice?
Uninstall your graphics drivers. Go into Safe Mode and use Driver Sweeper. Boot back into Windows and then try the latest, or previous stable driver release.

Bamelin said:

XPS 8300
Date & Time: June 12,2011 8:16 PM CST

* *SYSTEM COMPONENTS
XPS 8300 Qty * 1
XPS8300, Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English Unit*Price $1,557.99
Instant savings with your purchase. Offer Expires 6/24 at 5 am EST.
Expires June 24, 2011 @ 5:00 am EST * * *
* * - $449.00

No Interest for 6 months with an electronics or accessories product (O.A.C.)
Expires June 30, 2011 * * *

Catalog Number: *70702 DXPS8300_F_4E
*Module *Description Show Details
XPS 8300 XPS8300
Operating System Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
Processors Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs
Keyboard Dell USB Entry Keyboard
Monitor ST2320L 23-inch Full HD Widescreen Monitor
Video Card ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB GDDR5
Hard Drive 1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Mouse Dell Laser Mouse
Network Card Add 2 USB 3.0 ports
Modem No Dial Up Modem Option
TBU Adobe® Acrobat® Reader
Optical Drive Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability
Sound THX® TruStudio PC™
Speakers Dell AX210 Stereo Speakers
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/
ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook
Security Software McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months
Hardware Support Services 1 Year Basic Service Plan
Misc 5 Please contact me with more details
TV Tuners & Remote Controls No TV Tuner Requested
TOTAL: * $1,108.99

Is this a good price for a prebuilt Dell? Prices are canadian. I want to get back into pc gaming ... Currently I don't have a pc aside from my net book and iPad.
No. Standard i7 2600, instead of a 2600K and a GPU that will hamper the CPU's performance in games. You can do better elsewhere, or, more likely, building yourself/having a friend or site build one for you.

ElyrionX

ElyrionX said:
Do my temps and voltages look ok here (running a couple of browsers and iTunes in the background)?

2lnbpec.gif

I just built this PC today and I notice that I've been getting some flicker on my dual monitor setup across both monitors which I heard could be due to insufficient power supply. Specs are as follows:

Intel i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL9
MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Intel 320 Series 120GB
WD Blue 1TB 5400 RPM
Seasonic M12II 620W
Corsair 650D
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Any idea?

EDIT: No overclocking yet BTW.

Got no response so I'm quoting again. Anyone help?

ElyrionX said:
Temps and volts look fine. You have at least one power save feature enabled, which also helps. HWMon sometimes has issues with certain components, or brands, which likely explains the wonky fan speed readings. You can try another app, like SpeedFan, if it potentially helps with getting more accurate readings.

Bamelin said:
Thanks feist. Video card was ok though?
The 5670 is a decent card as long as you don't overpay for one. At $1,100, CA or US, you can do far better, though. I believe both Canada Computers and NCIX CA will assemble, and test, a build for you. Just pick your own parts. You can take a look at the OP for some recommendations. Keep in mind, some of the apps you get with Dell and other brands ("free" McAffee), you can get with good freeware.

edit:

ElyrionX said:
ElyrionX said:
I've been getting some flicker on my dual monitor setup across both monitors which I heard could be due to insufficient power supply.
Didn't notice that. Hard to say for sure, as it could be driver, GPU, or setup related. You have more than enough power, so unless the PSU or another component is faulty, it shouldn't be an issue. Try driving each monitor individually with each display output to see how that works.

zoku88

Bamelin said:
Is it possible to get a prebuilt system with a K processor in it?

And what are you using this system for? It doesn't look like its for gaming?

RS4-

Bamelin said:

You can do better for less than 1300; especially if you're buying bundles or through sales.

Newegg.ca for example has a 2500k + Asus p8p67 pro for only $384 + tax. You can PM that at NCIX (or MemoryExpress) to get the same or better. Then follow the build found on the first page.

Or browse their other bundles that are packaged with the 2500k, you might find one that includes a high end GPU, then buy a different p8p67 bundle that includes ram or something. I don't think Newegg stops you from buying multiple bundles.

First bundle that shows up on Newegg for the 2500k:
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
ASUS ENGTX560 TI DCII/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...
CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M2A1600C8
COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
= $912

So all you're missing is a monitor, OS, KB+M if you got the above

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom