• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarosh

·feist· said:
The ability to overclock, while still having access to the iGP is one of the Z68's biggest selling points.
i had not read up on the z68 mobos since they're so new and i only knew about the p67 supporting unlocked i5s and i7s. i got the info from the shop i linked to. guess they have their info wrong. they usually really have their shit together but for all the z68 mobos the feature list specifically includes: "unlocked functionality for core i5/i7 2x00K cpus not supported". on the p67 mobos it doesn't say that. so i figured that was true...

·feist· said:
Thought you where going with an Asus P67 M Pro? If you don't get a P67/Z68 mATX, then you may as well change the CPU to a non-K model and save some money. The additional outlay for a P67/Z68 will pay dividends when, down the line, you'd only need to overclock to extend the life of your system, instead of needing a new CPU/motherboard upgrade for performance.
oh feist, why do you always have to remember everything? ;)

i initially reasoned like this:
- i'm probably not gonna overclock the cpu
- the asus p67 m pro is not in stock at digitec.ch and probably won't be for another few weeks
- the h67 is $40 less
- i'm saving money that i can invest in an ssd

the reason why i was gonna get the K model i5 either way is because the price difference to the vanilla one is literally 5 bucks.

but, you know, i think you're right about it paying off down the line if i get a mobo that will let me overclock the cpu eventually. i might want to at some point. right now, only the most expensive one, the MX one, is in stock at digitec.ch but i'll drop by tomorrow and ask them when they're expecting another shipment of the other two. so of these three which one do you think i should get then:

Asus P8P67-M PRO (CHF 146.-)
Gigabyte GA-Z68MA (CHF 143.-)
Gigabyte GA-Z68MX (CHF 164.-)

what do you think about my plan of getting the intel 320 40 gb? and do you think i'm getting enough juice with the Seasonic X-560?

No on the GA-Z68MA. I'd be deciding between the other two. Both seem to have a nice feature set and good overclock potential. The GA-Z68MX has front panel USB 3.0 support, though the GD05 doesn't (could always swap the front PCB for USB 3.0 at some point -- if you need to). A cursory glance would make me think the Gigabyte may have a bit of an edge on OC, but I'd recommend looking at reviews, and forum posts (search mobo + CPU model) to get a feel for results.

The SeaSonic X-560 will power an OC 2500K and any single chip GPU you throw at it. Intel still has the best SSD reliability, if not outright performance. A 40GB is a nice starting point to run your OS and the most essential apps from. Link everything else, and keep your data, non-essential apps (assuming they won't fit on the SSD), and page file on the HDD.

Ezahn said:
@ .feist. tnx again! I never thought of trying to SLI two 580s with 750w tough, it was only for leaving some space for oc'ing the cpu and the single 580 itself (or to be ready for an eventual new high end gpu / two medium end SLI in the future). Is it not worth it? You'd go for 650w still?

...oh, and I could grab a Crucial M4 128gb SSD for 179€... VERY TEMPTING! (M4 + Samsung F4 2tb...)
I'd be looking at a minimum 650W Bronze, though Gold would be preferable. If you think you may possibly be changing the 580 to two 6870/6950-level cards, then a 750W would leave more breathing room.

A solid 650W will run a OC 580 and OC 2500K-level CPU. I would not use one for an OC 980X/990X, or even a SB-E 6-core. The next round of NV and AMD GPUs will use less power, so I'd fully expect two GTX 660s/760s to be doable, unless Kepler is highly inefficient (doubtful).

ithorien said:
Np. Honestly the more I think about it, floor plans are not that much more complicated than just doing a larger/more complex vector in Illustrator, something you don't need a Quadro for. Now I just need to figure out if I want to build her something solid solid, or just to hold her over.
System memory is more important here than having "just enough" VRAM, correct? Otherwise, you have a few 2GB 560 Tis, and at least two 2.5GB 570s from EVGA and Yeston.

Mully

So I've been tinkering around with my build again, this time with the RAM. Right now I have the GSkill Ripjaws 2/4GB DDR3 and I'm wondering if I should just double the GSkill RAM up and buy two of the Ripjaws.

Would that be a good idea?

Interfectum

I'm looking to upgrade some parts in my PC and I need a little help. I'm trying to get my PC ready for Diablo 3 and Battlefield 3.

Here is what I currently have:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (stock fan)
Radeon HD 4890 1GB
4GB RAM (DDR2) [MB can't do DDR3]

I'd like to get an aftermarket heatsink for the cpu as the stock fan has gotten really loud over time. I'm looking at something like this (needs to be AM3, any suggestions would be nice):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103046

Also, I'm thinking about upgrading the video card but I'm not sure if its worth it. Would my processor be holding it back at this point? If it's worth it, which video cards should I be looking at? I'm guessing not the cream of the crop but something a little more current and DX11.

Ezahn

·feist· said:
I'd be looking at a minimum 650W Bronze, though Gold would be preferable. If you think you may possibly be changing the 580 to two 6870/6950-level cards, then a 750W would leave more breathing room.

And thanks again .feist., you've been a great help. I'll go for the TX750 and let one more option open for the future, having chosen a SLI-CF ready mobo.

As for the SSD... maybe later, even if I'm tempted. Would an Intel 320 120 be better than a Crucial M4 120? Same cost, more or less.

MisterNoisy

Interfectum said:
I'm looking to upgrade some parts in my PC and I need a little help.

Here is what I currently have:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz (stock fan)
Radeon HD 4890 1GB
4GB RAM (DDR2) [MB can't do DDR3]

I'd like to get an aftermarket heatsink for the cpu as the stock fan has gotten really loud over time. I'm looking at something like this (needs to be AM3, any suggestions would be nice):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103046

Also, I'm thinking about upgrading the video card but I'm not sure if its worth it. Would my processor be holding it back at this point? If it's worth it, which video cards should I be looking at? I'm guessing not the cream of the crop but something a little more current and DX11.

The Cooler Master Hyper 212 is probably the de facto recommendation, though I also like the Xigmatek Gaia SD1283. As for video cards, it's probably more dependent on what you want to spend than anything else, but the HD6850 or GTX460 would be pretty good choices for under $200.

Ezahn

Coldsnap said:
I have an R3 and i run my fans super slow like around 400 rpms and my temps in my case stay super cold.

@Coldsnap Tnx for the experience, man. Forgot to thank you before. ;-)

Ok, I'm looking at a video card for my new build and I can't decide between the GTX 570 or GTX 580. Is the 580 worth $100 than the 570? Or it is smart just to go with the 570 for the price? I'm wanting to max out Battlefield 3 and The Witcher 2. I'll have this card along with 8GB of ram and an i5 2500k.

mug

Deadly Joker said:
Ok, I'm looking at a video card for my new build and I can't decide between the GTX 570 or GTX 580. Is the 580 worth $100 than the 570? Or it is smart just to go with the 570 for the price? I'm wanting to max out Battlefield 3 and The Witcher 2. I'll have this card along with 8GB of ram and an i5 2500k.
Here's a comparison between the two at TomsHardware. I don't see too much of a difference but if you're wanting to max everything out...

Gvaz

Banned
If I was to upgrade my PC later to an i7-2600 instead of an i5-2500 with the intention that I'd be doing some minor video editing, and emulation via pcsx2 and dolphin, in addition to gaming would that be a good idea?

Or is there a better/cheaper alternative?

Smokey

Deadly Joker said:
Then I should go with the 580?

Honestly either will max pretty much anything you throw at it, and if you got a good 570 you could OC it to 580 levels. This is coming from a 580 owner. Unless you want to just have the best out (just because you can) then go for the 580.

Question: If you do go 580, what resolution are you planning to play at? Also if you don't care that much about extra cooling on a 580, look into the eVGA 3GB 580 cards. Twice as much RAM as a regular 580 for around the same price or a little more if I'm not mistaken.

Gvaz said:
If I was to upgrade my PC later to an i7-2600 instead of an i5-2500 with the intention that I'd be doing some minor video editing, and emulation via pcsx2 and dolphin, in addition to gaming would that be a good idea?

Or is there a better/cheaper alternative?

The 2600k adds Hyper Threading which would help you in your video editing. Of course it's fast as hell too and will not hold you back in gaming at all. Whether you think the HT feature is enough to warrant the difference in price is up to you.

MisterNoisy

Johnny2Bags said:
Newegg has the 460 1 GB version on sale for 99 dollars today if you've bought something from them before!

Are you referring to this EVGA GTX460SE? I'd pass on that unless money was super-tight, since the SE model is pretty heavily cut-down compared to the 'standard' GTX460 (288 cores vs 336 and 648MHz vs ~700).

MisterNoisy said:
Are you referring to this EVGA GTX460SE? I'd pass on that unless money was super-tight, since the SE model is pretty heavily cut-down compared to the 'standard' GTX460 (288 cores vs 336 and 648MHz vs ~700).

ahh! I missed that somehow! sorry, I was trying to help another poster, but ended up curious as to why it was that cheap... thanks!

anyone here ever done water cooling? specifically I'm looking to water my 580s (two) while I understand that 85-90 is normal to reach during long gameplay sessions, i don't see myself cranking the fan and the air conditioner to bring the temperatures down to a level i'm comfortable with. I currently house the cards inside an antec 1200(which I plan to migrate to a Lian-Li pc-p80)

1. so what parts would I need?
2. are there any videos/tutorials to teach how to do it?
3. how much will it cost?

n0n44m

evil solrac v3.0 said:
anyone here ever done water cooling? specifically I'm looking to water my 580s (two) while I understand that 85-90 is normal to reach during long gameplay sessions, i don't see myself cranking the fan and the air conditioner to bring the temperatures down to a level i'm comfortable with. I currently house the cards inside an antec 1200(which I plan to migrate to a Lian-Li pc-p80)

1. so what parts would I need?
2. are there any videos/tutorials to teach how to do it?
3. how much will it cost?

I posted mine a few pages back

1. Reservoir - Pump - 2 GPU Blocks - Radiator (2*120 at least, rather 3*120) - Tubing - Fittings

2. Not really ... reading on web forums for a looong loooooong time should do the trick ... ofcourse any dedicated forum should have a good beginners guide/introduction topic

3. Reservoir €50 , Pump €80 , 2 GPU Blocks €180 , Radiator €75 , Tubing €10, Fittings €40 ... dollar prices are usually the same I think

and that's a rather basic setup, there are lots of small extras that cost more

getting two Arctic Cooling Accelero Xtremes is easier and cheaper though ;)

n0n44m

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSq_xbxsm7Q&feature=related

a 10 sec youtube search guided me to this official CoolerMaster North America CM 212 Hyper Plus installation video/tutorial ? :p

for the paste I normally always just use the pea or line application from this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffK7L0Qj13Q&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_461720

however I believe somebody posted something about using 2 lines on the bottom for a 212? something akin to this post here ? better let some current 212 user comment on that :p

Smokey

Eric WK said:
Is there a go-to video guide on installing the Cooler Master 212 and applying the thermal paste?

There is a video for EVERYTHING on youtube.
Without youtube videos and this place I would've failed so hard putting my computer together.

fake edit: 14,000th post :0

Zimbardo

i've heard some people say that installation of the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is a bit of a nuisance.

is that true?

the Noctua D14 is super easy to install, so i'm just wondering for comparison sake.

n0n44m

Zimbardo said:
i've heard some people say that installation of the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is a bit of a nuisance.

is that true?

the Noctua D14 is super easy to install, so i'm just wondering for comparison sake.

it's getting recommended here for its price and ease of install compared to comparable coolers

although comparable = mainly the Mugen 2 rev B , which has about the same price and somewhat better performance (D14 like) but a terrible mounting procedure

I've had the Mugen 2 myself, and installing that thing without a partner/2nd pair of hand is a real pain in the ass :p

jarosh

·feist· said:
No on the GA-Z68MA. I'd be deciding between the other two. Both seem to have a nice feature set and good overclock potential. The GA-Z68MX has front panel USB 3.0 support, though the GD05 doesn't (could always swap the front PCB for USB 3.0 at some point -- if you need to). A cursory glance would make me think the Gigabyte may have a bit of an edge on OC, but I'd recommend looking at reviews, and forum posts (search mobo + CPU model) to get a feel for results.

The SeaSonic X-560 will power an OC 2500K and any single chip GPU you throw at it. Intel still has the best SSD reliability, if not outright performance. A 40GB is a nice starting point to run your OS and the most essential apps from. Link everything else, and keep your data, non-essential apps (assuming they won't fit on the SSD), and page file on the HDD.
yikes, i'm reading some not so great stuff about that gigabyte mobo... although there isn't much info out there period if you google for it in combination with my i5.

i'd go with the asus p67, but now i'm reading a lot of reports about it not recognizing ssds if they're first in the boot device order. supposedly you have to put the optical drive first, the ssd second or it won't work... which will increase the booting time considerably. so you're essentially losing one of the main advantages of having an ssd... :/

Ezahn

Ezahn said:
As for the SSD... maybe later, even if I'm tempted. Would an Intel 320 120 be better than a Crucial M4 120? Same cost, more or less.

What was I saying? Later? naaaa more like NOW.
The SSD fever is getting at me.
So, I think 120 Gb should be enough for starters.
I read about the huge Vertex3 problems... pity, seemed great.
Now that leaves me with Intel 320 or Crucial M4 (cheaper) or Intel 510.
What do you think? Which 120 model?

And if I go the SSD way would it be better to leave the F3 and mount up the OP's 2 TB F4?

Thank God there's GAF.

mike23

Newegg has some good deals on desktop memory right now. Picked up another 8GB of G.Skill Ripjaws for my desktop for $64 with the DM15JN11US coupon. Plus I got another usb flash drive that I've been needing.

Zimbardo said:

I had some trouble with it. The bracket that goes between the copper pipes and above the aluminum block and screws into the back plate doesn't stay in place well when you're trying to drop it in. I had to take it out and wipe it clean the first time, but I managed to get it in the second.

edit:

Smokey said:
fake edit: 14,000th post :0

post #555

scy

So, thinking of replacing my Logitech G5 (or, at least, get a mouse to supplement it) as it's starting to feel kind of sluggish and showing signs of age (6-ish years). So, looking at a few mice so far:

Mionix Naos 5000
Razer Deathadder
Logitech MX518

Not really keen on the MX518 since I don't really like the look of it but left it in just in case it's worth a second look. Extra buttons aren't a huge pressing "OMG NEED 9" concern but a few would be nice to have. Mostly curious on the first two as I don't really think either I can find locally to play with to see how I like the feel of personally.

Probably thinking of dropping in some kind of "real" mousepad as well as opposed to just ... using my desk. Don't know a damn thing on that, though, since I haven't used any kind of mousepad in something like 10 years.

Gvaz

Banned
scy said:

Get this one. Ignore the rest. Built like a rock, great dpi, light but able to take the abuse. Doesn't have too many buttons but you don't really need tons of buttons unless you're playin an mmo.

It's my favorite mouse.

Razer's build quality is just way too inconsistent (all the mice i've had from them felt like cheap shit and broke in 6 months and I wasn't even rough with it)

I've never heard of the other mouse before.

There's no real need for a mousepad if you have an optical mouse. Save your money.

Get the MX518, there is nothing but universal praise for it.

scy said:
So, thinking of replacing my Logitech G5 (or, at least, get a mouse to supplement it) as it's starting to feel kind of sluggish and showing signs of age (6-ish years). So, looking at a few mice so far:

Mionix Naos 5000
Razer Deathadder
Logitech MX518

Not really keen on the MX518 since I don't really like the look of it but left it in just in case it's worth a second look. Extra buttons aren't a huge pressing "OMG NEED 9" concern but a few would be nice to have. Mostly curious on the first two as I don't really think either I can find locally to play with to see how I like the feel of personally.

Probably thinking of dropping in some kind of "real" mousepad as well as opposed to just ... using my desk. Don't know a damn thing on that, though, since I haven't used any kind of mousepad in something like 10 years.
I personally roll with the mx518, its actually a great mouse, and its nice using the logitech software to setup a custom dpi range, currently using 500, 1000, and 1800 as my main three sensitivity levels, great for sniping in games :)

Edit: for a mousepad, I use just a simple steal series one, and it works great
Steelseries_NP+_Mousepad_Top_View.jpg

f0rk

scy said:

Mionix Naos 5000
Razer Deathadder
Logitech MX518

There are a lot of good mice, Deathadder or MX518 are both fine but I've never heard of Mionix so I'd avoid those. I use a IE3.0 which is a classic.
For mousepad I'd recommend Steelseries QCK. They get big though so make sure you don't buy one that's too big if you are limited for space.

I asked before, does the Coolermaster 212+ come with thermal paste? The official instillation video skips over it and others all use a 3rd party one.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Does anyone here mess around with creating a windows 7 unattended install disc with all the updates/sp1 installed?

It's been yeeaaars since i've messed around with doing such a thing so my mind is a little hazy. If anyone has any apps or links, that would be awesome :D

scy

The "issue" is I have a G5 as is and the MX518 is basically a small step up (actually, down for DPI, I believe, as the G5 does up to 2000). Really, the only perk I saw on it was that it's easily the cheapest of the three and it's a familiar ... well, everything.

Gvaz said:
Razer's build quality is just way too inconsistent (all the mice i've had from them felt like cheap shit and broke in 6 months and I wasn't even rough with it)

:/ Never owned a Razer mouse before but my BlackWidow (keyboard) I can probably deflect bullets with. Then again, that heft and build is basically a selling point of mechanical keyboards so I wager that's a terrible example of build quality.

There's no real need for a mousepad if you have an optical mouse. Save your money.

I only saw the Mionix earlier mentioned in this thread so I looked into it and added it to my "possibly?" list. It's buzzword laden and feature heavy so no real idea on the actual quality of it itself. It's mostly there out of style and curiosity.

As for mousepads, the only real argument I saw for them was in regards to ease of moving the mouse on the surface as opposed to tracking. Or something. I'm still skeptical on the whole damn thing, really, but curious if we had any diehard mousepad users.

f0rk said:
I asked before, does the Coolermaster 212+ come with thermal paste? The official instillation video skips over it and others all use a 3rd party one.

Mine came with some off-brand, if I recall. I'm at work so I can't check specifically what it was but it seemed to work fine.

sp3000

Gvaz said:
Get this one. Ignore the rest. Built like a rock, great dpi, light but able to take the abuse. Doesn't have too many buttons but you don't really need tons of buttons unless you're playin an mmo.

It's my favorite mouse.

Get the MX518, there is nothing but universal praise for it.

This is the best mouse ever made. I got mine in 2004 and it still works perfectly.

MisterNoisy

scy said:

Mionix Naos 5000
Razer Deathadder
Logitech MX518

I really like both the G500 and the G9-x if you're looking for high-end mice.

Zimbardo

scy said:
As for mousepads, the only real argument I saw for them was in regards to ease of moving the mouse on the surface as opposed to tracking. Or something. I'm still skeptical on the whole damn thing, really, but curious if we had any diehard mousepad users.

i had been using my desk for a little while since it seemed 'good enough' ...but bought a Steelseries mousepad one day at Futureshop because it was on sale for $9.99. i figured i'd give it a try because its been a while since i used a mouse pad.

anyway, long story short ...i'll always use a mouse pad from now on. its a lot better. smoother mouse movement, and it keeps the bottom of your mouse cleaner, plus the feet on the bottom of your mouse should last a lot longer.

this is the one i bought for $9 on sale one time ...

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=55830&vpn=67208&manufacture=Steelseries

its pretty good. quite happy with it and the picture on there is pretty cool too.

Gvaz

Banned
sp3000 said:
This is the best mouse ever made. I got mine in 2004 and it still works perfectly.
I'm pretty sure if it broke even now and you complained about it, they'd send you a brand new one.

I've heard that happened to some people.

bill0527

Quick question. I just finished my 2nd build, but it's been 5 years since I built my other one so I don't remember....

Is the CPU fan supposed to run all the time or only as needed? I'm installing windows right now And been watching this and my CPU fan has yet to turn on. I triple checked that the fan is plugged and secured into the mobo and so is it's power cable.

mike23

scy said:

Mionix Naos 5000
Razer Deathadder
Logitech MX518

I'm partial to my Cyborg RAT 9

I'll never go wired again. The last one I had was the G9-x, before that a different logitech, and before that a razer. All $70-$100 mice and on each the fucking cord got ruined within 10 months. The non-stick sheath bunches up until it actually snaps the wires in the middle of the cord or at the part where it connects to the mouse.

I don't notice any lag. I do wish that the batteries would last a bit longer. I need to switch them after 8 hours or so of using the computer with it set at the highest sensitivity. It only takes a second to switch and it comes with 2 so it isn't a problem for me.

scy

Hm, looks like the consensus so far is the MX518, though I may just spring on the G500 over it as it's the "gaming" mouse versus the MX line. Guess I'll see if I can find one locally (actually, I think my roommate may use one >>) and do some comparisons with that.

And I think I'll just impulse buy a Steelseries mousepad to go with it; $10 to try it out is no big deal, I suppose. Might bite the bullet on the Mionix Naos just to be able to get some user impressions of my own in this thread for the future.

fake edit: That RAT 9 scares me. Holy shit, is that a torture device? But yet, I'm intrigued...

mike23

scy said:
Hm, looks like the consensus so far is the MX518, though I may just spring on the G500 over it as it's the "gaming" mouse versus the MX line. Guess I'll see if I can find one locally (actually, I think my roommate may use one >>) and do some comparisons with that.

And I think I'll just impulse buy a Steelseries mousepad to go with it; $10 to try it out is no big deal, I suppose. Might bite the bullet on the Mionix Naos just to be able to get some user impressions of my own in this thread for the future.

fake edit: That RAT 9 scares me. Holy shit, is that a torture device? But yet, I'm intrigued...

There's so much stuff to tweak on it. You can move the thumb pad forward and back and it even tilts to the side. The palm rest goes in and out and it comes with one with a rubbery surface and one with a smooth surface. It comes with 3 pinky rests. The one I use is big so that your pinky rests on it and it slides on a non-stick pad. It's great.

edit:

The thing on the top left is the pinky rest I use.

qXNrw.jpg

My ring finger and pinky sit on that and it's comfortable as fuck.

Also, how could I forget about the sniper button. It has a button on the thumb rest that you can configure to lower the sensitivity to a percent that you want. So, if you have the mouse at 4200 dpi, the button will drop it to 20% of that and it lets you aim at a less sensitive dpi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom