• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvaz

Banned
L00P said:
I have a Geforce GTS 250. Don't tell me this card is bad too!

EDIT: Games like Resident Evil 5 and Batman runs at like 58-60 fps so I think my video card is alright.
Those aren't really too intensive games.

RS4-

L00P said:
dude I just bought this I don't wanna throw it away already

It's either the 180 dollar one or the 300 dollar one. Those are my choices.

Oh :(

If it wasn't for that, then yeah, I'd go with what a few of us mentioned with spending $300 for a new mobo + processor and ram (there's a really cheap i3-2100 SB combo on NE for under $200 bucks).

Just save up.

Is overclocking to 4.5Ghz reduce longetivity of the processor even though it is "stable" ? If it would help longetivity i would just overclock to 4.0ghz instead.

momolicious said:
Is overclocking to 4.5Ghz reduce longetivity of the processor even though it is "stable" ? If it would help longetivity i would just overclock to 4.0ghz instead.

In theory, 4.5 reduces longevity owing to increased voltage. How much though, who knows. It probably won't hurt longevity much assuming you're on a 24/7 overclock at max 1.35 V.

Blackheim

I ordered the Corsair 650D case and it will be here Wed. I'm thinking that I would possibly be better served by removing the top 200mm fan and replacing it with 2 120mm fans. Is my thinking correct and that I'd have increased airflow/exhaust by doing so?

mandiller

I've got a few more queries about my new computer build.

Firstly, I'm thinking of getting an Antec Nine Hundred v2 case, seen here: http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=139&bid=2&sid=71309

Is this a good case? Would you recommend it? I'm looking for a good mid sized case for a serious gaming pc that is fairly quiet.

Secondly, Is there much difference between the Intel 320 and Intel 510 series SSDs? I plan to get a 120GB one to put my OS and programs on and maybe a game or two. The SSD is looking to be the most expensive thing in my rig, I want to know if its justified. Will I notice much different the responsiveness of Windows 7 etc?

barnone

Got my stuff in today. It posted and installed Windows on the first boot. Then I installed the drivers with the mobo disc and restarted. I got asked about a "Super Charger" application and clicked yes -> BSOD. I boot up again and click No instead. I install my EVGA GTX 570 driver disc. I perform rate my system for whatever reason... BSOD near the end. Started getting BSODs more frequently as I kept rebooting.

Been fiddling around but I can no longer get to the login screen. Will work on it more tomorrow. I am thinking it's a driver issue/video card issue. Anyway, specs:

EVGA GTX 570
i5 2500k
XFX Core Series 550W
MSI P67A-GD55 mobo
G. Skill 2x2GB RAM
Samsung 1TB F3/F4 whatever HDD

Ideas? locale ID for the BSOD was 1033. I googled that and will look more into it tomorrow.

Fredescu

mandiller said:
Firstly, I'm thinking of getting an Antec Nine Hundred v2 case, seen here: http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=139&bid=2&sid=71309

Is this a good case? Would you recommend it? I'm looking for a good mid sized case for a serious gaming pc that is fairly quiet.
Personally I prefer the CM 690 II http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=139&bid=2&sid=56282 or the Lancool K60 http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=139&bid=2&sid=48414 . Umart seem to have a decent price for the Corsair 600T http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=139&bid=2&sid=66773 (no pics on their site, Google it, it's very pretty) which is a step up from both, but obviously a little pricier.

Smokey

Actually put my 2600k to use this evening outside of gaming. Got a nice streaming channel up on justin.tv. Before I could hardly stream without the channel constantly buffering or the picture looking pixelated. Tonight I played a couple of hours on the 360, and using the Happauge HD PVR streamed it through my PC. So smooth. No skips, no stuttering...nada. People watching were telling me that it looked crystal clear as well.

Pretty sweet. I've wanted to do my own channel for awhile but my computers were always to shitty to do it right.

barnone said:
Got my stuff in today. It posted and installed Windows on the first boot. Then I installed the drivers with the mobo disc and restarted. I got asked about a "Super Charger" application and clicked yes -> BSOD. I boot up again and click No instead. I install my EVGA GTX 570 driver disc. I perform rate my system for whatever reason... BSOD near the end. Started getting BSODs more frequently as I kept rebooting.

Been fiddling around but I can no longer get to the login screen. Will work on it more tomorrow. I am thinking it's a driver issue/video card issue. Anyway, specs:

EVGA GTX 570
i5 2500k
XFX Core Series 550W
MSI P67A-GD55 mobo
G. Skill 2x2GB RAM

Ideas? locale ID for the BSOD was 1033. I googled that and will look more into it tomorrow.

I'd start out by looking for updated mobo drivers and BIOS.

jarosh

·feist· said:
1) Absolutely. Not mandatory, but highly beneficial, particularly since you'll have a low lying case. This isn't a Corsair 600T, or Cooler Master 922 where you have acres of space for spare cables. Airflow is also key, with th eless obstructions the better.
2) I haven't. If you know for certain you won't need it at all, pocket the difference.
3) One of the best things you can do to any computer. At the least consider picking up a 40-64GB SSD to get you started. Bulky applications like Windows and Photoshop are a great deal more responsive with one.

On a related note, here's a quick reference guide for anyone looking to find out the differences with an Intel 320 series SSD.

AdxRL.jpg
you're making it harder for me! lol. but thanks. i'm gonna decide on all the parts today and then post the whole build.

knitoe

Soka said:
Just to be sure, is there anything explicitly wrong with running at a fixed Vcore of 1.275 on a 2500k?
No, but why would you want to? It's better to use offset and decrease voltages while not under load.

jarosh

so how do you guys with ssds deal with the decreased storage space? what do you do with your steam/game installs?

it seems kinda pointless (but inevitable i suppose?) to have this super fast drive but then store all your games etc. on a separate mechanical hdd.

Whogie

Games aren't as important as speeding up the overall speed of the OS and heavy programs like Photoshop. If that's not good enough, some Z68 mobos can use SSDs for caching.

Binabik15

The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ arrived. Damn, I imagined it being huge after online pics and listed size, was surprised how small that package seemed and then BAM monster cooler when unpacked.

Are people still filling down the contact spot? The matte metal is dense enough to survive the filing and the soft copper gets plane with it when filing, so you can´t actually make it fit worse, am I right?

And the fan is taking in air to blow over the heatpipe, so the orientation of the fan is towards the front end of the case, right?

Looks like we´ll build that pc now, except for the RAM.

PS: Ordered 2x2 sticks of Corsair Vengeance from Amazon, but instead of the usual 2 days for shipping the site said expected date of delivery 24th, despite being in stock and sold by Amazon itself. Nooo.

Ezahn

Made a couple of changes (690 II instead of Fractal R3, 750TX instead of 650TX, removed aftermarket cooler...) but this should be the final list, ready to be bought:

DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X 1.5V CL9 (2x4GB) € 84.00
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3Ghz 6MB 1155 Sandy Bridge Unlocked con GPU 95W BOX € 185.00
SAMSUNG 1TB HD103SJ 7200rpm 32MB Spinpoint F3 € 43.50
COOLER MASTER 690 II Advanced - PURE Black Edition € 94.00
ASRock 1155 P67 Extreme4 B3 ATX ASRock 1155 P67 Extreme4 B3 ATX € 122.00
Assemblaggio pc SENZA sistema operativo € 25.00
GF GTX580 Gainward 1536MB Phantom 2xDVI/HDMI/DP € 370.00DVW
LiteOn SATA black m.SW iHAS124 24x24x/DL8x8x/RAM inter € 22.00
Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-750TXV2EU 750W Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-750TXV2EU 750W € 89.00

Totale: € 1,034.50

I wait for the final approval of GAF before clicking the buy button of doom. Tnx again for your invaluable help! :)

jarosh

Whogie said:
Games aren't as important as speeding up the overall speed of the OS and heavy programs like Photoshop. If that's not good enough, some Z68 mobos can use SSDs for caching.
i'm building a dedicated gaming rig, so i don't care much about anything outside of the OS and... well, games. i have a separate computer that i use for everything else.

that said, it would probably make the most sense to get one of the smallest intels (probably 40 gb) from the 320 series in my case, as those can be had for sub ~$100. i'm not sure it's wise to spend ~$300+ on a large 510 if i end up using it for the OS only.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
momolicious said:
Running at 4.5 from all past OC knowledge should be fine. Stability is whether it reads the 1's and 0's right and if your OC does go bad you can simply turn the speed down or give it more voltage.

For most consumer use it shouldn't affect you in its useful lifespan.
mandiller said:
I've got a few more queries about my new computer build.

Secondly, Is there much difference between the Intel 320 and Intel 510 series SSDs? I plan to get a 120GB one to put my OS and programs on and maybe a game or two. The SSD is looking to be the most expensive thing in my rig, I want to know if its justified. Will I notice much different the responsiveness of Windows 7 etc?
Antec 900 is a decent case. OP has some cases to look at.

320 and 510 not so much. I feel a solid SSD is just as good.
If you are scrutinizing the value of an SSD now you might want to get a Z68 board and use SSD caching as a cheaper alternative.

Basically the SSD allows a much smoother OS experience. I enjoy the fact that on bootup it takes 1 second to load everything (including Steam which seems to take 3 minutes on a regular HDD) and opens Firefox the next second. For some that might not be worth it.
barnone said:

EVGA GTX 570
i5 2500k
XFX Core Series 550W
MSI P67A-GD55 mobo
G. Skill 2x2GB RAM

Hmm. Reset your BIOS to default settings and disable that extra USB current.

The OS install itself might be bad, some cases of that happening for Win 7. I'd reinstall it after you reset BIOS settings.
Smokey said:
Actually put my 2600k to use this evening outside of gaming. Got a nice streaming channel up on justin.tv. Before I could hardly stream without the channel constantly buffering or the picture looking pixelated. Tonight I played a couple of hours on the 360, and using the Happauge HD PVR streamed it through my PC. So smooth. No skips, no stuttering...nada. People watching were telling me that it looked crystal clear as well.

Pretty sweet. I've wanted to do my own channel for awhile but my computers were always to shitty to do it right.
Nice. Do you have a link?
Soka said:
Just to be sure, is there anything explicitly wrong with running at a fixed Vcore of 1.275 on a 2500k?
Nope. Although I'd try to use offset voltage it's not a big deal.
jarosh said:
so how do you guys with ssds deal with the decreased storage space? what do you do with your steam/game installs?

it seems kinda pointless (but inevitable i suppose?) to have this super fast drive but then store all your games etc. on a separate mechanical hdd.
Steam Mover utility. Steam itself starts super fast which is nice and most games don't benefit that much from SSD's due to being optimized and packed together in large files.
Binabik15 said:
The Cooler Master Hyper 212+ arrived. Damn, I imagined it being huge after online pics and listed size, was surprised how small that package seemed and then BAM monster cooler when unpacked.

Are people still filling down the contact spot? The matte metal is dense enough to survive the filing and the soft copper gets plane with it when filing, so you can´t actually make it fit worse, am I right?

And the fan is taking in air to blow over the heatpipe, so the orientation of the fan is towards the front end of the case, right?

PS: Ordered 2x2 sticks of Corsair Vengeance from Amazon, but instead of the usual 2 days for shipping the site said expected date of delivery 24th, despite being in stock and sold by Amazon itself. Nooo.
Don't need to sand or lap heatsinks or processors.
Blow air over the heatsink towards the back of the case. The front of the fan faces the front, yes.
Amazon will probably delivery it faster :)
Ezahn said:
Made a couple of changes (690 II instead of Fractal R3, 750TX instead of 650TX, removed aftermarket cooler...) but this should be the final list, ready to be bought:

DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X 1.5V CL9 (2x4GB) € 84.00
Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3Ghz 6MB 1155 Sandy Bridge Unlocked con GPU 95W BOX € 185.00
SAMSUNG 1TB HD103SJ 7200rpm 32MB Spinpoint F3 € 43.50
COOLER MASTER 690 II Advanced - PURE Black Edition € 94.00
ASRock 1155 P67 Extreme4 B3 ATX ASRock 1155 P67 Extreme4 B3 ATX € 122.00
Assemblaggio pc SENZA sistema operativo € 25.00
GF GTX580 Gainward 1536MB Phantom 2xDVI/HDMI/DP € 370.00DVW
LiteOn SATA black m.SW iHAS124 24x24x/DL8x8x/RAM inter € 22.00
Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-750TXV2EU 750W Corsair Enthusiast Series CMPSU-750TXV2EU 750W € 89.00

Totale: € 1,034.50

I wait for the final approval of GAF before clicking the buy button of doom. Tnx again for your invaluable help! :)
If you have moved to the 580 a 750 won't be enough for SLi of those so either spring on a 950/1000w or bring the PSU down to 650w. (No 650TX V2? An XFX Core 650w is good too).

This is just a personal opinion, but I feel like a 570 is plenty enough. The money difference if you want to upgrade will probably be better spent on the next generation of cards coming in ~6 months. But that is just me. Maybe that 580 was made for BF3 :p
jarosh said:
i'm building a dedicated gaming rig, so i don't care much about anything outside of the OS and... well, games. i have a separate computer that i use for everything else.

that said, it would probably make the most sense to get one of the smallest intels (probably 40 gb) from the 320 series in my case, as those can be had for sub ~$100. i'm not sure it's wise to spend ~$300+ on a large 510 if i end up using it for the OS only.
If you get a Z68 motherboard you can have the normal HDD store data on the SSD (Usually a small 20/30GB fast SLC drive) to get very good performance.

A problem with buying small SSD's is that the bigger the SSD is, the faster it gets.

Ezahn

Hazaro said:
If you have moved to the 580 a 750 won't be enough for SLi of those so either spring on a 950/1000w or bring the PSU down to 650w. (No 650TX V2? An XFX Core 650w is good too).

This is just a personal opinion, but I feel like a 570 is plenty enough. The money difference if you want to upgrade will probably be better spent on the next generation of cards coming in ~6 months. But that is just me. Maybe that 580 was made for BF3 :p

Thanks!
Here's the reasoning: I put in 750w to be ready for a single card future upgrade that maybe will need more power... or to ditch the single card and SLI two middle-range upcoming cards... or to have more space to do a little OC... That's not good as it sounds, is it?

As for 570 vs 580: that's a tough one. I have a 1080p 120 Hz monitor, so I thought that maybe a 580 would be enough to push me at over solid 60/120 fps in many games where a 570 would struggle to keep that performance. But sure it is costly and with new upcoming cards... Or maybe a SLI ready 750TX + Gainward Goes Like Hell 570 is plenty enough, you may be right Haz.

Fractal R3 vs 690 II Advanced is not easy neither: I understand the Fractal is neat, well loved and quiet, but aren't those doors easy to break? and not having access to the frontal usb 3.0 that the Extreme4 provides could be annoying (and with only 2 5.25 bays I would not have nothing left if one is used by the dvd burner and another one by the usb ports...). What's your take? (while we speak I could grab the Fractal at 85 € and the 690 II at 94€)

Drek

Anyone come up with a good wireless KB/Mouse replacement for a HTPC?

I'm going to be putting an HTPC together in a few months and while I'll use a 360 adapter or bluetooth with a PS3 controller for many games I just don't see it working well with strategy games or something like The Witcher (original, not 2).

I really like this but its not wireless, which is necessary:
Razer keypad

Can you legitimately game on a trackball as opposed to a traditional mouse? I've never tried them for gaming. If so what's a good choice?

Alternatively would the Wii remote or something like it make a good mouse replacement?

I'd really love to see the Razer Hydra get a wireless release but there haven't been any details on it yet. If that had a solid release date this wouldn't be an issue, assuming sixense would work as a good mouse replacement, which it looks like it should.

jarosh

Hazaro said:
Steam Mover utility. Steam itself starts super fast which is nice and most games don't benefit that much from SSD's due to being optimized and packed together in large files.
cool. so i can install steam on the ssd and have the game files on a separate disk. perfect.

Hazaro said:
If you get a Z68 motherboard you can have the normal HDD store data on the SSD (Usually a small 20/30GB fast SLC drive) to get very good performance.

A problem with buying small SSD's is that the bigger the SSD is, the faster it gets.
...and the more it costs :p

seriously though, i'm probably getting the Asus P8H67-M PRO, so that's out of the question. i think i'll just go with the 40 gb intel. no point in getting one of the high end, high capacity ssds for me right now.

edit: although the 40 gb's write speeds seem abysmal! wtf! are you even gonna notice the difference to a regular hdd at that point? :/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ezahn said:
Thanks!
Here's the reasoning: I put in 750w to be ready for a single card future upgrade that maybe will need more power... or to ditch the single card and SLI two middle-range upcoming cards... or to have more space to do a little OC... That's not good as it sounds, is it?

As for 570 vs 580: that's a tough one. I have a 1080p 120 Hz monitor, so I thought that maybe a 580 would be enough to push me at over solid 60/120 fps in many games where a 570 would struggle to keep that performance. But sure it is costly and with new upcoming cards... Or maybe a SLI ready 750TX + Gainward Goes Like Hell 570 is plenty enough, you may be right Haz.

Fractal R3 vs 690 II Advanced is not easy neither: I understand the Fractal is neat, well loved and quiet, but aren't those doors easy to break? and not having access to the frontal usb 3.0 that the Extreme4 provides could be annoying (and with only 2 5.25 bays I would not have nothing left if one is used by the dvd burner and another one by the usb ports...). What's your take? (while we speak I could grab the Fractal at 85 € and the 690 II at 94€)
Eh. Ignore me. I'm just thinking out loud.
I rechecked some websites on predictions, but with both nVidia and AMD wanting that 28nm it's probably Q1 2012, maybe even Q2 for AMD. nVidia wanted a 2011 Kepler launch but who knows.

The 580 is a strong choice and I don't think it will feel inadequate.
jarosh said:
cool. so i can install steam on the ssd and have the game files on a separate disk. perfect.

...and the more it costs :p

seriously though, i'm probably getting the Asus P8H67-M PRO, so that's out of the question. i think i'll just go with the 40 gb intel. no point in getting one of the high end, high capacity ssds for me right now.

edit: although the 40 gb's write speeds seem abysmal! wtf! are you even gonna notice the difference to a regular hdd at that point? :/
It's the access time of 0.01ms vs 9.00ms where it excels. Also in small transfers.

Jibbed

Just a quick question guys... is 850w enough for 580 SLI?
Also, my friend is running a 6950 on an 850w, can he safely go crossfire?
Thanks.

jarosh

so, then, here's my build for now:

CASE: Silverstone Grandia SST-GD05B
BOARD: Asus P8H67-M PRO (B3)
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
SSD: Intel 320 Series, 40GB (SSDSA2CT040G3K5)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue, 7200rpm, 1 TB
OPTICAL: LG GH22NS, 22x DVD±R
RAM: Kingston HyperX, 2x4GB, DDR3-1600 (shockingly the cheapest ram here, cheaper than the kingston value ram, lol)
PSU: Seasonic X-560 (SS-560KM) Gold

gasp! no gpu, you ask? well, i'll be using my "old" gtx-260 (896 mb) for now. this rig will be hooked up to a 720p plasma for the time being. so i don't see the point in upgrading the gpu just yet. there should be plenty of juice in a gtx-260 and a 2500 i5 for 60 fps gaming @ 720p (for most games).

please, judge me, pc-gaf!
especially feist and hazaro :p

keep in mind though that i don't live in the us and there's no point in linking me to cheaper/better parts on newegg that might be a better deal ;)

Kyaw

Jibbed said:
Just a quick question guys... is 850w enough for 580 SLI?
Also, my friend is running a 6950 on an 850w, can he safely go crossfire?
Thanks.

850w is more than enough for 580 SLI.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
jarosh said:
so, then, here's my build for now:

CASE: Silverstone Grandia SST-GD05B
BOARD: Asus P8H67-M PRO (B3)
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
SSD: Intel 320 Series, 40GB (SSDSA2CT040G3K5)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue, 7200rpm, 1 TB
OPTICAL: LG GH22NS, 22x DVD±R
RAM: Kingston HyperX, 2x4GB, DDR3-1600 (shockingly the cheapest ram here, cheaper than the kingston value ram, lol)
PSU: Seasonic X-560 (SS-560KM) Gold

gasp! no gpu, you ask? well, i'll be using my "old" gtx-260 (896 mb) for now. this rig will be hooked up to a 720p plasma for the time being. so i don't see the point in upgrading the gpu just yet. there should be plenty of juice in a gtx-260 and a 2500 i5 for 60 fps gaming @ 720p (for most games).

please, judge me, pc-gaf!
especially feist and hazaro :p

keep in mind though that i don't live in the us and there's no point in linking me to cheaper/better parts on newegg that might be a better deal ;)
H67 mobo? For same price you can get Z68 and possible use smart cache if you want.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157252
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128495

Samsung F1 1TB
Kyaw said:
850w is more than enough for 580 SLI.
A very good 850W yes. If you overclock them with the CPU and stress it that is a ridiculous draw on the 12V. However, if you are getting a 850W Gold unit, then a 1000W (Like the Silverstone or CoolerMaster Silent Pro) is just a touch extra and imo worth it.
The extra power is just there for peak draws under stress.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171056

If you don't run FURMark it probably won't peak nearly as high, but honestly if I was powering nearly $1000 in graphics cards I'd spend the extra $40.

xFire 6950's no problem on 850w.

Binabik15

Thanks, Hazaro.

I think I´ll start putting it together now, minus RAM and cables.

PS: Amazon dispatched it, but if it´s not here tomorrow it´ll be Friday at the earliest, thanks to the holiday.

jarosh

Hazaro said:
jarosh said:
:p

the Gigabyte GA-Z68MA would be ~$40 more here in switzerland (but not in stock where i'm buying). the asrock one i could get for only ~$20 more, but it's only being sold by the dodgiest of online stores here. i'm not gonna risk having to ship a broken mobo back to taiwan myself if anything goes wrong. i COULD get the Gigabyte GA-Z68MX but that would set me back an additional ~$60. seems pointless, especially since you apparently still can't overclock the cpu with the z68 ones (compared to the p67 ones).

i'm buying everything except the case from here:
http://www.digitec.ch
(site's in english too for the most part).

here's a link to my wip build:
http://www.digitec.ch/?wk=bUMKBWEG3ao&view=product

they have a brick and mortar store nearby and offer exceptional support. i can just walk in and drop off faulty parts and they take care of everything, usually exchange shit right away etc. they're usually also the cheapest around but even when they aren't, i don't mind paying a few bucks more for obvious reasons. feel free to look around their site and suggest different parts though ;)

Smokey

Wolf Akela said:
I really don't think it has anything to do with your 2600k. Even moldy old single cores can decode 1080p vids.

I was streaming.

My old computer with a core 2 duo struggled quite a bit. Had to reduce the quality down so much that you could barely see what was going on. Also had to reduce FPS <25. Had to make a lot of concessions just for the CPU to be able to handle it.

None of those problems at all yesterday.

Hazaro said:
Nice. Do you have a link?

www.justin.tv/smokeygaf

Bland right now since I haven't used it in a while before yesterday, but there it is.

spicy cho

Hazaro said:
Not sure what this is, but I have steam on my 80gb SSD and have all my games on another drive using symbolic links.

Kyaw

Hazaro said:
A very good 850W yes. If you overclock them with the CPU and stress it that is a ridiculous draw on the 12V. However, if you are getting a 850W Gold unit, then a 1000W (Like the Silverstone or CoolerMaster Silent Pro) is just a touch extra and imo worth it.
The extra power is just there for peak draws under stress.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171056

If you don't run FURMark it probably won't peak nearly as high, but honestly if I was powering nearly $1000 in graphics cards I'd spend the extra $40.

xFire 6950's no problem on 850w.

Yeah you are right.
I wish i had enough money for dual 480s. But then i would need new mobo and new PSU.

Ezahn

Hazaro said:
Eh. Ignore me. I'm just thinking out loud.
I rechecked some websites on predictions, but with both nVidia and AMD wanting that 28nm it's probably Q1 2012, maybe even Q2 for AMD. nVidia wanted a 2011 Kepler launch but who knows.

The 580 is a strong choice and I don't think it will feel inadequate.

It's the access time of 0.01ms vs 9.00ms where it excels. Also in small transfers.

I'll leave the 580 then. ;-)

What about the other two points?
- 650w vs 750w psu (do I need psu space for oc'ing and future gpu upgrades?)
- 690 II vs Fractal R3

Do you guys have any decisive opinion? My finger really wants to click the buy button but I must be sure everything's shiny. ^^

People who don't respond after someone has replied to their inquiry... I don't understand that...

Also, this thread is growing too quickly. Seems to be the case with each successive year's edition growing faster than the last. On track to needing a brief OT3 stopgap before 2012's OP arrives.

In other randomness, imagine if this were a viable consumer desktop GPU:

KnightsFerry.jpg
Sl31V.jpg

Ezahn said:
I'll leave the 580 then. ;-)

What about the other two points?
- 650w vs 750w psu (do I need psu space for oc'ing and future gpu upgrades?)
- 690 II vs Fractal R3

Do you guys have any decisive opinion? My finger really wants to click the buy button but I must be sure everything's shiny. ^^
R3 for silence, 690 II for cooling. Even with modding, neither one can quite compete with the others strong points. While it isn't impossible, I've never heard of a Define owner breaking their door off. Looking at the difference in price, if you opt for the R3, you may want to pick up an additional fan for a second intake to help cool the 580 and your CPU.

jarosh said:
:p

the Gigabyte GA-Z68MA would be ~$40 more here in switzerland (but not in stock where i'm buying). the asrock one i could get for only ~$20 more, but it's only being sold by the dodgiest of online stores here. i'm not gonna risk having to ship a broken mobo back to taiwan myself if anything goes wrong. i COULD get the Gigabyte GA-Z68MX but that would set me back an additional ~$60. seems pointless, especially since you apparently still can't overclock the cpu with the z68 ones (compared to the p67 ones).

i'm buying everything except the case from here:
http://www.digitec.ch
(site's in english too for the most part).

here's a link to my wip build:
http://www.digitec.ch/?wk=bUMKBWEG3ao&view=product

they have a brick and mortar store nearby and offer exceptional support. i can just walk in and drop off faulty parts and they take care of everything, usually exchange shit right away etc. they're usually also the cheapest around but even when they aren't, i don't mind paying a few bucks more for obvious reasons. feel free to look around their site and suggest different parts though ;)
The ability to overclock, while still having access to the iGP is one of the Z68's biggest selling points. Thought you where going with an Asus P67 M Pro? If you don't get a P67/Z68 mATX, then you may as well change the CPU to a non-K model and save some money. The additional outlay for a P67/Z68 will pay dividends when, down the line, you'd only need to overclock to extend the life of your system, instead of needing a new CPU/motherboard upgrade for performance.

Ezahn

·feist· said:
R3 for silence, 690 II for cooling. Even with modding, neither one can quite compete with the others strong points. While it isn't impossible, I've never heard of a Define owner breaking their door off. Looking at the difference in price, if you opt for the R3, you may want to pick up an additional fan for a second intake to help cool the 580 and your CPU.

@ .feist. thanks a lot, I hate noise but still I hate more a fried PC, so maybe I'll go for the 690 II: the system will be used almost only for gaming, so I don't think the noise will be that noticeable.

Now I have only to decide on the psu... with the same hardware, does a 750w consume more than a 650w? I know a bigger psu erogates only the required energy but stil... Is there a minus in having a bigger psu, initial cost aside?

Coldsnap

·feist· said:

Sorry for dumb question but I'm sorta a computer beginner. Where is the intake on the R3 case? Right now I have an extra 500 rpm Scythe fan that is sitting on the bottom of the case; wondering if it would serve better in other locations.

Ezahn said:
@ .feist. thanks a lot, I hate noise but still I hate more a fried PC, so maybe I'll go for the 690 II: the system will be used almost only for gaming, so I don't think the noise will be that noticeable.

Now I have only to decide on the psu... with the same hardware, does a 750w consume more than a 650w? I know a bigger psu erogates only the required energy but stil... Is there a minus in having a bigger psu, initial cost aside?

I have an R3 and i run my fans super slow like around 400 rpms and my temps in my case stay super cold.

ithorien

Any one of you guys have any experience from the workstation perspective?

My mom's an architect, and she's working on older PCs at the moment. Think they're older dual core. She's thinking of getting one really good replacement PC, she wants to switch from CAD to Revit. She's only doing floor plans, nothing 3d.

I've been looking around at parts, and everything from the pro side tells me to splurge for a 2600k, Quadro card, etc to get it as much future proof as possible. My gamer side tells me that something I built for myself, 2500k, 570 is good enough (if even not too much) since it seems to run 3ds Max more than fine.

Any recommendations?

Shambles

Fredescu said:
It's a GUI based symbolic link creator basically.

Is it possible to use symbollic links while also retaining the base folder link? For example if you want steam as well as your three most common games installed on a SSD but you want the other 200GB of games on a secondary HDD can you do that? Are you left trying to create symbollic links for every individual game folder inside of steams common folder? I'll be picking up a SSD later this year and want to keep games like TF2 on the SSD but it would be a royal pain in the ass if I had to maintain an exception list for every single game I have on steam.

Sorry, ithorien. Just don't have enough experience on that. The only thing is that the Quadros seem to have a clear advantage over FirePros, and while a 570 "equivalent" Quadro won't game like its desktop relative, even a lower Quadro will outperform a 570 in the areas that it's specialized in.

Ezahn said:

Not really. It's mostly down to the PSU's spec (component & build quality) than actual output. Two different 500W models can consume differently, even powering the same build. If we both had the same exact build, including PSU, my PSU may consume more because I have a warmer ambient.

You'd be hard pressed to easily SLI two 580s and an OC CPU with only a 750W (maybe if it were platinum), so I'd just go with a 650W. You can either sell off/transfer (to another build) the 650W if you do SLI in the future, or go with a larger capacity model now if you know for certain that you'll be adding another card at some point.

Coldsnap said:
Sorry for dumb question but I'm sorta a computer beginner. Where is the intake on the R3 case? Right now I have an extra 500 rpm Scythe fan that is sitting on the bottom of the case; wondering if it would serve better in other locations.
Open the door and then click open the flap to reveal the fan.

FD-CA-DEF-R3-WH_3_medium.jpg

Bottom intakes don't work for some, and actually raise their temps. You should try the fan in different configs to see which has the best temp result with your components.

ithorien

Shambles said:
Is it possible to use symbollic links while also retaining the base folder link? For example if you want steam as well as your three most common games installed on a SSD but you want the other 200GB of games on a secondary HDD can you do that? Are you left trying to create symbollic links for every individual game folder inside of steams common folder? I'll be picking up a SSD later this year and want to keep games like TF2 on the SSD but it would be a royal pain in the ass if I had to maintain an exception list for every single game I have on steam.

Steam tool makes links to just the game folders, not the steam folder itself, but only for the steamapps/common folder.

I have TF2 on my SSD while I have Portal 2, SMB and a couple of others on my HDD. You can also use Junction Link Magic to make custom junctions, but I think games like TF2 are too all over the place to junction just that.

http://www.rekenwonder.com/linkmagic.htm

ithorien

·feist· said:
Sorry, ithorien. Just don't have enough experience on that. The only thing is that the Quadros seem to have a clear advantage over FirePros, and while a 570 "equivalent" Quadro won't game like its desktop relative, even a lower Quadro will outperform a 570 in the areas that it's specialized in.

Np. Honestly the more I think about it, floor plans are not that much more complicated than just doing a larger/more complex vector in Illustrator, something you don't need a Quadro for. Now I just need to figure out if I want to build her something solid solid, or just to hold her over.

Ezahn

·feist· said:
You'd be hard pressed to easily SLI two 580s and an OC CPU with only a 750W (maybe if it were platinum), so I'd just go with a 650W. You can either sell off/transfer (to another build) the 650W if you do SLI in the future, or go with a larger capacity model now if you know for certain that you'll be adding another card at some point.

@ .feist. tnx again! I never thought of trying to SLI two 580s with 750w tough, it was only for leaving some space for oc'ing the cpu and the single 580 itself (or to be ready for an eventual new high end gpu / two medium end SLI in the future). Is it not worth it? You'd go for 650w still?

...oh, and I could grab a Crucial M4 128gb SSD for 179€... VERY TEMPTING! (M4 + Samsung F4 2tb...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom