• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scogoth

Yes you are correct. That board will work fine. Mistake on my part. I've got the Pro version so that's why that thought came to mind. Forgot that it was still P67 so you're good.

You can make it up by running BF3 on Ultra in S3D and seeing how your two 580s handle it =)

All right guys,

I'm planning on trying my hand at building my own PC for the first time. This thread's been a great help, and I just wanted to know if there were any compatibility/form factor issues I haven't thought of. I'm not looking to overclock much, if any.

KVdGe.png

Note: I'm borrowing a spare hard drive from a friend until hard drive prices can come down a little.

mkenyon

Banned
For anyone considering water-cooling, the xspc rasa rs240 kit is on sale for $117 right now.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...ling_Kit_w_Free_Kill_Coil_-_BLACK_FRIDAY.html
All right guys,

I'm planning on trying my hand at building my own PC for the first time. This thread's been a great help, and I just wanted to know if there were any compatibility/form factor issues I haven't thought of. I'm not looking to overclock much, if any.

Note: I'm borrowing a spare hard drive from a friend until hard drive prices can come down a little.

There are better PSU's on sale right now, check the last few pages.. Looks good other than that.

Petrie

Banned
Im thinking it might be time for a refresh on my system. Earlier this year I bought a GTX460, and id like to keep using it, but im still running a P5Q pro with 4 gigs of ddr2 memory, and a dual core 3.0 processor. Im ready to upgrade if there's good deals to be had in the next few days. Has enough info leaked or can I get some recommendations? Planning to use the the 600 watt corsair power supply I got recently, and possibly my antec 300 case, along with the gtx 460, unless a great deal shows up. Just looking for advice on the best bang for my buck

mkenyon

Banned
Im thinking it might be time for a refresh on my system. Earlier this year I bought a GTX460, and id like to keep using it, but im still running a P5Q pro with 4 gigs of ddr2 memory, and a dual core 3.0 processor. Im ready to upgrade if there's good deals to be had in the next few days. Has enough info leaked or can I get some recommendations? Planning to use the the 600 watt corsair power supply I got recently, and possibly my antec 300 case, along with the gtx 460, unless a great deal shows up. Just looking for advice on the best bang for my buck
Micro center has 2500K's for $150 if you have one near you. Newegg has them for $200. Grab a nice P67 or Z68 board from either that is on sale, add 8GB of DDR3 for $40ish that is also on sale.

Could SLI 460s if you can stomach possible troubleshooting and constant driver updates.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017&Tpk=OCZ 600

Would this be a good replacement? I picked the Thermaltake one because of free shipping and the mail-in rebate.
Eh, there was a Corsair TX650 or 750 for pretty cheap. Exodus linked it.

(on ad on vacation, hard to be efficient with that sort of linking)

Chris R

I have a question... Not exactly related to PC but close enough I guess.

What is the best Wireless Router on the market right now? Don't need it to do much (though I guess a USB port on it to be able to plug in drives would be cool) other than be a wireless router with one or two wired ports too. I'd prefer if it wasn't linksys.

I currently have 2x2gb G Skill Ripjaws in my ASUS P8P67 mobo, if I bought 2x4gb sticks of the same RAM (newegg 29.99), could I still add them to my rig to get 12gb of RAM? or would that cause instability?

This thread and all the resources within have been a huge help.

Current Specs: Core i7 920 2.67Ghz / Corsair Vengeance 6GB PC3-12800 1600mHz / Asus P6T Deluxe / GTX 280
Budget: $900-1,000
Main Use: Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback)
Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Battlefield 3, Star Wars The Old Republic, The Witcher 2, Skyrim
Are reusing any parts?: Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W
When will you build?: Aiming to have everything by mid-Dec
Will you be overclocking?: Probably

These are the components I've come up with after some research:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3Ghz 6MB
Mobo: ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z (leaning toward this one)
or
ASUS LGA 1155 Intel Z68 DDR3 2200 P8Z68V
or
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Superclocked 1280 MB GDDR5
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8 GB PC3-12800 1600mhz
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB or Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB (just one until the prices go down)
SSD: Crucial 128GB M4

I've gotten these already:

Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400R
HSF: Cooler Master Hyper N520

And as indicated above I'm reusing a Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W. I'm really undecided between mobos right now. I'm also restricted to getting all my parts from amazon since newegg doesn't accept international cards. Thoughts on my choices so far?

mkenyon

Banned
Looks good, I'd go with the Gene-Z, but I have two of them so I'm biased.

Rockin case, did a build in one for a buddy recently, and I almost like it more than the 600T my AMD rig is in.

*edit
You are upgrading from nehalem to SB? Not going to get very much out of it. You'd be better off grabbing a really good cooler for your current system and start OC'ing.

Ariexv

Whats the minimum amount I should be looking @ to be able to play League of Legends Decently and The Old Republic when it comes out on a laptop?

mkenyon

Banned
Whats the minimum amount I should be looking @ to be able to play League of Legends Decently and The Old Republic when it comes out on a laptop?
There is a link to the laptop thread in the OP. Parts are completely different, so a lot of us here are clueless, such as myself. As far as TOR goes, maybe someone in the beta thread can give you a good idea.

Looks good, I'd go with the Gene-Z, but I have two of them so I'm biased.

I've been seeing a lot of shining reviews of the board and it looks pretty damn slick. The only thing I'm concerned about is if (or rather when) I want to add another 570 in the future. It looks like a tight fit.

Rockin case, did a build in one for a buddy recently, and I almost like it more than the 600T my AMD rig is in.

Yeah it's a really slick looking case especially in person. I can't wait to get it all set up!

*edit
You are upgrading from nehalem to SB? Not going to get very much out of it. You'd be better off grabbing a really good cooler for your current system and start OC'ing.

Well I plan on keeping what I have now and using it as a workbench of sorts or later turning it into a HTPC for my parents. So I'm good going for a new build. :)

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
The shapes should match. Are you sure your not using the PCIe connector by mistake? The CPU cable is usually 4+4 pin and the PCIe is usually 6+2 pins.
Hmm yes, I was sure of it. There are 2 PCIe cables. I used them both for the gtx 560 (required 6x2, with 2 pins hanging from each cable). I was surprised as well because the shapes always matched, this is a new mobo tho (p67) and I thought maybe things were changed to work retroactively or something

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
So off the desktops on sale at Newegg (link below) can anyone recommend any of them for me? Basically, I need a desktop to play Blizzard and Valve games. Not Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3, just Blizzard and Valve games. Nothing super fancy. Here's the link. There's a section for desktops. Help would be greatly appreciated.

http://promotions.newegg.com/black-friday/2011/11-3466/index.html
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...g-_-10-_-N82E16883229285&nm_mc=BF2011_listing

Lowest price with a good GPU

The more expensive ones seem to have the same GPU. Not sure if blizzard games require much CPU power tho but should be fine. Should also run Crysis 2 and BF3 at fancy enough GFX

edit, nvm. CPU is good as well

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Quick question, what were Pre-flood HDD internal prices like? Thinking of a 2TB on Amazon for about 150$, and I don't know how much that was up.

Was planning on just using my old one, but if the 150 for a 2TB isn't much different, might as well jump in now.

Saige

I must do better.
Quick question about a possible ram upgrade. Here’s my setup:

6950 flashed to a 6970
Q6600 @ 3.0GHz
4GB DDR2
Running at 1920 x 1200

Would it be worthwhile adding another 4GB of ram to this (I don’t plan on doing a big upgrade for a while), or is my processor the thing that’s holding me back the most?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Quick question, what were Pre-flood HDD internal prices like? Thinking of a 2TB on Amazon for about 150$, and I don't know how much that was up.
2TB could be had for 60-80 if you looked around. Around 80-100 if you went in a random store.

vaelic

Banned
trying to figure out what could be causing my PC to BSOD or freeze at random times.

I have an ASUS MAXIMUS GENE-Z, 8 GIGS GSKILL and 2500K. I overclocked the 2500k to 4.5GHz and my radeon 5850 .

The 2500k under load is only around 55c and the radeon underload is only ay 73c. The weird thing is, I went to bed last night with the PC at the desktop with nothing going on and when I woke up it was at the BSOD.

For now I went back to default CPU settings on the 2500k 3.3GHz to see if that was the issue.

Kind of at a loss..

mkenyon

Banned
Do you have speedstepping disabled? it clocks the proc down when not at load and can cause BSODs on higjly OCd systems. If it is, add a little voltage. No issues in pre 95 at your previous clock/voltage?

Hellish

finally joining the 120hz monitor crowd with the S27A950D. should be here tomorrow :D

sick, I am probably going with the lower end S23A700D

the 950D wont touch bezels in the 23" because of the stand (27" one is fine), and the 750D has a clear bezel which I do not like.

Getting 3x for eyefinity

vaelic

Banned
Do you have speedstepping disabled? it clocks the proc down when not at load and can cause BSODs on higjly OCd systems. If it is, add a little voltage. No issues in pre 95 at your previous clock/voltage?

speedstep is enabled. voltage is set at 1.20 per a guide from overclockers site.

SO FAR 4.0GHz seems to be holding but 4.5 will not

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Can anyone help?
could be that there's not enough voltage going into the chip that prevents it from going further. there's no reason to fiddle to go higher, though.

Disable speedstep, it's undervolting your proc at idle.
not necessarily. depends on the board, and the OC settings. this doesn't happen on Gigabyte boards, for instance. a 2500k at 4.5ghz is very optimistic

vaelic

Banned
could be that there's not enough voltage going into the chip that prevents it from going further. there's no reason to fiddle to go higher, though.

not necessarily. depends on the board, and the OC settings. this doesn't happen on Gigabyte boards, for instance. a 2500k at 4.5ghz is very optimistic

Hmm it is? I heard 4.5 is very doable with aftermarket cooler.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Hmm it is? I heard 4.5 is very doable with aftermarket cooler.

sorry, meant optimistic at 1.2v. i'm able to get 4.3 at 1.25v and 4.7 at 1.36v. you'll also need to increase the CPU PLL voltage a tad the higher in voltage that you go.

vaelic

Banned
sorry, meant optimistic at 1.2v. i'm able to get 4.3 at 1.25v and 4.7 at 1.36v. you'll also need to increase the CPU PLL voltage a tad the higher in voltage that you go.

what did you set your CPU PLL at for 4.3 ?

for 4.0 im at PLL of 1.77 and CPU core at 1.20

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone know of a receiver-style case for a gaming pc? Want something that would look nice on the shelf but fit a good graphics card.

Any comments before I pull the trigger? I needed a new mouse and saw the G500 on sale, and after browsing I'm gonna build a new PC to replace my 6+ year-old Dell.

UT0Zu.jpg

I skipped the GPU because I bought one not long ago (an HD5570) and plan to keep using it for a while longer; I also plan to cannibalize the optical drives out of my Dell as they're fairly new, and I already have a new HDD that I bought before prices shot up. The only thing I really need is a copy of Windows 7, which never goes on sale so there's no point in buying now as opposed to later; plus I'm a little fuzzy on the benefits of 64-bit over 32-bit.

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone know of a receiver-style case for a gaming pc? Want something that would look nice on the shelf but fit a good graphics card.
Go to newegg, look at cases then go into the HTPC cases, check out silverstone and Lian Li options.
what did you set your CPU PLL at for 4.3 ?

for 4.0 im at PLL of 1.77 and CPU core at 1.20
Are you stress testing your proc in prime 95 after you select a multiplier and voltage?

TheExodu5

Banned
And PC started rebooting again.

To summarize, I've tried two motherboards and two power supplies, so I doubt they are the issue (unless there was a similar defect in the replacement part).

This is the worst issue I've ever encountered. It's been a month and a half and I still have been unable to diagnose it. Is it possible for RAM to cause hard restarts (no BSOD)? I'm running my RAM at 1033 (down from 1600) now to see if it'll do the trick.

The weird thing: it is not related to the amount of stress my PC is under. I had stress tests running for 12 hours straight earlier this week without any issues. Today, it just reboot while browsing, and then it would reboot constantly unless I were to leave my PC alone for a little bit. That makes it sound heat related.

SHIT MAKES NO SENSE.

How are gigabyte mobos?

Besides my SATA 2 ports dying (which was an Intel issue), no complaints. I thought my motherboard was causing random restarts...but I guess not. Support kind of sucked since it took me 2 weeks to get a replacement motherboard using advanced RMA though.

edit:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/14387

Sounds like RAM might be able to cause hard restarts. I was under the impression I would get blue screens with RAM issues, but I guess that might not always be the case. I really, really hope the RAM is the issue. Otherwise, I'm at a complete loss.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
>_> Haz told me to post here in a fit of Broodwar rage.

http://www.msy.com.au/Parts/notebook.pdf

;_; which one do I buy.

I'm so horribly out of my depth.

My target is $1000, I don't mine being above that by up to 100 if it means an amazing leap compared to something 100 less.

Main wants: to play the superior starcraft 2, and skyrim.

HD size isn't too important as I have plenty of external drives.

would prefer larger screen, as this will be my only computer, but I don't mind too much, as I have a HDMI cable set up from where it sits right to my TV for viewing.

At the moment I'm looking at the:
Asus N53SV-HDU3-SX492V under the MAINSTREAM 2 tab, centre right.

bluray doesn't matter, dvd drive does. HDMI out obviously, um.. i dont know :(

my last laptop, my precious friend of 2+ years, my toshiba satellite a300a just passed away. I'm in mourning :( and need a new pet to make me happy.

*looks sad*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom