• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rufus

Diagram is a bit shit. Below it says Channel A is A1 and B1 (a bit of a misnomer I'd say). I should put my 2GB sticks in those slots for dual channel, and I assume the 4GB will be single channel and I can put it anywhere?
Ah, crap, I totally didn't see that you had three modules in total now. Sorry about that.
In that case: 2GB modules in channel A, and the one 4GB in channel B could work, but I believe it depends on the motherboard if it can deal with three sticks like that. I assume the manual doesn't mention anything in detail, considering how crap the diagram is?

Somebody else have any input on that?

edit:
I looked at it myself now and found this, right below the diagram:
M4A87TD Manual said:
"You may install varying memory sizes in Channel A and Channel B. The system maps the total size of the lover-sized channel for the dual-channel configuration. Any excess memory from the higher-sized channel is then mapped for single-channel operation."

If I understand this correctly you should be fine with the configuration described above, since both channels will be 4GB big.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ok. GTX 570 - which brand / card / cooler do you go with?

For the cooler, go with the Arctic Accelero Pro. It's the best GPU cooler you could buy and it's under 50. It's all enthusiast but I assume you want the best temps and longevity for your GPU. I can't find the post as it's too old but my GPU temps went up to 99C without it. With a fan profile, temps have not shot up higher than 77 on the most intense and long runs.

I am due for a cleaning since for a short bit (like minutes) my temp went up to 80C. I don't really care too much as if it gets that high, the fan works better and brings it back down at least a few degrees. You should worry when you keep playing at temps in the 90's for extended periods.

Just looked up the 5970 and it looks like it is a %300 percent upgrade from my current 5770. (at least in terms of battlefield 3, high settings, 1900x1200)
amd%20high%201920.png

worth the $299?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...103195&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-14-103-195-_-Product

There are so many factors in gpu's I don't want to buy it unless I know it is a good deal.

MC RaZaR

Neo Member
It's a pretty good deal. Not many 5970s available since the 6000 series came out. I'm surprised the 6970 is outperformed by the 5970 as the 6970 is suppose to be the equivalent of a 5970. The 6970 is $50+ more than the 5970. If you're OK with AMD/ATI cards, then you should probably go for it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Just looked up the 5970 and it looks like it is a %300 percent upgrade from my current 5770. (at least in terms of battlefield 3, high settings, 1900x1200)
amd%20high%201920.png

worth the $299?
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...103195&cm_sp=DailyDeal-_-14-103-195-_-Product

There are so many factors in gpu's I don't want to buy it unless I know it is a good deal.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you are ready to deal with the issues that Crossfire/multiGPU solutions will bring along. The 5970 is just two ~5870 cores on the same GPU. So you could get performance anywhere from 580-level to as low as 6870 level for games unoptimized for dual GPU solutions. Plus the addition of microstutter.

It adds a lot of extra performance in many cases, but it can also add a lot of headaches. Never bothered with multiple GPUs before and don't intend to, but several people on here have or do use multiple GPUs.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you are ready to deal with the issues that Crossfire/multiGPU solutions will bring along. The 5970 is just two ~5870 cores on the same GPU. So you could get performance anywhere from 580-level to as low as 6870 level for games unoptimized for dual GPU solutions. Plus the addition of microstutter.

It adds a lot of extra performance in many cases, but it can also add a lot of headaches. Never bothered with multiple GPUs before and don't intend to, but several people on here have or do use multiple GPUs.

Sounds like a hastle, I will wait for a deal on a 580 i guess, Nvidia seems to be the way to go

Ah, crap, I totally didn't see that you had three modules in total now. Sorry about that.
In that case: 2GB modules in channel A, and the one 4GB in channel B could work, but I believe it depends on the motherboard if it can deal with three sticks like that. I assume the manual doesn't mention anything in detail, considering how crap the diagram is?

Somebody else have any input on that?

edit:
I looked at it myself now and found this, right below the diagram:

If I understand this correctly you should be fine with the configuration described above, since both channels will be 4GB big.

Yep, here it is straight from the manual, same as you have above:

IYi9P.png

Since Channel A (2 x 2GB) and Channel B (4GB) are the same size, I would hope the motherboard knows to map Channel A as dual-channel.

Edit:

Wikipedia said:
If the motherboard has two pairs of differently colored DIMM sockets (the colors indicate which bank they belong to, bank 0 or bank 1), then one can place a matched pair of memory modules in bank 0, but a different-capacity pair of modules in bank 1, as long as they are of the same speed. Using this scheme, a pair of 1 GB memory modules in bank 0 and a pair of matched 512 MB modules in bank 1 would be acceptable for dual-channel operation.

Based on this, it seems that Bank 0 (Channel A in my case) would function as dual-channel, and the Bank 1 (Channel B) would function as single-channel.

gokieks

It's a pretty good deal. Not many 5970s available since the 6000 series came out. I'm surprised the 6970 is outperformed by the 5970 as the 6970 is suppose to be the equivalent of a 5970. The 6970 is $50+ more than the 5970. If you're OK with AMD/ATI cards, then you should probably go for it.

No, the replacement for the 5970 is the 6990. ATI's naming scheme from the 5000 series to 6000 series was a clusterfuck:

5850 -> 6950
5870 -> 6970
5970 (dual-GPU) -> 6990 (dual-GPU)

And I wouldn't get a 5970 for the same reasons I wouldn't get any other dual-GPU card - they just have too many issues, and the uneven performance increases isn't worth the hassle.

MC RaZaR

Neo Member
No, the replacement for the 5970 is the 6990. ATI's naming scheme from the 5000 series to 6000 series was a clusterfuck:

5850 -> 6950
5870 -> 6970
5970 (dual-GPU) -> 6990 (dual-GPU)

And I wouldn't get a 5890 for the same reasons I wouldn't get any other dual-GPU card - they just have too many issues, and the uneven performance increases isn't worth the hassle.

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know why they changed the naming scheme.

gokieks

Thanks for clearing that up. I don't know why they changed the naming scheme.

Because they're competing with nVidia to see who can come up with the most ridiculously convoluted and nonsensical naming scheme.

nVidia took a giant lead with the 8800GT becoming the 9800GT becoming the GTS250 becoming the GT330, ATI caught up with the 5xxx to 6xxx transition (and the 5770 and 6770 being literally the same card), and then nVidia regained the crown once again with the GTX 560, 560Ti, and soon to be 560Ti 448 Core.

Sadly, bad as both may be, they're probably still better than camera makers.

mkenyon

Banned

This. It's two GPUs on the same PCB instead of connected by a crossfire cable. Cards like this are for people who like to tinker and fiddle with settings and drivers to get max performance. That being said, if you only play AAA games, you'd be okay if you were totally on top of driver, beta driver, and hotfix updates.

For folks who are looking for headsets, or an upgrade, Sennheiser PC-350s are on sale for $100 on newegg. Promo code is EMCJJHE78.

Also, folks find any good non-MIR SSD or high end GPU sales? Tiger Direct and Newegg are sucking it up so far. Did find an E-350 11.6" laptop on Tiger for $300, bought one for my sister in law for Christmas.

Also looking for a 120hz monitor if anyone spots one.

scogoth

This. It's two GPUs on the same PCB instead of connected by a crossfire cable. Cards like this are for people who like to tinker and fiddle with settings and drivers to get max performance. That being said, if you only play AAA games, you'd be okay if you were totally on top of driver, beta driver, and hotfix updates.

For folks who are looking for headsets, or an upgrade, Sennheiser PC-350s are on sale for $100 on newegg. Promo code is EMCJJHE78.

Also, folks find any good non-MIR SSD or high end GPU sales? Tiger Direct and Newegg are sucking it up so far. Did find an E-350 11.6" laptop on Tiger for $300, bought one for my sister in law for Christmas.

Also looking for a 120hz monitor if anyone spots one.

Double the monitor, SSD and GPUs; looking for Canadian Deals.

Vertex 3 240GB MAX IOPS $200 off at NCIX http://www.ncix.com/products/index....-240G&manufacture=OCZ Technology&promoid=1115
Intel 320 160GB $160 after MIR and free BF3 http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=59831&vpn=SSDSA2CW160G3K5&manufacture=Intel&promoid=1115

Rufus

Based on this, it seems that Bank 0 (Channel A in my case) would function as dual-channel, and the Bank 1 (Channel B) would function as single-channel.
They are not describing the same situation though. Two 1GB sticks in channel A and two 512MB sticks in channel, a case which the manual of your board covers already.

Just try it out and check with CPU-Z whether it's running in dual channel.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
There usually isn't any binning with GPUs. Some exceptions (MSI Lightnings maybe?) but the general rule is to just go for whatever is cheaper, because you can usually OC to match factory OCs pretty easily.

Yeah, for MSI the higher priced ones usually also mean better power regulation and components, meaning it'll handle higher voltages better.

mkenyon

Banned
Somehow missed it, but newegg has a Force GT 120GB for $175. Bought a second for RAID0 goodness.

@conversation above
EVGA bins their high end stuff.

They are not describing the same situation though. Two 1GB sticks in channel A and two 512MB sticks in channel, a case which the manual of your board covers already.

Just try it out and check with CPU-Z whether it's running in dual channel.

Will do. Thanks for the help mate. Really appreciate it.

Cheers

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Only if you're looking for the 2500k ($150). I don't know if they are still doing it, but they used to have nice discounted motherboard and cpu combos. Keep 'em in mind as you look for the rest of your build.

Ran up to MC and grabbed an i5 2500k and an ASUS P8Z68-M pro for about $240 after tax.

Now to find a GPU deal.

Max

I am not Max
From memory these are my specs:

i5 750 2.3ghz
HD 4890
4 GB DDR3
600w PSU

Now what i'm wondering is which I should prioritize in upgrading, I've been leaning towards a new GPU, something around $200 I guess. The 560 maybe?

so the MSI card listed in "Enthusiast" is out of stock. Can I go wtih an eVGA 3GB version? Is 3GB needed to futureproof a bit?

Also, I assume an OEM version of Windows 7 is fine, correct? Do I need professional?

edit: I think I'll just get the MSI 570GTX and then upgrade the card at a later date.

Final question: Can I use my Feb. 2011 27" iMac as a monitor for my new rig? Is that possible?

Ran up to MC and grabbed an i5 2500k and an ASUS P8Z68-M pro for about $240 after tax.

Now to find a GPU deal.

I picked up the same combo - I'm guessing that's a good board? The reviews seem okay on newegg, but I'd like to be sure before I finish the build.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up the same combo - I'm guessing that's a good board? The reviews seem okay on newegg, but I'd like to be sure before I finish the build.

I'm not entirely sure. There aren't many reviews for this size, but the reviews of the full ATX were good, so I'm putting my faith I that.

I'm putting this stuff into an htpc case, so I'm limited to mATX.

achapel

I have a 4870 1gb gpu at this moment and I seriously need an upgrade since BF3 and Skyrim are barely playable. (Well BF3 is < 30 fps on low for me, Skyrim is better, but not as good as I would like)

I can afford up to $250, I am not a fan of rebates, but if they are big enough I will do them (more than $30). What would be my best upgrade option for gpu, the biggest bang for my buck?

I saw a 6950 2GB for $220~ after rebate. But I know the 560 TI is pretty nice too (my brother has one), though it ultimately comes down to price. I would love a 2GB card but it isn't the only factor.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I have a 4870 1gb gpu at this moment and I seriously need an upgrade since BF3 and Skyrim are barely playable. (Well BF3 is < 30 fps on low for me, Skyrim is better, but not as good as I would like)

I can afford up to $250, I am not a fan of rebates, but if they are big enough I will do them (more than $30). What would be my best upgrade option for gpu, the biggest bang for my buck?

I saw a 6950 2GB for $220~ after rebate. But I know the 560 TI is pretty nice too (my brother has one), though it ultimately comes down to price. I would love a 2GB card but it isn't the only factor.

6950 or 560 Ti, 6950 is a bit better, but you can't really go wrong with either.

traveler

Not Wario
Bumping this.

Think I'm finally ready to pull the trigger on a new machine and now seems like a good day to do it. I've never built a computer before or even upgraded an existing one, so I'm a total newbie to the process.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: I currently own a 4 year old Dell desktop with an Intel E6000 line dual core, (can't remember the exact model number, but it's 3.2 ghz) a Nvidia 8800GTX, and 4 gb of RAM. The graphics card regularly idles at 90 degrees Celsius under no load at all which makes actual gaming is unplayable, so I'm looking to replace the computer. (I'm going for a new computer as I wanted a better cpu and more ram, and it's a Dell computer, so I was unsure as to whether their parts would be incompatible with others.)

Budget: US. $1000 is the top end of what I'm looking to spend right now.

Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, Emulation (PS2/Wii), Video Editing, 3D work, general usage (Word, Web, 1080p playback): Gaming is the main use. 1080p would be preferable but not necessary

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Are you going to upgrade later? 1080p or 720p

List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: I want to be able to run WoW and Diablo 3 maxed if possible. (I know Blizz games don't scale as well at high specs as they do with low, so this is optional) I have the PS3 version of Skyrim, but I'd like to run it on PC much better. Witcher 2 and BF3 are the two games I've held off playing specifically for this upgrade. I also want to be able to run GW2 well when that hits.

Are reusing any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 520HX 520W): If I knew how, I'd love to use the Blu ray player out of my Dell if possible.

When will you build?: When do you want your computer, do you need it in a week, can you wait a month or two? I would like to take advantage of the sales going on today if the parts on sale would be a good match for the budget of rig I'm looking to get. I don't need the computer itself any time soon, though.

Will you be overclocking?: Not planning on it at the moment, but as I become more familiar with computer tuning and building, I could see myself doing it. Easy or good to OC doesn't need to be a high priority for the parts, though

I'm bringing this up today in the hopes that I can take advantage of any deals going around, so are there specific parts I should pick up today? I see that several of you have mentioned the i5 2500k processor deal as a good one. I'm 2 hours away from my apartment for Thanksgiving, but I'll be heading back up to Atlanta later today where there are 2 microcenters. I dunno if there will still be any in stock by the time I get there, though.

I just got back to Atlanta. Any advice before I head out to Microcenter, Fry's, etc.?

Currently considering:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K LGA 1155: $150
Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68: $180
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBSR: $41
GPU: Undecided. Leaning towards the 570. ($350) There don't seem to be any good sales for GPUs right now.
Internal Storage: Intel 320 Series SSDSA2CW160G3K5 2.5" 160GB: $155
Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W: $70
Case: No idea what to go with here. Seem to be quite a few on sale. Not sure what size case I'll need for the build I'm going for here. The HAF 912: $60 looks fine to me though.
Optical Drive: Would prefer to use my old one from the Dell, but I'm not sure if that would work. Otherwise: iHOS104-08: $65
Heatsink: Cooler Master 212: $15
Sound Card: Asus Xonar DG: $15

Total Price: ~1100

A bit overbudget, but if I can get a better deal on a graphics card (or decide to go with a standard hd instead of a ssd) I can bring it down a bit. So what do you think? Should everything here work together? Will this build handle everything I mentioned above?

Shambles

I've played skyrim on a 512mb 4870. How is high settings without AA 'unplayable'? Unless you're running 3 30" monitors this must be a joke post.

·feist·;32743675 said:
Nvidia GTX 560 Ti 448 rumors & salt time: (not that this wouldn't be expected performance)

http://www.pcpop.com/doc/0/733/733036.shtml
XWAnp.png
OLd9t.png
0EzqY.jpg

*click for 1,126px × 672px
Zotac GTX 560 TI 448 poses for the camera
http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/24980-zotac-gtx-560-ti-448-poses-for-the-camera
Asus ENGTX 560 TI 448 pictured
http://www.fudzilla.com/graphics/item/24996-asus-engtx-560-ti-448-pictured
Asus will run at reference 732MHz core and 1464MHz memory, it has 1280MB of 320-bit GDDR5 memory and at this clock the memory speed is 3.8Gbps. Zotac card is factory overclocked, and it runs faster than 732/1464MHz, but we don’t have the exact clock just yet.

It comes with two six pin connectors and draws up to 210W. As we said before it supports three-way SLI. Nvidia’s suggested retail price for reference 560 TI with 448 cores is $289.
It's been rumored for weeks that there will be 2.5GB versions available from around launch. Of course, these are largely for low-cost inventory clearing purposes, with most cards using reference, or custom PCBs from the various AIB's GTX 560 Ti, and GTX 460 cards.

ohnfq.jpg

qQ9n7.jpg

WA7qm.jpg

achapel

I've played skyrim on a 512mb 4870. How is high settings without AA 'unplayable'? Unless you're running 3 30" monitors this must be a joke post.

I did say that Skyrim was better than BF3, and in fact it is playable, but I would like to be able to run the highest or near it with full AA on. There are times when it is unplayable depending on what is going on screen.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I build a 2500k+560 (non-ti) for a friend recently and was surprised at two things:

- CPU idles at around 52C
- MW3 maxed out on 720p runs at around 40-50 fps (although buttery smooth with zero hiccups)

Are both these things normal? I'm used to desktop processors running around 30C on idle when not overclocked.

traveler

Not Wario
Just picked up the i5 2500 at Microcenter. Pretty sure I'll be using it no matter what the rest of my build is, so grabbing it now at 150 seemed like a no brainer.

30 dollars for g-skill sniper series 2x4GB. Do it?

Where are you seeing them going for that at? I'm looking for the same model and the lowest I've found is 41.

Nekrono

What's a good program for uninstalling drivers? I want to completely uninstall my graphics driver.

I keep reading Driver Sweeper but is that the one from Guru3D? If so the download link is broken.

Any suggestions or a working link?

30 dollars for g-skill sniper series 2x4GB. Do it?
Without question.

Where are you seeing them going for that at? I'm looking for the same model and the lowest I've found is 41.
$30 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

What's a good program for uninstalling drivers? I want to completely uninstall my graphics driver.

I keep reading Driver Sweeper but is that the one from Guru3D? If so the download link is broken.

Any suggestions or a working link?
That's because there was a conflict between Guru3D, and the Driver Sweeper dev. a while ago.

http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html

its the Antec 300 and i presume the back is exhaust and top is intake
Both are exhaust. Add at least one 120mm intake to the front of the case.

God help me I just pulled the trigger on my first new gaming PC since 2002 (laptop doesn't really count). It's basically the enthusiast build from the spreadsheet but a MSI 570GTX with free Batman AC instead of a 580 - MSI 580's where out of stock on newegg.

x ($19.99) DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS% - OEM $19.99
1 x ($189.99) PSU CORSAIR| CMPSU-850AX 850W RT $189.99
1 x ($24.99) SOUND CARD XONAR_DG RTL $24.99
1 x ($49.99) GIFT NVIDIA|BATMAN ARKHAM CITY R $49.99
1 x ($119.99) MS WIN 7 PRO SP1 64-BIT 1PK - OEM - OEM $119.99
1 x ($99.99) CASE CORSAIR| CARBIDE 400R RTL $99.99
2 x ($51.99) MEM 4Gx2|CORSAIR CML8GX3M2A1600C9B $103.98
1 x ($319.99) CPU INTEL|CORE I7 2600K 3.4G 8M R $319.99
1 x ($369.99) VGA MSI|N570GTX TWIN FROZR III PE/O $369.99
1 x ($214.99) MB ASUS|P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA1155 R $214.99
1 x ($24.99) CPU COOLER CM| RR-B10-212P-G1 RT$24.99
1 x ($199.99) HD 2T|SAMSUNG HD204UI % - OEM $199.99
1 x ($209.99) SSD 128G|CRUCIAL CT128M4SSD2 R $209.99
1 x ($-49.99) DISCOUNT FOR AUTOADD #39614 $-49.99
1 x ($0.00) Newegg Promotional Gift Card(The total amount of Gift Cards: $20.00)

mkenyon

Banned
Seeing folks plop down $200 for 2TB makes me cringe. Best part of the HDD shortage is that it has pushed me to go into a SSD buying craze. Would like the F4s to get back to $60 so I can add space to my fileserver.

That's a rad build you've got there man. You're going to be in heaven.

Might as well get two at this price :eek:
I'm not big on Antec fans, but those are supposed to be decent.

God help me I just pulled the trigger on my first new gaming PC since 2002 (laptop doesn't really count). It's basically the enthusiast build from the spreadsheet but a MSI 570GTX with free Batman AC instead of a 580 - MSI 580's where out of stock on newegg.

x ($19.99) DVD BRN ASUS | DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS% - OEM $19.99
1 x ($189.99) PSU CORSAIR| CMPSU-850AX 850W RT $189.99
1 x ($24.99) SOUND CARD XONAR_DG RTL $24.99
1 x ($49.99) GIFT NVIDIA|BATMAN ARKHAM CITY R $49.99
1 x ($119.99) MS WIN 7 PRO SP1 64-BIT 1PK - OEM - OEM $119.99
1 x ($99.99) CASE CORSAIR| CARBIDE 400R RTL $99.99
2 x ($51.99) MEM 4Gx2|CORSAIR CML8GX3M2A1600C9B $103.98
1 x ($319.99) CPU INTEL|CORE I7 2600K 3.4G 8M R $319.99
1 x ($369.99) VGA MSI|N570GTX TWIN FROZR III PE/O $369.99
1 x ($214.99) MB ASUS|P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA1155 R $214.99
1 x ($24.99) CPU COOLER CM| RR-B10-212P-G1 RT$24.99
1 x ($199.99) HD 2T|SAMSUNG HD204UI % - OEM $199.99
1 x ($209.99) SSD 128G|CRUCIAL CT128M4SSD2 R $209.99
1 x ($-49.99) DISCOUNT FOR AUTOADD #39614 $-49.99
1 x ($0.00) Newegg Promotional Gift Card(The total amount of Gift Cards: $20.00)
You can save $40 on the ram by switching to 2 sets of this 2x4GB kit: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Same timings, same voltage.

Change your case to either of these:

$49 - COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN2 CM690 II Advanced
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGvBjEmXJnI

$80 - Corsair Carbide Series 500R White
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139010
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0EZYMvNVdk

The separate black 500R deal is over. I've been highly recommending the CM 690 II Adv. for about two years now. Nothing at ~$49 can touch that. The white 500R is a great deal, as well. Better than the 400R you have listed, while being around $20 less.

13016606.jpg

Purchased yesterday. $90 in rebates too. Will throw my 2 gb 6950 and my two hdds in with it. Will be purchasing a ssd soon and a second 6950 next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom