• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkenyon

Banned
My friend's PC seems busted.

Booting up, he gets a black screen with 000 scattered all over the place and nothing else. This is followed by the loading screen to get into Windows, after which it's just black.

Booting into safe mode works, but there are faint blue vertical bars on the screen, not many, just a few clusters of a few bars.

Uninstalling the nVidia drivers in safe mode and rebooting gets back into normal Windows fine, but the faint blue vertical bars are still there.

Is this a faulty video card, driver problem, or something else? I suspect it's the video card because the vertical blue bars are there even when the video drivers are uninstalled. However, my friend doesn't want to commit to buying a replacement card until we get some more opinions on the problem. What do you think?
Try putting your card in his system, see if it changes things.

1322301587.jpeg

Nvidia roadmap made by some Japanese sites based on what they heard from OEMs, so decide for yourself if you want to believe it or not ;)

I assume position relative to current generation cards is based on price not absolute performance ... unless the 580 reigns supreme for about another year on the Nvidia side of things

GK112 is gonna be mine baby :p

also note the GK110 seems to be a dual GK104 design ala GTX590

You would assume the GK104 would be the GTX680. You can tell it all by looking at the bit depth of each of the cards.

GK104 is the 384bit card like the GTX580 is currently. The GK110 is the 384bitx2 like the current 590 so you would assume that would also be the 690.

What makes me tickled giddy and pink with this road map (if it is at all true) is that there is one above the potential 690 with 512bits GDDR5.

Nvidia must have made a startlingly large power jump upon hitting 28nm if they're willing to be putting a 512bit card out there and if it's going to be marked higher than a 2x384 bit card... wholly molly that just makes me wet in the pants.

Think about it like this. Technically the 690 will be 768 bits because it houses 2x384 BUT, realistically it's nothing like that... it's got to communicate seperately, and we all know you don't get 100% gain from having two graphics cards on one board.

But a single 512bit card... oh my... oh my indeed. PCIe3.0 28nm 512bit GDDR5... oh my.

I've been so unhappy with ATI's drivers lately, they were good for a while, but lately they have been the cause of my computers crashing. I think the 6990 + 6970 setup will probably last me through until the time that this card comes out... but at that time, I think I'll be going to two of those monsters if they perform as well as I think they will... I mean, a single GPU card that should be more powerful than two of the 690 spec cards... SHIIIIIT.

It also looks like they're moving everything else down as well.

They are still going to be making a 520 spec card for the el cheap bottom of the barrel, but I bet it is a smoking fast card even for it's price, but then step up from there, and you go straight to the 256 bit 560.

So... next time if we think about the naming conventions of this time it might be like this.

The 520 will be the 620.

The 560 will be the 650.

The 570 will be the 660.

The 580 will be the 670.

The 590 will be the 680.

The new beast of a whatever it is that Nvidia is cooking up will be the 690.

And that is a crazy prospect.

Excuse me just rambling all out there, but that's what happens when I get excited.

So my 8800GT I bought at launch has finally started to crap out on me when playing Skyrim. So it's time for me to look for a new graphics card. I've been out of the loop regarding what's hot shit now. The last card I researched extensively was the 4870 and that was probably several generations old now.

My specs:
CPU: e6750 OC'd @ 3.3 ghz
PSU: Corsair 450VX

I need a card that's quiet (my 8800gt sounded like a lawnmower) and can be handled by my PSU. Looking to spend up to $150.

JVIDICAN

I wouldn't sell it for more than $150.

No, you can't, but it still performs better than OC'd AMD's.

2500K and a good P67/Z68 motherboard are well worth the price of admission. If I had to pinch pennies for an extra month or two, I'd do it.

Goes over my initial budget a little, but how about something like this?

CPU
Intel Core i5-2500 -$199.99
Motherboard
BIOSTAR TZ68A+RCH LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard- $109.99
RAM
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz- $15.99 after $10 rebate
Video Card
Radeon HD 6870 1GB- $149.99 after $20 rebate
or
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 OC Dual fans-$129.99 after $20 coupon and $20 rebate
Power Supply
Antec BP550 Plus 550W -$69.99
Case
Fractal Design Core 3000 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ 3 Fans -$64.99
Cooling
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus -$25.99
------------
Total -$636.93 or $616.93

Hoplatee

Well, to give you an idea of where your card stacks up, in DX10 titles with crossfire profiles, you are about equal with a 6950. A 6850 would be a downgrade. Have you considered putting on an aftermarket cooler? Would be cheaper than a holdover part.

Thanks for the tip. I could indeed just give that a try if a card like that would be a downgrade for now. I will have to look into it a bit though cause there isn't all that much room left in my case and I am not completely sure how that stuff will work with GPU's.

I had no idea the 4870x2 was still that decent nowadays. So also thanks for that. :)

Also totally cleaned up my pc from dust inside and it always amazes me how much dust gathers in there if you don't clean it that much. I should make it a habit to do it every 3 months or so instead of every 6 months.

mkenyon

Banned
Goes over my initial budget a little, but how about something like this?

CPU
Intel Core i5-2500 -$199.99
Motherboard
BIOSTAR TZ68A+RCH LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard- $109.99
RAM
Kingston 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz- $15.99 after $10 rebate
Video Card
Radeon HD 6870 1GB- $149.99 after $20 rebate
or
Gigabyte Radeon HD 6850 OC Dual fans-$129.99 after $20 coupon and $20 rebate
Power Supply
Antec BP550 Plus 550W -$69.99
Case
Fractal Design Core 3000 ATX Mid Tower Computer Case w/ 3 Fans -$64.99
Cooling
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus -$25.99
------------
Total -$636.93 or $616.93
Grab a 2500K instead of the 2500. I think it's still $200 on newegg through the BF deals. You will overclock. If you need to drop the price a bit, the 6850 isn't a huge step down from the 6870.

If you are the type of guy that takes MIR's seriously, check out this.

JVIDICAN

Grab a 2500K instead of the 2500. I think it's still $200 on newegg through the BF deals. You will overclock. If you need to drop the price a bit, the 6850 isn't a huge step down from the 6870.

looks like it's sold out on newegg. Bleh. I'll check some other places. Aside from that how does it look?

EDIT: I might just go with ebay for the i5.
$214.99, new, free shipping, and a top rated seller. :p

mkenyon

Banned
Any chance you are near a microcenter? They're $150 there right now.

Also, this 6870 is 139.99 after MIR, 159.99 before.

I'm always hesitant to consider those real prices. Maybe it's just that I'm crappy at sending them in.

JVIDICAN

Any chance you are near a microcenter? They're $150 there right now.

yeah, 49 minute drive according to google maps.
on the products page there's this though. "Availability: out of stock at: In store only"
It's confusing me. Is it in stock in store? :3

The 6870 you listed would end up being around the same price as the one I listed with shipping costs added. I might just stick with newegg for that.

yeah, 49 minute drive according to google maps.
on the products page there's this though. "Availability: out of stock at: In store only"
It's confusing me. Is it in stock in store? :3

Call them up and ask. It's worth the drive. You can also snag a mobo there for $60 off. I paid $190 + tax for my 2500k + Asus Z68 motherboard.

I am looking for a good Mobo and while I have checked out the OP I was wondering if you could help narrow it down. These are/will be my specs:

i5 2500k
8 gigs of DDR3 1600mhz ram
750w Corsair
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 case
GTX 560-590 (not sure which one yet)

I was hoping to be able to get a good mobo SLI option for $100-120

Also, any idea if the GTX 570 or 580 will be going down in price anytime soon?

mkenyon

Banned
I hate all of you near microcenter. Seriously.
I am looking for a good Mobo and while I have checked out the OP I was wondering if you could help narrow it down. These are/will be my specs:

i5 2500k
8 gigs of DDR3 1600mhz ram
750w Corsair
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K62 case
GTX 560-590 (not sure which one yet)

I was hoping to be able to get a good mobo SLI option for $100-120

Also, any idea if the GTX 570 or 580 will be going down in price anytime soon?
While I am a serious Lian Li fanboy, I don't think that case is a good option for a SLI rig. You will greatly benefit from a side panel fan.

Any of the x8/x8 SLI mobos will do you fine. The Gene-Z is a personal favorite of mine, but I can understand wanting an extra space between the two cards.

The 5xx probably won't be coming down in price much in the next few months, but a page back Feist had a post on a new 560Ti coming out that will have near 570 performance for around $220 or so. Definitely going to be the card to get.

Question: So I currently have an Corsair 750w maximum PSU and a buddy of mine recommended to go to a different PSU that is continuous 600-750w instead of peak. What do you folks think?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Cost isn't the sole factor in determining whether or not a proc is suited well for a job. If emulation runs like butter on an i3, you've got a point. Anyone run across benches for emulation? If not, I might just pick up an i3 and do it, would be great info for the OP.
It's really hard to get any emulation benchmarks.

From what I have gathered it is adequate.

I'll be your bloodsbrother and join you in the potential 2013 purchase of a gtx 690 or w/e it's going to be :D

Actually I think I'm going to buy two of them :D

Whatever it is... whichever it is, the top card from Nvidia or AMD next time around, whichever is the fastest, I'm going to be buying two of them.

Starting to save for it now.

Any recommendations for RAM for an ASRock Z68 Extreme3? I'm thinking 8 GB.
Did you check the OP?

So my 8800GT I bought at launch has finally started to crap out on me when playing Skyrim. So it's time for me to look for a new graphics card. I've been out of the loop regarding what's hot shit now. The last card I researched extensively was the 4870 and that was probably several generations old now.

My specs:
CPU: e6750 OC'd @ 3.3 ghz
PSU: Corsair 450VX

I need a card that's quiet (my 8800gt sounded like a lawnmower) and can be handled by my PSU. Looking to spend up to $150.
Nvidia GTX 460 1GB (non-SE), AMD 6850, or 6870 if you shop around.

Is the Micro Center sale still going on tomorrow? I don't think i'm going to be able to make it tonight.
MC's Black Friday ad ends tomorrow: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/17afca68#/17afca68/1 It overlaps their normal ~2-week ad deals.

The main issue is whether or not your local store still has them in stock or not, at this point. If not, or if pricing goes back to their daily deal, it's still only $180, which is ~$35 less than most retailers sell it for.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Actually I think I'm going to buy two of them :D

Whatever it is... whichever it is, the top card from Nvidia or AMD next time around, whichever is the fastest, I'm going to be buying two of them.

Starting to save for it now.

You know what, you're crazy. I'll reign it back a bit and stick with "only" whatever the equivalent of SLI 570s will be. The premium for absolute top of the line gpus is never justifiable for me.

You know what, you're crazy. I'll reign it back a bit and stick with "only" whatever the equivalent of SLI 570s will be. The premium for absolute top of the line gpus is never justifiable for me.

I am... I've got from 5990 to 6990 + 6970 and next to probably a dual 690 setup (or whatever it is).

I'm hoping that it will be powerful enough to out power the next gen consoles by a mile for at least a few years and I won't have to upgrade again for a fair while.

Jeez... even my current rig should last me through all of next year I hope.

Part of my problem is that I game at 2560x1440. Need a lot of grunt for it, it's kind of a pain in the arse :/

JVIDICAN

·feist·;32984214 said:
MC's Black Friday ad ends tomorrow: http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/17afca68#/17afca68/1 It overlaps their normal ~2-week ad deals.

The main issue is whether or not your local store still has them in stock or not, at this point. If not, or if pricing goes back to their daily deal, it's still only $180, which is ~$35 less than most retailers sell it for.

Thanks! :) They still have more than 10 in stock, but it looks like the $150 was just for Friday. At $170 though it's still around $70 cheaper than most places.

So I bought rage and installed it. Started playing and when I turn it draws all the textures and then i turn back it and it draws all the textures in my screen. I mean it takes 1 second but it is really annoying. Now I am guessing it is my video card 5770 I am on lowest settings but 1900x1200. It seems to run suprisingly smooth just starts with blocks of color and draws the textures from that. What is the best videocard I can get as an upgrade for lets say 200ish. 560ti? They literally come out with new videocards every few months and they are named retardedly so that sometimes things like 48xx are better than some 65xx. Is it that hard to make a rising naming scheme so that the higher the number the better the card? /uneducated rant

http://www.ncix.ca/products/index.php?sku=58366&vpn=GV-N560OC-1GI&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1115

Renmei

Banned
Computer build question! I'm probably going to buy from a custom builder like Avadirect and understand I'll be paying a $200+ markup so please don't try to convince me to build myself. I have my reasons.

Basic Desktop Questions:

Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU: Samsung laptop/i5 2.27 GHz/geforce 310M

Budget: $900ish USD so I'm looking for the best bang for the buck at this price range

Main Use: MMOs , other basic computer use. I wouldn't mind if it could play modern games at med/high settings.

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: MMOs like SWTOR and GW2 at med/high settings

Are reusing any parts?: Just the monitor and keyboard/mouse. So nothing

When will you build?: ASAP

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes) erm.. sure

noire

Unconfirmed Member
noire said:
Looks like my motherboard only supports crossfire, not sli. Is that a compelling reason to stick with ati?

Only getting one card for now, but in terms of planning for the future.

Anyone?

grkazan12

Hey guys I'm using a PC with an Asus P8P67 Pro mobo and everything is running well except for the internal Bluetooth adapter. It seems to light up when searching for devices, but it can't discover anything no matter what.

I heard having motionjoy installed screws up windows Bluetooth stacking, but I have uninstalled and deleted the drivers from motionjoy in device manager and I have uninstalled the program itself. I retrieved the latest drivers from Asus' website and Bluetooth is enabled in services and in the bios.

I ordered a cheap Bluetooth dongle from amazon to see if that could fix it, but it hasn't arrived yet. Desperate for any advice b/c it's pissing me off so much, so annoying.

mkenyon

Banned
It's really hard to get any emulation benchmarks.

From what I have gathered it is adequate.

challenge.gif

I am... I've got from 5990 to 6990 + 6970 and next to probably a dual 690 setup (or whatever it is).

I'm hoping that it will be powerful enough to out power the next gen consoles by a mile for at least a few years and I won't have to upgrade again for a fair while.

Jeez... even my current rig should last me through all of next year I hope.

Part of my problem is that I game at 2560x1440. Need a lot of grunt for it, it's kind of a pain in the arse :/
I feel your pain about AMD. After a stint with x-fire 4870s and 5870s, I've sworn off AMD for dual GPU setups. At least until they start working closer with devs and get on top of drivers.

However, I find the statement "I won't have to upgrade again for a fair while" from the guy planning on upgrading tri-6970s to dual next gen Nvidia cards hilarious. Just admit it man, you are a tech junkie. The sooner you embrace it, the sooner you can saturate yourself in test benches, water cooling, multiple rigs, uni-sleeved cables, dual PSU rigs, and a room full of tools to do all of that. Welcome to the dark side, young Colonial Raptor. *evil cackle*

·feist·;32984214 said:
Did you check the OP?

Yep! Decided on the G. Skill.

I was thinking about it and if I got a 2500k, could I keep using my 5670 for a while or would that bottleneck my computer too much? I don't think I could afford to get a new GPU right away, and I'd rather do a CPU upgrade first.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So I bought rage and installed it. Started playing and when I turn it draws all the textures and then i turn back it and it draws all the textures in my screen. I mean it takes 1 second but it is really annoying. Now I am guessing it is my video card 5770 I am on lowest settings but 1900x1200. It seems to run suprisingly smooth just starts with blocks of color and draws the textures from that. What is the best videocard I can get as an upgrade for lets say 200ish. 560ti? They literally come out with new videocards every few months and they are named retardedly so that sometimes things like 48xx are better than some 65xx. Is it that hard to make a rising naming scheme so that the higher the number the better the card? /uneducated rant

http://www.ncix.ca/products/index.php?sku=58366&vpn=GV-N560OC-1GI&manufacture=Gigabyte&promoid=1115
560ti or 6950 yes.

Computer build question! I'm probably going to buy from a custom builder like Avadirect and understand I'll be paying a $200+ markup so please don't try to convince me to build myself. I have my reasons.

Basic Desktop Questions:

Your Current Specs: CPU / RAM (DDR2/DDR3) / Motherboard / GPU: Samsung laptop/i5 2.27 GHz/geforce 310M

Budget: $900ish USD so I'm looking for the best bang for the buck at this price range

Main Use: MMOs , other basic computer use. I wouldn't mind if it could play modern games at med/high settings.
Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: MMOs like SWTOR and GW2 at med/high settings
Are reusing any parts?: Just the monitor and keyboard/mouse. So nothing
When will you build?: ASAP
Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes) erm.. sure
Bit of markup. Might want a different case if you care. Add whatever OS you want. There isn't much to cut here for bang for buck. Still a very decent rig, maybe 1/2 yr warranty is less $?
DwTgE.png

My sis has a Dell Dimension XPS 630i with a dual NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT setup, and one of the cards has gone kablooey. It no longer loads 1920x1080 correctly and shows weird garbled character with alot of exclamation marks on the screen, but loads fine in Safe Mode/lower resolutions.

I'm wondering what video card would be the best to buy? She's a self-professed "graphics whore" and plays a shitton of PC games so I figure it's a great opportunity to give her a graphics upgrade. However, it's not like she's playing Skyrim on PC here. She'll play games like Guild Wars and occasionally Dragon Age: Origins, but most of her games are of the BigFish variety. In fact, the NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT ran GW and DA:O almost flawlessly, so I'm thinking she could use a slightly higher-level nVidia card. Pricing and time (She'd like to be up and running within a week or so) is a factor.

Since it's not my computer and I just opened it up for the first time yesterday I'm not too familiar with the specs (still checking it out online). The mobo is a PWA Druid Motherboard A00 4 layer, If it helps here's the wiki for it:
Now no longer available from Dell as a new system purchase, but is in factory outlet. This desktop at one time filled the gap between the media-oriented XPS 420/430 and the high-end XPS 730x. There is no physical difference(s) between the 630 and the 630i. The marketing concept was to use an "i" to designate systems installed with an Intel chipset, and an "a" for systems with AMD-installed chipsets, but since Intel-based chipsets were the only models ever sold, this designation holds little significance. The 630 features a Dell-modified NVIDIA nForce 650i chipset that supports both SLI and CrossFire configurations, but lacks ESA certification (the only ESA-certified component in the 630i is Dell's "Master Input/Output" (or "MIO") printed circuit board).[5] The XPS 630 at one time came standard with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU and dual NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT graphics cards.

Problems and solutions
There were several issues with the XPS 630 including problems with the chassis fan control, chassis LED lights, and non-shipment of the LightFX 2.0 lightshow control software. Limited PCIe slot configuration (8,8,1,1 unlike OEM Nvidia 650i SLI motherboards which also offer the 16,1,1,1 configuration), constant HDD LED activity, and a reliability issue due to a problem inherent in the Nvidia 650i SLI chipset that can surface when overclocking with 4 or more gigabytes of RAM. The problems resulted in PC PRO revoking their Recommended award for the system.

The July 22, 2009 release of a Softex Media Plug-in has provided some of the features originally advertised in LightFX. BIOS updates were issued to patch the constant HDD LED activity. Some 630i owners have bypassed the aforementioned problems by swapping out the Dell-modified 650i motherboard with OEM motherboards such as the EVGA nForce 780i SLI FTW. The motherboard has 8 lanes wired for each PCIe slot, which can restrict performance if using a single high-performance graphics card. Performance is equivalent to other systems with 650i chipset motherboards when using two graphics cards in SLI mode.
Any advice?

EDIT: God, this mobo seems shady as shit.
Advice given so far:
You could get a GTX 560/570 and use the remaining 8800 as a dedicated PhysX card.
Cheapest card I saw is about $230, she may not want to pay quite that much. Anything else?

Can anybody help me?
My new PC from dinopc arrived yesterday, after some trouble finally got it working last night, but waking up this morning and trying to turn it on - it won't. The blue light in the case flashes on, and the fans start up, for like 2 seconds, and then the whole thing turns off, and then it'll flash/fan on again, and then turn off - in a repeating cycle, nothing else is happening at al

What's wrong with it? I tried using a different plug/socket and removed all the other stuff in the back incase there was some USB device tripping it, but nothing helps.

Pretty annoyed

Nevermind, i think i sorted it, seems like it was the CMOS causing it to trip out, when I got it booted it said the problem was due to different overclocking or a change in the voltage, I've not messed with any of the OC stuff at all, so i'm presuming it it was due to the voltage, anyone know what could have caused that?

RC

Banned
So after 6 years I think my PC finally bit the dust. It turns on for about 2 seconds and then powers down. Tried putting a new power supply in it, but that didn't change anything.
Which probably means my motherboard is fried. Sigh.

I was thinking of getting a laptop this time around. Been out of the loop for years, so I'm kinda unsure where to start. I'm looking for something with enough power to stream HD videos and convert them on the fly to my PS3. Was also interested in getting into PS2 emulation. (The PCSX2 thread spoiled me, can't go back to playing my PS2 collection on an old ass TV anymore) Looking to spend about $1500 Canadian, taxes in.

Edit: Just found the laptop thread, now I feel like an idiot. Wish I could delete this post somehow.

Glix

Hey guys. I'm in the computer ghetto, I live on hand me downs and stuff.

Here is my current setup

CPU TYPE:
Intel® Core™2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
CPU SPEED:
2.15 GHz
SYSTEM MEMORY:
3.25 GB
VIDEO CARD MODEL:
Radeon X1800 GTO

My x1800 keeps melting or something, so I was able to get a buddy to give me a BFG Tech Geoforce 7950 GT OC

I'm just happy that I'm getting a card that hopefully will not overheat, but will I see any performance increase with the different card. With all the different flavors of cards out there, it was hard to tell, but I think my new card has double the onboard RAM as the old card, otherwise they are pretty much from the same gen. Also, my new one has all 16 vertex shaders or whatever turned on, while the old one only had 12?

Please educate me PC-GAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom