• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petrie

Banned
Are there any good mobo/CPU combos out right now? Preferably looking for the i5, but a good deal on an i3 or something could sway me as it'd still be a huge upgrade. No local microcenter is killing me and Newegg doesn't seem to be helping yet.

Merovin

Can anyone throw me some advice? I've started doing some recording lately, using Dxtory, however I'm assuming I need a hard drive with a faster read/write speed. Once the drive starts filling, my current drive struggles to keep up with the speed, causing the video frames to drop - is there any way to remedy this short of getting some extreme SSD?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/2011cyMd1128/index.html
Can anyone throw me some advice? I've started doing some recording lately, using Dxtory, however I'm assuming I need a hard drive with a faster read/write speed. Once the drive starts filling, my current drive struggles to keep up with the speed, causing the video frames to drop - is there any way to remedy this short of getting some extreme SSD?
One drive for OS/Programs
One drive to write data

At least that is my understanding.

Aselith

Any of those cases good? Like which ones have good cooling and sound dampening?

I bought a NZXT Phantom case for a friend and it was very good. Fans were very quite and the case has a bunch of noise dampening stuff in it that makes everything a lot quieter. I'd recommend that one.

cdyhybrid

pKlA1.png

Had to pull the trigger on these. The other parts I can get from Amazon with my friend's discount. $70 off the HDD was too good to pass up.

Edit: Another newbie question (again, aiming for the Standard build). Was snooping around for RAM since the recommended one is sold out, and came across this. It's 1333Mhz and 1.5V, so it should work fine, right? I decided to go with this over the 1600Mhz version in the Enhanced build since it's $10 less.

LordCanti

how does that work?

You pay $20, they give you $20.

So a $40 item becomes $20, a $60 item becomes $40, etc.

It's basically only a really good deal on something that is very near $40. The percentage off that you are getting goes down as the price goes up.

Hey can anyone tell me how to stop spam from my email?

Pick a really obscure (mixture of numbers, letters, etc) e-mail address, and then don't use it for anything. Gmail is pretty good at filtering spam, and it's free (although I still check the spam box, because legitimate stuff does get through from time to time)

C.Dark.DN

Banned
pKlA1.png

Had to pull the trigger on these. The other parts I can get from Amazon with my friend's discount. $70 off the HDD was too good to pass up.

Edit: Another newbie question (again, aiming for the Standard build). Was snooping around for RAM since the recommended one is sold out, and came across this. It's 1333Mhz and 1.5V, so it should work fine, right? I decided to go with this over the 1600Mhz version in the Enhanced build since it's $10 less.
Shit. I just bought a 35$ 80 GB non refundable hard drive and they drop the F3 to 79$ from 149$ in 24 hours ><

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Stupid question, but isn't the 1155 socket pretty much EOL?

Ivy Bridge is using it, and unless Intel changes their plans current boards will work fine with those, aside from missing out on some new built in features (PCIe 3.0 support, native USB3 support).

How is this tower that's on sale at Newegg? Let me know what you think.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227368

Basically all I want to play are Blizzard and Valve games.

Medium-low settings maybe. The "$412" build in the OP would be a significantly better value, even adding the price of Windows on top of it.

Also, Spinpoint F3 is down to $80 today. This drive is also $70, but it's not as good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145532

Feep

Banned
So, I'm interested in a new build sometime between now and February. If 1 is a shitty netbook and 10 is the god of all home computing, I'm gunning for an 8.

Nothing on NewEgg right now strikes me as a great MoBo/CPU combo, but there are some cheap(ish?) SSDs. Do you guys recommend I snap one up now? The OCZ Vertex 3 looks pretty good, and it's $130 off.

FoolsRun

Do you guys recommend I snap one up now? The OCZ Vertex 3 looks pretty good, and it's $130 off.

Having researched SSD's quite a bit, my general recommendation (which seems to coincide with Hazaro's) is to buy a slower Intel for reliability, or a Crucial m4 for speed (which
is essentially the same hardware as Intel's 320, so reliability should be similar). If you want to live life on the edge and are willing to buy a Sanforce controller, go for a Corsair Force GT. Both NewEgg and Buy.com have Intel 320's dirt cheap after rebates; if I were buying an SSD right now, I'd get one of the Intels.

OCZ's are not known for their reliability.

demigod

Damnit, I didn't know that you had to buy the Google coupon and there was a limit. Just got home and tried to buy it with 3,000 left and it tells me sold out. I read that it's a gift card so people bought a ton to stack them.

Petrie

Banned
Damnit, I didn't know that you had to buy the Google coupon and there was a limit. Just got home and tried to buy it with 3,000 left and it tells me sold out. I read that it's a gift card so people bought a ton to stack them.

Yeah, it wasn't supposed to stack but it does apparently. We knew this would happen, always does.

Petrie

Banned
EDIT: Nevermind, sold out cause of greedy souls

Can't say I really blame them, Newegg didn't code the deal properly, and they were able to get something like the cards you posted for $80.

*edit*

Looking at these 2 mobos, any important differences for the non-enthusiast (i.e. I overclock and such, but not hardcore, and certainly don't spend a ton of time tweaking my system)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-280-_-N82E16813130616&nm_mc=CM2011_listing

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-280-_-N82E16813130598&nm_mc=CM2011_listing

Thoughts?

Hixx

So I'm building my new PC tomorrow (560 ti + 2500k, standard fare), and I'm wondering if its worth chucking my old 9600gt in as a PhysX card? I've heard you can put 'lesser' cards in to do that, would it be worth it? Bare in mind the second pci-e 2 slot will run at 4x with it in.

Any Cyber Monday deals online for Windows 7 today other than the one on Newegg? Their $79.99 deal is the best I've seen but it's for the Home Premium version, and I understand that version doesn't have XP mode support.

Do you guys usually buy OEM versions of Windows or retail? I'm still kind of confused. If I had OEM Windows on a computer, the motherboard dies, and I buy a new motherboard, am I out $100 and have to re-buy Windows 7?

mkenyon

Banned
So I'm building my new PC tomorrow (560 ti + 2500k, standard fare), and I'm wondering if its worth chucking my old 9600gt in as a PhysX card? I've heard you can put 'lesser' cards in to do that, would it be worth it? Bare in mind the second pci-e 2 slot will run at 4x with it in.
Nope.
Just bought the i5 for 195 on Newegg, what's a good budget mobo to go with it? thinking between 80 - 100.
Check the OP, find one you like in your price range. Though, grabbing a budget mobo means no overclocking.
Stupid question, but isn't the 1155 socket pretty much EOL?
Nope, Ivy Bridge will be on the same socket (supposedly). Even if it were end of line, wouldn't really matter too much. They're already more powerful to really be any sort of bottleneck.
Any of those cases good? Like which ones have good cooling and sound dampening?
The Phantom is good for what you're looking for. I don't like the aesthetics of it at all though. Storm Scout is an amazing little case, as long as your vid cards are 11.5" or shorter. The 600T is the best of the bunch. Very nice case, though a bit large for what I like. Still have my 600T SE though.
Do you guys usually buy OEM versions of Windows or retail? I'm still kind of confused. If I had OEM Windows on a computer, the motherboard dies, and I buy a new motherboard, am I out $100 and have to re-buy Windows 7?
I always buy OEM. Retail I think might be transferable to different rigs, OEM is not.

Fair enough.

I'm choosing between a few 6870s:
Sapphire 100314 for 140 on superbiiz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948
Powercolor 6870 for 140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131378

Hoping for something that isn't too loud but not sure if that's a realistic expectation at that price.

EDIT: Nevermind, sold out cause of greedy souls
That sapphire is whisper silent. Had one on a ITX test bench and I swear I never heard it. They're also essentially AMD's 1st party GPU manufacturer, great customer support as well. Think of them as the EVGA of AMD.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Any Cyber Monday deals online for Windows 7 today other than the one on Newegg? Their $79.99 deal is the best I've seen but it's for the Home Premium version, and I understand that version doesn't have XP mode support.

Shouldn't really need XP mode, you still have compatibility settings that will work for the vast majority of programs.

Hey GAF, looking for some advice for a friend and seeing as you guys sorted me out earlier in the year I thought I would turn to you guys for help once again. I think the budget might be pushing it but maybe some magic can be worked, no monitor or other accessories are required.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Not sure of specs but it's a 3year old Laptop.
Budget: £300 tops
Main Use: Swtor and general web browsing
Monitor Resolution: Will be hooking it up to a 1080p TV
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Swtor and WoW
Are reusing any parts?: None
When will you build?: Sometime within the next 2 months.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not

mkenyon

Banned
Hey GAF, looking for some advice for a friend and seeing as you guys sorted me out earlier in the year I thought I would turn to you guys for help once again. I think the budget might be pushing it but maybe some magic can be worked, no monitor or other accessories are required.

Basic Desktop Questions:
Your Current Specs: Not sure of specs but it's a 3year old Laptop.
Budget: £300 tops
Main Use: Swtor and general web browsing
Monitor Resolution: Will be hooking it up to a 1080p TV
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Swtor and WoW
Are reusing any parts?: None
When will you build?: Sometime within the next 2 months.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably not
Not sure how prices change over there, but the budget or standard build will be your best bet.

*edit* I should also state I have no idea what the sys requirements are for TOR, or how it runs on what hardware. I'd imagine it won't be too taxing, and should do okay on a 460/6850.

I saw that Newegg has the same 8GB RipJawX ram that I bought 3 months ago for my new rig for $30. Is it even worth it to upgrade to 16GB?

My i5-2500K is overclocked to 4.5GHZ and my buddy told me that adding more RAM can tax the memory controller since I am overclocked. Should I be worried about something breaking if I add more memory?

mkenyon

Banned
I saw that Newegg has the same 8GB RipJawX ram that I bought 3 months ago for my new rig for $30. Is it even worth it to upgrade to 16GB?

My i5-2500K is overclocked to 4.5GHZ and my buddy told me that adding more RAM can tax the memory controller since I am overclocked. Should I be worried about something breaking if I add more memory?
No point unless you're using up your 8GB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom