• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

gokieks

If that is true, than every PC building site is dishonest because 90% of users need wireless and don't use only Ethernet. It's a goddamn scam. So why do I have Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller under Network Adapters; is that really LAN-only? Why would anyone build a computer without wireless?

Or, you know, the person who's buying components to build a computer himself can be expected to actually do a little research like reading the specs on the motherboard they're buying, which lists EVERYTHING that the motherboard supports. Contrary to what you may believe, not everyone needs or wants built-in WiFi on their motherboard - a wired ethernet network is vastly preferable in many situations.

Yesss, why would you ask? Duh, it has an adapter by Dell.
Well until you get a wireless adapter, you can link the laptop up to your desktop with an ethernet cable, and actually share your laptops internet connection with your desktop. If you are interested in trying this for now, let me know I can pm instructions on how to set it up

Statistics...

The thing is though, isn't any full tower better at air cooling than the Arc Midi?
Not exactly. There are plenty of smaller enclosures that outperform larger ones. Size alone isn't indicative of stock cooling capability. Full towers mainly have the edge if you have a number of components to install, like an extensive, fully internal water loop.

I'd almost like something fully aluminum.

...I might need to wait for Lian-Li to step up their designs.
IIRC, you had some of the same issues with the PC-V1020 that I did (like the naked interior on an over $200 case, even though the red version has a black interior). With some work it could've been a good choice on your list of options. Maybe an "X" version with mild revisions.

I certainly wouldn't call the Arc Midi the end-all be-all of mid towers. It's simply another option, with the CM 690 II Advanced, HAF 922, and Corsair 400R/500$ being solid contenders as well at the $100 pricepoint.
Yup, long time believer in those as the best overall ~$100 enclosures. Bold: Didn't go that far. By "one of the best/most flexible" I'm looking at what you have in stock form, what changes you can make, while still using the stock fans, and what cooling options are available without needing to mod the case. All you need to do is place the top 140mm exhaust fan into the front as an intake, front top as an intake, or into the bottom as an intake. It offers a wide array of 120mm, 140mm, 180mm, and 200mm mixes of intake and exhaust. The stock setup isn't optimal, but a lot of cases do that. At least you can place the top 140mm exhaust as an intake, improving performance, without need to make any additional purchases. A lot of other mids still don't allow for that.

In Soi-Fong's case, it would be one of the better options for him/her, as he has an H100, necessitating the removal of the fan anyway, which can then be put to better use as an intake. The noise levels are what they are. It does come with a fan controller, that's at least adequate. As an H100 owner, that cooler's going to be louder than anything else in his build, unless he turns it down, or runs an incredibly loud GPU. Also, it's currently $85 on sale.

Quick question.

If I buy these parts, and already have a PSU, Case, HDD, BD Player, Graphics Card, and just want to update my Motherboard, Ram and CPU do I need to buy anything else? Or will I be set?

Current PSU: OCZ (OCZ500SXS) StealthXStream 500W ATX12V 20/24PIN Active PFC ATX Power Supply 120MM

Looking to buy the following:

ASUS P8H67-M LE REV3.0 mATX LGA1155 PCI-E16 PCI-E4 2PCI DVI HDMI VGA Sandy Bridge B3 Motherboard

Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600 XMP Dual Channel Memory Kit

Intel Core i7 960 Quad Core Processor LGA1366 3.2GHZ Bloomfield 8MB LGA1366 4.8GT/S Retail Box

Lastly, I7 950 vs 960, the 960 should be better right?
Why would you be buying either of those CPUs? They're LGA 1366, and you have an LGA 1155 motherboard listed. Try the OP for suggestions. An LGA equivalent to those options would be the 2500K/2600K/2700K. Bear in mind, you wouldn't normally combine such a low end board with such a high end CPU.

So now I've done a fresh OS install on my new SSD. How do I get my settings (wallpapers, programs on my start menu, ect.) back? If I do a system recovery, will it use up my SSD space?

What I envisioned when I got this SSD was putting my OS and a game or two on it, the rest on the HDD. But I want it to be seemless. I want to be able to have easy access to everything. As it is right now, if I want to get to something that is on my HDD I have to go to Computer>Local Disk (G:)>Program Files>Folder, etc. Basically, I want my desktop back. Is this even possible? Do I need to make some new shortcuts or something?

I am actively Googling these questions, but I thought I'd ask here as well. I value the advice from you guys more than some random message board thread from 2009 that Google may give me. This thread has been great to me so far.
Why not go the clone route? Any alignment issues can be taken care of through software. Apart from that, you could've simply done a backup and transfer prior to the new install. Also, you can just grab user files. Look at the second reply here for more SSD setup info.

TheExodu5

Banned
·feist·;33118629 said:
IIRC, you had some of the same issues with the PC-V1020 that I did (like the naked interior on an over $200 case, even though the red version has a black interior). With some work it could've been a good choice on your list of options. Maybe an "X" version with mild revisions.

Yup.

And well, to be honest, I think the Fractal Midi is a better looking design overall. The brushed aluminum is certainly more flattering than a grill.

I really liked the Silverstone FT01 as well. I really wish they would update their design on that case.

So I just got my new computer up and running (posting on GAF for the first time with it) and I have a 64GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. I want to change my SSD to the slave and HDD to the primary so my SSD doesnt get bloated with garbage. How would I go about doing this?

Close to giving up hope on EVO versions of the FT01, FT02, and TJ07 (I mostly want the FTs, especially the 01). They're very nearly perfect at what each is intended for, they just need some touch up work. SilverStone did update the TJ08 recently, and RV02 a while ago, so who knows.

So I just got my new computer up and running (posting on GAF for the first time with it) and I have a 64GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. I want to change my SSD to the slave and HDD to the primary so my SSD doesnt get bloated with garbage. How would I go about doing this?
Most people use their SSDs as primaries, with symbolic links, and other tweaks. Again, check out the second reply here for more SSD setup info.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
If I get a new SSD? How do I make a clone of it to be my primary drive? Looking to upgrade from a 60gb one to a 120gb one.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
In addition to the SSD setup guide, if you are talking about IDE/PATA Slave/Master you don't need to do that on SATA.
If I get a new SSD? How do I make a clone of it to be my primary drive? Looking to upgrade from a 60gb one to a 120gb one.
Some SSDs come with transfer kits, I don't know if these kits are cloning software or not.

Something like Acronis True Image has a CD utility that I use to clone disks and it works very well. Most people say cloning to an SSD is not the best idea and it can impact performance, but I haven't read up on this in months.

Sarcasm

If that is true, than every PC building site is dishonest because 90% of users need wireless and don't use only Ethernet. It's a goddamn scam. So why do I have Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller under Network Adapters; is that really LAN-only? Why would anyone build a computer without wireless?

Dishonest about what? I haven't seen a mobo state they have built in wireless if they don't.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
In addition to the SSD setup guide, if you are talking about IDE/PATA Slave/Master you don't need to do that on SATA.

Some SSDs come with transfer kits, I don't know if these kits are cloning software or not.

Something like Acronis True Image has a CD utility that I use to clone disks and it works very well. Most people say cloning to an SSD is not the best idea and it can impact performance, but I haven't read up on this in months.

That doesn't sound too good. If anything, I hate reinstalling stuff again. But a bigger primary drive is a must for what I'm doing. I'll need help setting it up.

scogoth

That doesn't sound too good. If anything, I hate reinstalling stuff again. But a bigger primary drive is a must for what I'm doing. I'll need help setting it up.

You can clone with Acronis true image it supports SSDs and does the proper bit alignment. I've done it multiple times and still get full performance.

So after i got my hardware-level cleaning of my rig comeplete... I finished up the software cleaning with a fresh OEM build of Windows 7 Home Premium x64 Except there's this one problem:

Notice the RAM installed is 4GB but is set to usable 3GB. Why is that, it wasn't this way with my old W7 Ultimate install...; anyway to fix this?

wtfisthisshit55drh.png

knitoe

So after my complete computer cleaning from last week, I finally got down to re-installing windows and bringing the OS up to its fully working position with flash and all stuff installed that I would normally use, in order to make a backup image for later use in case of emergency.

Then I saw the RAM was somehow capped from 4GB to 3GB on my 64-bit W7 Home Premium OEM Copy.... any explanations or ways to fix this shit?

Are you using the onboard MB video? If so, it reserves/uses some of your ram.

JVIDICAN

Any good cable connecting walkthroughs out there? lol. I'm not sure if i'm supposed to be pluging this 4+4-pin Atx12v/EPS12v cord from the Antec BP550+ PSU into the Atxpwr2 on the motherboard. I don't want to fry anything. :/

Excellent.

Come back to the winning team.
overclocked my 2600k to 5.0ghz with speedstep enabled.
prime95'd for about 12hours and temps never passed 78c.
im also rocking 65-75fps on bf3.

how does it feel for me to 1up you in something?
smug.gif

ps- sell me your case buddy o' pal.

RS4-

·feist·;33119335 said:
Close to giving up hope on EVO versions of the FT01, FT02, and TJ07 (I mostly want the FTs, especially the 01). They're very nearly perfect at what each is intended for, they just need some touch up work. SilverStone did update the TJ08 recently, and RV02 a while ago, so who knows.

If I could get a case right now, I'd want the TJ07 :(

Smokey

overclocked my 2600k to 5.0ghz with speedstep enabled.
prime95'd for about 12hours and temps never passed 78c.
im also rocking 65-75fps on bf3.

how does it feel for me to 1up you in something?
smug.gif

ps- sell me your case buddy o' pal.

You only get 75fps max in BF3? LOL you pleb

Soi-Fong

Anybody here actually know if there's a case that is good at sound dampening, but can also fit the H100 and long videocards? I guess max budget would be 200 for a case.

JVIDICAN

Any good cable connecting walkthroughs out there? lol. I'm not sure if i'm supposed to be pluging this 4+4-pin Atx12v/EPS12v cord from the Antec BP550+ PSU into the Atxpwr2 on the motherboard. I don't want to fry anything. :/

Nvm. Figured it out. :p
I think I'm almost done. :D

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Hey guys,

my rig is built and lookin good so far, Windows going on. My Carbide 500r case had two cables I didn't know what to do with. Well, one really. There was a firewire cable (mobo doesn't have firewire) so I just tucked that away.

The second looked like a fan cable, but instead of just three holes, it had the three pins (also could holes for three pins as well). I'm assuming this is just for daisy chaining fans... but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. All the fans seem to be running.

Check if the motherboard actually supports that much memory. Also, there might be a memory remapping option in the BIOS which needs to be enabled.

Check if the motherboard actually supports that much memory. Also, there might be a memory remapping option in the BIOS which needs to be enabled.

my mobo supports up to 4GB per slot, 16GB total. i had 4GB usable on my old W7 Ultimate install with the exact same hardware just fine.

memory remapping in the BIOS? can you show me an example of that setting i have an ASUS Crosshair AM2+ mobo btw.

rxdco07

Hey guys,

my rig is built and lookin good so far, Windows going on. My Carbide 500r case had two cables I didn't know what to do with. Well, one really. There was a firewire cable (mobo doesn't have firewire) so I just tucked that away.

The second looked like a fan cable, but instead of just three holes, it had the three pins (also could holes for three pins as well). I'm assuming this is just for daisy chaining fans... but wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something. All the fans seem to be running.

Just finished up building my rig as well. I was down to do those 2 wires as well lol, that three pin is for that big ass fan on the side on the side of the case. Only problem I'm running into is a couple of uninstalled devices on device manager (one of them being unknown) and trying to figure out why my wireless is so slow. (Maybe im using a mini N-USB adapter, but only have the wrt linsksys router with G/T)

383248_10150393569057471_668537470_8848716_649854620_n.jpg

Try disabling onboard video in the MB bios. Also, I just read that some MB have reserve ram for memory mapping. If you see that in the bios, you might need to disable / enable it.

I have an ASUS Gaming Mobo, its old but its actually the first in the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series they've had going under the "Crosshair" moniker... it has no onboard video, at all.

Maybe the OS is detecting my GPU as onboard because i installed windows with in plugged in? I do remember windows update having a 9800Gt nvidia driver in queue but i stopped it since i had my own beta drivers i wanted to install for BF3.

Do you think i should go & uninstall all the nvidia drivers via control panel and uninstall the drivers on device manager too to wipe the drivers clean and have W7 re-detect the GPU and INSTALL the stock windows update drivers that W7 offered up before?

mkenyon

Banned
Also, looking at a review, the Arc Midi cooling is nothing special. It's simply adequate:

*pics of data supporting his thesis*

That seems like a pretty loud case to me.

It's certainly flexible, though. The case is basically equivalent to the Cooler Master CM 690 II, but with a nicer styling (imo). There are a few tradeoffs: the Arc Midi has better drive cages, but the updated CM 690 II Advanced has a full sized CPU cutout.

I certainly wouldn't call the Arc Midi the end-all be-all of mid towers. It's simply another option, with the CM 690 II Advanced, HAF 922, and Corsair 400R/500$ being solid contenders as well at the $100 pricepoint.

Personally, I would pic the Arc because I think it has far superior styling to the competition, but I think the CM 690 II would be fighting for second place (USB 3.0 version). The HAF 922, is still the best choice for multi GPU systems if you don't mind the aggressive styling. The 400R/500R are very similar to the CM 690 II USB 3.0 Version, if you like their styling better than the CM 690 II.
I do get what you are saying, but someone like you who requires incredibly high performance with low noise, you're never going to find the right case as is direct from manufacturer.

This is where the Arc shines, and outclasses both the 400R/500R and CM 690II. First you have an insane array of fan mounts (6-8 depending on size), by far the most configurable that I've seen in a mid tower. Second, you have internal mounting spots for up to a 360x140 or 360x120 radiator on top, a 240x120 in front, and even a 120x120 on the bottom if you need it. If you do decide to go with a 240x120mm on top, you can place the fattest 240mm possible because the case is 9 inches wide. This allows the radiator to be offset so it won't interfere with mosfet heatsinks.

Now, the cooling potential and noise isn't great because fractal fans are pretty horrible. They're a lot better than the junky 120mm's you get with antec, corsair, and CM cases, but they certainly aren't GT's or Yate Loons. That's what you really need to do with the case to make it outstanding. It's more of a blank slate enclosure that offers any combination of options between air and liquid cooling to really nail down the exact setup you want.

If you do get a good air cooling setup, I really think a multi-channel fan controller is key to getting everything just right. Between the right combo of fans and being able to dial exactly the RPM you want, you end up with a build that can be both a cooling powerhouse but won't deafen you either.

As far as finding that one perfect case, I still stand by the X900 as possibly the most perfect case designed. The only thing it's missing is proper cutouts for cable management, but since the case is aluminum, it's nothing a dremel and some rubber gromets can't fix.

Lian_Li_X900-.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

I kick myself everytime I think about holding off on it when it was $250 on newegg. Such an idiot.

Though you probably know your statistic is exaggerated, for a counter point, I literally don't know a single person that builds their own rigs and uses wifi for something other than laptops/tablets/phones. I don't even know people who I have built rigs for that use wifi. About the only people that I do know who use wifi on their primary computers are normal consumers with a laptop, like my parents. That being the case, every PC building site knows that the people putting together their computers probably aren't going to be using wifi. Food for thought.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Just finished up building my rig as well. I was down to do those 2 wires as well lol, that three pin is for that big ass fan on the side on the side of the case. Only problem I'm running into is a couple of uninstalled devices on device manager (one of them being unknown) and trying to figure out why my wireless is so slow. (Maybe im using a mini N-USB adapter, but only have the wrt linsksys router with G/T)

383248_10150393569057471_668537470_8848716_649854620_n.jpg

yup, figured that out right after I posted and looked at the panel that was off. DUR.

left that off to make sure we are running good before sealing her up. lookin good so far though.

almost had a thermal paste disaster, but will save that story for later

gokieks

I have an ASUS Gaming Mobo, its old but its actually the first in the ROG (Republic of Gamers) series they've had going under the "Crosshair" moniker... it has no onboard video, at all.

Maybe the OS is detecting my GPU as onboard because i installed windows with in plugged in? I do remember windows update having a 9800Gt nvidia driver in queue but i stopped it since i had my own beta drivers i wanted to install for BF3.

Do you think i should go & uninstall all the nvidia drivers via control panel and uninstall the drivers on device manager too to wipe the drivers clean and have W7 re-detect the GPU and INSTALL the stock windows update drivers that W7 offered up before?

Try just re-seating the RAM. I've never seen it happen, but I remember somebody (Gary Whitta, maybe?) mentioning on a podcast that he had a similar issue and resolved it just by re-seatiing when he added more memory.

scogoth

Though you probably know your statistic is exaggerated, for a counter point, I literally don't know a single person that builds their own rigs and uses wifi for something other than laptops/tablets/phones. I don't even know people who I have built rigs for that use wifi. About the only people that I do know who use wifi on their primary computers are normal consumers with a laptop, like my parents. That being the case, every PC building site knows that the people putting together their computers probably aren't going to be using wifi. Food for thought.

Agreed but counter point, I use wifi because theres no way I'm tearing through drywall and studs to run a line to my room. Its the only fucking room in the house that doesn't have CAT5, hell one of the bathrooms is wired with CAT5. That being said I would never use a motherboards built in wifi.
Yes tried power line it doesn't work too well. I really really wish this room had ethernet ='[

Soi-Fong

I do get what you are saying, but someone like you who requires incredibly high performance with low noise, you're never going to find the right case as is direct from manufacturer.

This is where the Arc shines, and outclasses both the 400R/500R and CM 690II. First you have an insane array of fan mounts (6-8 depending on size), by far the most configurable that I've seen in a mid tower. Second, you have internal mounting spots for up to a 360x140 or 360x120 radiator on top, a 240x120 in front, and even a 120x120 on the bottom if you need it. If you do decide to go with a 240x120mm on top, you can place the fattest 240mm possible because the case is 9 inches wide. This allows the radiator to be offset so it won't interfere with mosfet heatsinks.

Now, the cooling potential and noise isn't great because fractal fans are pretty horrible. They're a lot better than the junky 120mm's you get with antec, corsair, and CM cases, but they certainly aren't GT's or Yate Loons. That's what you really need to do with the case to make it outstanding. It's more of a blank slate enclosure that offers any combination of options between air and liquid cooling to really nail down the exact setup you want.

If you do get a good air cooling setup, I really think a multi-channel fan controller is key to getting everything just right. Between the right combo of fans and being able to dial exactly the RPM you want, you end up with a build that can be both a cooling powerhouse but won't deafen you either.

As far as finding that one perfect case, I still stand by the X900 as possibly the most perfect case designed. The only thing it's missing is proper cutouts for cable management, but since the case is aluminum, it's nothing a dremel and some rubber gromets can't fix.

Lian_Li_X900-.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

I kick myself everytime I think about holding off on it when it was $250 on newegg. Such an idiot.

Too bad it's expensive as heck and costs more than most graphics cards...

Also, which case fans are known to be quiet, but push a lotta air?

Jtrizzy

Can anyone help me with updating my bios? It seems to be a risky/imortant thing and I've never done it.

I have an Asus P8Z68-V PRO, and I'm on version 0501, and it has been updated a few times since then it appears. I'm hoping this will help with some crashes I've been having in DX11 games lately.

The automatic updater in AI Suite II has an automatic updated but it doesn't seem to do anything, just says downloading...Anyway I've read it's best not to use the online updater any way. I also use this to overclock my 2600k. I tried to download the new bios from their site, but I don't really see what I'm supposed to do with the file.

Can anyone help me with updating my bios? It seems to be a risky/imortant thing and I've never done it.

I have an Asus P8Z68-V PRO, and I'm on version 0501, and it has been updated a few times since then it appears. I'm hoping this will help with some crashes I've been having in DX11 games lately.

The automatic updater in AI Suite II has an automatic updated but it doesn't seem to do anything, just says downloading...Anyway I've read it's best not to use the online updater any way. I also use this to overclock my 2600k. I tried to download the new bios from their site, but I don't really see what I'm supposed to do with the file.

put the file on a flash drive.
reboot and go to your bios.
go to advanced mode and go to tools
choose asus EZ flash utility
choose your flash drive and update!

Jtrizzy

Thanks for the reply! Just a question, what about all of the other files listed on the page below the bios(es)? Should I be concerned with those? Or just worry about the newest bios?

It is a ROM file right?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
ok. so there was just a very loud pop... and now everything is dead and i can't turn the machine back on at all...

uh. thoughts? PSU? motherboard?

sigh

edit - motherboard power light is on, but it won't boot. I'm assuming that means PSU is good and mobo is dead. yikes.

Thanks for the reply! Just a question, what about all of the other files listed on the page below the bios(es)? Should I be concerned with those? Or just worry about the newest bios?

It is a ROM file right?

yeah its a ROM file.
the vital ones are bios and chipset.

ok. so there was just a very loud pop... and now everything is dead and i can't turn the machine back on at all...

uh. thoughts? PSU? motherboard?

sigh

edit - motherboard power light is on, but it won't boot. I'm assuming that means PSU is good and mobo is dead. yikes.
yup. mobo is fried.

Jtrizzy

When I downloaded the chipset files, there are exe files. Asussetup.exe I tried to run it and it says my computer contains a newer version of the file.

Naka

All my pieces are purchased and I should be able to start my build next week. I have one question regarding SSD though. Is it safe to partition them? I really only do it for organizational purposes so if I ever have to format I dont need to redownload or reinstall big games like WoW. I typically only install games on my D drive partition while I keep the OS and other programs on C. Can I do this with SSD without causing any problems? I'm not sure how windows deals with TRIM or what it even does, so that's why I ask this question.

Toki767

Kind of a silly question, but I have 2 4gb sticks of ram and 2 2gb sticks of ram. Should I use all 4 for 12gb of ram or should I just use the 2 4gb sticks for 8? Not sure if just having 8 is more efficient than having 12 since the 4s are paired the 2s are paired.

aechris

Your Current Specs: AMD Phenom 8650 Triple-Core 2.30 GHz / GB DDR2 RAM / Motherboard / GeForce 9800 GT
Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050
List SPECIFIC games that you MUST be able to play: Diablo 3

I'm not looking to buy a totally new rig but I am curious where I would get the best bang for my buck when Diablo 3 is released. I've been playing the beta and while I can it at 1680x1050 with little problem, it gets all stuttery when things are getting crazy on the screen (lots of lightning and things exploding, etc).

Should I be looking at a new GPU? SSD going to do anything for me? Or am I far enough behind that I'd need to do a little more? Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom