• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey

Yeah, but your temps should be way better. It's preventing you from OC'ing one of the most OC'able cards out there.

For comparison this review shows load temp as 59C.

I know you love your FT-02, but it's holding you back.

I know it is :(. I can't take it anymore! lol the guru3d load temps are a solid 15+ lower than mine:(. A change must be made.

Been doing some reading and I think I'm going to scoop the Corsair 500r. Anandtech thinks it's a better case in some ways than the 600t despite being cheaper. Any recommendations on 120mm and 200mm fans?

Depending on how the GTX 600s turn out and I upgrade, and assuming they use a blower-style exhaust my setup now would be perfect......

that's insane

Explain to me what is so crazy about this.

chewydogg

What are you trying to keep on the SSD? It should primarily be the OS and commonly used programs that you'd like to keep there all the time (some keep a game or two but that depends on size).

Images, music, etc. should really be kept on an HDD. Honestly is there really that much installed on your old HDD that it can't be reinstalled again (which should be pretty fast on an SSD anyway?) It might be faster getting everything up and running "new" than driving yourself nuts trying to get it off the HDD.

That was my plan, OS and a few games on the SSD everything else on the HHD.

Now my issue is getting my backed up data off my 2nd HDD. I downloaded Easeuse Partition Master (per this guide). Which apparently made itself the default back up utility. I backed up my Primary HDD and then proceeded to haphazardly delete files from it to get it small enough to fit on the SSD (Intel 300 80gb). I mean I had a back up, no big deal if I delete the hell out of the drive. Now Windows says there is no back up available, even though I can see it under Computer tab with 300 gb of data.

I'm going to try a clean install on the SSD again, then wipe my primary HDD and try to recover from my second HDD (the one with the back up).

mkenyon

Banned
that's insane
I put mine on a wire rack. Keeps it dust free and makes sure it's getting nothing but fresh air.

(old bad pic of 600T)
r6UIgm.jpg

In terms of aesthetics, I still favor the Corsair 650D. Mid-tower dimensions suit its style very well.

T369O.png

Not the best bang-for-the-buck nor the best stock air cooling, but it's loaded with features and offers decent flexibility for water cooling.

woober

I think my question is fit for this thread:

I've been recording game footage and sound from mic using Fraps. I'm interested in using MSI Afterburner to do this now that I've heard it can record sound, has less hit on performance, and stores files in a smaller size.

Anyone know how the two compare and if Fraps is still the better program to use?

mkenyon

Banned
Is there any real benefit to the 500R over the Arc Midi? The Arc Midi is a much nicer looking case. Gonna have to replace the stock cooling in either one anyways.
Larger side panel fan, more room behind mobo tray for wires. There was still enough room in my mini to stuff uni-sleeved cable extras from a 8pin, 4 6+2 pins, 24 pin, one sata power, and one molex power. I did have to break out the masking tape and fear the day when I need to open it back up. One of the things I always loved about the 600T and is present in the 500R.

Note that although it looks like brushed aluminum in pictures on the midi, it's actually textured plastic to resemble aluminum. Don't know if that will have an effect on your decision making.

Far less room for Rads in the 500R if you ever decide to go that route. And by if, I mean when. :p
I think my question is fit for this thread:

I've been recording game footage and sound from mic using Fraps. I'm interested in using MSI Afterburner to do this now that I've heard it can record sound, has less hit on performance, and stores files in a smaller size.

Anyone know how the two compare and if Fraps is still the better program to use?
#1 thing that improves performance with streaming/recording is doing it on a second HDD, a different one from where the game is located. I can't speak to the difference between the two programs, but I know fraps is highly regarded.

TheExodu5

Banned
Note that although it looks like brushed aluminum in pictures on the midi, it's actually textured plastic to resemble aluminum. Don't know if that will have an effect on your decision making.

Ah, that's a shame. I was under the impression it was brushed aluminum.

500R sounds like a solid choice, in that case.

mkenyon

Banned
Yep. This picture grabs what it looks like in a non-perfect lighting environment. The XSPC cover is brushed aluminum for comparison.

Zhyfi.jpg

Someone posted a link to MM website earlier, the Monticle 18/24 are pretty oustanding cases, but rather bare bones. Much more of a really nice blank canvas than a finished product.

MONTICLE18.jpg

MONTICLE24.jpg

Seventh

So the fan on my reference 5850 has been making some loud noises lately. Instead of replacing the card, I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket cooler for it. I'm mainly looking for one that is 1) quiet and 2) compatible with a wide variety of cards.

The cooler I'm thinking about getting is an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo II. I'm not sure when I'll next upgrade my card, but it probably won't be for a couple of years, and I'll probably get a Nvidia card when I do. I'd like to get a cooler that's likely to be compatible with future cards so that I can re-use it when I eventually upgrade.

Does anyone know if that's a good cooler to get, or should I consider something else instead? Thanks.

mkenyon

Banned
So the fan on my reference 5850 has been making some loud noises lately. Instead of replacing the card, I'm thinking about getting an aftermarket cooler for it. I'm mainly looking for one that is 1) quiet and 2) compatible with a wide variety of cards.

The cooler I'm thinking about getting is an Arctic Cooling Accelero Twin Turbo II. I'm not sure when I'll next upgrade my card, but it probably won't be for a couple of years, and I'll probably get a Nvidia card when I do. I'd like to get a cooler that's likely to be compatible with future cards so that I can re-use it when I eventually upgrade.

Does anyone know if that's a good cooler to get, or should I consider something else instead? Thanks.
That's not likely going to happen.

In addition, a lot of the non-specific coolers, like the one you linked above, can have all sorts of weird installation issues where you have to buy all sorts of parts it doesn't list to make everything work right.

I'd really suggest going with a cooler that is specifically designed for your card. Greatly reduces the chances of bricking it.

Jtrizzy

The HAF cases look fine imo. I have the 932, all you need to do is get rid of the obnoxious red lightning on the front other than that it's just a black case. A large black case, but it doesn't have and cheesy gamer stuff on it.

The HAF cases look fine imo. I have the 932, all you need to do is get rid of the obnoxious red lightning on the front other than that it's just a black case. A large black case, but it doesn't have and cheesy gamer stuff on it.

did you update your mobo without complications?

ok so i lied. i have my hyper 212 + on my mobo and plugged into my mobo. I cannot get any RPM reads at all. I tried using the asus AI suite to test the percentages and rpm but it all says 0.

mkenyon

Banned
ok so i lied. i have my hyper 212 + on my mobo and plugged into my mobo. I cannot get any RPM reads at all. I tried using the asus AI suite to test the percentages and rpm but it all says 0.
How many pins was the plug that you put into the motherboard? Should be 4 pins to be able to have RPM monitored. I don't think the fan that comes with the CM 212+ is a 4pin.

BlaneH

Banned
Any suggestion for a CPU/Heatsink for an Athlon II X4 620? Rig has been running solid for a year now but have recently been getting temp warning beeps when playing Skyrim and think it's time for an upgrade over the stock cooler.

Codeblue

So, I finished a build and I seem to be having some problems with the fans (CPU and System), in that, all of them are going full blast all the time and it is really loud and obnoxious.

Nothing is overheating and they run even in sleep mode. Any advice?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So thanks to Microcenter's mega sales, they don't have any i5 2500ks or any motherboards near what I bought. I could spend a lot more, or take store credit (which is unneeded, since I have everything else).

They basically told me I could wait till more came in and to keep checking back, or exchange when something else I wanted came in.

Talk about frustrating.

I put in an accidental damage claim with AMEX which should cover the whole cost, we'll see if that works out. Would simplify things. The frustrating aspect is now while I wait all of this out, I'm sitting on a half-built rig missing those two pieces.

Lame lame lame.

Jtrizzy

did you update your mobo without complications?
Yes, and thanks for the assistance. Yesterday was a breakthrough with me and PC gaming, feels great after all of the problems I've had. Still have some issues to work on, but I learned to OC my CPU, GPU, update bios, and how to get temp readings on my G13. Also got a kick ass score on the PC racing thread.

Tonight I'm going to go back and see if I'm still getting crashes in some games after all of the updating and tinkering I did last night. I do have some questions though:

1. What temperatures do I need to be monitoring during gameplay/benchmarking? As of right now, I have MG G13 displaying GPU temp, GPU use %, memory usage (in MB) and FPS from Afterburner. I also have the program "Core Temp" which displays the temps for each core, along with CPU frequency.

2. What are the crucial temps? My understanding is that the GPU needs to stay under 90c, but I don't know what to be looking for with regard to my CPU core temps...

3. How do I determine if everything is stable? I get crashes in certain parts of Crysis 2 and BF3 when I put everything on ultra/dx 11/texture packs etc. I'm able to get through the Heaven Benchmark, as well as 3DMark11 with a score of P7794, which would be second highest on the Nvidia single gpu ladder if it gets updated.

4. With regard to fan speed, my "Chasis fan 2" is running at 428 RPM, while "CPU fan" is 720 RPM, "Chasis fan 1" is 745 rpm, "CPU fan OPT" is 745, and "power fan" at 745.

It has chasis fan 2 highlighted as if it's running slow, and it runs especially low at startup

mkenyon

Banned
1. What temperatures do I need to be monitoring during gameplay/benchmarking? As of right now, I have MG G13 displaying GPU temp, GPU use %, memory usage (in MB) and FPS from Afterburner. I also have the program "Core Temp" which displays the temps for each core, along with CPU frequency.

2. What are the crucial temps? My understanding is that the GPU needs to stay under 90c, but I don't know what to be looking for with regard to my CPU core temps...

3. How do I determine if everything is stable? I get crashes in certain parts of Crysis 2 and BF3 when I put everything on ultra/dx 11/texture packs etc. I'm able to get through the Heaven Benchmark, as well as 3DMark11 with a score of P7794, which would be second highest on the Nvidia single gpu ladder if it gets updated.

4. With regard to fan speed, my "Chasis fan 2" is running at 428 RPM, while "CPU fan" is 720 RPM, "Chasis fan 1" is 745 rpm, "CPU fan OPT" is 745, and "power fan" at 745.

It has chasis fan 2 highlighted as if it's running slow, and it runs especially low at startup
1. Thats it. Could do chipset, but you probably don't have to worry about that with a HAF.

2. 60's are a good place to be for load temp for your CPU. Anything below is a plus.

3. Stress tests are listed in the OP for different parts of your computer.

4. That is strange, I'm assuming this is a 200mm fan? As long as temps are fine and the fan is spinning, I wouldn't worry about it. You can easily get away with ~400RPM on the fans in a HAF case.
Project Beast: Revision will be underway shortly. Got a couple of 120mm fans as well for the radiator. Can't wait!
Can't wait to see your 3DMark improvement. Grats!

Got my shipment of parts from Newegg today; just waiting on a copy of Windows 7 to arrive from Amazon before I start putting this thing together.

About that Newegg shipment: why was a packet of instant coffee mixed in with my order? o_O

Jtrizzy

MKenyon, when you say load temp, does that mean under maximum load/stress?

And yes we need to update the Race thread, not for me, but for Smokey ;)

Smokey

Can't wait to see your 3DMark improvement. Grats!

The 200mm fan on the side panel...should that be an exhaust or intake? I'd like to think it should be an exhaust as it will be next to the GPUs. Right now I think by default they have it set as an intake.

mkenyon

Banned
MKenyon, when you say load temp, does that mean under maximum load/stress?

And yes we need to update the Race thread, not for me, but for Smokey ;)
Yeah, like in Prime 95. Games won't do a full load on your CPU.
Got my shipment of parts from Newegg today; just waiting on a copy of Windows 7 to arrive from Amazon before I start putting this thing together.

About that Newegg shipment: why was a packet of instant coffee mixed in with my order? o_O
So you get pumped and build a rig! Awesome accidental find though.
The 200mm fan on the side panel...should that be an exhaust or intake?
Depends on the rest of the fans, but probably intake.

I'd go front and side as intake. Top and rear as exhaust. You can mess with the configuration to see what nets you the best results if you are up for it.

Also be sure to remove as many HDD bays as possible and/or move them to get out of the way of the intake.

*edit*

One thing I hadn't considered there was the inclusion of the H100. I know that thing is a pain to mount, especially if you're doing push/pull, but you might want to try with that as intake since it'll be mounted on the top and your side panel as exhaust. It might not make a huge difference in temps if you do have the H100 as exhaust, as I have no idea what kind of heat those Lightnings throw into the case. I'd really be tempted to try it out both ways and see.

For my case, having the top as intake (where my 240mm rad is mounted) lowered CPU temps by something like 6-7C. However, my case is a lot smaller, so those TFII's fill up the case temp a lot quicker than yours might with a larger case. I settled with front and top as intake, rear and side as exhaust. It's like a blow dryer out of the side panel because of those TFII's.

I know it is :(. I can't take it anymore! lol the guru3d load temps are a solid 15+ lower than mine:(. A change must be made.

Been doing some reading and I think I'm going to scoop the Corsair 500r. Anandtech thinks it's a better case in some ways than the 600t despite being cheaper. Any recommendations on 120mm and 200mm fans?

Depending on how the GTX 600s turn out and I upgrade, and assuming they use a blower-style exhaust my setup now would be perfect......

Explain to me what is so crazy about this.

If you want a full tower, you should still go for the lian-li pc-p80N. the best Jerry, the best!
edit: oh I see you went for the corsair, well that's good too I guess.

Smokey

If you want a full tower, you should still go for the lian-li pc-p80N. the best Jerry, the best!
edit: oh I see you went for the corsair, well that's good too I guess.

Once I got to MC and saw the Full Towers I didn't want to do it. I'm sure the HAF X would've been amazing for cooling, just wasn't for me.

*edit*

One thing I hadn't considered there was the inclusion of the H100. I know that thing is a pain to mount, especially if you're doing push/pull, but you might want to try with that as intake since it'll be mounted on the top and your side panel as exhaust. It might not make a huge difference in temps if you do have the H100 as exhaust, as I have no idea what kind of heat those Lightnings throw into the case. I'd really be tempted to try it out both ways and see.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. The fans on the H100 as an intake, front fans as intake, side panel as exhaust. Fan in back as intake.

I know from experience with my H70 that the Corsair's are a bitch to install. Reviews I read today said it's much easier with the newer models.

Nobility

Banned
Does anyone know if Corsair will be announcing new cases at CES? I believe they unveiled the 650D there last year, I wonder if something new is in the pipeline.

Planning a new build around the time Ivy Bridge arrives and I still can't decide between the 650D or Fractal R3.

gatti-man

Kinda OT but does anyone here lap/polish their cpu before install? Ive always done this to aid in perfect cooler contact and avoid having a random hotter core.

mkenyon

Banned
Does anyone know if Corsair will be announcing new cases at CES? I believe they unveiled the 650D there last year, I wonder if something new is in the pipeline.

Planning a new build around the time Ivy Bridge arrives and I still can't decide between the 650D or Fractal R3.
Word on the street is a revised 800D or possibly a mATX case.

Nobility

Banned
Word on the street is a revised 800D or possibly a mATX case.

Thanks, i want something smaller than the 800D yet something bigger than the mATX (unless Corsair shocks everyone with the design and cooling).

Good to know, still hoping for 650D refresh.

Azzurri

Gold Member
Should I RMA my GTX 580?

It always reset, well drivers recover, video get ****ed up time to time, goes away for though then fuks up again. It's pissing me off. I just don't feel like spending a week or so with no computer, well none good enough like the new one I built.

Jtrizzy

I'm running Prime 95 in blend mode and my computer went to a blue screen that said it shut down to prevent damage. Temps never went over 64 that I saw.

What do I do now?

2600k multiplier at 44. I do the ocing in the os program, it doesn't seem to be an option in the bios, it says to adjust the multiplier in AI SUITE in the os.

Help! This must be related to my crashes in game.

JVIDICAN

Hmm.. I don't think I applied the thermal paste the correct way. Kinda just spread it over the contact area on the hyper 212+, In addition to that I did remove and replace the heat sink once during the installation. But I've been running Prime95 for over an hour now at stock and temps haven't gone over 45C. I think that's a good sign. :p
Should I be fine or should I look into redoing that sometime?

TheExodu5

Banned
Hmm.. I don't think I applied the thermal paste the correct way. Kinda just spread it over the contact area on the hyper 212+, In addition to that I did remove and replace the heat sink once during the installation. But I've been running Prime95 for over an hour now at stock and temps haven't gone over 45C. I think that's a good sign. :p
Should I be fine or should I look into redoing that sometime?

While you didn't do it the "proper" way, it seems to have worked out anyways. Those temps are great, no need to redo it.

vaelic

Banned
my machine has been OC'd to 4.5 and it is stable, my question is, when I check CPU-Z the core speed will fluctuate from 4500 to 1600. If I am not doing anything intensive, should it not just sit at 1600?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Kinda OT but does anyone here lap/polish their cpu before install? Ive always done this to aid in perfect cooler contact and avoid having a random hotter core.
I have on my 3 heatsinks. Once on my CPU. I don't plan on doing it again, thought it did help even out and lower temps.
I'm running Prime 95 in blend mode and my computer went to a blue screen that said it shut down to prevent damage. Temps never went over 64 that I saw.

What do I do now?

2600k multiplier at 44. I do the ocing in the os program, it doesn't seem to be an option in the bios, it says to adjust the multiplier in AI SUITE in the os.

Help! This must be related to my crashes in game.
Use the BIOS. It's in there. Clocks might not be stable if you get BSOD.

vilmer_

Should I RMA my GTX 580?

It always reset, well drivers recover, video get ****ed up time to time, goes away for though then fuks up again. It's pissing me off. I just don't feel like spending a week or so with no computer, well none good enough like the new one I built.

Are you getting the "display driver stopped responding but has recovered" error?

Jtrizzy

Ok I'm in the bios, ai tweaker. I changed the ai overclock tuner to manual. Then I change turbo ratio to by all cores.

You were right I can type into the by all cores box. Do I just type 44 in there? Or is it the bclk/pcie frequency box that has 100.00.

Once I got to MC and saw the Full Towers I didn't want to do it. I'm sure the HAF X would've been amazing for cooling, just wasn't for me.

This is pretty much what I was thinking. The fans on the H100 as an intake, front fans as intake, side panel as exhaust. Fan in back as intake.

I know from experience with my H70 that the Corsair's are a bitch to install. Reviews I read today said it's much easier with the newer models.

they don't sell the lian-li at MC. have you seen the lian -lis though? nothing like a HAF X.

vilmer_

Yup, also screen goes blank then resets, video is messed up.

I used to get this problem a lot. Scoured the internet high and low and there never seemed to be a concrete answer. I thought it was the video card at first, but I changed motherboards and ram, and the problem went away for good.

Azzurri

Gold Member
I used to get this problem a lot. Scoured the internet high and low and there never seemed to be a concrete answer. I thought it was the video card at first, but I changed motherboards and ram, and the problem went away for good.

I changed my Mobo and it still happened and my ram, same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom