• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Just drop in a 2600K into the Excellent build and you will be all set.
You shouldn't have any trouble buying parts where you are, just find out what the central place is.

I just came back from my trip to NY and got my new computer parts (building it from scratch). I bought the exact $1000 build listed in the OP. Haven't assembled it yet, will do so as soon as my case arrives. As soon as I do that, I'll write a review here.

As usual, thank you, GAF, for the excellent help.

rxdco07

379073_10150391529982471_668537470_8843481_220977307_n.jpg

Got everything! I just need to pick up a vid card and a hard drive at microcenter tomorrow, then should be good to go. I feel anxious, hopefully I don't do any stupid shit that will ruin some components lol. I know, don't touch any golden parts, and try not to assemble stuff on carpet. Anything else?

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm really not sure how I feel about mechanical keyboards at this point. I appreciate the fact that it takes so little effort to type with, but the noise is insane (and I'm using brown switches). With the switch dampeners, it barely feels better than a membrane keyboard. Without the dampeners, it feels like, but it's still incredibly loud, and the tactile bump is not very noticeable at all.

I'll give it a chance and use it for a few weeks, but I may end up just going back to my Logitech Illuminated (I have an early version with no ghosting issues). Very quiet, supremely easy to type with, and a very prominent tactile bump.

mkenyon

Banned
You need to learn how to type without bottoming out. That's the learning curve for them. Once you get to that point, you become a crazy fast typer. It takes awhile to get used to. I still revert to slamming on my blues when I'm typing furiously fast between deaths in tribes/warsow.

I think you might appreciate a blue with dampeners though. Then you get clicky response without slamming the keys down.

RS4-

I'm really not sure how I feel about mechanical keyboards at this point. I appreciate the fact that it takes so little effort to type with, but the noise is insane (and I'm using brown switches). With the switch dampeners, it barely feels better than a membrane keyboard. Without the dampeners, it feels like, but it's still incredibly loud, and the tactile bump is not very noticeable at all.

I'll give it a chance and use it for a few weeks, but I may end up just going back to my Logitech Illuminated (I have an early version with no ghosting issues). Very quiet, supremely easy to type with, and a very prominent tactile bump.

I'll take it off you! But you're in Ottawa right?

Uncle AJ

Well the reason I use the pvr is because I can still play on my 55" tv. Connection goes into the pvr which then goes to my pc VIA usb. As I mentioned before I capture the picture on my monitor with dynno. Able to still play on tv while the computer does its thing. If I get intensity which is internal card , won't I pretty much have to game close to my computer area? Not sure how it would work unless I'm missing something . If I could do that while retaining the ability to use my main tv is do it in a heartbeat.

If you want to play off your TV, whatever capture device you're using needs to support video OUT like the PVR does. I don't know if your card will, or if any such card exists.

If you're doing this for online streaming, playing off your computer screen is actually preferable because there will be no video lag (the PVR creates about 1 second of lag because it's connected to your computer by USB) and you can respond to viewers faster. I plan on changing to an internal card when I build my new computer.

http://mosax.sakura.ne.jp/yp4g/fswiki.cgi?action=ATTACH&page=SCFH+DSF&file=SCFHDSF041.zip <-- This is the program I use to capture video off my computer screen. Message me if you have any questions about using it.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'll take it off you! But you're in Ottawa right?

Indeed.

You need to learn how to type without bottoming out. That's the learning curve for them. Once you get to that point, you become a crazy fast typer. It takes awhile to get used to. I still revert to slamming on my blues when I'm typing furiously fast between deaths in tribes/warsow.

I think you might appreciate a blue with dampeners though. Then you get clicky response without slamming the keys down.

The feel is important to me, and I just don't like the feel of the keys when I'm not bottoming out. I like the feel of bottoming out the key without a dampener, but then it becomes incredibly loud. Right now, I'm typing without bottoming out because it's just so damned loud...and it doesn't have that satisfying thud of bottoming out the key. With my scissor switch keyboard, I get both feel and quietness.

This may not be for me. Like I said, I'll give it a little while...I might warm up to it and prefer it in the end. We'll see.

I might have been better off with something other than browns...maybe reds. The tactile bump is so subtle and fat that I need to concentrate to feel it. It just makes the keyboard feel gritty, and now particularly smooth.

Not happy right now. How the hell do I connect my AX850 PSU to my motherboard? I need a eatx12v and none of the split connectors look any-fucking-thing like the pinout (square vs rounded) of the eatx12v connector on my asus P8Z68-V. Very frustrating. Can anyone help?

TheExodu5

Banned
Not happy right now. How the hell do I connect my AX850 PSU to my motherboard? I need a eatx12v and none of the split connectors look any-fucking-thing like the pinout (square vs rounded) of the eatx12v connector on my asus P8Z68-V. Very frustrating. Can anyone help?

Are you talking about the 4 pin near the CPU? There should be an 8 pin that's splittable into 2x 4 pins that will plug in there.

Petrie

Banned
So I gave a buddy some old parts to play with, and he has an issue, though its likely he busted it. He put the rig together, and had everything hooked up, booted, etc. It was showing a cpu temp error (likely because it was originally overclocked but now has a stock cpu) but he thought the heatsink/fan was loose and pushed down on it. The pc turned off, and now apparently wont reboot. I told him to disconnect the power, remove the mobo battery, and leave it for an hour or 2, however is it likely borked now or is there something else I should do?

Now the cpu fan starts to rev up when the power is presses, but then stops and shuts down. So frustrating.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well...I changed my mind. Back to the Logitech Illuminated. I'm going to cut my losses and get rid of my shiny new mechanical keyboard. The keyboard itself is extremely well built, but the mechanical switches are not for me.

It's a shame I'll be out over $100 just to have tried this. =\

($60 shipping back and forth, $28 of import taxes, 10% restocking fee)

Are you talking about the 4 pin near the CPU? There should be an 8 pin that's splittable into 2x 4 pins that will plug in there.

The way the EATX12V is keyed I would have to run two separate braided cables from the PSU in order to make a connection. It's asinine. I have to be overlooking something.

EATX12V is keyed like the picture shown here:

http://superuser.com/questions/307579/should-i-connect-two-4-pin-eatx12v-power-plugs

But I don't have anything that even remotely resembles that.

It looks like I only need to plug in 4 pins then? Because even though it has the 4x2 configuration, mating them together will not yield the correct configuration for all 8 pins. The squares and rounded pins simply do not match.

TheExodu5

Banned
It looks like I only need to plug in 4 pins then? Because even though it has the 4x2 configuration, mating them together will not yield the correct configuration for all 8 pins. The squares and rounded pins simply do not match.

They don't need to match. As long as it fits in you're okay. I believe one of the 4 pin connectors will have all rounded pins...just make sure it goes in the same way as the other 4 pin connector (as both 4 pins should form an 8 pin together).

They don't need to match. As long as it fits in you're okay. I believe one of the 4 pin connectors will have all rounded pins...just make sure it goes in the same way as the other 4 pin connector (as both 4 pins should form an 8 pin together).

You are 100% correct. I just figured that out and came to post it. One of them had the correct square alignment, which acts as a guide for the full 8 pin set. Thanks!

I noticed certain games like Just Cause 2 have the option to increase the resolution while in Windows mode. Any other games have this function? I tried Limbo, Terraria, Aquaria but to no avail.

mkenyon

Banned
Well...I changed my mind. Back to the Logitech Illuminated. I'm going to cut my losses and get rid of my shiny new mechanical keyboard. The keyboard itself is extremely well built, but the mechanical switches are not for me.

FWIW, I hate browns. Reds and blues for me.

Smokey

If you want to play off your TV, whatever capture device you're using needs to support video OUT like the PVR does. I don't know if your card will, or if any such card exists.

If you're doing this for online streaming, playing off your computer screen is actually preferable because there will be no video lag (the PVR creates about 1 second of lag because it's connected to your computer by USB) and you can respond to viewers faster. I plan on changing to an internal card when I build my new computer.

http://mosax.sakura.ne.jp/yp4g/fswiki.cgi?action=ATTACH&page=SCFH+DSF&file=SCFHDSF041.zip <-- This is the program I use to capture video off my computer screen. Message me if you have any questions about using it.

Thanks for the advice. What about the Intensity Black Magic Pro?

pciexpress.jpg

If I'm not mistaken isn't that HDMI in/out?

I've been looking at the ASUS GTX 570 DCUII a lot recently and I'm looking at getting one of those now. My only concern is if I'll be able to fit two of those triple-slot beasts onto a ASUS Maximus Gene-Z seeing as it is mATX (my guess is probably not).

Soi-Fong

I've been looking at the ASUS GTX 570 DCUII a lot recently and I'm looking at getting one of those now. My only concern is if I'll be able to fit two of those triple-slot beasts onto a ASUS Maximus Gene-Z seeing as it is mATX (my guess is probably not).

Nope. No way, no how.

RS4-

If you know someone coming down to Toronto, I'll take it off your hands. Pics!

scogoth

Are you Vancity? I would be interested in taking off your hands but I won't be out there till the 16th.

Edit: Or sell it to RS4 =$, I could be a courier!

But I thought mechanical was so superior and worth $100+!?

Total reversal? More info needed.

You guys think the 7000 series will launch December?

All leaks indicate January. On December 5th we'll know for sure.

zulfate

Well, don't know aboot the wasted money part, but the 580 should be much much faster than the 560 ti and you are in no disadvantage whatsoever, despite having less ram

The 2GB card only has more memory...it's still slower than the GTX 580 by a decent margin. 1.5GB of RAM is not going to limit you as long as you're not gaming at 1440p/1600p resolution.

The new GTX 560 is 5-10% slower than the GTX 570 as well.

You certainly get better bang for your buck with the GTX 560 Ti. Cheaper cards tend to give better bang for buck. With the GTX 580, you pay a bit of a premium to get the best. It's about 15-20% faster than the GTX 570 for 40% extra cost. For some people (including myself), this is worth it. If you had the money to spend and it was within your budget, then don't feel too bad about it.

That being said, those of us that do buy the highest end typically don't mind spending more money than is necessary in this hobby. I'm sure many GTX 580 owners will happily consider upgrading to the next generation of video cards for even more speed. It's not economical, but when you spend as much time gaming on the PC as I do, the gains are worth it.

ok sounds good thanks guys

scogoth

But I thought mechanical was so superior and worth $100+!?

Total reversal? More info needed.

Keyboards are very personal as are mice. People like what they like and don't want to change. I used to use a Microsoft Wheel Optical Mouse with an apple chiclet keyboard to game. It took me a long time to get used to my current mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse but I had to cause the last setup was not ergonomic to say the least. That and the CLACK CLICK CLACK CLACK is awesome.

Consoles?

HDCP protected...... so no.

Consoles?

Xbox 360 will work perfectly. 360's HDCP only kicks in on DVDs, Netflix, Zune, and stuff like that. Games don't have HDCP protection.

On the other hand, PS3 will not work at all. PS3 is 100% HDCP protected. All you will see is a black screen.

The best you can do with the PS3 is component capturing. Fucking sucks.

Keyboards are very personal as are mice. People like what they like and don't want to change. I used to use a Microsoft Wheel Optical Mouse with an apple chiclet keyboard to game. It took me a long time to get used to my current mechanical keyboard and gaming mouse but I had to cause the last setup was not ergonomic to say the least. That and the CLACK CLICK CLACK CLACK is awesome.

HDCP protected...... so no.

Ok 'my keyboard is steampunk' guy. :p

I guess I'm spoiled cause I use a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000, got it for $20 instead of its $55 MSRP, and like it more than any other desktop keyboard I've ever used. Yeah, no fancy 'au naturale clickity clackity' action, but it's fucking comfortable and amazingly easy to use once you get used to the 'holy shit staggered/weird-angled keys.'

I type like 110 WPM though so I'm kinda fussy about comfort/ease of use on a keyboard. You'd be surprised, but one of the best keyboards I've ever used was on my Alienware M17x R3. GOD DAMN that keyboard felt good/smooth/sexy/comfortable/responsive. Never thought a laptop could feel so good.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Don't feel too bad, that Logitech is a fantastic keyboard, I absolutely love mine and always make sure to toss it in as a recommendation when a friend is looking to buy a keyboard.

What's this ghosting issue you mentioned? I've had this one for around a year now so maybe it's old enough to not have it.

Smokey

Xbox 360 will work perfectly. 360's HDCP only kicks in on DVDs, Netflix, Zune, and stuff like that. Games don't have HDCP protection.

On the other hand, PS3 will not work at all. PS3 is 100% HDCP protected. All you will see is a black screen.

The best you can do with the PS3 is component capturing. Fucking sucks.
Sweet. I don't do much ps3 streaming at all its mostly 360. I'll look into this black magic pro.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Is it okay if I install the custom fan and overclock later, would make me reinstall anything new to affect my current loadout?

vaelic

Banned
379073_10150391529982471_668537470_8843481_220977307_n.jpg

Got everything! I just need to pick up a vid card and a hard drive at microcenter tomorrow, then should be good to go. I feel anxious, hopefully I don't do any stupid shit that will ruin some components lol. I know, don't touch any golden parts, and try not to assemble stuff on carpet. Anything else?
pffffffft I always assemble on carpet :)

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN
Today i received the CM Hyper 212+ I ordered last week. Already installed and running (2500K@4,5Ghz~60ºC).

So good :D

TheExodu5

Banned
Don't feel too bad, that Logitech is a fantastic keyboard, I absolutely love mine and always make sure to toss it in as a recommendation when a friend is looking to buy a keyboard.

What's this ghosting issue you mentioned? I've had this one for around a year now so maybe it's old enough to not have it.

Some important key combinations block input. W + Shift + Space is the big one I can think of. I have the release version of the keyboard that didn't have this issue.

It's possibly they've fixed it since then, but I know a little while after launch people concluded that Logitech "gimped" the board to promote its gaming line.

I'm realizing now just how much I disliked that mechanical keyboard. I think I prefer membrane, even. It's nice and all that the mechanical board actuates halfway through the travel, but I find the travel way too long in the first place.

I'll just conclude by saying that keyboards are definitely a very personal thing, and a mechanical board is not necessarily an upgrade for all users. It's something you should definitely sample before you jump head-first like I did and spend a considerable amount of money.

mkenyon

Banned
Pretty sweet Newegg deals today.

Fractal Arc Midi is $85 and free shipping with promo code EMCJHKJ24.

Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB DDR3 is $40.

GSkill Sniper 8GB is $30 with promo code EMCJHKJ27.

ASUS VH236H is $159 with promo code EMCJHKJ38, plus $20 MIR.

Corsair AX850 is $180 with promo code EMCJHKJ26 and a $20 MIR.

Finally, I'm looking to sell one of my Maximus IV Gene-Z mobos. Thought I'd let folks know here before going to overclock.net/cragislist. NIB, $150 shipped to your door for US/Canada.

Fixed1979

Alright I can&#8217;t take it anymore, I was trying to hold off from making any upgrades until next year when I can consider a complete replacement but I really want to increase performance in BF3, Skyrim etc and I&#8217;d like to get a new card that is able to take 5.1 off the MB and send it through HDMI. I also will be running most things in 3D when possible. Any advice on the best way to go?

Currently running:
I7-920 @ 3.8
6gb DDR3 TC
80Gb SSD
Games installed on a 2TB black
GTX295
Using either an Acer 23.5&#8221; 3d monitor (1080p) or a Sony HMZ-T1 (720p)

Sooo the ram is now visible but it says i have 8GB of ram (3.99 GB in use)

I have windows 7 64bit, do I have to change settings in bios or something to get it to use 8gb?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Alright I can&#8217;t take it anymore, I was trying to hold off from making any upgrades until next year when I can consider a complete replacement but I really want to increase performance in BF3, Skyrim etc and I&#8217;d like to get a new card that is able to take 5.1 off the MB and send it through HDMI. I also will be running most things in 3D when possible. Any advice on the best way to go?

Currently running:
I7-920 @ 3.8
6gb DDR3 TC
80Gb SSD
Games installed on a 2TB black
GTX295
Using either an Acer 23.5&#8221; 3d monitor (1080p) or a Sony HMZ-T1 (720p)

Not really out of date at all aside from the 295. 580 is probably the only worthwhile upgrade from that, since you'd get a performance increase across the board and you wouldn't have SLI issues. Probably best to wait to see what AMD is going to announce, their cards should be coming soon.

Nothing else should be bottlenecking you, and even that rig at 1080p should be plenty capable (for games with decent SLI support at least).

Edit: And I can't really help you with the sound, figured the 295 would support audio over HDMI. Pretty sure newer NVidia and AMD cards will do that.

Some important key combinations block input. W + Shift + Space is the big one I can think of. I have the release version of the keyboard that didn't have this issue.

It's possibly they've fixed it since then, but I know a little while after launch people concluded that Logitech "gimped" the board to promote its gaming line.

only thing about my illuminated that bothers me, luckily bf3 can continue sprinting without w held, so can still sprint with shift and jump at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom