• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

knitoe

curious then, how come everyone says to get 1.5v ram. whats so good about 1.5?

Sandy bridge seems to be designed to due 1.5V rams. You could use higher spec, but they could lead to more compatibility problems. Thus, it's better to play it safe and go 1.5V.

Any reason I should get an 1100t over the 1090t assuming I'm going to overclock?
My system is for games and for rendering, but the rendering part isn't as critical to me.

1090t = $160
1100t = $200

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks! I'll check it out - could be it.
I believe the next driver release fixed that issue. I'd download MSI Afterburner and look at your GPU stats (temp/fanspeeds) and see if that might be it.
Up the fan, lower the clocks and see if it keeps happening.
Any reason I should get an 1100t over the 1090t assuming I'm going to overclock?
My system is for games and for rendering, but the rendering part isn't as critical to me.

1090t = $160
1100t = $200
I'd just get the 1090. Intel if you can really...

lordy88

The 2x2 ram I had was rated at 8-8-8-24 (I'm not an expert so I don't really know what that means) and the 2x4 was 9-9-9-24 so I had to change the timing in the bios to 9-9-9-24.

I hope some who knows what they're talking about can explain it properly.

I've gone from this ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231321 with a 7-8-7-24-2N timing to this ram: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314 with a 9-9-9-24 timing-2N

Would I still benefit from putting the old G Skill Eco 2x2GB Ram in the 2 black ram slots?

Thanks for all of your help!

So I'm just about to order http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16437 and http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_902_1006&products_id=17956 to upgrade my i7 860 system, just wondering what power cable I will need for the SSD, can't find the info anywhere. Cheers
Basic SATA power cable. If you don't have any spares on your PSU, use a molex to SATA power adapter.

I've gone from this ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231321 with a 7-8-7-24-2N timing to this ram: www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314 with a 9-9-9-24 timing-2N

Would I still benefit from putting the old G Skill Eco 2x2GB Ram in the 2 black ram slots?

Thanks for all of your help!
Unless you know that the second set above will run at the tighter CL7 timings without issue, you'll want to set everything to run at the looser CL9 settings.

Thank you feist for the suggestion! I was dead-set on the Arc Midi and now I'm having a hard time deciding again. lol
My only question is if it can fit a push/pull config with the H100.

It seems to do a pretty good job with cooling, but I'm worried about the cooling on grafix cards that run very hot.
If you notice, the link to the above H100 build has a shot of two MSI GTX 580 Lightnings, and the owner has been happy with the case. The image at the bottom of my previous post has an Asus GTX 580 Matrix. Both cards dump most of their heat into the case. Cooling is flexible, and mostly up to how you prefer to set things up in your build. In the links and videos, you'll see that the P280 accepts fans on the back of the HDD cage, which could also house a push/pull rad, depending on the length of your GPU(s).

Like this:
buildit-sandybridgee-stepc-small.jpg
2nYsO.jpg

Push/pull beneath the hood depends on any interference you may run into with the other components in the build (mainly ram, 8-pin CPU connector, and VRM heat sinks). If you ever feel the need for more cooling, or just want to try out different airflow setups, you could always buy the left and/or right side panel doors from the Antec Eleven Hundred. The left panel houses two 120mm, or a single 140mm. The right side houses a single 120mm/140mm that cools the back of the motherboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m5qsQMZDfI

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/cases/Eleven-Hundred/Antec_Eleven_Hundred_Left.JPG
http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/cases/Eleven-Hundred/Antec_Eleven_Hundred_Right.JPG

1100_032_000.jpg
1100_034_000.jpg

edit: Whichever case you're interesting in ultimately going with, just take some time to checkout videos, reviews, and owner feedback.

Okay so this is rumor mill, but I saw the following posted on Engadget and I was sad.

intelivybridgeroadmap.jpg

According to this photo of "rumored" leaked intel release map. Ivy Bridge won't be coming till Q2, 2012. :(

Source

Okay so this is rumor mill, but I saw the following posted on Engadget and I was sad.

intelivybridgeroadmap.jpg

According to this photo of "rumored" leaked intel release map. Ivy Bridge won't be coming till Q2, 2012. :(

Source
It's not a rumor, though:

Everything you would want to know about Ivy Bridge and Ivy Bridge-E, straight from Intel - 128 complete slides of info (downloadable .PDF, and .JPG)

*very nearly everything

On the subject of Intel, the upcoming 520 series SSD (long rumored to be SandForce powered), is showing up again, as launch approaches.

Intel Future SSD Models Leaked! (specs & performance)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27496492&postcount=15089
Intel 520, and 710 Series SSDs; Intel 330P, 530P, 720P Series PCIe SSDs

Intel SSD 520 Series ‘SandForce Driven’ SATA 3 SSD Release Imminent – As Predicted
http://thessdreview.com/latest-buzz...-3-ssd-release-imminent-as-we-said-all-along/

*click for 1,135px × 809px and 1,171px × 716px

*click for 692px × 903px
gFC83.png

papercut

Quick advice request:

I'm looking to connect my PC to my home theater setup, which is in another room. I pretty much have to use slim HDMI cables to do this as I won't be able to route the regular thickness ones because of their size and inflexibility.

The total distance is about 30ft max, however I can't find any slim HDMI cables that long. I've been looking at HDMI extenders (such as this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EPVOQY/?tag=neogaf0e-20 ) and was wondering if anyone can think of a reason why this wouldn't work. Am I going to lose the signal by trying to extend two slim cables?

Alternatively if someone can think of a site that sells slim cables that long that would also work.

Thanks.

Manp

Crosspost from the tech support thread:

I've had this issue ever since building my PC. My internal hard drives are showing up in the "Safely Remove Hardware Media and Eject Media" option. As far as I can tell this isn't really causing a problem but I don't like having the notification always there and it takes me a bit longer to find what to eject when I actually have something external plugged in. If anyone knows how to fix this or knows if I've setup something wrong any help would be appreciated.

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about:

STePe.png

install the Intel Rapid Storage drivers or whatever thy're called

:)

Majeh

Friend of mine has the E6700, 2gb ddr2, some crappy HD2xxx card and likely a not so good power supply.

He doesn't want to spend a lot so what would be a good graphics card to put in this system (he's going to get a new power supply also)

Edit: he'd like to spend around £100 for now and buy a new system later on.

mug

Friend of mine has the E6700, 2gb ddr2, some crappy HD2xxx card and likely a not so good power supply.

He doesn't want to spend a lot so what would be a good graphics card to put in this system (he's going to get a new power supply also)

Edit: he'd like to spend around £100 for now and buy a new system later on.

umm, well he might be able to buy a 5670 or 6670 for around 100 and not require a power supply upgrade.

Soi-Fong

·feist·;33199337 said:
Basic SATA power cable. If you don't have any spares on your PSU, use a molex to SATA power adapter.

Unless you know that the second set above will run at the tighter CL7 timings without issue, you'll want to set everything to run at the looser CL9 settings.

If you notice, the link to the above H100 build has a shot of two MSI GTX 580 Lightnings, and the owner has been happy with the case. The image at the bottom of my previous post has an Asus GTX 580 Matrix. Both cards dump most of their heat into the case. Cooling is flexible, and mostly up to how you prefer to set things up in your build. In the links and videos, you'll see that the P280 accepts fans on the back of the HDD cage, which could also house a push/pull rad, depending on the length of your GPU(s).

Like this:
buildit-sandybridgee-stepc-small.jpg
2nYsO.jpg

Push/pull beneath the hood depends on any interference you may run into with the other components in the build (mainly ram, 8-pin CPU connector, and VRM heat sinks). If you ever feel the need for more cooling, or just want to try out different airflow setups, you could always buy the left and/or right side panel doors from the Antec Eleven Hundred. The left panel houses two 120mm, or a single 140mm. The right side houses a single 120mm/140mm that cools the back of the motherboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_m5qsQMZDfI

http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/cases/Eleven-Hundred/Antec_Eleven_Hundred_Left.JPG
http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/cases/Eleven-Hundred/Antec_Eleven_Hundred_Right.JPG

1100_032_000.jpg
1100_034_000.jpg

edit: Whichever case you're interesting in ultimately going with, just take some time to checkout videos, reviews, and owner feedback.

Thank you Feist for the suggestion!! I really appreciate it, but my graphics card being 12.5 inches, it seems that the Antec P280 won't be an option for me since I want to be able to put a fan in the back of the HDD cage. I'll look at the other cases you suggested, but it seems like I'm leaning towards the Arc Midi once again. lol

Since I'm in the middle of finalizing and ordering the rest of my parts, I was already set on getting this mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3. But then I came across this one: ASRock FATAL1TY P67 PROFESSIONAL B3. Any opinions on this board? I particularly love the color scheme and the price point.

I'm also still deciding on getting either two ASUS GTX 560 Ti DCUII cards to SLI or a single ASUS GTX 570 or 580 DCUII. Though I've been reading that going SLI I may encounter microstuttering issues or having to wait for drivers for certain games. Any recommendations are appreciated.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Since I'm in the middle of finalizing and ordering the rest of my parts, I was already set on getting this mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3. But then I came across this one: ASRock FATAL1TY P67 PROFESSIONAL B3. Any opinions on this board? I particularly love the color scheme and the price point.

I'm also still deciding on getting either two ASUS GTX 560 Ti DCUII cards to SLI or a single ASUS GTX 570 or 580 DCUII. Though I've been reading that going SLI I may encounter microstuttering issues or having to wait for drivers for certain games. Any recommendations are appreciated.

I don't see a point in going with two cards less than a 570 or 580. Couple 560s might be cheaper than a 580, but a 580 will give you much more consistent performance without the drawbacks of SLI.

Not sure about the motherboards. I think most people would go with the Asus just based on the name brand, but you would probably be fine with either.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Both should be fine. I would personally lean towards an ASUS if I'm spending over $150, just because their support tends to be better when you spend more with them. I haven't heard of any stories with ASRock RMA / DOA so I don't know if they are good or bad.
Single Card. Nothing really taxes a 570/580 now and new cards are not THAT far away. (March/June)

I don't see a point in going with two cards less than a 570 or 580. Couple 560s might be cheaper than a 580, but a 580 will give you much more consistent performance without the drawbacks of SLI.

Both should be fine. I would personally lean towards an ASUS if I'm spending over $150, just because their support tends to be better when you spend more with them. I haven't heard of any stories with ASRock RMA / DOA so I don't know if they are good or bad.
Single Card. Nothing really taxes a 570/580 now and new cards are not THAT far away. (March/June)

Thanks for the input guys. :)

I'll go with the ASUS mobo as planned. I guess I'll toss a coin (and look at my wallet) over the 570 or 580 decision.

FoolsRun

It's a little late to bring this up, but I've been reading the ongoing saga of Smokey and his video card/Silverstone case problems over the past few months, and the argument that his high GTX580 temperatures were caused by hot air blowing around in the case never rang true to me. I have a Silverstone RV02, which is essentially a cheaper version of the FT02, and the thing is designed like a chimney. Cool air comes in from the entire bottom of the case and exhaust out the top. Unless the FT02 has fewer openings than the Raven, there should be plenty of air to escape, and since hot air rises, I'd expect the case to be as good, if not better, at getting hot air out quickly than most other cases.

After doing a little research, I think the issue is less the airflow in the case and more the heat pipe design of that particular card (and some other non-reference coolers). If you look at the picture below of an MSI Lightning 580, you'll see that the heatsink is near the PCI-slot end of the card (the right side). When positioned horizontally, the heat flow laterally along the heat pipes to the aluminum fins, which are then cooled by the fans. When hung vertically, heat has to transfer down the pipes, which it generally doesn't want to do. I think what's happening is that most of the heat remains in the top half of the card instead of being diffused among the entire cooler.

UzBKF.jpg

The ASUS DirectCU 580 card has a similar heat-pipe design, and would presumbly have the same problem. Hopefully Smokey will have better luck with his new case, provided he doesn't strangle himself with his unruly power cables.

For the price, the Gene-Z is the best overclocker. However, you can mostly achieve similar results with just about any P67 or Z68 boards in the $130-200 range. To really make use of a high OC in the 4.8-5.0 range 24/7, you need a high end cooler or a custom loop.

You also have PCI-E slots that have no space between them if you are looking for a dual card setup. If you use both PCI-E slots with cards, you get no other expansion slots. If, like me, you don't have much of a use for expansion slots other than for GPU's, it's not really an issue.

What is it about the 2011 boards popping up that annoys you?

I really don't have any use for an expansion slot, so a µATX board should be fine. Might even fit better in the G5 case.

I'm watercooling my Q6600 right now, but I'm not sure if I'll keep it for the 2500k. It's so annoying when you try to fix something. Not that it happens often, but if you're troubleshooting, you don't want to get more obstacles in the way. I've already kept the stock cooler on my 6950 because of this.

It annoys me, because it already makes the hardware I want to purchase feel outdated. :)

btw, any word on the Windows 8 compatibility of those boards? I know they have UEFI, but is it enough to get that ridiculous fast boot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ia3zBs42cc

mkenyon

Banned
I really don't have any use for an expansion slot, so a µATX board should be fine. Might even fit better in the G5 case.

btw, any word on the Windows 8 compatibility of those boards? I know they have UEFI, but is it enough to get that ridiculous fast boot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ia3zBs42cc
There's a few really nice detailed G5 build logs on overclock.net, you might get some good ideas in there.

Not certain on the Windows 8 boot time.

@FoolsRun
That makes so much sense. The hot air swirling around didnt make sense to me either. I tested a TFII in an FT-03 a month or so ago, and I was getting temps 20 degrees over that in an Arc Mini with pretty similar CFM.

Smokey

It's a little late to bring this up, but I've been reading the ongoing saga of Smokey and his video card/Silverstone case problems over the past few months, and the argument that his high GTX580 temperatures were caused by hot air blowing around in the case never rang true to me. I have a Silverstone RV02, which is essentially a cheaper version of the FT02, and the thing is designed like a chimney. Cool air comes in from the entire bottom of the case and exhaust out the top. Unless the FT02 has fewer openings than the Raven, there should be plenty of air to escape, and since hot air rises, I'd expect the case to be as good, if not better, at getting hot air out quickly than most other cases.

After doing a little research, I think the issue is less the airflow in the case and more the heat pipe design of that particular card (and some other non-reference coolers). If you look at the picture below of an MSI Lightning 580, you'll see that the heatsink is near the PCI-slot end of the card (the right side). When positioned horizontally, the heat flow laterally along the heat pipes to the aluminum fins, which are then cooled by the fans. When hung vertically, heat has to transfer down the pipes, which it generally doesn't want to do. I think what's happening is that most of the heat remains in the top half of the card instead of being diffused among the entire cooler.

UzBKF.jpg

The ASUS DirectCU 580 card has a similar heat-pipe design, and would presumbly have the same problem. Hopefully Smokey will have better luck with his new case, provided he doesn't strangle himself with his unruly power cables.

Thanks for that pic. I think what you said is spot on. I know for a fact that the FT02 is a very good case. Hell it should be for $250. It just doesn't vibe well with the type of card I have. Apparently it's even listed in the Silverstone FT02 FAQ. My extension cables will be here tomorrow and hopefully I can finish this.

Don't realize how much I miss the Beast until it's gone :(

Thanks for that pic. I think what you said is spot on. I know for a fact that the FT02 is a very good case. Hell it should be for $250. It just doesn't vibe well with the type of card I have. Apparently it's even listed in the Silverstone FT02 FAQ. My extension cables will be here tomorrow and hopefully I can finish this.

Don't realize how much I miss the Beast until it's gone :(

good bye FT02. i hardly knew ye. :(

mkenyon

Banned
Is there a decent Mini ITX Intel board for gaming enthusiasts?

I can't seem to find any.
This is about as close as you get. Lots of bad reviews though, which makes me really nervous. Some folks seem to have no problems with it though.

I heard rumors of a Gigabyte Z68 ITX board, but I haven't seen it available anywhere.

If you don't mind a gaming rig that you can't overclock, you can grab just about any decently reviewed ITX board.
it really sucks the ft02 only has only one exhaust fan. i would've bought yours if there was an optional second.

ah well, fractal r3 here i come.
Out of curiosity, why is the lack of a second exhaust fan the deal killer? The case works on the principle of positive pressure and the natural tendency for heat to rise. Basically, the hot air is pushed out of every little nook and bit of mesh. It's an excellent case for cooling, just not for non-reference cards.

scogoth

This is about as close as you get. Lots of bad reviews though, which makes me really nervous. Some folks seem to have no problems with it though.

I heard rumors of a Gigabyte Z68 ITX board, but I haven't seen it available anywhere.

If you don't mind a gaming rig that you can't overclock, you can grab just about any decently reviewed ITX board.

Out of curiosity, why is the lack of a second exhaust fan the deal killer? The case works on the principle of positive pressure and the natural tendency for heat to rise. Basically, the hot air is pushed out of every little nook and bit of mesh. It's an excellent case for cooling, just not for non-reference cards.

I've built with the zotac, pretty bad as an overclocking platform but it does work with some coaxing. Zotac's bios is shit and their support is pretty bad. Unfortunately there aren't any other boards in this space.

Smokey

He has my ASUS 580 DCII that I sold him and as you probably know both of our cards have the same type of non-reference exhaust.

me and smokey have the same non reference 580s. with my current rig, i have my 580 and 2600k overclocked. i need a case that will dissipate heat efficiently. i have an older cooler master centurion 5 case which doesn't dissipate heat effectively.
i really like the ft03. its quiet its pretty.
unless you can persuade me otherwise about he ft02, would a fractal r3 be better at cooling?

TheExodu5

Banned

UzBKF.jpg

I would assume what's happening is that gravity is counteracting the design of the heatpipes and is keeping the liquid inside the pipe lower to the ground. It's unable to fight gravity and spread away from the contact plate.

vaelic

Banned
looking to put the following on craigs list. How much do you think I should ask for?

ASUS P5B MB
INTEL Q6600
4 GIGS RAM
CREATIVE X-FI SOUND CARD

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
$200 and take $180 or lower.
$250 and take $180 depending on your CL experiences.

No fun to sell those parts and buyers have to be wary they are all functional. I'd suggest anandtech, [H], or eBay

mkenyon

Banned
i really like the ft03. its quiet its pretty.
unless you can persuade me otherwise about he ft03, would a fractal r3 be better at cooling?
FT-03 has the same 90 degree issue that the FT-02 does. Additionally, it's a mATX case, which isn't a problem if you have a mATX board. Otherwise your motherboard won't fit.

vaelic

Banned
$200 and take $180 or lower.
$250 and take $180 depending on your CL experiences.

No fun to sell those parts and buyers have to be wary they are all functional. I'd suggest anandtech, [H], or eBay

thanks man. What about if I add this p/s to the mix? How much additional?

coolmax CUG-700B

There's a few really nice detailed G5 build logs on overclock.net, you might get some good ideas in there.

Thanks for the tip. Is there a specific log that's worth checking out?

I'll never build something like this:
topback.jpeg

But a proper log for this build would be nice. I'll search a bit more, maybe I can find it.

JVIDICAN

I have the HD 6780 now, but I'm a little confused. The Instruction pamphlet is completely useless too. :/
I apparently need 2 6pin power connectors for the card(not even mentioned in the pamphlet).
The only 6 pins I have left are the 8Pin (6+2PIN)PCI and a PCI-Express cable. Will these work?

EDIT:
So I guess the 6 Pin from the 8-PIN PCI is fine.. I still have no idea about this other one. It has a red end that plugs into the red 12V3 socket on the PSU, and aside from that looks like a normal 6-PIN connector

mkenyon

Banned
I have the HD 6780 now, but I'm a little confused. The Instruction pamphlet is completely useless too. :/
I apparently need 2 6pin power connectors for the card(not even mentioned in the pamphlet).
The only 6 pins I have left are the 8Pin (6+2PIN)PCI and a PCI-Express cable. Will these work?

EDIT:
So I guess the 6 Pin from the 8-PIN PCI is fine.. I still have no idea about this other one. It has a red end that plugs into the red 12V3 socket on the PSU, and aside from that looks like a normal 6-PIN connector
Yeah, they will both work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom