• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2011 Thread of reading the OP. Seriously. [Part 2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gawaian

So I can get a brand new 5870 for $100. Would that card be good enough to play the most recent games at 1080p with AA and AF or should I spend more and get a 6950/70(?)? This is going to be my first build...

clav

Gawaian said:
So I can get a brand new 5870 for $100. Would that card be good enough to play the most recent games at 1080p with AA and AF or should I spend more and get a 6950/70(?)? This is going to be my first build...
Depends how much you want to spend on a graphics card.

5870 is damn cheap at that price. If you so desire AA and AF, then you'll have to spend more.

vilmer_

Sweet baby Jesus is newegg Canada's shipping ever fast. I'm getting stuff in less than 24 hours! Ordered some RAM from ncix yesterday morning and even though it's in stock, it still hasn't shipped ugh.

RS4-

Meus,

41uKY.jpg

I couldn't pick out a case for you, unsure as to what you were looking for if it was looks, cooling, silence, etc.

The 560TI is good, you still save quite a bit of money compared to the 570.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/251205 this 6950 might be a reference card; I can't tell aside from the black PCB with the AMD logo on it and the red fan/cooler located near the back. If it is, then it can be flashed to a 6970, thus getting more bang for your buck. But a safe route is just getting something like the 560. I'm not particularly sure about the other vendors for the GPU though.

There isn't that much of a difference between ram, so I picked out the cheaper GSkill ones over the Corsair Vengeance. The two Samsung HDDs are faster, reliable and you still get the same amount of HDD space.

The Corsair series PSUs are right up there with the Seasonic ones. You'll have enough power and cables to support everything you throw at it until you start adding a second GPU for whatever reason. If you wanted a third, you'd need to buy a different motherboard. As most of us have said, it's better to get one graphics card.

So yeah, you're just missing a new monitor if you want one, a case and a dvd drive.

edit - I couldn't find a decent heatsink/cooler for your processor, the site didn't have the Coolermaster 212+

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Gawaian said:

I've had a 5870 1GB since it launched and it's a great card. I generally play at 1920x1200 and it performance is great in almost every game with max AF and 2x AA (or sometimes even 4x AA).

Kyaw

Ogs said:
So GAF, i have ordered this laptop -

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-C660-10D/1095328

Completely for general PC use and not gaming, but 1 cant help but wonder, what gaming options would this give me ? Im not talking modern stuff, but things like Torchlight. Just interested is all, i dont have any expectations gaming wise from it :)

You should be able to play Torchlight and some other games at low settings. (Don't expect much though)

mkenyon

Banned
Ogs said:
So GAF, i have ordered this laptop -

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/product/Satellite-C660-10D/1095328

Completely for general PC use and not gaming, but 1 cant help but wonder, what gaming options would this give me ? Im not talking modern stuff, but things like Torchlight. Just interested is all, i dont have any expectations gaming wise from it :)
Popcap and GoG will be your best friends.

Gawaian said:
Deal of the century.

MRORANGE

I have a pc I made in 2008 but the gpu seems to be getting old and overheats from time to time (ATI 4850 512MB) I am going to build a new pc next year, would it make sense to buy one now or should I wait for next year?

I don't mind playing games at medium settings @ 1680x1050, this is what I want to play :

MW3 (should be fine)
BF3 (not sure, tech demo usd gt580)
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (not sure)
Dead Island (not sure)
Rage (not sure)

I would much prefer waiting until next year, so I can get the latest gear but if the 4850 is not going to run these games at least on medium I may need to look at a new card in the meantime, what do you guys think?

mkenyon

Banned
MRORANGE said:
I have a pc I made in 2008 but the gpu seems to be getting old and overheats from time to time (ATI 4850 512MB) I am going to build a new pc next year, would it make sense to buy one now or should I wait for next year?

I don't mind playing games at medium settings @ 1680x1050, this is what I want to play :

MW3 (should be fine)
Dead Island (not sure)
Rage (not sure)

I would much prefer waiting until next year, so I can get the latest gear but if the 4850 is not going to run these games at least on medium I may need to look at a new card in the meantime, what do you guys think?
What's the rest of the system?

CaLe

Hey guys,

Alright, I'm really getting desperate here...

Ever since I got my new system, I keep getting random BSODs.

The error given is always the same : INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

6td8p3.jpg

Now, I did overclock my i5 2500k, but I followed a guide online and I also didn't do anything crazy. I just did the usual 4.5 ghz overclock with a voltage of around 1.34 if I remember correctly.

What do you think might be causing this problem ?

Do you have any tools that I can use to help me figure out what's wrong ?

Thanks, I really appreciate it...

CaLe

ace22b said:
Does it happen when not overclocked? If not that's your problem.

I'll try with the CPU not overclocked, but the i5 2500k were actually meant to be overclocked.

Also, the BSOD happens most often when doing a cold boot and then the system is relatively stable.

Let's say that the problem is the overclock, does that mean the problem is with the CPU ? Isn't that model meant to be overclocked ?

Can't it be my memory, SSD or HDD ?

knitoe

CaLe said:
I'll try with the CPU not overclocked, but the i5 2500k were actually meant to be overclocked.

Also, the BSOD happens most often when doing a cold boot and then the system is relatively stable.

Let's say that the problem is the overclock, does that mean the problem is with the CPU ? Isn't that model meant to be overclocked ?

Did you run Prime95 to make sure it's a stable overclock? What MB and bios version? Have you updated to latest MB bios? Have you run memtest to test your ram?

mkenyon

Banned
CaLe said:

Just because a CPU is meant to be overclocked does not mean that your overclock is stable. Thats like 90% of overclocking: finding a stable OC with specific parameters. You have another system to test stuff in?

ithorien

CaLe said:
Hey guys,

Alright, I'm really getting desperate here...

Ever since I got my new system, I keep getting random BSODs.

The error given is always the same : INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

6td8p3.jpg

Now, I did overclock my i5 2500k, but I followed a guide online and I also didn't do anything crazy. I just did the usual 4.5 ghz overclock with a voltage of around 1.34 if I remember correctly.

What do you think might be causing this problem ?

Do you have any tools that I can use to help me figure out what's wrong ?

Thanks, I really appreciate it...

Check out blue screen viewer, see if you can narrow it down to a driver. Google reveals that it happens infrequently and usually related to drivers, AHCI specifically.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/6327a06a-ada1-4413-9e96-a0f62d373150/

Slavik81

vilmer_ said:
Sweet baby Jesus is newegg Canada's shipping ever fast. I'm getting stuff in less than 24 hours! Ordered some RAM from ncix yesterday morning and even though it's in stock, it still hasn't shipped ugh.
Really? Sounds like a huge improvement. I had to wait 2 weeks for my stuff to travel by ground from California when I built my computer 2 years ago.

Kyaw

A quick google on the mv91xx.sys bsod returned problems related with Marvell AHCI/RAID driver.

Maybe update that?
Which motherboard have you got?

CaLe

I absolutely love you guys, thanks for all the suggestions.

ithorien said:
Check out blue screen viewer, see if you can narrow it down to a driver. Google reveals that it happens infrequently and usually related to drivers, AHCI specifically.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/6327a06a-ada1-4413-9e96-a0f62d373150/

Kyaw said:
A quick google on the mv91xx.sys bsod returned problems related with Marvell AHCI/RAID driver.

Maybe update that?
Which motherboard have you got?

Ithorien and Kyaw, you guys hit the jackpot. It seems that indeed that was the problem. I updated the driver and now I'm crossing my fingers that I won't get any BSOD anymore.

Thanks so much.

knitoe said:
Did you run Prime95 to make sure it's a stable overclock? What MB and bios version? Have you updated to latest MB bios? Have you run memtest to test your ram?

I actually ran Prime95 for about 30-45 min. Is that enough..? Should I have ran it for a longer period of time?

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Version: 04/06/2011

I actually didn't try memtest, I'll still try it even though it seems the problem was with the Marvell driver.

mkenyon said:
Just because a CPU is meant to be overclocked does not mean that your overclock is stable. Thats like 90% of overclocking: finding a stable OC with specific parameters. You have another system to test stuff in?

I do have another system, but its a very old one, I doubt it will do me any good :/

But I agree, maybe my voltage aren't correct, but I did follow a guide on HardForum. I'll try and run Prime95 for a longer period of time.

Hopefully the problem was the Marvell driver though !

Well just got my logitech illuminated keyboard, and gotta say I am impressed with it. Was really shocked at how hefty it felt, despite being really thin, thanks for the input exodus, :)

knitoe

CaLe said:
I actually ran Prime95 for about 30-45 min. Is that enough..? Should I have ran it for a longer period of time?

Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V Pro
Version: 04/06/2011

I actually didn't try memtest, I'll still try it even though it seems the problem was with the Marvell driver.

I do have another system, but its a very old one, I doubt it will do me any good :/

But I agree, maybe my voltage aren't correct, but I did follow a guide on HardForum. I'll try and run Prime95 for a longer period of time.

Hopefully the problem was the Marvell driver though !
Run prime for few hours at least. If you are not using the Marvell port, disable the controller in the bios. Your startup time will be quicker.

CaLe

knitoe said:
Run prime for few hours at least. If you are not using the Marvell port, disable the controller in the bios. Your startup time will be quicker.

What exactly is the Marvell port ? And what is it used for ? Raid ?

Sorry for the noobish questions :)

MRORANGE

MW3 (should be fine)
Dead Island (not sure)
Rage (not sure)

mkenyon said:
What's the rest of the system?

q6600 at 3.00ghz, 4gb ram

knitoe

CaLe said:
What exactly is the Marvell port ? And what is it used for ? Raid ?

Sorry for the noobish questions :)
On the MB, you have 8 Sata ports. From bottom up, 4x Intel Sata 3G/s (light blue), 2x Intel Sata 6GB/s (white) and 2x Marvell 6 GB/s (dark blue). I recommend you stick to Intel ports because the Marvell controller isn't very good. Thus, if you don't need those ports, you can disable the controller in the bios.

CaLe

knitoe said:
On the MB, you have 8 Sata ports. From bottom up, 4x Intel Sata 3G/s (light blue), 2x Intel Sata 6GB/s (white) and 2x Marvell 6 GB/s (dark blue). I recommend you stick to Intel ports because the Marvell controller isn't very good. Thus, if you don't need those ports, you can disable the controller in the bios.

Thanks Knitoe ! I would have never figured that out.

Much appreciated.

Well my Pc told me I had to update my Win 7 to Service Pack 1(x64).... problem seems there seems to be a noticeable hit on my pc's performance.

Is this normal?

It takes longer to load anything.

squicken

CaLe said:

Much appreciated.

Who makes your SSD. All sorts of issues with the most recent Sandforce drives. OCZ's forums must have 10 stickies dedicated to work-arounds

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Meus Renaissance said:
4s0l0x.jpg

My current Dell E207WFP is several years old but I love it. It goes to 1680x1050. Do higher res monitors provide a noticeably better visual experience? I can sell my current machine for around £350-£400 so it'll go towards directly funding this project. I can't wait to start building it. Will probably be able to get it around October
I saw the updated list, but I'd get a 550W (XFX Core) or the 750W XFX (Same as the Corsair modular and usually cheaper) if you want to run 2 cards down the line).
SRG01 said:
Is there a real difference between the CSM and UEFI boards?

http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59829
http://ncix.com/products/?sku=59828
It says in the name and you can also go to ASUS and type the models in and hit the compare button.
HDMI/Optical out
MRORANGE said:
q6600 at 3.00ghz, 4gb ram
Picking up a GPU would be fine now since we aren't expecting anything for a while. 460/560/6950/570 based on price. 460 and 6950 better values.
Futurevoid said:
Looks like looks are a big part of your build?
I don't think the V6 coolers better than the CM 212+ if you want to save something there.
G.Skill Sniper RAM will have a better shot at clearing that heatsink and look nicer imo.
Sabertooth I'm guessing is for looks too, you can save a bit on the mobo with a PRO or the ASRock in the OP. If you still want black the GigaByte motherboards have cheaper black PCB's too. (I've seen the Sabertooth in person though, looks amazing)
I'd get a 570 with all you are spending personally.
Intel 510 SSD. Problems happening with Sandforce right now. An Intel 320 120GB will do well, although it is not SLC.

Good parts, just looking to save you a bit, nothing wrong with the build!

Emily Chu

Banned
can anyone recommend a gaming laptop best for the money @ 800$ at the moment ?

Thanks

4GB ram

a decent gpu ?

must be able to play COD MW2 MW3, TF2.

i5 2nd gen ?

clav

CaLe said:

Much appreciated.
It does say all of this in the motherboard user manual.

I read it when I was building my friend's.

CaLe

squicken said:
Who makes your SSD. All sorts of issues with the most recent Sandforce drives. OCZ's forums must have 10 stickies dedicated to work-arounds

Mine is a Crucial C400 128 GB. :)

claviertekky said:
It does say all of this in the motherboard user manual.

I read it when I was building my friend's.

NCIX built it for me, didn't have time or the patience to build this system. I come home late at night from work, last thing I wanted to do this time was assemble it.

I did build my first two systems though.

botlite

Mr Nightman said:
Well just got my logitech illuminated keyboard, and gotta say I am impressed with it. Was really shocked at how hefty it felt, despite being really thin, thanks for the input exodus, :)

I got one too for my new build but the wife saw it and took it for herself.

It has no problems with w+shift+space and many other combinations either so Exodus was right about that too.

LEGGZZZZ

Gaf, can you tell me what you think about these specs for my first gaming pc :)

Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-970 six-core [3.2GHz, 1.5MB L2 + 12MB shared L3 cache]

9GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 1TB

1GB DDR5 Radeon HD 6850 [2 DVI, 2 mini-DP, HDMI. VGA adapter]

460W Power supply

Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner

Wireless-N LAN card (1x1)

15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, audio

Sorry for the extra details, thinking about buying this HP set, but I'm a complete noob at pc gaming/set ups, does this sound like a machine capable of running Battlefield 3 well/decently? Thanks for any help.

Chris R

LEGGZZZZ said:
Gaf, can you tell me what you think about these specs for my first gaming pc :)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-970 six-core [3.2GHz, 1.5MB L2 + 12MB shared L3 cache]

9GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [3 DIMMs]
1.5TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive from 1TB

1GB DDR5 Radeon HD 6850 [2 DVI, 2 mini-DP, HDMI. VGA adapter]

Sorry for the extra details, thinking about buying this HP set, but I'm a complete noob at pc gaming/set ups, does this sound like a machine capable of running Battlefield 3 well/decently? Thanks for any help.
The i5 2500k is a much better deal than the i7-970. Sure it isn't as powerful, but it will still be plenty for BF3. And with the money you save you can upgrade to a better GPU (6970/570/580).

That's just me talking though. I'm sure others will come along and explain in more detail what can be done to make you a better computer.

Ditch that i7-970 and get the i7-2600k instead. You'll do yourself a favor by saving nearly $300 for better performance/future-proofing.

9GB is overkill and is such a weird number. 4GB is gonna be fine. 6GB-8GB if you feel like you got extra money to burn but it'll barely help performance.

LEGGZZZZ

Wolf Akela said:
Ditch that i7-970 and get the i7-2600k instead. You'll do yourself a favor by saving nearly $300 for better performance/future-proofing.

9GB is overkill and is such a weird number. 4GB is gonna be fine. 6GB-8GB if you feel like you got extra money to burn but it'll barely help performance.

How do you think that build would do though, even on battlefield bad company 2 for instance? Would you suggest buying a slighty cheaper pc, and buying the i7-2600k sperately myself and installing? I have no idea how this stuff works, trying to do some research.

ElyrionX

Tweaked my setup to the following:

Intel i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL9
MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Intel 320 Series 160GB
Samsung 1TB F3 7200RPM
Seasonic X Series 660W
Corsair 650D
Windows 7 Home Premium

Question on OS. For general home usage and gaming, Win 7 Home Premium will do right?

Any other feedback on this build?

Hazaro said:
Looks like looks are a big part of your build?
I don't think the V6 coolers better than the CM 212+ if you want to save something there.
G.Skill Sniper RAM will have a better shot at clearing that heatsink and look nicer imo.
Sabertooth I'm guessing is for looks too, you can save a bit on the mobo with a PRO or the ASRock in the OP. If you still want black the GigaByte motherboards have cheaper black PCB's too. (I've seen the Sabertooth in person though, looks amazing)
I'd get a 570 with all you are spending personally.
Intel 510 SSD. Problems happening with Sandforce right now. An Intel 320 120GB will do well, although it is not SLC.
Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

I changed out the cooler as recommended. Same for the RAM. Also changed over to the Asrock Exteme 4 as it was cheaper. I wasn't going to originally because I do so love the look of the Sabretooth, but frankly the extra money saved allowed me to add the Intel 510 120GB SSD. It all equaled out to the same price.

I may muster an extra bit of cash for a 570 but I'll have to check the bank (i.e. wife).

ElyrionX said:
Tweaked my setup to the following:

Intel i5 2500k
Asus P8P67 Pro
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 CL9
MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II
Intel 320 Series 160GB
Samsung 1TB F3 7200RPM
Seasonic X Series 660W
Corsair 650D
Windows 7 Home Premium

Question on OS. For general home usage and gaming, Win 7 Home Premium will do right?

Any other feedback on this build?
Looks solid imo.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The Bookerman said:
Well my Pc told me I had to update my Win 7 to Service Pack 1(x64).... problem seems there seems to be a noticeable hit on my pc's performance.

Is this normal?

It takes longer to load anything.
Looks like some others have the same problem. System restore to before the SP1 update. lmk if you find anything out.
ElyrionX said:
Between the Intel 320 160GB and the 510 120GB, which shall I go for?
Depends on your usage imo.
The 320 120GB I have no is pretty darn fast already, don't know how noticeable the extra speed will be in actual usage.

GAF Please help me decide, I recently upgraded my GPU in my PC, my old Video card is a 9600GT, and there's a guy who's willing to buy it off me for $60 today! last night I decided to try to use the card as a Physx card, I successful installed it; Windows 7 and my motherboard seems to not mind the two Nvidia cards I got runnin simultaneously, I didn't notice any performance difference on Portal 2 and Just Cause 2 I played...I don't have any games installed at the moment that support Physx.

My question is, what should I do? should I keep it, is it really a good thing to have a dedicated Physx GPU? My Main and current GPU is a GTX 560 Ti by the way, it's a decent card and by itself it's more than capable of running games alright.

So what's a better option? $60 for my old 9600 GT? (probably the best price I will get for it.)

Or leave it in my PC and wait for Batman Arkham city etc. or Battlefield 3 to utilize it?

Is there a huge performance difference (boost) with a dedicated Physx GPU?

Wallach

EricHasNoPull said:
GAF Please help me decide, I recently upgraded my GPU in my PC, my old Video card is a 9600GT, and there's a guy who's willing to buy it off me for $60 today! last night I decided to try to use the card as a Physx card, I successful installed it; Windows 7 and my motherboard seems to not mind the two Nvidia cards I got runnin simultaneously, I didn't notice any performance difference on Portal 2 and Just Cause 2 I played...I don't have any games installed at the moment that support Physx.

My question is, what should I do? should I keep it, is it really a good thing to have a dedicated Physx GPU? My Main and current GPU is a GTX 560 Ti by the way, it's a decent card and by itself it's more than capable of running games alright.

So what's a better option? $60 for my old 9600 GT? (probably the best price I will get for it.)

Or leave it in my PC and wait for Batman Arkham city etc. or Battlefield 3 to utilize it?

Is there a huge performance difference (boost) with a dedicated Physx GPU?

I'd probably sell it since the price is pretty good. A 9600GT is pretty much as low as you'd ever want to go for a PhysX-dedicated card, and even then your 560 Ti can probably handle most games today by itself. Maybe if your main GPU was weaker it would be worth it, but in your case I'd sell it.

Kyaw

Sell it. Physx games are not the norm these days.
Even if one supports it, your 560Ti is powerful enough to handle both tasks.

If you really want a Physx card, get a 9800gtx or similar.
For $60 you might be able to buy a good aftermarket CPU cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom