• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

scitek

Is it an older board like the Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3? Cause I have that board and looked around. It's absolutely useless. You actually lose a couple frames with it in benchmarks. And it's obsolete in purpose. It would have been cool to run integrated graphics when idle back when GPUs didn't downvolt when idle, but now that they do, it really is pointless.

But are you saying the MVP and virtual v-sync is just software you can run? I thought that was limited to the new z77 boards? Or is that what you have?

I can use MVP with my Z68 board. It raised my 3DMark11 score by 2000 points, but there's no tangible difference that I can notice in games with Hyperformance on. Virtual Vsync does work, though, but it stutters compared to vsync/triple buffering. What I wasn't sure of is what the normal, non-MVP version of the software does. Since my license will expire soon on MVP, I'd be stuck having to use that instead, and I honestly have no clue what it does.

1-D_FTW

I can use MVP with my Z68 board. It raised my 3DMark11 score by 2000 points, but there's no tangible difference that I can notice in games with Hyperformance on. Virtual Vsync does work, though, but it stutters compared to vsync/triple buffering. What I wasn't sure of is what the normal, non-MVP version of the software does. Since my license will expire soon on MVP, I'd be stuck having to use that instead, and I honestly have no clue what it does.

Well that's a deal killer.

As I mentioned in my original post, I'm pretty sure it just uses the IGP when your doing idle work (word processing, web browsing) and then switches to the discrete GPU when the demand is there (gaming).

Problem is twofold: #1.) As you mentioned, for gaming, it actually costs you a couple frames in real world applications. And introduces a layer of sludge in the whole driver process #2.) It's pointless. There was a time when GPUs ran at full voltage and this would have been a cool energy savings solution. But recent GPUs all down-volt when idle (assuming you're using just one monitor), so it's really pointless now-a-days.

Fletcher

Hey, dudes. So i'm pretty computer illiterate and haven't been into PC gaming in some time. I really want to play Diablo 3 next month. Like really really want to. Would the "budget" pc or "standard" listed in the first post be a solid PC to build to do this? I'm not super interested in it looking FUCK AWESOME, just run smoothly and look good. Would it be ok for games in the future, too? Thanks, guys.

Looking at all this, the NZXT Phantom is a fine case and Windows 7 64bit is exactly what you want. If you can hang on just a little longer the mid-range Kepler GTX 6 series cards will be a much better buy. Also, do you really need the i7 3930K? An i7 2600K or i5 2500k will do plenty when overclocked.
For motherboards just check the list in the OP, there's some really nice ones in there like Asus P8Z68 PRO/GEN3.

When are the mid-range Kepler supposed to be coming out? I just bought a 560 2GB less than 2 weeks ago. I have 45 days to exchange it at Best Buy, so if these come out soon I may go that route. Will the mid range Kepler GTX 6 series be that much better than a 560?

Anyone ever run into problems with their Intel Gigabit ethernet controller not wanting to connect at Gigabit speeds? My motherboard died yesterday, it was a Asus P8P67 with a realtek Gigabit controller, replaced it with an Asus P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3. The previous motherboard had no problem connecting at gigabit speeds, but the new one refuses to.

LordAlu

When are the mid-range Kepler supposed to be coming out? I just bought a 560 2GB less than 2 weeks ago. I have 45 days to exchange it at Best Buy, so if these come out soon I may go that route. Will the mid range Kepler GTX 6 series be that much better than a 560?
From what I remember it's meant to be mid-May. They likely won't be massively better, but they will be more efficient, and as such also run cooler and quieter.

From what I remember it's meant to be mid-May. They likely won't be massively better, but they will be more efficient, and as such also run cooler and quieter.

The 560 is pretty quiet, I can only imagine how much quieter these new line of cards are. I had the GTS 250 before and now that would get loud.

If it's mid-May I might just stick it out with this then since its been a pretty good card so far.

AppleMIX

I'm upgrading my computer again but I'm not sure what to upgrade.

CPU INTEL|CORE I3 2100 3.1G
4 GIGS of RAM
GTX 465

Any suggestions?

scitek

Well that's a deal killer.

As I mentioned in my original post, I'm pretty sure it just uses the IGP when your doing idle work (word processing, web browsing) and then switches to the discrete GPU when the demand is there (gaming).

Problem is twofold: #1.) As you mentioned, for gaming, it actually costs you a couple frames in real world applications. And introduces a layer of sludge in the whole driver process #2.) It's pointless. There was a time when GPUs ran at full voltage and this would have been a cool energy savings solution. But recent GPUs all down-volt when idle (assuming you're using just one monitor), so it's really pointless now-a-days.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Yeah, it feels like using VSync without triple buffering turned on or something. It's not smooth like a game locked to 60fps, but to its credit there isn't any tearing, which is what it promises to deliver.

Also, it does increase the response time in some of my games, most notably Dead Space, which has hellacious controller lag for me with Vsync/triple buffering on--it's seriously awful--but with the MVP software, that's significantly improved. I still have it installed, but I guess I'll not bother with it anymore since it does seem pretty pointless.

1-D_FTW

Ah ok, that makes sense. Yeah, it feels like using VSync without triple buffering turned on or something. It's not smooth like a game locked to 60fps, but to its credit there isn't any tearing, which is what it promises to deliver.

Also, it does increase the response time in some of my games, most notably Dead Space, which has hellacious controller lag for me with Vsync/triple buffering on--it's seriously awful--but with the MVP software, that's significantly improved. I still have it installed, but I guess I'll not bother with it anymore since it does seem pretty pointless.

Well the MVP is more involved than what I described. I guess they're working in tandem for the "virtual v-sync" and stuff. It's the older stuff (free) that's only using either the IGP or GPU depending on load.

But really, unless the "virtual v-sync" is something worth paying the money for, yeah, it's not worth using. And from what you describe, as much as input lag annoys me, I find it less objectionable than stuttering that loses that 60fps smoothness.

Hey guys.

Need your help one more time. Going through with building the PC for my elderly Aunt and Uncle and I'd like to order the parts today since Newegg has promotions for 10-15% off everything.

This is what I've got:

p2ixV.png

One of the monitors will be taken out once I talk to them about whether they wanted 23" or 24" since I forget. Their uses will be basic and with no gaming other than web apps, etc. Most use will be scanning photos and organizing them, browsing the web, and typing up some documents.

Am I going overboard with this build or is there anything you would add/remove?

Get them something prebuilt.

NoRéN

Hello again. So, slowly but surely staring to buy the stuff for my first build. I'm trying to save as much as possible so bear with me.

For Motherboard: I'm trying to decide between
ASRock H61M-VS
http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-H61M-VS-Intel-Micro-Motherboard/dp/B004S9JXPW
or
ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM
http://www.amazon.com/P8H61-M-CSM-REV-3-0-Motherboard/dp/B004SUO3SS

The difference is only about $15-20 depending on price fluctuations.

My question is: is the difference in performance significant? Would that extra $20 for the ASUS Motherboard be worth it in the long run?

schwupp

ram question:
which ram would you buy for the below system? my idea was G Skill DDR3 1333 Mhz CL9 8 gig (2x kit).
is there a big difference between the different CL levels?

Asus P8H61 PRO
Intel Core i5 2400
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560

Wazzim

Banned
Hey, dudes. So i'm pretty computer illiterate and haven't been into PC gaming in some time. I really want to play Diablo 3 next month. Like really really want to. Would the "budget" pc or "standard" listed in the first post be a solid PC to build to do this? I'm not super interested in it looking FUCK AWESOME, just run smoothly and look good. Would it be ok for games in the future, too? Thanks, guys.
Standard would give you great performance with Diablo 3. Future games should run decent too.

nocode

Hello all. I'm looking to build my first PC from scratch later this month, and was hoping someone here with more knowledge than me could just take a look and tell me if I've made any bad choices. I am pretty confident that I can build it without too much trouble. I have upgraded my current PC many, many times, but it is time to take her out back and put her down. Original parts were bought in 2001, and I have salvaged parts from various pc's that friends and family were getting rid of over the years. Anyway, I'd like to be able to play Diablo 3, and Civ 5 at decent settings in the short term, and then upgrade my GPU later this year some time. Here is what I have picked out. Any feedback/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB Video Card
Case: BitFenix Shinobi Window ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: XFX 550W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Total: $638.39

I already have the GPU on the way b/c of the sale (came with a copy of Dirt 3), and I also have a Microcenter nearby that is selling the i5 for $180, so the total will come out to a little less than the $638.39. I'm hoping to pick up a monitor on sale sometime this month.

Really looking forward to putting this together and firing it up for the first time!

mkenyon

Banned
Looks good!

I'd suggest grabbing an extra fan or two for the Shinobi though. BitFenix's own Spectre Pro's are really nice.

gate777

So I took the plunge and started with my build.

Here's what I've purchased so far:
Case- Cooler master HAF 912
CPU- Intel core i5 2500K
Memory- Corsair vengeance 1600 DDR3 1.5V (2x4GB)
Heat sink- Cooler master hyper 212 evo
Power - Cooler master eXtreme power plus 600W
Monitor- Asus VE228 22" 1920x1080
+ extra case fan

Future purchases:
Motherboard- Asus P8Z68 V/Gen 3
Hard Drive- WD Blue SATA III 500GB
OS- W7 Home Premium 64bit
Optical drive- Asus Blu-ray burner

GPU will come a little later.

dmann

I am running out of hard drive space on my computer. What's a good hard drive brand to get? Could anyone recommend me a good drive 2tb+, are prices still sky high? BTW this will be used mainly for storage.

MrBig

I am running out of hard drive space on my computer. What's a good hard drive brand to get? Could anyone recommend me a good drive 2tb+, are prices still sky high? BTW this will be used mainly for storage.

Prices are still double what they were before they went up. I personally wouldn't recommend anything besides WD. You can grab a green, since this is just for storage. $140 for 2tb on NCIX.
Check Slickdeals to see if there's a better price somewhere.

Just noticed the mini display port on the EVGA z77 FTW board. Thunderbolt with 4way SLI support and enough aux power to melt your CPU and GPU? Sorry asus/rog, see you later.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00677/
Thunderbolt? I'd love to see that supported on any intel board, but I don't see it on the spec sheet. And I'm sure the cost of this board would be more than a similar Z77 Asus. Asus Z77-V boards support 4-way SLI and (some models) have mini display ports.

scogoth

Just noticed the mini display port on the EVGA z77 FTW board. Thunderbolt with 4way SLI support and enough aux power to melt your CPU and GPU? Sorry asus/rog, see you later.

GraveHorizon

poop meter feature creep
Finally finished installing most of the drivers and programs on my desktop last night. Had some trouble with the disc that came with the Blu-ray RE drive; it wouldn't run or copy anything off it at all, so I had to copy everything onto a flash drive on my laptop first. Also installed CCleaner, Firefox (with that RAM trick), and Microsoft Security Essentials. The Action Center notification thing is still telling me I need to set a backup. Is it better to use a disc for that, or do it onto the 1TB drive for convenience?

Ran Minecraft as well, and it's looking real good. I'm getting a solid 60 fps on Fancy and Far, so amazing. I'm going to download that copy of Dirt 3 that came with the graphics card, but first I need to get Steam. Should I install Steam on the SSD and use Steam Mover/Tool to move games, or should I try to move Steam to the HDD as said in this due to Valve games not being transferable? I don't want a bunch of games taking up space on my 64GB SSD, which only has about 38GB of free space left after the OS install, and I read that Valve games can't be moved because of their files or something (I plan on getting the Valve Complete Pack). I want to be sure where I'm putting everything before I jump into installing it.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Can anyone recommend me a great monitor, around 27" or so? I picked one up alongside my new rig and am not in love with it really. It's the HP 2711x I think. It's a 27" LED panel, but the black levels are not very good at all. When playing in dark scenes, the blacks are pretty darn gray. With a glossy screen monitor, usually blacks are deeper, at least my Samsung HDTV is and it has a glossy screen. Not so in this case.

I want a 27" at LEAST, but don't want to pay much for it. Actually, my budget is $300 tops I think. So I'm a bit limited for sure.

At this point I'm thinking of just hooking up my 46" gaming HDTV with superior black levels and using that instead. Though, it is probably way too big for as close as I'll be sitting. I think 4-5 feet as a guess. Maybe not even that much!

asdad123

I know that this may be a weird thing to ask, but if anyone has a HAF 912 that has an extra drive bay cover, Im missing one and cant seem to find it anyway. I would buy one straight from the CM store, but theyre out of stock.

http://www.cmstore-usa.com/haf-932-5-25-cover-oem-package/

That one is for the 932, but I think theyre all the same.

I figure posting this here would get more exposure with PC people than the BST thread.

Do you guys have a recommendation for a video card around $150-170 range for this PC? :)

ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G
Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz
750W Corsair TX
8GB ram

I want to be able to play all games at high settings. 60 fps not necessary.

Willing to go over the price if necessary...

kharma45

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU (got a 5770 at the minute) and I can get a GTX 560Ti 448 for near £160 or so, should I jump on it at that price, go for a 7850 or wait off?

A 7850 is around £25-30 more.

So I don't understand why Logitech is incapable of manufacturing a mouse which doesn't glitch out from time to time (almost always failing to recognize diagonal upper-right movements sporadically once in a blue moon). My current G500 has been pretty good about this, but last week it did this shit twice on me while playing Dota 2.

Who makes mice that don't systematically glitch out?

lordy88

Hey guys,

I'm building a PC for my friend to play Diablo III. He told me 'as cheap as I need to be able to play it.' He doesn't need it maxed out or anything, just to enjoy it without too much frustration.

Here's the build I put together for him:

I have two sticks of Gskill 2gb Ram (making it 4gb total) as well as an old dvd/cd drive that I will be sticking into the machine. Will this work for the man? Should I make improvements or downgrade somewhere?

Thanks for any help at all.

Sarcasm

Hey guys,

I'm building a PC for my friend to play Diablo III. He told me 'as cheap as I need to be able to play it.' He doesn't need it maxed out or anything, just to enjoy it without too much frustration.

I have two sticks of Gskill 2gb Ram (making it 4gb total) as well as an old dvd/cd drive that I will be sticking into the machine. Will this work for the man? Should I make improvements or downgrade somewhere?

I am gonna guess here. But the CPU will totally kill (choke) the GPU. Even for a dual core. Well not maybe choke persay but not use it to fullest. Your better off going with an i3 or i5 for a bit more money.

Mr Swine

Banned
Hey guys,

That is more than enough for Diablo III that GPU is tons better than the one sitting on my moms Laptop (I7 quad core with GeForce 540) and it runs the game really great. So that is enough :)

nocode

Looks good!

I'd suggest grabbing an extra fan or two for the Shinobi though. BitFenix's own Spectre Pro's are really nice.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll definitely look at some fans.

I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions once I get all the parts, so I'll be back!

I'm looking to upgrade my GPU (got a 5770 at the minute) and I can get a GTX 560Ti 448 for near £160 or so, should I jump on it at that price, go for a 7850 or wait off?

A 7850 is around £25-30 more.

I'd go for the 7850. More VRAM, runs cooler, OC's decently. It's more futureproof with the extra VRAM.

lordy88

I am gonna guess here. But the CPU will totally kill (choke) the GPU. Even for a dual core. Well not maybe choke persay but not use it to fullest. Your better off going with an i3 or i5 for a bit more money.

That is more than enough for Diablo III that GPU is tons better than the one sitting on my moms Laptop (I7 quad core with GeForce 540) and it runs the game really great. So that is enough :)

Thanks guys! I think I'll convince him to throw an extra $40 in there for the i3 CPU.

Yeah I'd seen the 7850 OCs well but there is just something about the 560Ti 448 that keeps making me come back to it, plus the price is pretty good too.

Trust me when I say you don't want to be limited by 1.28 GB of VRAM, especially if you like the high-end games or lots of AA.

SYNTAX182

How come Asrock H61M-VS isn't listed as having overclock options in the budget builds? Is it because it's limited compared to the P67 and Z68 boards? I go to the bios and it shows some overclocking options.

Would it be a waste to put a i5 2500k on this board and overclock?

How come Asrock H61M-VS isn't listed as having overclock options in the budget builds? Is it because it's limited compared to the P67 and Z68 boards? I go to the bios and it shows some overclocking options.

Would it be a waste to put a i5 2500k on this board and overclock?

That's how it goes for SB motherboards.

H61 = supports built-in GPU, doesn't support OC
H67 = H61 with extras like more USB/SATA ports
P67 = supports OC, doesn't support build-in GPU
Z68 = supports OC and built-in GPU

SYNTAX182

That's how it goes for SB motherboards.

H61 = supports built-in GPU, doesn't support OC
H67 = H61 with extras like more USB/SATA ports
P67 = supports OC, doesn't support build-in GPU
Z68 = supports OC and built-in GPU

Yeah. Just that when I go to the bios of the Asrock h61m-vs, there's some OC options there. But I just did a quick glance. Probably limited features for OC'ing through. Good to know. Thanks for the info.

Chris R

So question for people in the know, is the i7 really worth the $100 more than the i5? I mean sure having a higher base clock sounds nice, but I'd be overclocking either way. The only other difference is the higher L3 cache and having 8 threads instead of 4.

So question for people in the know, is the i7 really worth the $100 more than the i5? I mean sure having a higher base clock sounds nice, but I'd be overclocking either way. The only other difference is the higher L3 cache and having 8 threads instead of 4.

For gaming? No. For video editing etc? Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom