• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. Buy my GTX 570 2.56 GB's, I have two of them. $230.

In all seriousness, try telling us your budget.

I did on the previous page. I'd consider it, but $230 is just a little out of my budget =/

Do you have a link to it?

Do you guys have a recommendation for a video card around $150-170 range for this PC? :)

ASUS M5A88-V EVO AM3+ AMD 880G
Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz
750W Corsair TX
8GB ram

I want to be able to play all games at high settings. 60 fps not necessary.

Willing to go over the price if necessary...

mkenyon

Banned
For gaming? No. For video editing etc? Yes.
Actually, I'd edit this general statement to "For streaming gaming and multimedia, yes. For straight gaming, no."
Who makes mice that don't systematically glitch out?
Coolermaster and Steel Series. Roccat is new on the scene, but I know some Euro tribers who swear by their stuff. I honestly don't know anyone in a very large circle that uses logitech anymore.

So I don't understand why Logitech is incapable of manufacturing a mouse which doesn't glitch out from time to time (almost always failing to recognize diagonal upper-right movements sporadically once in a blue moon). My current G500 has been pretty good about this, but last week it did this shit twice on me while playing Dota 2.

Who makes mice that don't systematically glitch out?

That's weird, I used to get that problem too (diagonal down-right wouldn't register) on my old G5. I think it only happened in certain older games so I blamed it on the way they programmed mouse acceleration and not the mouse. But maybe I was wrong. I've been using the newer G5 (with two side buttons) for a while and haven't encountered that.

UK gaffer thinking about buying a PC soon. Are there any places you would recommend me looking? What kind of prices would I be looking at for, say, a low/mid-range setup that could run recent gaming releases to a semi-decent degree?

MrBig

UK gaffer thinking about buying a PC soon. Are there any places you would recommend me looking? What kind of prices would I be looking at for, say, a low/mid-range setup that could run recent gaming releases to a semi-decent degree?

Determine your budget and look over the recommended configurations in the OP. UK online shops are listed at the bottom of the OP. Once you have a general idea of what you're looking for people in here would gladly help you out. The "Enhanced" config from Hazaro's list is a good starting point.

No.

aktham

Does your laptop have an older chipset? Have you updated the firmware?

Intel 520 is Sandforce, so I'm not super sold on it. Maybe look at the Samsung 830

I had everything updated. I've tried all kinds of tweaks and drivers, but the stuttering never went away. The laptop is 2nd gen i7 from 2011 (Dell XPS L502X)

A little late with the update, but here goes. I upgrade the laptop's SSD to the Samsung 830 and the stuttering issue is now completely gone. So if you have a Dell XPS L502X, know that the crucial m4 has issues with it. It worked perfectly fine on my 2 desktops.

Thanks for the suggestion Hazaro

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I had everything updated. I've tried all kinds of tweaks and drivers, but the stuttering never went away. The laptop is 2nd gen i7 from 2011 (Dell XPS L502X)

A little late with the update, but here goes. I upgrade the laptop's SSD to the Samsung 830 and the stuttering issue is now completely gone. So if you have a Dell XPS L502X, know that the crucial m4 has issues with it. It worked perfectly fine on my 2 desktops.

Thanks for the suggestion Hazaro
I know some of the older laptops can have issues (Had Intel X80M problems on laptops). A 2nd gen i7 I wouldn't think would have issues though. Glad it's working now, keep an eye on it to be sure.

kharma45

Looking to build yourself or get one built for you?

Actually, I'd edit this general statement to "For streaming gaming and multimedia, yes. For straight gaming, no."

Coolermaster and Steel Series. Roccat is new on the scene, but I know some Euro tribers who swear by their stuff. I honestly don't know anyone in a very large circle that uses logitech anymore.

*raises fist* what did I tell you about correcting me? It's my job to correct YOU, old man. Now get back in your chair and keep browsing the web for new GPU's. :p

mkenyon

Banned
Haha, the only reason I brought it up is because knowing I wasn't going to do any multimedia stuff, I got 2500K's for both my gaming rigs. Time came to start streaming gameplay, and it was basically impossible at an acceptable performance level even @ 5.0Ghz. Not something that gets mentioned very often, but people seem to be taking to the streaming craze pretty big right now. Good thing to plan for.

Also, Gene V listed at a few different places all around $220. Wonder if that will be the 'official' price, or if that's inflated due to the new hotness. Either way, do want.

ag-my001

So my purchase date keeps getting moved back and items on my list keep getting delisted. Is the 7850 ~ 6950? Also, have the price drops from the new cards gone into effect, or should I still wait another week or two?

Big Chungus

My brother is looking to upgrade his processor.

He currently has a AMD Phenom IIx 2 550.

Would a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition make a big difference or is it not worth it?

So I'm starting to round up potential parts for my new build and I'm paying more attention to cases and cooling this time around. I've been looking at the Corsair 300R and it looks like a damn good case for the money, but from what I've been reading there isn't enough clearance to fit an H100. So I guess my question is what are some affordable cases (like ~$100 or less) with good cable management options that'll fit an H100?

Aesius

My brother is looking to upgrade his processor.

He currently has a AMD Phenom IIx 2 550.

Would a AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition make a big difference or is it not worth it?

Came in this thread to post this exact same thing. So...yeah. I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

Hawk269

Guys----I need some serious help....

I ordered my parts for my super rig, i73960x, Asus Rampage IV Mobo, Memory etc....but now I am seriously questioning the purchase. I guess I need some good advice here. My main reason for questioning all this is the whole PCI 3.0 and how IVY Bridge will support it Natively. I basically want to be a little future proof and I am thinking I might be better served with whatever the top of the line Ivy CPU at launch and the ASUS Sabertooth Mobo to go along with it.

Since I only game at 1080p, I am not sure if I will ever go 3way SLI..since the Saber only support 2xSLI. The nice thing about the Rampage IV was that it did support up to 4-way SLI...but i has not been confirmed if Nvidia will certify the Rampage for 3.0, since I know the 3960x and the Rampage are 3.0..but need to be certified first.

I am so f'n confused. There is no issue with money, so I am not flipping like fish due to the expense of the 3960x and Mobo...I am just more concerned about future proof, pce3.0 and the fact that Ivy's top line at release CPU might give me more for gaming that the 3960x would...or am I wrong?

Anyways, I appreciate any opinions and I am not in a real hurry..although my Rampage just arrived and the CPU will be here tomorrow, I can easily return them to Amazon for a full refund.

Let me know your thoughts guys...as always, really appreciate any and all input.

scogoth

I ordered my parts for my super rig, i73960x, Asus Rampage IV Mobo, Memory etc....but now I am seriously questioning the purchase. I guess I need some good advice here. My main reason for questioning all this is the whole PCI 3.0 and how IVY Bridge will support it Natively. I basically want to be a little future proof and I am thinking I might be better served with whatever the top of the line Ivy CPU at launch and the ASUS Sabertooth Mobo to go along with it.

Since I only game at 1080p, I am not sure if I will ever go 3way SLI..since the Saber only support 2xSLI. The nice thing about the Rampage IV was that it did support up to 4-way SLI...but i has not been confirmed if Nvidia will certify the Rampage for 3.0, since I know the 3960x and the Rampage are 3.0..but need to be certified first.

I am so f'n confused. There is no issue with money, so I am not flipping like fish due to the expense of the 3960x and Mobo...I am just more concerned about future proof, pce3.0 and the fact that Ivy's top line at release CPU might give me more for gaming that the 3960x would...or am I wrong?

Anyways, I appreciate any opinions and I am not in a real hurry..although my Rampage just arrived and the CPU will be here tomorrow, I can easily return them to Amazon for a full refund.

Let me know your thoughts guys...as always, really appreciate any and all input.

What is it, 40 PCIe 2.0 lanes? You ll be fine. The 680 only now is slightly bandwidth constrained by 8x 2.0. That being said, the EVGA z77 has the plx chip for PCIe multiplexing giving full 16x 3.0 goodness in SLI =)

Came in this thread to post this exact same thing. So...yeah. I'd like to know the answer to this as well.

I can't speak to the specifics of jumping from processor to processor but I've been using the 965 BE for over a year now with no complaints. I have it overclocked to ~3.8ghz and it's been smooth as butter.

In other news, I just upgraded my monitor today. I got an HP 2511x. I had a Samsung Syncmaster 2333 which just wasn't doing it for me. I'll upgrading a couple of more components before Diablo 3 comes out. I want to move out my GTX460 and get a 7850 and I also want to bump my 4GB of RAM up to 8GB. I figure those should be good enough upgrades to last me a year.

I also have a new mouse coming in (Logitech G9X) and a new Diablo 3 mousepad.

Hawk269

What is it, 40 PCIe 2.0 lanes? You ll be fine. The 680 only now is slightly bandwidth constrained by 8x.That being said, the EVGA z77 has the plx chip for PCIe multiplexing giving full 16x 3.0 goodness =)

According to the specs over at Newegg for the Rampage, it is as follows:

Expansion Slots
PCI Express 3.0 x16 5 (x16, x16, x16, x16, x8)
PCI Express x1

So are suggesting, I go forward with the parts I just ordered and am beginning to receive?

scogoth

According to the specs over at Newegg for the Rampage, it is as follows:

Expansion Slots
PCI Express 3.0 x16 5 (x16, x16, x16, x16, x8)
PCI Express x1

So are suggesting, I go forward with the parts I just ordered and am beginning to receive?

Yes the EVGA part was just my gushing. That's the board I think I'll be using unless a full ATX maximus z77 comes out. Mkenyons maximus gene doesn't cut it for me

What is it, 40 PCIe 2.0 lanes? You ll be fine. The 680 only now is slightly bandwidth constrained by 8x 2.0. That being said, the EVGA z77 has the plx chip for PCIe multiplexing giving full 16x 3.0 goodness in SLI =)

I don't think the 680 is constrained by x8 PCI-E, personally. Would like some conclusive, scientific testing.

Lingitiz

So I managed to unlock the 4th core on my AMD Athlon II X3 455 Rana 3.3GHz, but the idle temps are reading quite high 45C-52C. Is this a faulty reading or is it just running that hot?

Edit: lots of Reggie face on this page.

mkenyon

Banned
Yes the EVGA part was just my gushing. That's the board I think I'll be using unless a full ATX maximus z77 comes out. Mkenyons maximus gene doesn't cut it for me
Maximus V Formula is already revealed. Even comes with an external headphone amp that switches between sources, and built in chipset watercooling. On tablet, so I have no links.

clav

As a side note, is it safe to run those idle temps? I've seen it get as high as 60C at full load though. Hard to say if the temps are even accurate.

If this website is correct: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon II X3 455 - ADX455WFK32GM (ADX455WFGMBOX).html

the CPU has a maximum tolerance of 75 degrees Celsius.

I think it's somewhat safe. If you're concerned, consider buying an aftermarket cooler and some new thermal paste although the stock AMD heatsink isn't too bad.

CPUs do have an automatic force shutoff mechanism if they become too hot to protect the computer and its components.

How's the airflow in your case?

Razgreez

Serious question, since i'm going to be building a new system around it. Which is the smallest case that is able to fit a GTX680?

n0n44m

yes you do ;)

as for the 3.0 thing ... if the Rampage 3.0 doesn't get certified Asus is gonna have some explaining to do lol ... so I'm pretty sure it'll happen although I haven't really looked into why it hasnt been certified yet (the guy with the quad 680 and triple screen 2.0 / 3.0 testing had to use registry hacks to enable 3.0 right?)

but more importantly ... 1080p. And a 3960x. still does not compute from my point of view. My 2600K @ 4.8 + a heavily overclocked GTX480 has no issue with 90% of the current games at 1080p maxed. A GTX 680 would totally massacre everything, and TWO 680s would probably still give you 60 fps in low power mode ;)

Why go with the 3960X ? AFAIK the only game that benefits from more cores than the 1155 socket has to offer is Civilization V (against AI players). The other benefits of the 2011 platform (quad memory, more PCI-e lanes) only benefit gaming when you're going for TRI/Quad SLI setups and multimonitor setups which need to communicate a lot more megapixels of frames per seconds over the PCI-e lanes than you would need to do for your 1080p TV.

So in your case, I predict you will see hardly any gain from using the 3960X over a 2600K. It gets worse though. The 3960X (and any 2011 CPU for that matter) run quite a bit hotter due to their higher TDP, which means that even with a good motherboard it will take quite some effort (and cooling) to run them at the same clockspeed a 2600K can with the same cooling and a good (but cheaper) motherboard. Since most games don't care about the #cores / threads over 4, but still respond somewhat to clockspeed, I'd bet you can get higher framerates on the 1155 socket.

And now that there will be Ivy Bridge, with even more performance per mhz, AND an even lower TDP (allowing for even higher overclocking?), it seems kind of a no-brainer to me...

Lower energy usage, higher gaming performance, cheaper CPU and motherboard (less memory sticks) ...

socket 2011 is a great platform for productivity workstations or extreme gaming, but comfy couch 1080p 60hz gaming is neither of those IMHO ;)

Serious question, since i'm going to be building a new system around it. Which is the smallest case that is able to fit a GTX680?

Fractal Design Arc Mini if you remove one of the HDD cages I guess?

I'm pretty sure it should fit the Silverstone TJ08-E

those two are pretty much the best mATX cases out there at the moment, so you'll want to go with either of those two for a nice small(ish) gaming rig anyway

now for the lulz

Silverstone SG05

Alienware X51

ParityBit

When will the GTX680 even be readily available? Seems everyone is sold out/over charging. And any word on the price-point for the Ivy-Bridge? Still undecided if I should wait for that or get the i7-2600k

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Trying to build a midrange pc for a mate and it's a nightmare on the gpu front...

Should I get him a 570 and just be done with it? Waiting for a 660 seems like a difficult task for him since he kinda wants the pc within a week or two.

mxgt

Banned
Trying to build a midrange pc for a mate and it's a nightmare on the gpu front...

Should I get him a 570 and just be done with it? Waiting for a 660 seems like a difficult task for him since he kinda wants the pc within a week or two.

570 is going to be a great card for a few more years at the minimum imo

Ok, I think I've got my build down and should hopefully purchase everything within a week

GPU: Radeon HD 7850 2GB
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-2550K 3.40 GHz
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 912
HDD: 1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM
RAM: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory
Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
700 Watt power supply

This should be a pretty good setup (right?).

My one concern is getting the PC hooked up to my 5.1 receiver. The motherboard's audio is 7.1 and my receiver only has an Optical In. Will I be able to use a Optical SPDIF cable to run from the mobo to the receiver and receive 5.1 sound?

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
Decent build?

Silverstone SG05BB-450 Sugo Mini-ITX Cube Case All Black, with 450W SFX PSU, 80 Plus bronze, Black

ASRock H61M-ITX Intel H61 (Socket 1155) Motherboard

2nd Generation Intel® Core? i3 2120 3.3GHz Socket LGA1155 - Retail.

8GB (2x4GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black LP, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V

64GB Crucial RealSSD M4, 2.5" SSD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, MLC-Flash, Read 500MB/s, Write 95MB/s *New Version*

Samsung SN-208BB/BEBE Notebook Slim 8xDVD±R, 6xDVD+DL, 6xDVD-DL, DVD+RW x8, -RW x6, x5 RAM SATA, Black

AKASA AK-CB050 SATA cable for slimline opticals (SATA+Molex to Mini SATA Power & Data)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit SP1, Operating System, Single, - OEM

-A GPU will be chosen later, probably HD 6850/70 but I will use integrated graphics for a couple of weeks.
-I have a mechanical hard drive I can reuse too so the SSD will be just for the OS and some programs.
-Money is tight but I'm really unsure about the i3, maybe I should spend another £40 on the i5-2320? However the board is Ivy Bridge compatible so I could buy an Ivy Bridge quad in a year or so if the i3 will be fine for now.

I will mainly be playing RPGs, MMOs and strategy games. (+Max Payne 3 :D)
The resolution is 1680X1050.

Sarcasm

Well if you wait a couple weeks, you should be able to get the Ivy Bridge i5 2500k equivalent for about the same price (or within 10 - 20 dollars).
Sorry not really keeping up worth hardware but are you taking about the new Intel CPU? Well it still be able to overclock?

1-D_FTW

Sorry not really keeping up worth hardware but are you taking about the new Intel CPU? Well it still be able to overclock?

Yes. It's the successor to Sandy Bridge. Isn't much of an improvement, but it should be 10 - 15 percent faster and about 20 percent more energy efficient. Uses the same 1155 socket as Sandy Bridge.

The i5-3570K will be overclockable. Same as Sandy Bridge. K models can overclock.

Razgreez

Fractal Design Arc Mini if you remove one of the HDD cages I guess?

I'm pretty sure it should fit the Silverstone TJ08-E

those two are pretty much the best mATX cases out there at the moment, so you'll want to go with either of those two for a nice small(ish) gaming rig anyway

now for the lulz

Silverstone SG05

Alienware X51

So the Lian-Li PC-Q08 wouldn't get the job done? I've seen people fit a GTX480 in it and it's around about the same size as the GTX680 to my understanding. Just need to be sure before i pull the trigger and complete the order

Chris R

Also, Gene V listed at a few different places all around $220. Wonder if that will be the 'official' price, or if that's inflated due to the new hotness. Either way, do want.

I'm hoping some place has it for $199 when Ivy Bridge chips become available, that or another great looking m-ATX board comes along for less :p

And it would be nice if the Fractal Design Arc Mini had just USB 3.0 headers up front instead of 2 2.0 and only 1 3.0 :(

just installed a hyper 212+ on my nephew's rig.
can't seem to get to that magical 4.0 barrier without a crash on prime95.
havent gone beyond 1.5v yet, as people here has warned me not to pass that.
anyone know of a good bio setting?
here's my specs.

1090t stock with CM 212+
MSI 890gxm-g65
Cooler Master HAF 932 with 3 exhaust fans
*all motherboard drivers up to date.*

thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom